Fayetteville, NC
Middle River DGC Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #2 (Taken 11/2013)

About that Billboard

1    11/22/2013   11/25/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Nice open spaces with baskets at decent distances make for a great place to learn discs and practice placement. On most of these holes, nothing will inhibit the flight of the disc towards the target.

Though the area is used for other activities, the holes are mostly kept away from those areas. I can easily someone playing a few holes instead of watching the family activity they came to the park for.
Cons: There are a bunch of problems though. There are two holes that play close to the baseball field. Not really a problem if there is no game, but if there is, there is a good chance that a disc goes over the fence and causes a problem. It's especially a problem on a course aimed at beginners as these are exactly the players who will lack the control to stay out of there.

There's also ten, in which the basket is just behind a large billboard. Its followed by eleven, where the tee is placed so that the best route to the basket is directly under the billboard.

There is also the final hole, which throws essentially through the parking lot. Fine if there are no cars. But.....this is essentially the problem. Serious players will not find the course challenging enough. Beginning players have been given too many obstacles (cars, billboards, baseball players) that should not be in the line of fire.
Other Thoughts: Since the tees are not permanent, I'm sure things could be moved around to make the course more suited for new players and with less dangerous fairways. It's a nice place and the baskets are more than decent, so a little rearranging could go a long way.

2-4    1/25/2013   1/25/2013
Review By: tiger5
Pros: I know at first glance this course doesn't have signage or concrete tee pads. But, it's not a bad course. It's completely opposite from every course within 100miles. Every other course in the area is super wooded and rarely have the opportunity to just throw as far as possible with no chance of losing a disc. Honestly, I would call this a beginner / practice course. That's not trying to take anything away from it, but I don't think it was intended to be a championship level course. Although, I do believe with a little tweaking in terms of OB markers (ex. putting a circle around the basket as if it were an island) it could have a lot of potential. Lots of courses that host tournaments use flags and other markers to make the course more challenging and difficult. That would be a very simple fix / improvement that could happen very easily.
These are the type of courses that make you better as a player, because you get to work on different types of shots, and ways of approaching the basket. It's also a very good course for beginners as well. There's lots of open space so they're not going to lose a disc in the woods. Plus it has a clean, calm and quiet atmosphere.
Cons: I gave this course a 2.5, because it's honestly better than several 18 hole courses I've played. But that being said it's still not up to the level where I would rate it much higher without some signage. I really think that the course would improve greatly with some OB markers narrowing fairways or area around the baskets, it's something that you need to be creative in order to do it the right way but I think would drastically improve the course. As well as putting a MANDO on some of the trees for holes 2&3.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's not a bad course, gives you lots of space and opportunities to work on every aspect of your game. If you want to make the course harder you can make up your own layout, playing different holes from different tee markers. These types of courses allow you to be creative in challenging yourself, try and play the entire course just throwing sidearm or make up your own OB or course configuration. I think the fact that it has lots of open space certainly allows you try new shots and gain some confidence before playing other courses that have narrow fairways and shots that require lots of accuracy. I wouldn't tell you to go out of your way to play it, but if you're in the area, it the best place I've found to get away from the woods and get back to the basics and practicing so new shots.

Wide open

1    1/20/2013   1/22/2013
Review By: clementsjd1
Pros: - close to home
- wide open course allowed me to really put some back into it and learn my discs
- lots of parking
- not crowded, I think there were 2 other groups playing
Cons: - plenty of room for 18 baskets
- big billboard blocking hole 10 takes a serios anheiser, or a shot under the billboard.
- no bathroom that I could find
- no distance markings or courss map
Other Thoughts: I want to get out and play glow on this course

Great for New Disc Golfers!

1    5/16/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: BrewCrewJake
Pros: - New double chain Discatcher baskets
- The nice green grass is well manicured
- Very quiet location
- Wide open which is great for players learning how to play.
- Great practice field to improve all skills
Cons: - A couple holes near the end are next to a secondary road. Throws could easily go into the road.
- During baseball games, the parking lot will block hole 3 and the tee to hole 4.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It was a quiet and nice field to practice. There were little to no obstacles per hole. The course allowed me to attempt bigger drives due to there being fewer hazards. It was nice to be able to try new shots without worrying about where the disc is going to land. Of the three courses in Fayetteville, this is the most clean and is definitely my new practice field. Overall this course was fun and very kid friendly!

Itís a sin to bore a disc golfer

2-4    7/10/2010   2/22/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
*It's a very nice idea for a church to spend money on baskets, use their land for a disc golf course, and then open it up to the public.
*The nice green grass is well manicured.
*New double chain Discatcher baskets
Cons:
-No Elevation changes whatsoever. 12 totally and completely flat holes.
-Terrain: almost totally open with only a few trees on the whole course. 9 Grass/ 3 Mixed
-Hole lengths: not marked, but I estimate the lengths at 200-320 ft. 7 holes are >250 ft.
-I'm sorry to say, but they need to learn a little more about course design. A course should be designed for a particular skill level of player, so they need a clearer idea of who the course is mainly intended for. Being at a church that many people visit, and with such flat open land, there's a tremendous opportunity to introduce new players to the sport! It would have been better to make this a Green level, or at most a Red level course, but the holes are currently way too long for new players. In my opinion, they would have done far better to have just 9 holes with a great variety of shorter lengths from 100 ft to 250 ft. and maybe throw in one 280-300 footer.
-Tees: some are not marked, others are just a hole number on a white plastic post.
-Fairway variety: very limited, almost all are straight. 8 St/ 3 Left/ 1 Right
-Beauty: a large billboard mars holes 10 and 11.
-Safety issues: on hole 11 from the tee you throw over 10's basket. This is odd and dangerous. Of course, this also means that players on 11's tee are in the flight path of people playing to the 10th basket.
-In my opinion 12 holes is an unusual number. Why don't they just stick to 9? Out there 9 are plenty.
Course Level: White (because of the hole lengths it's most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)

~If you play here please remember that it's private property and make sure to respect the church and follow their rules of no alcohol, no drugs, and no profanity (that may be the toughest one).
~As I said above, if the hole lengths were shorter it could be a pretty good course to teach beginners the game. I like church courses, so I'm sorry to say it, but for more experienced players the course is boring. To paraphrase the old Young Life saying, "It's a sin to bore a disc golfer." (And I'm sure that for some players having no alcohol, no drugs, and no profanity will make it even more boring.)

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

~My more detailed "Overall Rating" notes and "Hole-by-hole Ratings" are available in the Files section.

Safari

2-4    2/17/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: YonderScott
Pros: I had fun making my own tees here, but there is not much in the way of markings or challenge. If I lived or worked near I would surely practice here. And I like the fact a church has this here to introduce new potential players. If you live or work in the area it's a fun safari course. And a nice way to spend your lunch hour.
Cons: There isn't a tee to be found on this course, rather you make your own. There is no elevation or many obastacles to be found, other than holes 6 and 7. No benches or trash cans, but it is such a quick play that hardly matters.
Other Thoughts: This was a hard review to write, since this isn't what I consider a "course". This is 9 baskets scattered out over a flat field with little hazard. Don't go out of your way to play here, unless you are already in Fayetteville and want to boost your course count or warm up for the 2 other courses in town.