Palatine, IL
Margreth Riemer Reservoir Share
Uploaded By: notapro   (Taken 11/2010)
View of Reservoir

Windy

1    6/23/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: Jax11
Pros: - Lots of air space to take pretty much any line you'd like.
- Solid elevation.
- Well mowed fairways
- Different then most courses in the area
- Not crowded
- Decent Teepads
- Baskets are in great shape
- Tee signs are solid
- Course flows well
Cons: - Not required to hit any particular line.
- The wind swirls up and over the hilly terrain and is difficult to read.
- The rough is thick and it can be hard to track errant throws.
- Course lacks challenge besides the wind.
- Tee pads are too small.
- The hole design is not all that interesting, and does not utilize elevation to its fullest.
Other Thoughts: Margreth Riemer Reservoir is basically a prairie course with very few aerial obstacles. You can choose pretty much any line you want. What's more important than your line is where your disc lands. If you do not sit a shot in the fairway it will be in knee high grass. In combination with the rolling hills and minimal reference points errant throws are hard to track even if you watch your throw finish. Wind is likely the biggest challenge factor on this course. With lack of trees its hard to read the prairie grass and figure out what the wind is doing down the fairway. The overall course design is lack luster and has very little wow factor. A more "aggressive" course designer might be able to utilize the elevation better but the lack of aerial obstacles is a major detriment to the course. Really the only way to raise my rating of this course would be a complete redesign. Hit it if you are in the area or want to learn how to play the wind. Otherwise it is not worth the trip.

C = Cool concept, but falls short of potential

1    5/14/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B (It is not the beauty per se, but the very unique feeling of playing on a wide open hillside that is really cool to me.)
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

tricky 9 holes

6/10/2008   6/13/2008
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Great elevation used around a reservior.
Scenic.
Easy to follow around.
Cons: Only 9 holes.
Tall grass off the 10-15 ft fairways makes it easy to loose a disc.
Known for a lot of wind.
Other Thoughts: The fairway grass is not cut wide enough. Beginners will have have trouble with this and the wind.