Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #7 (Taken 10/2009)

fun

2-4    5/5/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: JohnnyWang
This review was updated on 7/1/2011
Pros: course is very close to town which allows quick and easy access, plenty of parking, and very well defined holes... signs are pretty nice, and the score cards at the bulletin board were great, had a very good description of how to play, allowing the inevitable tourist to give it a try as my brother did(which he enjoied as expected) a few of the holes were absolutely a blast! even for someone like myself who love long tight holes. this was defiantly a fun course and I will return
Cons: is short, not really much to complain about......exactly what youd expect out of a 9 hole in a tourist town
Other Thoughts: had a blast showing my brother the sport...great signage..... 9th hole is crazy, dont let it get the best of you, and throw straight at it. drove with my putter and it bounced off the chains dead center! I think cause of the re-dic-ulous angle you throw at it. very fun hole!!!.........only one 9 hole with in range of gatlinburg? really? I was very surprised with all the tourist in the area that there is only the one short course

Fun Course

1    10/27/2010   5/2/2011
Review By: InTheGroove
Pros: The course is close to the beautiful town of Gatlinburg. I am from Michigan and was vacationing there with my family. The course offers a good variety of play with some great scenery.
Cons: Watch #9. The hill is very steep.
Other Thoughts: Definitely glad I took the time to play a round at this course.

Same designer for Raone Co and Athens?

5+    10/16/2010   10/18/2010
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 5/3/2011
Pros: In Gatlinburg.
Real baskets (i.e. not Innova)
Cons: Navigation is a bit tricky.
Descent from tee to pin on 9. . . I don't know about you but I don't like the fear for injury risk on this hole. Is there another way down I should know about?
Other Thoughts: I really didn't intend to review this course. Just wanted to mention my take on #2 and #8:

#2 - I've managed to consistently make 3 on #2 by ignoring any semblance of OB or mando by (accidentally) driving out of the woods to between the horseshoe pits and the tree line. I haven't tried driving over the cemetery, though.

#8-- There's some railroad ties you can see straight in off the tee. try to lay up right in front of those and it's an easy up to the pin.

1    8/15/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: bigronbowski
Pros: Very nice course map with scorecard pamphlets! Variety of shots. Clean park. Near Gatlinburg.
Cons: long walks from 2-3 and 9-1.
Other Thoughts: Vacationed in Gatlinburg and finding and playing this course was one best things I did there.

Good Challange

1    6/12/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: ohiostatefan38
Pros: Nice large map of course at start. I took a pic of it with my phone and used it throughout the round to easier navigate the course. great challenging holes almost aced number 9.
Cons: Only 9 holes and too close to the tourist trap that is Gatlinburg
Other Thoughts: Will def make a point to play the course again next time im in TN

In Hiking Distance

1    7/20/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: jarnson
Pros: - A unique design on every hole
- The holes can be completed without the need of a driver; great for mid-beginners to pros
- Forces you to utilize skills like the Tommy and better control (average to heavy foliage)
- Bathrooms! (Bring lots of water!)
- Great concrete tees
- Very detailed signs of each hole (very helpful, and also needed for holes 2, 3, and 6.

Cons: - A bit of a walk between holes two and three
- Complicated holes, can get lost if it's your first time or unfamiliar
- Even though holes offer up a challenge to players, the heavy foliage plus weird angles of the terrain can be a let down for players
Other Thoughts: Not from around the area, but from other players it's a great course for being the only one near the city excluding the ones 30 miles away. Beautiful landscaping, a perfect park for you to bring your family and an unforgettable ending at the ninth hole, a 45 degree drop from the tee!

if you're in gatlinburg

1    7/7/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: vinmoe73
Pros: -short drive from gatlinburg
-on the trolley line
-fun elevation changes
-clean facilities
-nice family picnic area with large playground for kids
-horseshoe pits -- just sayin'
Cons: -very short course
-long/confusing distance from holes 2 - 3 (TAKE MAP)
-course doesn't finish remotely close to where it starts.
-although a fun hole, number 9 is a very steep drop to get to the basket.
Other Thoughts: -It's the perfect place to get away from the sensory overload that is Gatlinburg.
-I played early evening during a July heat wave. tons of pesky gnats buzzing around.
-My family and I were the only people in the park.

Picnicers Beware!

2-4    4/7/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Nice concrete tees and good tee signs. Elevation changes on each hole. Bathroom on site.
Cons:
Like most courses squeezed into the unused bits of a small park with a variety of sports fields, this course suffers from lots of potential to negatively interact with non-players. Picnic tables and/or walking paths are quite close to more than half the holes - #6 is particularly hazardous as the basket/table is blind from the tee, a downhill left-turner. Bit of a walk from basket #2 to tee #3, basket #9 to tee #1 - make sure you have a map beforehand.
Four holes are up-slope, not too steeply, four are down-slope, with #9 being practically straight down (be careful walking down the hill), and one is across an open valley to a wooded slope. Five holes require left turns, three require right turns, no turns being very sharp, and #9, as mentioned before, STRAIGHT down. Woods come into play nearly the entire length of #2 and the last half of #8, #1 is wide-open, the remainder have some trees to avoid. Your mid-ranges should get a lot of work, as several holes are short.

Ignoring the potential of conflict with non-players, I'd rate this course about 2.5, but with picnic tables/walking paths so close to over half the holes, the score has to be lowered.

Fun holes for all levels...

2-4    3/25/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Although there are only 9 holes, each has it's own character; and all are fun to play (Especially since the next closest course is some 30 miles away!). I'm a typical RHBH driver which holds fine on hole one; however immediately on #2 you find a heavily wooded shot that demands either a forehand or a Tommy unless you are just super accurate with say anhyzering a Rogue or something akin to it through the woods. (And this is during late march when the tree's have yet to bud/bloom; so I can only imagine what it's like when everything has filled out!). Holes 7-9 can really be challenging for a # of reasons; and 9 is one of those that is just fun 'because'! Another plus are the teepads/baskets are all in excellent shape, as are 8 of the 9 tee signs (The other is just sitting next to the pole on the ground :( They also have course maps available at hole #1 (And you'll most likely need it your first time through; or else you'll do some unnecessary walking!)
Cons: As mentioned at the end of the 'pros', there is quite the jaunt between holes 2 to 3 (You gotta go all the way around the football fields track portion to get to tee #3). For a RHBH whose average drive is 300+, there's no need to bring your long drivers.
Other Thoughts: Generally speaking though, this course is a great deal like my first experience with a 5 Guys Cheeseburger in that I enjoyed it so much that it was over before I knew it! My son's and I played it the first time the day we arrived in Pigeon Forge, then twice the next day; and if we would have had more time would have played another round (27 holes) as it's simply a good, if not great, play. I'm in my upper 40's; and have only been playing less than 2 years; and average around 270 on drives to give you an indicator of my personal prowess. Day 1, round 1 I was 5 over par, day 2, round 1 I was 4 over, and day 2 round 2 I played it even. For pro's, I would expect a bag full of birds; but you'll use a variety of shots to get em'; and that's always fun!!!

cramped but fun

2-4    12/23/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: A good 9er when you need to get away from the family for a few hours while you're visiting the area. There are a few holes that really make this course worth playing, holes 2,8, and 9. They have great elevation, design and pin placement. The ninth hole alone is a blast. Maybe 150' straight downhill. the walk down to the pin can get a little hairy.

The parking lot has a very large sign that maps out the course for you and there are scorecards there that also have a map on them. Make sure you grab one because you will need it.

The course has cement teepads and nice tee signs.
Cons: This course is kind of crammed into a multi use park and is right next to a high school and the layout is strange because of this. The first 2 holes are completely separated from the rest of the course. Again, make sure you pick up a course map of study the sign before you leave the parking lot because it is very easy to lose track of where the next hole is. Really, the only true con this course has, in my opinion, is the location of it. Everything else stems out from that. There is so much open land in the surrounding area that smashing in a course around the high school seems silly to me. So instead of playing in the beautiful setting of the smokies, you are playing around football fields, roads, and cemeteries. You literally play in the shadow of the high school on hole 7. The area could be so much better than what it has with this course.

The teepads, while cement, are pretty small. This one is a bit nitpicky, but I thought you know about it.

Not a ton of distance on this one. I have what some would call a "noodle arm" and I could drive the pin on 6 out of 9 of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little course if you are in the area, though going too far out of the way to play it isn't recommended. It is you basic pitch and putt, with a few memorable holes tossed in the mix.

The locals I met on the course were extremely nice and played one of the rounds with my buddy and I. He acted as a guide and told us about the course and the area in general.