Brandenburg, KY
Meade Olin Park Share

24" of leaves swallowed my favorite driver

1    1/24/2012   1/27/2012
Pros: 1) Park like setting on this course reminds me of many decent courses that I have played. Wall to wall turf with mature trees throughout the entire course.

2) Concrete tees are always a plus. I didn't have any issues with their teepads although I was kind-of in a race to finish before the sun went down. Perhaps I overlooked something, but they seemed fine to me.

3) Same stump cutoffs as at Muldraugh to mark the tee locations. It helps with navigation, however many of them were broken or missing.

4) Beginner friendly course because it is mostly open, while the trees still provide some challenge for beginners.

5) Nice rolling hills throughout this entire park. The elevation change is relatively mild on each hole except for a handful, but there is elevation change on just about every holes so it definitely alters the shot making.

6) Plenty of options for shot selection on many holes. There are a few holes that dictate your shot but for the most part you can throw which way you want on most holes.

7) Nice distance variation on this course with some short, medium, and a few long ones too. I like this feature in a course design because it forces you to use many different discs.
Cons: 1) Old and ratty looking teesigns . . . many of them look like they had been flooded before.

2) Many bare spots throughout this course. This is a common thing I am finding in Kentucky, so it must be a combination of the dormant turf being thinner, the heavy clay soils, and the compaction of the park users. Generally these areas seemed to be around tees and greens and not out in the open.

3) Hole #14 was deceiving, the basket was invisible from the tee and there was no sign indicating the basket placement. It looked to me like the basket was tucked into the edge of the woods so I threw there . . . unknowingly the leaves were 24" deep and I lost my disc because of it. I sure wish I would have found the basket beforehand because that was one of my favorite drivers. This con will not take away from the rating of the course, but it shows a couple of issues I have mentioned.

4) The water on Hole #7 was a nice feature but it sure was unattractive. It was obviously a fill area for the city or the parks department, so I am not sure why they list the pond on the teesign if they plan to simply fill it in?

5) The soil here is obviously a contributor to the low areas that hold water.

6) No benches available on this course except for when you pass the parking lot between #10 and 11.

7) Baskets are tough to find especially because there are a handful or bind baskets.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent course, but it sounds and looks like this course used to be a much better course. I can imagine more of these mature Oaks scattered throughout forcing more shot shaping. The nice rolling hills, the mature trees, and the good distance variation make this course as good as it is. The things that could make this course better would be more trees and better turf in areas. The amenities could also be improved with tee signs and some benches.

Pretty park course

1    4/16/2011   4/27/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a clean grassy park with nice mature trees. There is good elevation on several of the holes adding to the challenge and fun, with a couple nice uphill shots and some fun downhill holes. A couple holes bring a small pond into play adding some risk, but it's easy to play around the water on both for an extra stroke or two.

There is a nice mix of hole lengths, from ace runs to a couple where you can open up and throw a long drive. The tees are concrete, and are in decent shape with enough room. The baskets are older, but catch fine.
Cons: The course really doesn't push you to take many different lines. Many holes offer multiple options, but almost all have a RHBH hyzer off the tee available. This may be due to the storms that opened this course up quite a bit, but it leaves it less challenging and interesting.

A few signs were missing, and that added to the navigation problems here. There are a few spots where it's not at all obvious where to go next, and that's compounded by not knowing what hole a tee belongs to. There are some safety issues here, with several holes bringing the park road into play, and a couple that throw pretty much directly over a little kids' soccer field.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little park course that's great for newer players. There are plenty of shorter holes mixed in with the longer holes, and no thick rough to frustrate beginners. More experienced players won't find their full range of shots tested, but there are some fun holes out here that make it worth a stop.

Nice, but not great.

1    7/26/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: thebeast175
Pros: I think that this is a course where you can go to settle in the basic shots of disc golf that you are going to need on just about every course. Although the holes become a RHBH repetition fest, you really have to concentrate on your basic technique the entire time or you will be shooting some tough up shots. I think that once you get used to this course it will become a great basic skills practice course for you. Beginners might get frustrated because of the distance but there has to be courses like that or I myself would never have built up my arm to where it is. Distance is not the problem, your arm is. Take your time to get used to each hole and work on your shots here. Past that, good tee pads, good baskets, i love the water holes, the rough isn't bad at all, great use of the elvation available and bring a cooler and hang out for the day.
Cons: The main thing that I dislike about this course is that there are not any am tees. I say this because my wife loves to play and she is extremely accurate but she just doesn't have the arm needed to play this course well. I know that there is an alt. par for ams but she would rather just have another tee (this might also encourage more women to play here as well). Apparently there is a lake being filled in. This makes me sad because there is a cool shot over that thing. Also, props to whoever is trying to keep the sinage up but its time for some new signs.
Other Thoughts: I think that the am tees and the signs would do it for this course. The am tees could make for a really cool alternate type course. There are several really cool tee placements left at this course and I would love to see them be used. There are several pavilions to be used for picnics and plenty of trash cans so use them. Any time my shots start lacking I will come to this course to tweak them.