Evansville, IN
Mesker Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #7 (Taken 10/2008)

Messy Mesker

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: DG addict24
This review was updated on 12/6/2013
Pros: Long tee pads, places to sit at every hole, signs to help with navigation, and good tee signs. A lot of elevation changes that really change your shots a lot. A lot of nice technical shots, but also has enough length (from the long tees) to bring your big arm. Need backhands, forehands, and to be able to get out of trouble. Very tough course where you better bring your A game to score.
Cons: My main problem with this course is the "rough". Especially on the back nine, you could hit a tree and kick into the woods, or just hyzer/turn into the woods and then you were in trouble. The underbrush on the holes were terrible, and I probably spent as much time looking for discs as I did playing disc golf. I'm all for punishing bad shots, but that shouldn't be done on the ground, there should be trees and leaves up high to punish you, not all the stuff on the ground. That doesn't effect your shot, it just makes it harder to find your disc so it shouldn't be there. Also a few of the holes felt gimmicky, especially 8, If they had put the basket down at the bottom of the hill, say on the other side of the trees, near the bridge, it would have been one of my favorite holes of all time. But instead they stuck it 100 ft back in the woods to the right, with a random gap that still has trees in the middle of it that you have to slide through. To me it takes away all shot at the basket, even if thrown perfectly. The road (which seemed pretty busy) was also in the way on too many of the holes.
Other Thoughts: While I was playing, I could see the course had the potential to be great, and most of the holes were 4.0 holes. But a 2 or 3 of them made me wonder what the designer was expecting me to do when he made it. There were also too many struggles that didn't necessarily deal with the hole layout. Update: Much better course in the fall/winter had a much more enjoyable time then. Moving my rating up .5

Mesker Park Course

1    3/5/2012   3/10/2012
Review By: mmilam90
This review was updated on 11/12/2013
Pros: Great layout.
A number of the shots have alternate pads. Didnt use them, but they were in good positions.
The holes varied enough to keep it interesting.
Cons: Cars parked along some of the holes had me pulling my shots.
Lots of traffic in and out.

Public park, maturing nicely

1    10/22/2011   10/23/2011
Review By: ruzz2112
Pros: Set in public park, with lots of mature trees and canopy. Marked well with all concrete tee pads, very little vandelism to signs. Easy to follow and ends where it begins. Not extremely lenghtly or time consuming to find or play.
Cons: Why is it OOB to go over a road, when 2 holes later, you're asked to drive over the same road? Almost lost several discs in the unmowed, low areas.
Other Thoughts: The previously posted reviews are pretty accurate.

Great Fun Time

1    6/2/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: rbnorris32
Pros: This course is very fun to play. Mesker park is a very pretty course - rolling hills, mature trees, bridges, winding 'OB' road... Its not as woodsy as I prefer, but its definitely not open. There are well defined lanes surrounded by big trees. Lots of fun ace runs and possible birdies. And also a lot of very challenging holes. Great course!
Cons: Errant throws could possibly hit someone on another hole. There are few people driving through the park, but when they do, they drive too fast and could be easy to hit. Lots of poison ivy.
Other Thoughts: Great club that plays there! Thanks for showing me around!

Evansville's best

1    8/8/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: Matthew boals
Pros: Nice sized paved parking lot,shared with Zoo employees. Practice basket with picnic table and course map. Mach 5 baskets,my favorite. Concrete tees are correct size for hole distance. Plenty of trash cans and benches. Almost a loop design (#12 ends at parking lot). Course plays on the side of a hill with nice grass fairways. Has rolling mounds thoughtout. Holes play up & down along the side of the hill, both ways. All of this under mature trees with alot of shade. Also,it does have the low canopy shots. They are mixed in nicely, coming into play on either your tee,approach throws. Nice stairs from #9 to #10. Directional signs are at the base of the trees close to the played basket. Very nice break area on #10; picnic table,trash can.
Cons: No open "Let it Rip" holes or water holes. No Alt. Pin placements. It would be nice,atleast the holes where the baskets are close to the woods. All Am. tees should be placed in the same area of the basket (should not be throwing over the road,no matter how short the hole would be). This could be true already. But I'm writing this a few weeks after I played and I wrote in my notes this needed done. It did start feeling like I was played the same hole time and time again.
Other Thoughts: #2 ridge to ridge is only visually pleasing (Not just this course,any course that has a ridge to ridge shot). It's too open move the basket to the back side of the hill for a tougher hole. IMO. Underbrush is not bad,most have been tramped down in the correct areas from previous DGer's. I started late and by the time I was ready to go,to stay on schedule, the heat index was already 105 degrees. After looking back up the hill (#13) and the course map I decided to walk off the course. But, the only reason I did was the heat index. A "must play" if I the area.

Mesker is "Very Good"

1    4/3/2010   6/3/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: When playing Mesker Park, the first positive aspect that comes to mind is the elevation. Whether it is uphill or downhill, each hole tests this aspect of your game in some form. The holes were fairly balanced and mostly open. Baskets and Teepads were in good condition. Navigation was easy, even without a map. The woods provide a nice backdrop even though they rarely come into play.
Cons: My biggest con is the lack of variety. In my opinion many of the holes were very similar. It seems as though a hyzer that can avoid trouble from sparse trees will be the play from a majority of the tees. The course did seem to be somewhat congested. I cannot think of a single hole there in which aall other holes are out of view. I am big on the seclusion aspect. The road that winds through the course can pose problems with waiting for cars. I would expect that this is a pretty popular course since it is the best course in a pretty big town so waiting could be long.
Other Thoughts: Mesker park is "very good" course, and I feel totally justified in giving it the 3.5. It is a solid design and equipment, is well manicured, but it just doesn't have that "it" factor. There is no true signature hole. Again this is my opinion...but if you live in a disc golf haven (I am thinking Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Dallas, St. Louis, and yes I know there are many more) take away the top 3 holes at each course. Then pool all of the rest and choose a best 18...Mesker is about like that course would be. The course doesn't have a "bad" hole. It is a mixture of the slightly above average holes that you would find around the country. It is definitely worth stopping by if you are in Evansville, and is definitely worth a 25 mile detour if you're in the vicinity.

1    4/2/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Mesker is a very nice 18-hole course set on an area of land dedicated solely for disc golf. It has concrete tees, excellent tee signs, and solid baskets. Excellent use of the land makes for a good mix of hole length, up/down, left/straight/right, and various degrees of open/wooded. I enjoyed every hole and there are several fantastic memorable holes that are a lot of fun. The hole playing over the cobblestone bridge was unique as well as the basket placed in the "road island" near the entrance of the park. I also enjoyed many of the elevated tees throwing downhill, and at the same time, the uphill holes did not destroy my arms and legs!

This is a really good course for all skill levels. Not too hard for casual players, but it will challenge even advanced players as this course requires a variety of excellent shot making in order the score low. There are plenty of birdie opportunities, but you have to be accurate and able to shape your tee shots appropriately.
Cons: Many have mentioned the road which could be a con for two reasons 1) cars and 2) disc scuffing, but this was not a problem for me. There are a couple of places on the course where the holes are pretty close together, so be careful and alert for other players and incoming discs. No water or restrooms are available. Also, maybe a con for some (or possibly even a pro), but the course is right next to Mesker Zoo, and you can hear and smell the animals on certain holes!
Other Thoughts: This a solid, well-designed, and perfectly seasoned disc golf course that Evansville should be proud of. I really enjoyed playing Mesker and I know several other people of varying skill levels that enjoy playing it as well. I would recommend this course to just about anybody, and I would enjoy playing it again.

I do feel that the 4.5-5.0 ratings for this course are a little high for me when I consider the 120+ courses I have played all over the Eastern U.S. I would compare this course to other solid courses like Hobson Grove or Lovers Lane in Bowling Green, KY or Seven Oaks in Nashville, TN. This course may not blow you away or be your disc golf paradise, but you definitely won't leave disappointed.