Westchester, IL
Mayfair Park Share
Uploaded By: Disc Golf Greg Hole #8 (Taken 8/2008)
3 / --   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Tee: Basket located between all those trees in the middle.

Mayfair Course

5+    6/21/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: bigbadberry3
Pros: 9 holes - easy and quick
Perfect for beginners
Hole 2 has a creek running parallel
Usually empty
Nice open holes and wooded holes
Cons: Shorter side hole lengths
Missing signs to a few holes
No throwing pads
Pretty easy for people who have played before
Other Thoughts: Great place to learn the game!

On second thought...

2-4    8/31/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: Three Putt
Pros: Mayfair Park at first glance is a joke. It's a really short, not very challenging layout that probably is not going to be attractive to anybody who is into disc golf enough to be looking up course reviews on a website. In short, it's not for us. To consider Mayfair Park and appreciate what it is, you have to be able to look at it from another perspective.

The course is on a very small piece of land split in two by a creek. Holes #1, 2, 8 & 9 are by the parking lot; holes # 3-7 are on the other side of the creek. The two sections are hidden from each other by trees and overgrowth on the banks of the creek, and the section that #3-7 on is mostly open. Somewhere around hole # 6 I realized that despite the wide-open nature of the park, they actually tried to put the few trees they had to work with in your way. Hole # 9 has an interesting pin placement and makes a good closing hole. For very young players or very new players, the design actually would be very good. If this course was part of a middle school grounds, it would pretty much be perfect for their audience.
Cons: The creek is pretty deep with some nasty shule, and hole # 2 shoots right by it. For the audience that the course is designed for, it seems like it would be really easy for players to loose discs there.

Hole # 7 is actually a driver hole; it's over 300'. Unfortunately, it runs right by the road so if you flip your drive you are in the street. To get that hole that long, it stretches past where the tee for # 5 and the basket for # 4 are, making those actually in the middle of the fairway. The hole would be safer and more in keeping with the rest of the course if it was shorter and aimed away from the road.

There need to be a directional sign at # 2's basket that tells you how to get to the # 3 tee. All you can see from that basket is the tee for #8, and the baskets across the creek are hidden from view.

The tees are rutted dirt, and all the signs show are the hole number.

Not surprisingly, the holes are pretty close together. Given that you should be throwing putters here, it's actually not nearly as bad as it could be.
Other Thoughts: After a couple of times around (a round takes about 15-20 minutes) I really started to realize that this wasn't your usual "we bought 9 baskets and scattered them in the park" terrible courses. There was some thought and care put into the design of this course, and if you fit into the demographic of young/beginner/not very serious players this course would actually be pretty fun. Compare this course to Volunteer Park in Romeoville (another course that tries to fill this niche) and you can start to appreciate that for this type of course, they did a pretty good job.

So far as rating it goes, these types of courses just don't hold up very well. In the end it still is a really short, not very challenging layout that probably is not going to be attractive to anybody who is into disc golf enough to be looking up course reviews on a website. However there is a lot more to this course than you might notice at first glance. If you have kids you want to teach disc golf to in the Chicago area, this would be a great place to do that.

Not Boring for Beginners

2-4    4/20/2013   4/23/2013
Review By: GrampsFish
Pros: Clean, well kept area. Interesting and challenging for someone like me.
Cons: That creek - I don't want to go wading.
Other Thoughts: I dunno that you could really call me a beginner - I played fairly often from 1980 until 1988, when an avid casual player would have a Frisbee 119g, a 141 g, and maybe a 160g.

And then the kids changed my priorities and I didn't play from 1988 until 2013 (if you're trying to do some math and estimate my age, I turn 60 this summer).

When no one else is around, I spend most of my time on the parking lot side of the creek.

If I played now the way I used to, it wouldn't be all that uncommon to put my first shot within 4 or 5 feet of the hole. When I first started playing again, it wasn't uncommon for me to take 4 or 5 shots at the first hole (part of it is the layoff, but most of it is that today's discs fly differently and I haven't yet figured out how to consistently make them do what I want).

So when I have the course to myself, I do the first hole, turn around, and try different ways of hitting hole 9 (I'm one of those "accuracy before distance" kind of guys). When I can consistently put my first shot within 10 feet of the holes, I'll move on to the other side of the creek. But with the changes in elevation and all the trees, there are a heck of a lot of shots I can practice without ever crossing the creek.

That 50' putt I made last Sunday was a rush... but it didn't take away the disappointment of having a first shot that left me needing to make a 50' putt.

So, as kind of a "beginner," there is a lot about this course to keep me interested and coming back.

They Tried

2-4    10/27/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Good use of available elevation (#'s 2, 3, 5, 6, 9).
- Good use of available water (#'s 2, 3, 5).
- Trees and bushes create line-shaping opportunities (#'s 2, 3, 7, 8, 9).
- Decent variety of shots required. Easy enough in most spots for beginners, but with enough of a challenge to not completely bore more experienced players. Decent enough as a putter-only course for intermediate players in need of some quick discin'.
- Fun enough for more experienced (but not necessarily accomplished) discers who might want to take a bunch of challenging but attainable ace runs with a putter or comet without it being mindless or boring. The risk of the trees in conjunction with the creek definitely gives one or two holes a bit of "pucker factor" if a throw isn't executed well.
Cons: - #4's basket and #5's tee are dangerously close to (i.e., in) #7's fairway. Potentially hazardous in general play conditions.
- Natural tees are rutted in places. The tee signs are placed in awkward positions that interfere with a normal throwing motion. One tee is squished between its sign and some bushes.
- The signage consists of a large oval sign mounted on a pole. The only information they contain is the hole number.
- For everything good going on here, it's still just a little pitch n' putt niner. The course seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. Not truly easy enough (because of the creek) for beginners at the elementary school but not challenging enough for grown-up discers to want to spend more than a round or two at.
Other Thoughts: - Hole #2 is a downhill (RHBH) hyzer route over the creek. The pin is nestled in a pretty little green area with the creek on the right side. Dense bushy trees and telephone pole support wires prevent a straight- forward route. While the creek is easily avoidable for experienced players, the steepness of its banks make it a nasty hazard for newer players happening into it.
- #3 throws back over the creek in a huge anhyzer that needs to clear a small tree and float to the green. Trees and schule knock down discs that go a bit long. Discs that sail too long risk rolling into into the creek. This hole is a somewhat ridiculous beginner's hole, although a total bail-out route is available.
- #'s 4 and 5 criss cross a mostly open field. The creek lurks behind #5's basket, with a real risk of rolling down into it on anything long.
- # 6 plays alongside a steep grassy slope that descends on the right to form a small suburban valley. Long rollaways are possible here.
- # 7 is the long brute of the lot. Without signage to tell the length, I'll guesstimate it to clock in at 330-350'. This hole plays alongside a small road on the right before heading back to the somewhat wooded front part to finish off.
- #'s 8 and 9 play through several small trees, forcing the player to hit their line. #9's basket sits slightly elevated on a little bump of land which is a nice enough touch for an elementary school course.

Worst course ever!

1    6/6/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: phildafunk1
Pros: It exists. There is nothing positive other than that.
Cons: By far the worst course I could ever even dream up. The creek running along the whole thing isn't fun or challenging, it's a pain in the a**. If I lived on the course, I might play it, if I had to drive more than 2 blocks, no way.

Beginner

5+    6/8/2010   6/10/2010
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Some holes had a bunch of trees in the way, making some lines almost impossible to find. I don't know how you play #2. I ain't going in that creek.
- One longer hole to let loose.
- Risk/Reward on a lot of holes
- Baskets are OK
Cons: - Dirt tee pads are poor, and poorly placed. If you want me to tee off into a bush, then it makes sense I guess.
- One of the shortest courses I have ever played. A lot of the holes on the back are simple approach shots.
- Some teepads and baskets are pretty much in other holes' fairways, could be hairy if crowded.
- Missing signage for #1 is a bad way to start. Some of the other signs are pretty wrecked as well.
Other Thoughts: - This course uses risk/reward in a lot of places, but it doesn't make it fun. Short holes with the creek right next to the basket doesn't make them good holes in my book.
- Is #9 even 100 feet? What a joke of a hole. You miss the trees, you get a 2. That's it.
- I hate this course, but I feel like I am biased. I think it is challenging to get a good score, but only because I am so scared to end up in that creek (I have never been in there, but I have heard it is a mudpit). Risk>>>>>>>reward, I think that is my problem with it.

1    5/27/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: mykeg44
Pros: If you're looking for a course to bring a first time player, this is the place. There are discernible dirt tee pads for most shots, and about half the holes have a sign.

The park was clean and free of any debris or garbage.

The creek that runs through the course adds a little hazard on a couple shots, but for the most part is a nice little bit of scenery as it doesn't really come into play on any shot other than #2.
Cons: This is basically a grade school course, so it's almost pointless to go through all of the cons. There simply isn't enough land here to make a legitimate 9-hole DG course.

Holes 3-7 play back and forth through an open field with a few small, scattered trees that provide some minor obstacles, but nothing a novice player couldn't handle. 1-2 and 8-9 have some trees as obstacles, but these are all 150-200ft shots reachable by a putter for most players.

Hole 7 (listed at ~380 on the sign) does allow you to , air it out, but it plays along a street which could be hazardous if you shank your drive.
Other Thoughts: I came here expecting a small, beginner and it met my expectations. It's an ideal place to bring a young player, or first timer, but even most novice players will find most of the shots here too easy to enjoy.

Chestwester

5+    9/19/2009   10/3/2009
Review By: Countchunkula
This review was updated on 1/5/2013
Pros: This course is almost always empty.
Hole 2 is fun, the prefered RHBH route is over a creek for the entire flight minus the last 20'.
Cons: The tee for hole one has been displaced by an addition to the rec center. (I teed off from the parking lot)
Dirt tees. (They were worse, but someone recently added dirt to fill in the ruts)
With the exception of hole 7, all of the holes are very short.
Half of the holes are wide open with at most one tree in play. Two holes are both very short and totally wide open; good for nothing but ace runs.
The water in the creek is nasty, it took most of the stamp off of a near new disc that was only in the water for 5 minutes.
This course used to have poison ivy although I have not seen any recently.
Other Thoughts: The main reason that I come back to this course is that I can get in a couple of rounds in 45 minutes if I'm in a rush.
The Oak Brook course just west of here was much more challenging and rewarding.

Odd little course

1    7/23/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays around a small park with a creek and an empty retention pond. Some of the holes play through stands of trees, the rest play in an open field with a couple random trees. The creek comes into play on a few of the holes, and adds a nice bit of risk/reward that is otherwise missing here. The retention pond can punish poor shots on one hole.

Though many of the holes are in the open, they use the couple trees around well to protect the pin or to add a little difficulty to the holes. The first few holes and the last two play through more trees, and will test your accuracy a little more.

The tees are natural, but most were nice and level and were fine to tee off from. There are signs on all but the last two holes that showed hole layout and distance. There is a map at the beginning of the course that makes navigating the course easier.

Cons: The course is very very short. All but one of the holes are easily reachable with only a putter, and most have an easy open hyzer line. The one longer hole gives a chance to air it out, but plays directly over another basket, and a tee, making for some safety issues if others are playing.

Some of the tees are very short, with bumpy grass making it difficult to use the space behind the tee. Many of the tee signs that are still there are old and broken. A few tees are placed with trees or bushes at the front corner, severely restricting your runup and follow through, and I found this a little frustrating.

The creek and retention pond were nice obstacles, I just wish the course design used them more since there are a large number of very short wide open holes with no risk at all. All the holes in the open feel very similar, so the course gets a little repetitive as you play.

There are a couple places where the course flow is not entirely obvious, make sure you check out the course map and make a note of these spots. After the second hole, follow the creek around the corner almost to the road. After the seventh hole, walk past the third tee back toward the second basket.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great place for a new beginner to play, with no real chance of losing a disc unless the creek is really high. More experienced players won't find any real challenge here, even if they carry nothing but a putter.

This course did an ok job with the space available, but there isn't a lot to work with here. Don't go out of your way to play here, there are lots of better courses around.

D Grade = Dud

1    4/9/2009   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- D+