Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #3 (Taken 10/2009)

I see a bright future here.

1    4/13/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Great tees. Quality baskets. Amenities of a great park facility. Elevation change was nice. Good flow. Quick play if you're in Gatlinburg for vacation.
Cons: Long walk back from 9 to 1. I can see them squeezing in 9 more. If you get the funds and land, holla and I'll help design lol.

Hole 2 seemed unnecessarily long with no great lines. The basket could of been tucked back up the hill to the right and it would still play difficult but reachable. As it stands now its spray and pray. I had a good anny line going and hit one skinny tree and I was down the hill left behind 1's tee. You could also groom the fairway a little more making the shot more fun. The original opening I'd keep but maybe take out some trees further down the fairway. I see the point there: you have the length so use it. Just seemed unnecessary.

Hole 3 was really fun but the sign said OB path and left for advanced players. I am an advanced player and that seems really punishing considering how far the path curves in on that fairway. At the very least make only the path OB and even that's luck to fall on it. My shot was left of the path pin high about 70 ft. Already I'm looking at a downhill putt w the steep hill behind my shot. My point is that I shouldn't be unfairly penalized by making a good throw. If I had to take a penalty it would be waaaaaaay back where the path curves right and where my disc first crossed it. This concern also applies to hole 4 where the path and supposed left of path OB also come into play. Not as much here but a crazy bad skip left on a hyzer would already penalize you enough. Hole 7 has this same issue with regards to OB and its a waaaay more difficult shot than 3 or 4.

Hole 8 was really fun but reminded me of the unnecessary length you saw with hole 2. Those woods are not utilized properly. I would of put the basket up on the hill so that players could have some runs at it. As it plays now, it's a layup and pitch for three. You either need to remove some trees or rethink the basket location. If you get more baskets, I could see that patch of woods being two holes.

Hole 9 needs one tree taken out to make it really ace run worthy. The tee was also awkwardly aligned to the type of throw most would take. Not a complaint because I emptied my bag here lol.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my round there and if I had all day I would of played all day.

Definitely worth the trip. Don't take my cons as complaints as much as ways this course could be a solid 3.5 nine holer.

I'd also look to put in dual tees if another 9 baskets isn't in the future.

Family Trip!

2-4    4/22/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: It was close to town and clean.
Baskets were in good shape.
tees were nice and longer than normal
a great course for children or begginers.
Cons: Very short, no real opportunities to rip a drive (unless you play down the practice football field beside #9 to #6's basket)
No cell service....
Other Thoughts: Good for Family or learning. Or just a nice realxing day out to practise

a few LONG walks

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great use of Natural and Man-Made Features. There were several holes that utilized steep hillsides with thick vegetation as punishment for errant shots. Elevation was used quite effectively, with: uphill, downhill, and sidehill danger. Several holes had a walking path that created island/peninsula type fairways and greens. The combination of the steep hillsides, use of elevation, thick rough, fairway shaping via the cement walking paths and pin placements in relation to the potential for punishment made for a few really fun golf holes that required you to throw shots - or else… get a bogey or two and struggle to recover in time to finish better than even Par.
- That it's There. My girlfriend and I were going on a "non-disc golf date" (whitewater rafting, touristy shit in Gatlinburg: shopping, the micro-brewery, the moonshine distillery, etc.). And, somehow I was able to work this 9-holer into our plans. I love when everything works out. (she sat in the car because there were too many bugs).
Cons:
- Long Walks. There were a few long walks out there that were somewhat unavoidable (park layout and land availability wise) and unforgiveable (are you freaking kidding me?) at the same time. There is a near ¼ mile walk between holes 2 and 3, and an even further walk from Hole 9 back to the car/Hole 1.
- Hole 2. Hole 2 is a 300'+ severe anhyzer without any particular fairway to speak of. They call it a Par 4, but it's still a crappy hole.
Note: Holes 1 and 2 might not even be worth playing because Hole 2 is so bad. Besides, not playing them would prevent you from having to take the long walk from 2 to 3 and the extremely long walk back to the car from 9. If I lived in Gatlinburg, or if I played this course again, I would park in the street parking area between Hole 3 and 9 and opt not to play Holes 1 and 2.
- Overall. I'm glad this little course in Gatlinburg is here… it's a great thing for the local community and a great little course for tourists to check out while visiting the region. The course is as fun as a city park style 9-hole course can be, but has one really quirky hole and a few long walks. It should be pointed out that I never did find Hole 6?? I somehow found myself on Hole 7's tee-pad without having played Hole 6 and didn't really spend too much time looking for it as beer drinking, moonshine drinking (albeit the legal stuff) and rafting were the priorities for the day. If you're on a vacation here, Mills Park would be a fun little course to bag… but, probably not a good course to bag if you had no other reason to be in the area.
- Gatlinburg… was like a little miniature Las Vegas strip combined with Hollywood Blvd and a little bit of Disneyland. There were TONS of things to do: Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Dollywood, shopping on the main drag, the Smoky Mountain micro-brewery, the Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery, and more…
- Rafting. We went down the Pigeon River with NOC's (Nantahala Outdoor Center) Pigeon River crew. We went on the evening run (4-6:30pm) which saved us $20 each and gave us plenty of time to golf and visit Gatlinburg. The rapids were awesome… somewhat simple class 3, maybe-baby class 4 rapids. Lots of fun, warm-ish water, great outfitter… I wouldn't go rafting with any of the other companies!
- My Score: even (unfortunately)

Fun Little Course, Up and Down

5+    3/17/2012   4/6/2012
Review By: maynes35
Pros: This is a fun little course to play. Once you know your way around its really enjoyable to play.
- Concrete tee pads, even though a little on the short side, are better than not concrete tee pads
- Baskets are in good condition
- Big course map at the start and it always has scorecards available
#6 has a really wonderful view of the mountains as you throw a nice high hyzer down to the basket.
Cons: - Only 9 holes so not much variation over 18 holes
- Tee pads could be longer but at least they are concrete
- #9 is flat out dangerous to go down, especially when its somewhat wet
- the really nice signs they show in the media section are mostly not there anymore, which sucks because they look nice
Other Thoughts: After finishing #2 walk around the track by the road and up past the softball field to find #3. After that, navigation is really easy. If you are in Gatlinburg and looking to play some disc golf, it is a worth while course to play. I think my friends and I played 63 holes on a birthday weekend.

Mills Park DGC

1    7/10/2010   5/31/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 6/2/2011
Pros:
• Long, level concrete tee pads on every hole.
• Terrific, accurate signage on every hole.
• Very clean, well maintained, safe local neighborhood park.
• Good use of limited space available.
• Mostly open holes with lots of trees for obstacles, plus a few tighter wooded holes.
• Decent variety of shots and great use of elevation.
• Beginner/family/kid friendly.
Cons:
• Course layout is hard to follow; course is in three different sections of the park.
• Course plays adjacent to walking trails so beware other park users.
• Walking down the steep #9 fairway can be dangerous--be careful, we slipped numerous times!
• Some areas were very squishy even a few days after the latest rainfall.
• We were swarmed by gnats and mosquitoes when we played; so many that I had to shake them off of my sunglasses.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little course right in the middle of Gatlinburg. While I would not travel out of the wy just to play here, it is definitely a good place for an enjoyable round of DG while visiting the area or passing through. Most holes are carefully laid out although not too challenging. I really liked #2 (long, gently right turn through tight woods) and #9 is a sharp downhill ace run even with your putter. The designers of this course did a great job with the available real estate. That said, the layout of the course is hard to follow without the map; with the map you will have no problems at all.

Fun Course

1    10/27/2010   5/2/2011
Review By: InTheGroove
Pros: The course is close to the beautiful town of Gatlinburg. I am from Michigan and was vacationing there with my family. The course offers a good variety of play with some great scenery.
Cons: Watch #9. The hill is very steep.
Other Thoughts: Definitely glad I took the time to play a round at this course.

Same designer for Raone Co and Athens?

5+    10/16/2010   10/18/2010
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 5/3/2011
Pros: In Gatlinburg.
Real baskets (i.e. not Innova)
Cons: Navigation is a bit tricky.
Descent from tee to pin on 9. . . I don't know about you but I don't like the fear for injury risk on this hole. Is there another way down I should know about?
Other Thoughts: I really didn't intend to review this course. Just wanted to mention my take on #2 and #8:

#2 - I've managed to consistently make 3 on #2 by ignoring any semblance of OB or mando by (accidentally) driving out of the woods to between the horseshoe pits and the tree line. I haven't tried driving over the cemetery, though.

#8-- There's some railroad ties you can see straight in off the tee. try to lay up right in front of those and it's an easy up to the pin.

In Hiking Distance

1    7/20/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: jarnson
Pros: - A unique design on every hole
- The holes can be completed without the need of a driver; great for mid-beginners to pros
- Forces you to utilize skills like the Tommy and better control (average to heavy foliage)
- Bathrooms! (Bring lots of water!)
- Great concrete tees
- Very detailed signs of each hole (very helpful, and also needed for holes 2, 3, and 6.

Cons: - A bit of a walk between holes two and three
- Complicated holes, can get lost if it's your first time or unfamiliar
- Even though holes offer up a challenge to players, the heavy foliage plus weird angles of the terrain can be a let down for players
Other Thoughts: Not from around the area, but from other players it's a great course for being the only one near the city excluding the ones 30 miles away. Beautiful landscaping, a perfect park for you to bring your family and an unforgettable ending at the ninth hole, a 45 degree drop from the tee!

cramped but fun

2-4    12/23/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: A good 9er when you need to get away from the family for a few hours while you're visiting the area. There are a few holes that really make this course worth playing, holes 2,8, and 9. They have great elevation, design and pin placement. The ninth hole alone is a blast. Maybe 150' straight downhill. the walk down to the pin can get a little hairy.

The parking lot has a very large sign that maps out the course for you and there are scorecards there that also have a map on them. Make sure you grab one because you will need it.

The course has cement teepads and nice tee signs.
Cons: This course is kind of crammed into a multi use park and is right next to a high school and the layout is strange because of this. The first 2 holes are completely separated from the rest of the course. Again, make sure you pick up a course map of study the sign before you leave the parking lot because it is very easy to lose track of where the next hole is. Really, the only true con this course has, in my opinion, is the location of it. Everything else stems out from that. There is so much open land in the surrounding area that smashing in a course around the high school seems silly to me. So instead of playing in the beautiful setting of the smokies, you are playing around football fields, roads, and cemeteries. You literally play in the shadow of the high school on hole 7. The area could be so much better than what it has with this course.

The teepads, while cement, are pretty small. This one is a bit nitpicky, but I thought you know about it.

Not a ton of distance on this one. I have what some would call a "noodle arm" and I could drive the pin on 6 out of 9 of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little course if you are in the area, though going too far out of the way to play it isn't recommended. It is you basic pitch and putt, with a few memorable holes tossed in the mix.

The locals I met on the course were extremely nice and played one of the rounds with my buddy and I. He acted as a guide and told us about the course and the area in general.

1    12/25/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: After reading several reviews on here I only played this course because I was in Gatlinburg, TN over the Christmas holidays and it was the only course within reason that didn't take away time from my other activities. HOWEVER, once I got to the course I enjoyed myself. Sure, it is only 9 holes. Sure, it is packed tightly into a mixed use park. But it has a great mix of elevation that makes it an enjoyable quick play.

Hole #1 says 240 on the site and I think 255 on the tee sign. It is an open uphill shot with a little hyzer at the end with OB to the right. I throw a Buzzz about 275. Knowing that it was an uphill shot I laid into with about 90% power...I was still 15 feet short.

Hole #2 reminds me of some of the shots around here in Northern Kentucky. A hilly wooded shot that forces you to hit your lines. I threw a forehand for accuracy but I know the shot is a turn over thrown with a stable disc down the middle with that late fade right under the basket. My shot landed beside a poorly placed pic-nic table that could pose a safety issue but a strategically placed bush/tree made me miss my deuce putt and take a 3.

After I found #3 with the help of some nice ladies walking on the track I liked what I saw. Slightly uphill turnover with some OB to the left. Trees overhanging up the middle can snare your disc and cause you to hyzer out OB so I went with a forehand approach and made for an easy putt.

#4 was a great little hole. You have OB path right, left, and behind the basket. You have two nice trees making a choke point down the middle. I soft tossed a comet down the middle...still hit a few leaves on the right but not enough to slow me down. A few feet short but an easy putt.

I get to #5 and walk up the fairway to see where the basket is. 175 feet but the base of the basket is well above my head. I pull out a predator and go for a wide hyzer looking for a skip finish. I let loose and hear some talking...I accidently buzzed #6 teepad but I was parked on #5 basket...sorry guys on #6 tee...didn't see ya.

#6 is a downhill hyzer to a basket slightly out of view behind some trees. I looked for a point to throw a Drone with touch since this hole is only 195ft downhill. There was a piece of farm equipment and I aimed right for it...it hyzered just before and parked. There is some OB paved walkway behind the basket.

#7 was another uphill turnover shot with OB left starting early and OB right later on with OB behind the basket as well. Another case of if you hit something early to mid you are going to hyzer OB. I went with a forehand Predator to make sure I got to the 265 ft uphill basket and remained inbounds. I missed a 30 footer right into the cage with a BOINK!

#8 is a great hole. The tee sign shows it as being a relatively straight shot with a hyzer finish. At 270 feet...starting in as an open shot then going way downhill then back uphill and ending in the woods...I pulled out a Buzzz and threw a straight shot to the left of the center pine with a slight hyzer finish. When I get to my disc I notice the basket is still another 50 feet to my left and even further uphill. Next time I'll throw an overstable driver on a skip shot to help get it the rest of the way to the basket.

#9 was an insanely fun shot. Here you are standing on a 4x4 wooden platform staring straight down a hill to a basket that is a mere 165 ft away. It probably plays 90 feet away. This forces most players to do a shot they stink at...a putter off the tee shot with a 'firm touch'. If they baby it..it will hyzer way left. If they don't throw down hill...it will be in the road behind the basket. If their accuracy is off...it is smacking a large tree on either side of the fairway. If you come up a few feet short...you are in tiny little creek that is played as OB. I carry 6 putters and threw all six with every one of them being a deuce. I really enjoyed this teeshot.
Cons: I played on a 54F day on Christmas day a few days after a pretty large snow storm...followed by a rain storm. This course was very muddy and the steep banks were slippery as hell. This caused a few unsafe condition for most casual players. I saw more than one or two hit the ground...I tried not the laugh...but seeing they were ok...it's hard not to atleast giggle inwards. To be fair...I think the soils handled this much water better than most courses I've played would have.

Eventhough I read the warnings here and looked at the course map on the big board by #1...I still got temporarily lost going from holes #2 to #3 and from #6 to #7. A simple Next Tee sign would help. The walk back from #9 really isn't that long...I've seen worse..but it is long enough not to want to play round 2 when you get back to your car...so it doesn't flow well if you want to get in 18.

I thought the placement of #6 tee was a dangerous location when you got guys like me throwing big hyzer skips not knowing where the next tee is.

Picnic table placement on #2 is scary when you are throwing a 300ft+ wooded hole blind.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself and I don't think any of the holes were 'bad holes'. Usually I go to a place and atleast one hole is a 'stupid'. If you are in Gatlinburg and you need some alone time away from family and/or friends...drop by this park and enjoy a quick round. I'd much rather be here than holding the girls purse while she is dragging me around the outlet malls in Pigeon Forge.