Blairsville, GA
Meeks Park Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #18 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #18 Long Tee

Meeks Madness

1    2/28/2013   3/3/2013
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Meeks Park in Blairsville GA has many of the features that I love to see in a golf course.
There are many holes short enough in distance to score 2's, and there are very long and challenging holes. Mostly the long holes are very open, while the shorter ones have trees to navigate. Elevation changes will be a factor on many of the holes. All of these factors are blended well throughout the course, and in the wooded fairways left and right are both well represented. 1 and 2 are wooded, 2 substantially uphill. 3, 4, and 5 are very open and lengthy. 6 and 7 are back in the trees. My advice is throw something stable on 6, I turned my drive over and wound up at the very bottom of the hill. Not easy to recover from that. 8 starts in the woods, requiring a downhill hyzer to make the more open pin position. 9 is a beast, 733 feet but fairly open with water on the left of the fairway. 10 is back into the trees and up the hill. 11 is a nice downhill ace run if you can hit the gap between all of the trees. 12 and 13 continue through the wooded area. 14 is back over the grassy field a good distance, and 15 is a downhill anhyzer edging the woods. 16 woods, 17, and 18 woods. Very fun, and distance is manageable on 75% of the holes. It is not a pushover, but not overpowering, especially once you get past 9. I really liked the land and the layout was pretty good.

Short and long tees are marked well by white signs with distance. Not paved, but two fairly level dirt tees on each hole. Baskets were good Discatchers. Not much traffic on the course, but it was lightly snowing when we started our round. This one I would love to play over a few times because there are a few great holes.
Cons: Cold, and breezy. Some of the open, lengthy holes were sort of bland, but the elevations on the hillsides and even some water added enough to still be interesting. Improved tee box surfaces would be cool, but my rating would stay at 4. Dogs are required on a leash, so mine was kind of irritated. There is a small dog park. Trails could potentially bring pedestrians in nicer weather.
Other Thoughts: The drive between Helen and Blairsville was scenic and mountains make awesome disc golf terrain. Worth the long drive to play this course once. Wish I had regular access. Did not play well, which was frustrating but acceptable. Better conditions would have been nice but what do you expect the last day of February? Birthday luck helped me hit a nice jump putt on 8 for a birdie, first of two at on the round. Reminds me of Rankin Lake.

Great course with variety

2-4    6/28/2012   7/10/2012
Review By: hjevetts
Pros: Some long open holes in fields mixed in with mostly wooded holes. Makes for a good variety. Some holes you can just chuck your drive others require lots of thought. 1 mando. 2 tees on every hole.
Cons: Poison ivy. Just watch out for it. 1 hole where it's easy to lose a disc into insanely thick brush.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course with lots of shade. Good for all skill levels.

Great Course!

1    11/14/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: Chigger Hamby
Pros: Two tees per hole
Nice Innova Double chain baskets
GREAT mix of holes (long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, wooded, open)
Easy to navigate
NO CROWD
Bathrooms at hole 1
Beautiful views
Benches EVERYWHERE
Cons: Tee pads can be uneven
Other Thoughts: First time I played here, I LOVE IT. I travel to Blairsville for work frequently and will play this course every chance I get.

Mountain lovin'

1    12/19/2009   12/19/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 3/11/2010
Pros: A good variety with the challenge of tight woods and massive elevation changes.
A decent amount of left and right doglegs and definitely a lot of up and down.
Decent tees, not horrible, not fantastic
Adequate signage and benches at regular intervals.
Small next tee stickers tell you the general direction to go.
A couple mandos from the longs adding to the challenge a bit.
Cons: If this course was ever busy it would probably look like a cluster, several tees and baskets are very close, several fairways cross as well.
Crosses walking paths several times that seem to be frequented by senior citizens...while they certainly do not appear out of nowhere, they do take a bit to get out of range.
Some rough traversing up and down the side of the large hill which is a signature part of the back 9 when it is wet.
Other Thoughts: What a beautiful course. We played the longs and certainly got humbled. There were several holes which were just wow...like the bomb off the hill for 11 at 269' that you can practically putt off because the drop is so big...in fact I did and overshot the basket by about 100'. There are other holes that wind along the steep slope of the hill (12,13,14) that if your disc catches wind or you get a roll, you can end up all the way down the hill...it happened to me on 12 and to my wife on 13, she rolled all the way down the hill to the path and "saved" a 7.
Our drive took us up and over a mountain into an area that was more like upstate NY than GA...this took us back and made us very happy. It was a nice, relaxing break from the nerve fraying traffic of Gwinnett County.
It was well worth a 99mi trip and we will come back! On the way home we met a local at a BBQ joint that plays there all the time, it was nice to be able to chat about disc golf with a random stranger.

**3/11/10 Update**

We played the shorts last weekend in preperation for Meeks Madness 2010. Much more agreeable for mediocre/decent players. Just as fun and just as enjoyable though.

Really nice course

1    7/6/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: adam423
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: Well designed course that makes use of elevation and mixes open and wooded holes, with emphasis more on shorter, technical holes. Each hole had a long and short tee that were gravel, but were in great shape. Also there was a gravel ring around the baskets, I assume to help with erosion, but also kept the disc from rolling away. The walk between holes was quick easy to follow, and the baskets had arrows pointing toward the next tee. The park was well kept, and wasn't crowded when I was there. The pines also provided nice shade, and kept a layer of needles on the ground to kill off any undergrowth. Restrooms were located at the beginning of the course.
Cons: The back 9 had some really short holes (~200 or less). I wish they were longer because it was a let down after a solid front 9.* It took a few minutes to find the first hole(its on the left coming from the parking lot). Some of the baskets(15, 18) had two numbers on them and was a little confusing. I confused the 9 and 11 baskets(9 is to the left in the trees, 11 is in the open). The walk from 14-15 crossed 6's fairway, unless you walk behind the basket. There were a few holes we had to wait on walkers because the paths were in the fairway. Could have used some trashcans around the park. The big one for most people is probably the gravel tees, but these were in pretty good shape I thought, better than most I've seen, so it wasn't really a con for me.
Other Thoughts: I would love to have this course closer to me.

*I wrote this review having played from the short tees only.

Very Fun Course

1    6/27/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: I liked the variety of this course! There was enough open holes to keep my sanity, but plenty of wooded holes to keep me challenged and cursing at the trees. There is also a good amount of elevation play both up and down. There are some really short holes, and there are a couple really long holes. I found I did not get bored as there seemed to always be a new challenge. The course was not crowded at all. I think I saw one other group as I was finishing up. It was very well maintained and the grass was cut. I really appreciated the clean restroom facilites and for those packing a lunch there is a nice picnic pavilion near the parking lot and hole 3. There are adequate signs and I was able to find all but one basket with no trouble. There are also gravel tees which are not great, but adequate and there are two tees per hole for pros & recs like myself. Adequate benches are spread throughout the course. I loved the fact that in the woods, there was not really any undergrowth to speak of. No poison ivy on steroids, which always makes things more enjoyable, and finding discs much easier.
Cons: This course is kind of in the middle of nowhere (no offense if you live in Blairsville), at least it's a beautiful drive there. I don't really have any personal problems with this course, other than the 2 holes I remember that were barely over 100 ft. My other complaint is that the tee boxes are short. I remember tripping on the landscape timber on one hole b/c of this, but if I were bright, I would have started further back.
Other Thoughts: I probably should rate this a 3 1/2 judging by reviews prior to mine by people more educated than me, but for me personally, this is one of my favorite courses I have played. Granted, I've only played about 20 courses, but this one just had me wanting to keep playing. I can't remember playing a course with such a good fun/challenge ratio. Most really challenging courses leave me in a frustrated cursing state, but I didn't find that here. I also appreciated the mailbox on hole 1 which had scorecards. The first tee: when you are walking towards the pavilion from the parking lot, take the gravel path to the left about 200' and 1st tee is on your left throwing back towards the pavilion.