0 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Well marked, scenic area to play, nice locals, a little challenging for beginners with the water and some holes bending around trees. Baskets, tees, and tee maps, in good shape.
Cons: Water...lost 1 in the drink ! Although purely my skill at fault. Park can be a little busy with non players and cars roaming around so need to be careful with shots. Watch for duck poo around the water holes.
Other Thoughts: A nice view course that is great for a quick round.
0 of 1 people found this review helpful.
Busy, average course in Wausau
Pros: Concrete tee pads on every hole. Nice signs with hole #, par, distance, basic hole layout and next tee marker which is always a plus though its pretty intuitive here. Good mix of different shots required here. No elevation but the trees, water and wind off the river add enough challenge to make it decent. Disccatcher baskets. The water holes, and theres actually 4 where it can come into play offer good challenge, risk/reward. A lay up throw might be a better option depending on your skill level. Permanent, so you can play it all year (negating the water hazards if theres enough ice)
Cons: Very busy every time i've went (except in the winter). Not much distance and the baskets are so so. I'm not a big disccatcher fan. Road crosses between holes 2 and 3s fairways so watch out for vehicles. Just not really that exciting even with the water hazards.
Other Thoughts: With Wausau being a larger city you'd think they'd have something better. When Yellowbanks is complete it should be solid but this course is just ok. Big Eau Pleine isn't too far away and is an awesome course. I'd recommend checking that one out too if nearby to help make your day of discin' more worthwhile.
Nice little course
Pros: A little variety of holes, a nice course to play!
Cons: There's one hole that goes directly over the water and 3 other holes with water along side of it. Some shorter holes, and most of the longer holes are just a straight shot with not too much in the way.
Other Thoughts: It's a nice course to play and i enjoy playing it every time im there!
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Somewhat Average Course
Pros: Easily Accessible and a nice day with a couple friends and challenging water holes.
Cons: Water holes. Easy to put one in the drink and not super fun to fish them out. Not real difficult. Most holes are quite simple.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Watch where you're throwing
Pros: Huge tee pads and decent signs on every hole. Baskets and chains in good shape, though baskets could use some paint. 4 of the holes had a risk factor of losing a disc in the water. Pretty park next to the river
Cons: For distances this short, the baskets should be guarded or something, but they were all just wide open for easy approaches and putts (see my pics). A sign or arrow pointing from basket 5 to tee 6 would be helpful.
With distances like these, you might think it's at least a good beginner course, but beginners would lose a lot of discs here, I think.
Other Thoughts: I played at 9 am on a weekday, so I saw only a couple of dog walkers, but on a nice weekend, you'd really have to be careful not to hit anyone or you might even have to skip a hole or 2. Hole 8 has a picnic table right by the basket. It's not hard to lose a disc. My throw from tee 7 skipped badly and went in (I got it back), and there was one floating on the water by basket 8. I'm glad I played it. Every course played adds to my experience, but I won't be playing it again.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Second Best in Wausau Area
Pros: Some water hazards and ace chances. Decent tee signs. An interesting throw over the water on #6.
Cons: Holes are a little too easy. In a crowded park with a lot of other park users. At certain times of the year there can be a lot of goose poop everywhere. A longer walk from the finish to the start.
Other Thoughts: Not bad for the first disc course in Wausau, but it was just kind of put up without a lot of thought. If you're in the area check out Machmueller in Weston, you'll like it a lot better.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Good for Intro to DG
Pros: Concrete Tees, baskets in good condition, each hole has sign with map of hole.
Cons: Horrible location with any other park goers becoming a very common hazard. some of the holes are near the paved road and parking lot, meaning if your disc hits it could take a bit of damage, especially if you use plastics like the DX line from Innova.
Other Thoughts: Simple course, good for introducing others to Disc Golf, though for beginners who might have accuracy issues, or problems with their discs rolling, only holes 1 2 4 and 5 are really the only ones that are safe from the water. Also, holes 6+ you have to watch where you step and BRING A TOWEL, the geese like that area and needless to say, they go to the bathroom too, and A LOT. Ew.
1 Helpful / 0 Not
This course shouldn't have been put in
Pros: nice big tee pads, nice almost excessive signage. I had no trouble finding my way around.
Cons: Bad course design, worse location.
For the most part I feel like they did what they could with the site with a few exceptions.
1. The course doesn't end near the start so you have to walk back to the car.
2. During a nice day when there are a lot of people around someone could get seriously hurt. Course plays around parking lots, picnic shelters, baseball field, and tennis courts. I played in the evening of a colder day so it was not a huge issue.
3. The only hole that isn't a straight shot is the one that goes over the water, and the pin is probably 15 feet on the other side. so you have to over throw it to be safe.
4. The hole that throws towards the tennis courts would be a lot more fun if they moved it into the mature pines to the right, making a forehand/lefty/annhyzer shot.
5. Towards the back of the course many tees are right next to the previous pin. While this is efficient for space, and course flow it'd be terrible if other people were playing a hole or two ahead of you.
6. Hole 9 I was worried about overthrowing and hitting cars in the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in Wausau I'd prefer this to not having a course, but these are the kind of courses that make cities not want to put them in. I can only imagine how many cars and people have been hit by discs on this course.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Average 9 Holer
Pros: 1) Fairly beginner friendly except hole #6 having to throw over the water.
2) Concrete tee pads are in nice shape.
3) Course has decent signage on each hole (Although they are starting to peel a bit and show their wear).
4) Nice baskets in good shape.
5) Although still a short 9 holer some of these holes have enough distance to challenge a beginner. That is good that they aren't simple 150' holes. Hole #3 has ob on the road and a river right which is a good challenge, Hole #7 also has the basket tucked closely to the water. A weak throw that tails left can easily end up in the water.
6) Park has pavilion, baseball, boat launch, tennis courts, a pool and some areas to just lounge around which is a nice addition.
7) Course does incorporate the nice river view into the design.
Cons: 1) Design and layout of this course took advantage of as much as they could, but it also brings other people, pavilions, roads, vehicles, and other hazards into play. I nearly killed a kid trying to get his grill started on the second hole (I threw right between the pavilion posts and the disc faded back over fairly near the basket. I even had a run at birdie although it missed.
2) Not a lot of challenge except on the 3rd hole with a road and river as OB and then the throw over the water on #6, and the basket on #7 tucked close to the same water). The others are fairly wide open and accessible baskets.
3) Still a short 9 holer. They did what they could with the property, but I would probably not go visit unless I had nothing else to do.
Other Thoughts: This is an average short beginner 9 hole course. They have some challenge on the course but it seems to me that it would be frustrating challenge for beginners because of how easy it would be to lose discs in the water or end up OB on #3.
The other park users are in danger for their lives especially if some beginners come out to play.
Course is well maintained from what I can gather or rarely played.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Wausau Disc Golfers deserve better!
Pros: Nice long concrete tee boxes with signs showing distance, par, and direction. Baskets are nice and large. Park is nice though there is an abundance of goose poop by hole eight. Good breeze comes off the water adding some difficulty.
Cons: Water could possibly be a factor on 4-5 holes. Only one hole over 300ft and should be played as a par 3 course. Potential for losing dics is very high! Layout of holes is average and you have walk a little ways back to your car after finishing at nine.
Other Thoughts: Wear shorts and scandals in case your disc goes for a swim. Not the greatest option, but next closest course is about 20 minutes away. After hole 5, tee box 6 is across the parking by the chain link fence.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.