Evansville, IN
Mesker Park Share
Uploaded By: timg   (Taken 10/2008)
Practice Basket

Evansville's best

1    8/8/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: Matthew boals
Pros: Nice sized paved parking lot,shared with Zoo employees. Practice basket with picnic table and course map. Mach 5 baskets,my favorite. Concrete tees are correct size for hole distance. Plenty of trash cans and benches. Almost a loop design (#12 ends at parking lot). Course plays on the side of a hill with nice grass fairways. Has rolling mounds thoughtout. Holes play up & down along the side of the hill, both ways. All of this under mature trees with alot of shade. Also,it does have the low canopy shots. They are mixed in nicely, coming into play on either your tee,approach throws. Nice stairs from #9 to #10. Directional signs are at the base of the trees close to the played basket. Very nice break area on #10; picnic table,trash can.
Cons: No open "Let it Rip" holes or water holes. No Alt. Pin placements. It would be nice,atleast the holes where the baskets are close to the woods. All Am. tees should be placed in the same area of the basket (should not be throwing over the road,no matter how short the hole would be). This could be true already. But I'm writing this a few weeks after I played and I wrote in my notes this needed done. It did start feeling like I was played the same hole time and time again.
Other Thoughts: #2 ridge to ridge is only visually pleasing (Not just this course,any course that has a ridge to ridge shot). It's too open move the basket to the back side of the hill for a tougher hole. IMO. Underbrush is not bad,most have been tramped down in the correct areas from previous DGer's. I started late and by the time I was ready to go,to stay on schedule, the heat index was already 105 degrees. After looking back up the hill (#13) and the course map I decided to walk off the course. But, the only reason I did was the heat index. A "must play" if I the area.

Evansville has something good

5+    7/15/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: Evansville finally has a course it can be proud of! Very hilly, and challenging shots that can make you pull almost all your discs out of your bag to have a good round. I especially like Hole #14 as it plays as an island shot. Also a couple holes around cobblestone bridges are very unique. Almost aced #9, still awaiting to break my ace cherry.
Cons: Plays over the road, so watch out for pedestrians. Some of the rough is very unforgiving, so keep an eye on the direction of your disc if an errant throw happens. No restrooms. Would love to see a disc golf shop go up around the course as Evansville still lacks horribly in the equipment purchasing category.
Other Thoughts: Moved back here to Evansville several years ago after spending my college days in a disc golf haven.. Bowling Green. At that time the only course Evansville had was USI, and that course is lackluster to say the least, especially since I cut my teeth on this game in Bowling Green. However, this course is almost perfect for the land bestowed upon it. If you are in this area, this is "the" course, so make sure you stop by!

Love this Course

1    7/16/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: jobwilson
Pros: -Elevation and lots of it! -
Wide variety of holes with lots of O.B. O.B. comes into play on 12 holes and can really wreck a solid round.
-It's also a beautiful walk.
-There are alternate tee pads on 6 holes, mando on 3 holes which is highlighted by a mandatory island shot on Hole #14.
-It can be a very challenging course for all players, but there are also many opportunities for birdies and a few aces.
Cons: -There is a road going through the course so there is the occasional car going through. This is really evident between 4-6 on weeknights.
-The undergrowth can become pretty thick in the summer.
-There could be more trash barrels and some kind of water source.
Other Thoughts: I love Mesker and because I love Mesker so much, I am not sure how objective my review is. I do honestly believe it is a 4* course. In fact, I could give it a 4.5 and feel OK about it. If you are coming through the area, it is *THE* must play course in the tri-state area. Also, there are two tournaments played at the course each year. The Evansville Open in the spring and the Pumpkin Shootout played in the fall. It is such a beautiful course when the leaves begin to fall, and I would advise anyone/everyone to play that time of year.

Mesker is "Very Good"

1    4/3/2010   6/3/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: When playing Mesker Park, the first positive aspect that comes to mind is the elevation. Whether it is uphill or downhill, each hole tests this aspect of your game in some form. The holes were fairly balanced and mostly open. Baskets and Teepads were in good condition. Navigation was easy, even without a map. The woods provide a nice backdrop even though they rarely come into play.
Cons: My biggest con is the lack of variety. In my opinion many of the holes were very similar. It seems as though a hyzer that can avoid trouble from sparse trees will be the play from a majority of the tees. The course did seem to be somewhat congested. I cannot think of a single hole there in which aall other holes are out of view. I am big on the seclusion aspect. The road that winds through the course can pose problems with waiting for cars. I would expect that this is a pretty popular course since it is the best course in a pretty big town so waiting could be long.
Other Thoughts: Mesker park is "very good" course, and I feel totally justified in giving it the 3.5. It is a solid design and equipment, is well manicured, but it just doesn't have that "it" factor. There is no true signature hole. Again this is my opinion...but if you live in a disc golf haven (I am thinking Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Dallas, St. Louis, and yes I know there are many more) take away the top 3 holes at each course. Then pool all of the rest and choose a best 18...Mesker is about like that course would be. The course doesn't have a "bad" hole. It is a mixture of the slightly above average holes that you would find around the country. It is definitely worth stopping by if you are in Evansville, and is definitely worth a 25 mile detour if you're in the vicinity.

1    4/2/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Mesker is a very nice 18-hole course set on an area of land dedicated solely for disc golf. It has concrete tees, excellent tee signs, and solid baskets. Excellent use of the land makes for a good mix of hole length, up/down, left/straight/right, and various degrees of open/wooded. I enjoyed every hole and there are several fantastic memorable holes that are a lot of fun. The hole playing over the cobblestone bridge was unique as well as the basket placed in the "road island" near the entrance of the park. I also enjoyed many of the elevated tees throwing downhill, and at the same time, the uphill holes did not destroy my arms and legs!

This is a really good course for all skill levels. Not too hard for casual players, but it will challenge even advanced players as this course requires a variety of excellent shot making in order the score low. There are plenty of birdie opportunities, but you have to be accurate and able to shape your tee shots appropriately.
Cons: Many have mentioned the road which could be a con for two reasons 1) cars and 2) disc scuffing, but this was not a problem for me. There are a couple of places on the course where the holes are pretty close together, so be careful and alert for other players and incoming discs. No water or restrooms are available. Also, maybe a con for some (or possibly even a pro), but the course is right next to Mesker Zoo, and you can hear and smell the animals on certain holes!
Other Thoughts: This a solid, well-designed, and perfectly seasoned disc golf course that Evansville should be proud of. I really enjoyed playing Mesker and I know several other people of varying skill levels that enjoy playing it as well. I would recommend this course to just about anybody, and I would enjoy playing it again.

I do feel that the 4.5-5.0 ratings for this course are a little high for me when I consider the 120+ courses I have played all over the Eastern U.S. I would compare this course to other solid courses like Hobson Grove or Lovers Lane in Bowling Green, KY or Seven Oaks in Nashville, TN. This course may not blow you away or be your disc golf paradise, but you definitely won't leave disappointed.

Amazing Course!!!!

5+    1/29/2010   1/29/2010
Review By: mkern41598
Pros: This course is amazing lots of different styles. Many different shots from the tee pad uphill, downhill, trees, out of bounds, and island shots. Not one hole on this course is a breeze everytime. That is what makes this course so sweet. There are alot of friendly people out there so if you don't know the course. Most likely someone can and will help you out. Over all this course was made perfect and is kept up very nice by the club members.
Cons: The only con that frustrates me is the cars parking or driving thru the course!! However not the fault of the builders they did a sweet job. Oh and a Bathroom and a water fountain would be nice but hey we can't have it all!!!!

Excellent Course that Doesnt Exhaust your arm

5+    12/5/2009   12/11/2009
Review By: gkeberhart
Pros: This course has a lot of mature trees and elevation. It makes for a challenging course that is very fun to play with a group of friends. Stairs from 9 to 10 which is nice and lots of benches for resting. The practice basket is in a great area and has markers for distance in thr ground. The local players are always willing to help people out. you dont feel like you are throwing the same shot off of every tee. they have an awesome island hole which offers a new perspective to the game.
Cons: walking from 6's basket to 7's tee pad you have to be careful of people teeing off on 5 as you walk in front of it. the hills can get a little tiring at times and in the fall the leaves make it a challenge (not something they can really fix...not a con against the group there)
Other Thoughts: The Ace Eagles do a lot of work and they really keep the park clean, it really is one of the cleanes i have seen. after every major storm they make it a point to have work days to removed fallen limbs. scenery is awesome there all times of the year and the sounds from the zoo always make it a little interesting, if you are in Southern Indinaa it is a place to stop and play a few rounds at.

5+    10/5/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: Mesker Park is an excellent course that will challenge you on so many levels. There are elevation changes on nearly every hole and failing to take them into consideration can cost you strokes. A lot of the greens also have elevation in play which makes your putts more challenging. Roads come into play as OB on some holes. There are mature trees to navigate which make some of the holes fairly technical. There are some tough anhyzer shots and an island green on one hole. The course design here is top notch!

Navigating the course is pretty easy and there are small wooden signs with bright red paint pointing to the next hole if you aren't sure.

This is definitely one of the courses I could play all day long and not get bored with it.
Cons: Just a few minor things. You have to throw a drive over the road on a few holes so watch for cars. Cars sometimes park on the side of the road and get in the way, but that happens everywhere.

When you're driving on hole 3, watch out for other golfers. Shots that hyzer out go right towards hole 4's teepad.

On the way from hole 6 to 7, you have to walk in front of the long pad on hole 5.
Other Thoughts: I think this is a great course for less experienced players because it will turn you into a better player, and there isn't a whole lot of underbrush to deal with. There are also short pads on some holes to make the course more beginner friendly. This course presents a good challenge for more advanced players and that will keep them coming back for more.

I highly recommend checking out this top notch course!

Simply Beautiful

5+    11/15/2008   1/19/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: It is really difficult trying to explain why a fairly short par 54 course is worthy of a 4.5 rating. I guess you simply have to go play it for yourself. Two years ago there were just two of us that made the drive from Cincinnati all the way to Evansville, IN....later in the fall we had 7 people make the trip. Each time we go we bring more and more people and everyones opinion is the same. It is a beautiful course that has been chiseled out of the landscape...it is almost the perfect course for the land that was available. This is one of the few courses I've played where the average local can play this course every day and it will work on all aspects of their game. Hole #14 was a unique island shot when I first played it...now I see more and more courses using this design for fun holes of their own. It has saved me many strokes when I show up for a tournament and I see the same shot copied 600 miles from Evansville.

Oh...the locals are some of the best...most down to earth people I've ever met. The local scene is very enthusiastic and the people there will literally give you the shirt off their backs.
Cons: It takes me about 3.5 hours to drive there....but worth it every time. I simply wished it was sitting besides Idlewild and I could play this course every third day between Idlewild and Banklick.
Other Thoughts: No one should miss either the spring or fall tournaments at Mesker Park. The fall tournament with the leaves changing showcases this great park.

Never gets old

5+    6/12/2008   12/21/2008
Review By: discgolphinmafaukner
This review was updated on 10/13/2009
Pros: Lots of mature trees and lots of OB. Hole 14 is an island shot that is a special treat. Course will give you a workout! There are many elevation changes that shoot both up and down hill. Some hills have a little of both. Some of the holes have actual benches and some have more rustic benches fashioned out of whatever is available. All serve their purpose though. Some holes have a trash can as well. Hyzers, anhyzers, and straight shots are all required to score well here.
Cons: A road winds through the course so sometimes you have to wait on traffic. Some people also like to park alongside the road...of course why would you park along a golf course anyway?
Other Thoughts: I could play this course over and over again. It's always fun to play this course and USI on a day trip (with a special lunch stop at for wings and beer of course). The noises coming from the zoo also make the course one of a kind!