Fayetteville, NC
Mazarick Park - East Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #2 (Taken 2/2009)

Bring the map

1    11/22/2013   11/27/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I really liked the course at the beginning. The first hole is an elevated tee with a wide fairway below. Excellent way to tee off the course. From there it gets more tight and technical but the elevation changes are pretty constant. It's a nice balance of downhill and uphill holes that keep the player guessing. And for the amount of trees on most of the holes, there is quite a bit of length.

I don't want to be too short on what is good about this course because there is plenty. There just isn't much that is memorable. It's a collection of well-designed fairways of playable width, with real lines to take a shot at through a light forest with with moderate elevation changes. You could describe almost every hole here as good and solid but not as notable or signature. If you have a little patience with the flow and bring a map (Good lord, you will want to bring a map) you will enjoy the course.
Cons: While I like most of the holes here, there are a few that I really did not care for and most of them related to the bike path that goes through the whole park. Now maybe nobody ever rides there and it isn't a significant issue. But if so, many players aren't going to know that. And the path is maintained enough that I would assume it gets some use. 3 is the primary culprit. The first half of the fairway essentially is a wooden bridge. The ideal flight path is directly over the bridge and then the dog leg is uphill to the right. Potentially a very cool hole. If the bridge wasn't a bike path. That has a a sharp left curve so that if anyone is biking towards you, you cannot see them until after the disc has left your hand.

One of the things that this course helped me realize is that navigation issues become wearisome the longer they persist. Because my opinion on this course deteriorated as it went along and I don't think the course actually got worse. There were issues at the beginning but I took them in stride. At hole six my thoughts were along the line of, "Well, I'll just pull up the map. Oh there it is. Hm, this is a nice hole. I bet the basket is up there to the left. Fun." By sixteen I would have transcribed my inner monologue this way. "C'mon. Really? How many times do I have to pull out this damn map?.....Oh this is the hole. Where the hell is the basket?" It probably wasn't that much worse of a hole. It's just that while a few holes where you don't know where to throw or don't know where to go are fine. A lot can be seriously draining. And this course isn't entirely bereft of next tee signs either. The problem is typically that while the arrow points in the direction of the tee, the actual tee is so far that there are more decisions to make along the way.

A key hole for this is nine. This is another potentially cool hole, with a carry over a marshy section of the creek that the earlier bridge crosses. It would be great except for two things. Not knowing where the basket is really takes the fun out of it. And then there is a long walk from the tee, backtracking to the bridge (that is another hole's fairway) to get to the other side of the carry. Basically sums up what the cons are for this course that has some good hole design in places: lack of signage and long walks that don't feel warranted.
Other Thoughts: I do recommend the course and don't mean to be too harsh. I think you should play it. You'll enjoy most of the throws. I just want you to be prepared for the stuff that's outside-the-fairway. Above all, I want you to bring the course map. Can't really stress that enough. Bring the map.

2-4    1/11/2013   1/13/2013
Review By: tiger5
This review was updated on 1/17/2013
Pros: Once you figure out the layout of the course it becomes easy to see that Mazarick is a decently challenging. I will agree that the first time I went it took awhile for me to figure out the front nine. Hole one starts at the top of the hill before the parking lot. Although there is no real signage you do get the yardage on most of the tee pads. And the baskets are easy to make out even with out the yellow rim that most wooded courses have. There are white directional arrows on pretty much every hole. To get to hole 2 turn around and walk back up the fairway and you'll find the path on the left that winds it's way back to the second tee pad. Once you see what the "new" tee pads look like you know what to look for. After hole two take a left and you'll get to the tee pad for hole 3. I had to do a double take on this one the first time I saw what you had to throw through. It's across the bride and up the hill. Dangerous for park goers, yes, possible to lose a disc on a bad drive, yes, but all that is worth it. The risk factor on some of these holes is what most courses in the surrounding area are seriously lacking. Take a right to get to hole 4. The tee pad for 5 is pretty much straight ahead once you get to the basket. To get to hole 6 follow the trail past the little shelter/covering and hang a right. Hole 7 will be to the left of basket 6 and the tee pad for 8 is just a little ways in front of the basket for 7. Hole 8 has some water behind it, the basket is on your right and the tee pad for 9 is to your left. Hole 9 you throw over some water and the basket is around the wood line to the right. For hole 10 you have to cross the walking trail and head towards hole 1. You'll see the tee pad that I would think gets mistaken for hole 2. After hole 10 walk towards the building to your left and the tee pad for 11 is on the other side of the parking lot almost directly across from #10 basket. To get to hole 12 follow the curve of the walking trail. Follow the trail to the right of basket 12 to get to the tee pad of 13 (you'll cross the road). Hole 14 is on the right side of the walking trail, you have to keep this drive straight or you'll be wet/muddy. Take a left at basket 14 to get to 15 which is a tight uphill shot and 16 will be on your left, throw back downhill and take a right to get to 17. Once you finish 17 take a left and follow the walking trail back towards the parking lot you'll keep walking into the woods and see the tee pad on the left. 18 takes you back to the parking lot.
Cons: Obviously signage is an issue. I'm sure this is a course that is in the process of being reconstructed, you can get old tee boxes as you walk the course. I heard bad things about this course when I first got to the area, so I was very hesitant to play it, but after talking to some locals I decided to give it a shot. Aside from the lack of signage and some of the upkeep (in comparison to other courses in the area) I was pleasantly surprised at the difficulty level of this course. The risk / reward factor on some of these holes is exactly what I've been looking for, but haven't really found around the area. That being said, I do think this course needs some fixing up in terms signage, course map, more defined fairways (mainly in the more heavily wooded areas) which can be fixed by getting rid of some of the undergrowth around the fairways. I believe this course has the potential to be 3.5+, if it was more well maintained. The biggest reason the up keep of this course stands out so much, is because most of the other courses in the surround area are getting a much needed face lift after the fall and winter months.
Other Thoughts: Knowing the layout of the course is key, but it's not like it's impossible to figure out if you've never been there. There's a greater since of difficulty in terms of being accurate with your shots. I'd say it's a challenging course but has potential to be much better if they fixed some basic things. Don't let the cons deter you from playing this course. It's got some really fun, challenging and risky shots. You couldn't ask for a better start to a round than hole #1. There's a lot of elevation throughout the course which makes for a wide variety of shots. The fairways are challenging on several holes and I know I've said a number of times, but the risk factor is my favorite part.

meh....

1    1/5/2012   1/5/2012
Review By: magilla311
Pros: The tee boxes are in good condition, and the lines are nice and tight. There's a few nice long holes where you can grip it & rip it, but be wary & stay in the fairway (I'm still pulling thorns out of my back side). It's a helluva challenge for a new player.
Cons: The course is in pretty bad shape. Sure there are multiple trashcans, but very few are used. There are no course maps or scorecards on sight. We were lucky to run into someone that plays the course regularly, otherwise we would've been completely lost.

Nav training in Fayettenam

5+    11/1/2011   11/17/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 12/10/2012
Pros: The course has some sweet shots and can be tough when it wants too be. I love the design if it wasn't for a few dangerous issues and weird OB I'd rate it higher.

nice chainstars

Hole 10 loops back to the parking lot.

If you know how to play the old layout or are with a guide it is still playable and is a Rec level design that would be good for beginners or a quick mid round .

Cons: This course Could easily get a higher rating with some improvements. Tee Signs are needed. most holes just have the Hole # and distance painted on the Pad with no idea where the hole is. Also better navigation signs would be nice

The Pads are raised and are not friendly to a follow through.

If you don't know where your going the old baskets and pads can confuse you. Just remember that all pads are asphalt and not natural on the new course(hole 11 now has a concrete pad) and you are shooting at the chainstars not the old innova baskets.
Navigation overall can be an issue. I completely missed a hole the first time I played the course.

Hole 9 REALLY needs a bridge you have to either hike through the woods and around the corner to the bridge on hole 3 or do a balancing act across a large Pipe.

Hole 3 you throw across a bridge with a walking path that goes around a corner which is ok when a biker is NOT coming around the corner and almost takes a teebird to the Dome. This is a dangerous throw for the walkers who use the path. The same issue can come up on hole 7 and with a shot that is overthrown on hole 9.

When it rains there are some NASTY places on this course that almost seem like you in a swamp. Hole 11 and hole 14 come to mind immediately.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a 3 because I do like the shots it has to offer and I enjoy playing it however there are small issues and design flaws that make it loss some points in my book. If tee signs were added and a bridge on 9 was installed I would look at giving this course a 3.5 but I doubt It would get more from me.

Prefer the OLD course

5+    11/11/2010   1/11/2011
Review By: PMGinNC
Pros: The old course is a good confidence booster. Many birdie opportunities! We generally play this three times when we go.
For those that get hungry you can take a short walk off of 8 to a food mart for a snack during play. Lots of up and down shots make this even better.
There has recently been some cleanup work done (THANKS) on this old course.
Cons: The tee pads need a lot of work but are useable. Many dead and falling trees to watch out for and be aware of.
Other Thoughts: www.fayncdiscgolf.info