Fayetteville, NC
Middle River DGC Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #1 (Taken 11/2013)

Itís a sin to bore a disc golfer

2-4    7/10/2010   2/22/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
*It's a very nice idea for a church to spend money on baskets, use their land for a disc golf course, and then open it up to the public.
*The nice green grass is well manicured.
*New double chain Discatcher baskets
Cons:
-No Elevation changes whatsoever. 12 totally and completely flat holes.
-Terrain: almost totally open with only a few trees on the whole course. 9 Grass/ 3 Mixed
-Hole lengths: not marked, but I estimate the lengths at 200-320 ft. 7 holes are >250 ft.
-I'm sorry to say, but they need to learn a little more about course design. A course should be designed for a particular skill level of player, so they need a clearer idea of who the course is mainly intended for. Being at a church that many people visit, and with such flat open land, there's a tremendous opportunity to introduce new players to the sport! It would have been better to make this a Green level, or at most a Red level course, but the holes are currently way too long for new players. In my opinion, they would have done far better to have just 9 holes with a great variety of shorter lengths from 100 ft to 250 ft. and maybe throw in one 280-300 footer.
-Tees: some are not marked, others are just a hole number on a white plastic post.
-Fairway variety: very limited, almost all are straight. 8 St/ 3 Left/ 1 Right
-Beauty: a large billboard mars holes 10 and 11.
-Safety issues: on hole 11 from the tee you throw over 10's basket. This is odd and dangerous. Of course, this also means that players on 11's tee are in the flight path of people playing to the 10th basket.
-In my opinion 12 holes is an unusual number. Why don't they just stick to 9? Out there 9 are plenty.
Course Level: White (because of the hole lengths it's most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

~If you play here please remember that it's private property and make sure to respect the church and follow their rules of no alcohol, no drugs, and no profanity (that may be the toughest one).
~As I said above, if the hole lengths were shorter it could be a pretty good course to teach beginners the game. I like church courses, so I'm sorry to say it, but for more experienced players the course is boring. To paraphrase the old Young Life saying, "It's a sin to bore a disc golfer." (And I'm sure that for some players having no alcohol, no drugs, and no profanity will make it even more boring.)

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.