Fayetteville, NC
Mazarick Park - East Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #5 (Taken 2/2009)

Bring the map

1    11/22/2013   11/27/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I really liked the course at the beginning. The first hole is an elevated tee with a wide fairway below. Excellent way to tee off the course. From there it gets more tight and technical but the elevation changes are pretty constant. It's a nice balance of downhill and uphill holes that keep the player guessing. And for the amount of trees on most of the holes, there is quite a bit of length.

I don't want to be too short on what is good about this course because there is plenty. There just isn't much that is memorable. It's a collection of well-designed fairways of playable width, with real lines to take a shot at through a light forest with with moderate elevation changes. You could describe almost every hole here as good and solid but not as notable or signature. If you have a little patience with the flow and bring a map (Good lord, you will want to bring a map) you will enjoy the course.
Cons: While I like most of the holes here, there are a few that I really did not care for and most of them related to the bike path that goes through the whole park. Now maybe nobody ever rides there and it isn't a significant issue. But if so, many players aren't going to know that. And the path is maintained enough that I would assume it gets some use. 3 is the primary culprit. The first half of the fairway essentially is a wooden bridge. The ideal flight path is directly over the bridge and then the dog leg is uphill to the right. Potentially a very cool hole. If the bridge wasn't a bike path. That has a a sharp left curve so that if anyone is biking towards you, you cannot see them until after the disc has left your hand.

One of the things that this course helped me realize is that navigation issues become wearisome the longer they persist. Because my opinion on this course deteriorated as it went along and I don't think the course actually got worse. There were issues at the beginning but I took them in stride. At hole six my thoughts were along the line of, "Well, I'll just pull up the map. Oh there it is. Hm, this is a nice hole. I bet the basket is up there to the left. Fun." By sixteen I would have transcribed my inner monologue this way. "C'mon. Really? How many times do I have to pull out this damn map?.....Oh this is the hole. Where the hell is the basket?" It probably wasn't that much worse of a hole. It's just that while a few holes where you don't know where to throw or don't know where to go are fine. A lot can be seriously draining. And this course isn't entirely bereft of next tee signs either. The problem is typically that while the arrow points in the direction of the tee, the actual tee is so far that there are more decisions to make along the way.

A key hole for this is nine. This is another potentially cool hole, with a carry over a marshy section of the creek that the earlier bridge crosses. It would be great except for two things. Not knowing where the basket is really takes the fun out of it. And then there is a long walk from the tee, backtracking to the bridge (that is another hole's fairway) to get to the other side of the carry. Basically sums up what the cons are for this course that has some good hole design in places: lack of signage and long walks that don't feel warranted.
Other Thoughts: I do recommend the course and don't mean to be too harsh. I think you should play it. You'll enjoy most of the throws. I just want you to be prepared for the stuff that's outside-the-fairway. Above all, I want you to bring the course map. Can't really stress that enough. Bring the map.

2-4    1/11/2013   1/13/2013
Review By: tiger5
This review was updated on 1/17/2013
Pros: Once you figure out the layout of the course it becomes easy to see that Mazarick is a decently challenging. I will agree that the first time I went it took awhile for me to figure out the front nine. Hole one starts at the top of the hill before the parking lot. Although there is no real signage you do get the yardage on most of the tee pads. And the baskets are easy to make out even with out the yellow rim that most wooded courses have. There are white directional arrows on pretty much every hole. To get to hole 2 turn around and walk back up the fairway and you'll find the path on the left that winds it's way back to the second tee pad. Once you see what the "new" tee pads look like you know what to look for. After hole two take a left and you'll get to the tee pad for hole 3. I had to do a double take on this one the first time I saw what you had to throw through. It's across the bride and up the hill. Dangerous for park goers, yes, possible to lose a disc on a bad drive, yes, but all that is worth it. The risk factor on some of these holes is what most courses in the surrounding area are seriously lacking. Take a right to get to hole 4. The tee pad for 5 is pretty much straight ahead once you get to the basket. To get to hole 6 follow the trail past the little shelter/covering and hang a right. Hole 7 will be to the left of basket 6 and the tee pad for 8 is just a little ways in front of the basket for 7. Hole 8 has some water behind it, the basket is on your right and the tee pad for 9 is to your left. Hole 9 you throw over some water and the basket is around the wood line to the right. For hole 10 you have to cross the walking trail and head towards hole 1. You'll see the tee pad that I would think gets mistaken for hole 2. After hole 10 walk towards the building to your left and the tee pad for 11 is on the other side of the parking lot almost directly across from #10 basket. To get to hole 12 follow the curve of the walking trail. Follow the trail to the right of basket 12 to get to the tee pad of 13 (you'll cross the road). Hole 14 is on the right side of the walking trail, you have to keep this drive straight or you'll be wet/muddy. Take a left at basket 14 to get to 15 which is a tight uphill shot and 16 will be on your left, throw back downhill and take a right to get to 17. Once you finish 17 take a left and follow the walking trail back towards the parking lot you'll keep walking into the woods and see the tee pad on the left. 18 takes you back to the parking lot.
Cons: Obviously signage is an issue. I'm sure this is a course that is in the process of being reconstructed, you can get old tee boxes as you walk the course. I heard bad things about this course when I first got to the area, so I was very hesitant to play it, but after talking to some locals I decided to give it a shot. Aside from the lack of signage and some of the upkeep (in comparison to other courses in the area) I was pleasantly surprised at the difficulty level of this course. The risk / reward factor on some of these holes is exactly what I've been looking for, but haven't really found around the area. That being said, I do think this course needs some fixing up in terms signage, course map, more defined fairways (mainly in the more heavily wooded areas) which can be fixed by getting rid of some of the undergrowth around the fairways. I believe this course has the potential to be 3.5+, if it was more well maintained. The biggest reason the up keep of this course stands out so much, is because most of the other courses in the surround area are getting a much needed face lift after the fall and winter months.
Other Thoughts: Knowing the layout of the course is key, but it's not like it's impossible to figure out if you've never been there. There's a greater since of difficulty in terms of being accurate with your shots. I'd say it's a challenging course but has potential to be much better if they fixed some basic things. Don't let the cons deter you from playing this course. It's got some really fun, challenging and risky shots. You couldn't ask for a better start to a round than hole #1. There's a lot of elevation throughout the course which makes for a wide variety of shots. The fairways are challenging on several holes and I know I've said a number of times, but the risk factor is my favorite part.

Maz East

5+    6/9/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: Pbody66
Pros: Tight lines and a few holes you can bring it on but mostly a pick your shot type course versus a rare back for distance.
Good baskets.
The Tees are worn down around but they are in good shape.
For a beginner its got enough wear in the course to be open even though you bang on the trees.
Errant shots for most holes are playable.
great location and easily reached for everyone except those on the West side of town. (Guess we need to get a course on the west side)
Cons: Like others have said the signage and direction are clearly lacking.
I played with regulars to start otherwise i would have just happened onto some of the holes.
many holes have pedestrian walkways that you either cross or run beside making for delays as you wait (not a big deal) or someone just popping around the corner after you zing a Wraith right across their path.
(This is not something that can change just a warning to those going to play there the first time.)
Hole #3 has a pedestrian bridge you through down the length of. Two things here 1. Get across and stay center to left. 2. Don't take a long time to throw. Get it done before a jogger roles onto the bridge.
Go on an evening or weekend and someone will be gald to show you the way. You'll be glad you did.
Others have covered some of the holes but all in all its a good course.
It can be challenging for LHBH or RH flicks as the course in some areas seems to favor a RHBH setup more prominently.
Other Thoughts: Does anyone know if someone made hole direction signs if the Parks department would take them down?

Pass this one up

1    2/21/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: Dale W
Pros: That you are playing instead of working? One hole on the back 9 is somewhat senic with the large pipe running down the entire length.
Cons: Where to start. Upon parking, couldnt even find the front 9. Finally foung hole 10's pad and started playing there. No sinage directing you to the next hole except for 11 (spray paint on a board), no sinage telling you distance or layout, and trash everywhere. After figuring out the back 9, continued to search for the "new" baskets and pads that are the front 9. Eventually gave up and went elsewhere.
Other Thoughts: I have never seen a course with such a lack of care...even courses under construction and coursed being redone are more playable. I decided throwing in a field was better than playing this course for the month I was in Fayetteville.

meh....

1    1/5/2012   1/5/2012
Review By: magilla311
Pros: The tee boxes are in good condition, and the lines are nice and tight. There's a few nice long holes where you can grip it & rip it, but be wary & stay in the fairway (I'm still pulling thorns out of my back side). It's a helluva challenge for a new player.
Cons: The course is in pretty bad shape. Sure there are multiple trashcans, but very few are used. There are no course maps or scorecards on sight. We were lucky to run into someone that plays the course regularly, otherwise we would've been completely lost.

Not Bad!

2-4    12/29/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: pkbeast
Pros: Cool course, nestled in the woods. Fair ammount of long and short holes with lefty and right hand friendly shots. Come cool topographical changes along the pipeline and plenty of 450+ft holes to air a few out on. I especially liked the 468ft bomb along the path from the long tees. Great basket location and its pretty cool seeing all the 1980s era baskets chilling in their old locations like sentinels. The back nine are almost from another course it seems, they are down in lowlands around the lake. the temp drops off, the ground becomes soggy and all of a sudden if you grip one the wrong way, your in the woods and maybe the water. Challenging course for the first time I played it for sure.
Cons: Only cons here are the markers for the course ( a little hard without a map or a friend who has played it before) and the t-boxes fall off into nothin on many of the hole. Number 1 if you mis step on your follow through your gonna have a briar filled 15ft drop before you stop rolling. Nice course though! and awesome location to downtown and PIA. Watch the bridgeless parts. Balancing act required to cross a few holes. One of which on a pipeline, not bad for us younguns, but an old codger out there would meet his end.

Its worth a play! Get out there then head to Arnette... its awesome.
Other Thoughts: Nice day trip course! check it out!

Nav training in Fayettenam

5+    11/1/2011   11/17/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 12/10/2012
Pros: The course has some sweet shots and can be tough when it wants too be. I love the design if it wasn't for a few dangerous issues and weird OB I'd rate it higher.

nice chainstars

Hole 10 loops back to the parking lot.

If you know how to play the old layout or are with a guide it is still playable and is a Rec level design that would be good for beginners or a quick mid round .

Cons: This course Could easily get a higher rating with some improvements. Tee Signs are needed. most holes just have the Hole # and distance painted on the Pad with no idea where the hole is. Also better navigation signs would be nice

The Pads are raised and are not friendly to a follow through.

If you don't know where your going the old baskets and pads can confuse you. Just remember that all pads are asphalt and not natural on the new course(hole 11 now has a concrete pad) and you are shooting at the chainstars not the old innova baskets.
Navigation overall can be an issue. I completely missed a hole the first time I played the course.

Hole 9 REALLY needs a bridge you have to either hike through the woods and around the corner to the bridge on hole 3 or do a balancing act across a large Pipe.

Hole 3 you throw across a bridge with a walking path that goes around a corner which is ok when a biker is NOT coming around the corner and almost takes a teebird to the Dome. This is a dangerous throw for the walkers who use the path. The same issue can come up on hole 7 and with a shot that is overthrown on hole 9.

When it rains there are some NASTY places on this course that almost seem like you in a swamp. Hole 11 and hole 14 come to mind immediately.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a 3 because I do like the shots it has to offer and I enjoy playing it however there are small issues and design flaws that make it loss some points in my book. If tee signs were added and a bridge on 9 was installed I would look at giving this course a 3.5 but I doubt It would get more from me.

Prefer the OLD course

5+    11/11/2010   1/11/2011
Review By: PMGinNC
Pros: The old course is a good confidence booster. Many birdie opportunities! We generally play this three times when we go.
For those that get hungry you can take a short walk off of 8 to a food mart for a snack during play. Lots of up and down shots make this even better.
There has recently been some cleanup work done (THANKS) on this old course.
Cons: The tee pads need a lot of work but are useable. Many dead and falling trees to watch out for and be aware of.
Other Thoughts: www.fayncdiscgolf.info

Elevation and Woods

2-4    6/6/2010   1/10/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
Design:
*Elevation changes- one of the best features of this course. There are elevation changes on every hole with 8 Up/ 10 Down. Most changes are moderate (3-12 ft.) but 7 holes are bigger (15-30 ft. change)
* Terrain- This is mostly a woods course with a few holes slightly more open. 15 Woods/ 3 Mixed.
*Fairways- Nicely shaped with pretty good shape variety. 10 St/ 3 Left/ 5 Right
*Length variety- decent. 1 of 195/ 9 of 200-299/ 6 of 300-399/ 2>400 (415, 445)

Basics:
*Baskets- Chainstars are one of my favorites.

Amenities:
*Navigation- there are many "Next tee" signs that help.
*Restrooms- good
Cons:
Design:
-Fairway 7 has a road down it's whole length. Not only does this detract from the beauty of nature, but everything to the right of the road is OB and I think that's dumb. I don't like this hole.
-Navigation- There are long walks to tees 6, 11, 18, so these are harder to find. Five baskets aren't visible from the tee (3, 4, 7, 9, 12)
-Walking over the large drainage pipe on hole 9 might be a difficult balancing act for some people.

Basics:
-Tee signs need improvement. Very minimal, length only, most tacked to a tree.
-Tees are below average. Asphalt that might get too soft on hot summer days.

Amenities:
-The online map is outdated, so it's misleading and useless.
-No scorecard, warm up basket, or message board. No benches and few trash cans out on the course.
Course Level: Blue (most suited for Advanced players rated 950) It's between White and Blue. It's either a more difficult White or an easier Blue level. The numbers came out closer to Blue so I landed on that, but I bet that Blue level players will score pretty low here.

~Water- there's only a little in play on a couple of holes and some in view but not in play on a few more. When you can see the swamp it's rather scenic; I just wish that the water came into play more.
~One big detraction is the decaying remains of the original course. There are old rusting yellow Discatcher baskets and unmarked cinder tees scattered near the first few holes. To make it even more confusing, the old 1st basket is inside the park just off the parking lot, so I saw several new players shooting for it then getting lost and bewildered. This is unsightly and confusing and I think they should remove it all.
~The course is in the heart of Fayetteville, so it's easy to get to. I hate to say it, but the ambience of the surrounding area doesn't thrill me, so I started out on an off note. This park does offer a good opportunity to get away from civilization, and after a few holes I did feel out in nature and away from that bad vibe I had driving there.

Bottom line-- if you like woods courses with nice elevation changes, and you're in Fayetteville, it's worth stopping by to play. My Enjoyment Rating is Above Average, but I still wouldn't recommend making much of a trip to go there.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

Fast Times in Fayette-Nam

1    12/22/2010   12/22/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Simply fun. The course is predominately wooded with some tall, old pines. It's very fairly wooded, only a couple of holes are borderline "unfair" or luck based. Great use of elevation, much more rolling than I thought it would be and there's a slew of fun, downhill ace-runs and birdie fests. A couple of holes had some nice creeks to throw over and a little lake even threatens on one hole. Fairways are well-defined and easy to spot and the course flows pretty well once you figure out where to go. Nice baskets as well. The tees aren't the worse and they're pretty level which is great but they're aren't real flush with the ground.
Cons: Navigation, it really can be tricky. I'm usually a whiz for finding the next hole but this place had me scratching my head a couple of times. Hole #4 is not obvious to find (hang a right up the hill), hole #11's tee pad is non-existent as far as I can tell, and hole #18's tee is past that construction/mulch pile area and to the left once you get back into the woods again. The layout for the old course really throws you off on the front 9 but easy to avoid as long as you remember not to throw towards yellow, rusty baskets.

Hole variety: It's a little repetitive. All the holes are generally some sort of variation of an S-curve or just generally straight, with the exception of #12 that bizarrely hooks left at the very end.

Mobility: This only comes into play a couple of holes but they were bad. Hole #1 has only a steep, eroded path leading to the fairway that's fairly dangerous. The big culprit is hole #9 which throws over the creek. The problem is there's no way to cross said creek unless you're nimble enough to balance across the large metal pipe that goes over it. My broken foot and I had to bushwhack our way back to the bridge to cross over.

Quite a bit of trash and litter unfortunately.
Other Thoughts: This course is like OT Sloan's (Sanford) bigger, older sister. The holes are longer (probably average out to around 300'), it's more mature and fair with concrete tees and its wooded-ness, and it's just really fun to play. The old course and park layout also leads to some great safari golf potential if you get bored.

I will definitely play it again after my foot heals, for sure.