Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #8 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Nice short course

1    11/4/2015   11/4/2015
Review By: Gradperk
Pros: Nice short course with a few interesting shots. I found myself throwing a lot of anhyzers. Hole nine is neat but the trek down the hill is a little touch and go. Hole eight was my favorite one. An elevated tee pad across a valley to an basket that was tucked behind some trees.
Cons: Missing sign on number two. Long walk between two and three and then again after nine

Great Short Smokey Mountains Course

1    9/23/2015   9/23/2015
Review By: Harpo1989
Pros: This is one of the nicest 9 hole courses that I've played. Great place to go if you're traveling to Pidgeon Forge and/or Gatlinburg. It is located in a well maintained community park. I felt it had a happy medium as it wasn't too difficult for a beginning player yet added a little bit of spice for a more advanced player.

Hole #2, which is to the left of the first hole (we had a bit of trouble finding it) is by far the most difficult. It did not have a well defined path to shoot for but is the only par 4 on the course and definitely attainable.

Don't go right on three as it is a steep hill and could be difficult to get to your disc. The remaining holes are a nice mix of open and wooded with a very unique finishing hole that basically plays straight down hill. A flick of the wrist is all that is needed. An absolutely fun hole to play!
Cons: Navigation is the biggest con. There are maps near the first tee and I suggest you take one as the tees for 2, especially 4, and 7 were a little tricky and took us a bit to find.

Also, there is no tee sign for hole #2.
Other Thoughts: We had a lot of fun. We had 2 first timers with us and this course did not disappoint.

1    8/10/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Excellent use of land available within a nice and tidy multiuse park.
- Each hole on its own is well thought out design.
- Very clean and mowed fairways.
- Senic. Cannot stress this enough just how pretty the views are all around the course.
- Well constructed tee pads. #9 is teeny tiny but good grief if you need a run up on that hole you fail at disc golf.
- Baskets are all in great shape and properly installed.
- Some well thought out risk/reward here. #3 is a good example of this especially if you play the OB. To the left is a tight OB line and to the right some nightmare shule.
- I think #8 is the signature hole on this course. Finding the right line to get up to the basket was really tough and I liked the challenge. #9 could arguably be the signature hole as well with its stupid short length and HUGE elevation change from tee to basket.
- The tee signs are beautiful. Some of the best I've ever seen. Unfortunately, the #2 sign is gone. I really like the clear indication of OB.
Cons: - No benches. Seriously needed here.
- Not all the distances looked correct to me. #4 says it's ~220 and I think it's closer to 280.
- #9 is a fantastic hole but that walk down the fairway is dicey at best. Either some steps need to be installed or something of that nature. If someone takes a header here that could be a nasty fall.
- #2 is a serious 'poke-n-hope' fairway with no real defined line. Also didn't care for how close this hole played to the cemetary.
- I haven't seen walks this long between holes since I played Andrews U in Berrien Springs, MI. #2 to #3 isn't terrible but goes around a football field. The real kicker is going from #9 to #1. This is the second longest walk I've ever seen between holes behind #13 to #14 at Andrews. Is there anything the course designer could have done differently? Nope. Is it still going to affect my score? Yep.
- I probably wouldn't mind the long walks so much had it been for better navigational aids. The tee signs did always indicate which way to walk to the next tee but that's not enough IMHO in a place like this. With that said, bring a map or bring a smart phone with this map loaded up or you will get lost. I don't care how well that map at tee one is memorized it just isn't going to help until you're out on the course.
- Not a real big fan of playing so close to walkways. Just isn't safe and #3 is a little too close to the football field for my comfort.
Other Thoughts: Don't let my review discourage you from playing this course. It's pretty good in it's own right. In a vacuum, I'd say that every hole here is good in it's own right but when put together in this lay out it just isn't great.

I do see the course designer here working the land as best as possible and frankly I'm not sure what could be done differently to make it better. If you're in the area and are jones'in to play some DG hit this place up it will not be a waste of your time.

Nice Short Course in Smokies

1    11/23/2014   12/1/2014
Review By: indydiscgolfer
Pros: Excellent use has been made of the hills in this park. Nice signs, baskets, and tee pads are all present. This course provides an excellent challenge for recreational players and the technical nature of the holes offers enough to keep it interesting for more advanced players. Elevation is the key to the challenge here.
Cons: The course is separated into 3 different areas of the park and kind of breaks up the flow a little. Hole 1 and 2 are on the hill by the parking lot.The longest walk is between hole 2 and 3, around a soccer field. Holes 3,4,5, and 6 play through the next section before a shorter walk to hole 7. The tee pad for hole 7 is on a sidewalk. I wasn't sure where the official pad was until I noticed the concrete finished around the edges on one section of the sidewalk. I assume this indicated the tee pad. Holes 7, 8, and 9 play in this section of the park and finish a good walk from the parking lot. While there are a couple of long walks they are not enough to detract from the enjoyment of the course.
Other Thoughts: This course was very fun to play and presented enough of a challenge to keep things interesting. Hole 2 didn't seem to fit real well with the rest of the course as far as difficulty is concerned. It is the longest hole on the course at just over 300 feet but also has the tightest line by far. It is somewhat of a poke-and-hope shot with a hard to envision RHBH turnover line through the woods and down the hill. It is listed as a par 4 on the scorecard which is probably what it should be for a recreational course. If you are in the Gatlinburg area it is well worth the short drive to play this course. During football season this course/park could be very crowded so plan accordingly.

Wilderness Resort trip

1    11/24/2014   11/29/2014
Review By: manglin
Pros: -Concrete tees
-Nice Mach baskets
-Good hole signs with distance
-Good course map on the big board
-They had stocked the scorecards with map and distances
-Good layout and use of space and elevation
-Beautiful views and scenery
Cons: -Some holes are close to others and some holes are close to building. That could be an issue if it was busy or you have a shot go awry.
-Lacking a little on length and variety of distance.
-Not many benches that I noticed.
Other Thoughts: We were on vacation and took one morning to go play. It's was well worth it.

There are restrooms and a playground for the little kiddos. Macy and Luke enjoyed that.

Great usage of land available

1    7/20/2014   7/28/2014
Review By: KNIGHT
Pros: -Good tee pads, like said in another review I don't see where they could squeeze in another 9 holes but A second set of tees on each hole would make it a lot more fun to play.
-The flow was OK, it didn't just lead you around but was fairly easy to get from one tee to the other except from the 2 basket to the 3 tee was all the way around a football field.
-Good baskets, most holes could get another pin placement and give some alternate shots
-Elevation change
Cons: -Only 9 holes with no secondary tees is an obvious one.
-Somewhat noisy and in a fairly busy park, the day I played their was several parties going on where I played a few shots I normally would not have taken to stay very clear of non players.
- Also previously said, 2 seems a little unrealistic to have a shot at birdie consistently. It has no real "lines" to play its just flick or anny and see which tree puts you where.
-Walk from 9 back to the parking lot is a pretty good trek.
Other Thoughts: -Gnats were AWFUL the day I played, swarming my parties bags and us too. Im not sure of the reason but bring your bug spray.
-Only concrete tees in the area

My course in the smokies

2-4    8/17/2013   4/23/2014
Review By: hondaguy85
Pros: This course has everything in one. I love the views offered like on hole 6! That Is why my girlfriend and I sponsored it ! Lol. Check it out when you play and have fun!
Cons: Wish it had more holes. And distance between parts of the course to another.
Other Thoughts: Love it! ABSOLUTE MUST PLAY

I see a bright future here.

1    4/13/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Great tees. Quality baskets. Amenities of a great park facility. Elevation change was nice. Good flow. Quick play if you're in Gatlinburg for vacation.
Cons: Long walk back from 9 to 1. I can see them squeezing in 9 more. If you get the funds and land, holla and I'll help design lol.

Hole 2 seemed unnecessarily long with no great lines. The basket could of been tucked back up the hill to the right and it would still play difficult but reachable. As it stands now its spray and pray. I had a good anny line going and hit one skinny tree and I was down the hill left behind 1's tee. You could also groom the fairway a little more making the shot more fun. The original opening I'd keep but maybe take out some trees further down the fairway. I see the point there: you have the length so use it. Just seemed unnecessary.

Hole 3 was really fun but the sign said OB path and left for advanced players. I am an advanced player and that seems really punishing considering how far the path curves in on that fairway. At the very least make only the path OB and even that's luck to fall on it. My shot was left of the path pin high about 70 ft. Already I'm looking at a downhill putt w the steep hill behind my shot. My point is that I shouldn't be unfairly penalized by making a good throw. If I had to take a penalty it would be waaaaaaay back where the path curves right and where my disc first crossed it. This concern also applies to hole 4 where the path and supposed left of path OB also come into play. Not as much here but a crazy bad skip left on a hyzer would already penalize you enough. Hole 7 has this same issue with regards to OB and its a waaaay more difficult shot than 3 or 4.

Hole 8 was really fun but reminded me of the unnecessary length you saw with hole 2. Those woods are not utilized properly. I would of put the basket up on the hill so that players could have some runs at it. As it plays now, it's a layup and pitch for three. You either need to remove some trees or rethink the basket location. If you get more baskets, I could see that patch of woods being two holes.

Hole 9 needs one tree taken out to make it really ace run worthy. The tee was also awkwardly aligned to the type of throw most would take. Not a complaint because I emptied my bag here lol.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my round there and if I had all day I would of played all day.

Definitely worth the trip. Don't take my cons as complaints as much as ways this course could be a solid 3.5 nine holer.

I'd also look to put in dual tees if another 9 baskets isn't in the future.

Mountains of Fun

1    12/30/2013   1/3/2014
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Nice use of terrain. Great elevation changes with quite a bit of diversity in holes. Close to 2 other 9 hole courses which is good for a day road trip if you are close by. Nice view up in the mountains.
Cons: Long walk back to parking lot after hole 9. Distance between holes 2 and 3 is pretty far. Hole 9 can be dangerous when muddy! Trust me, I slipped and fell trying to make my way down the hill. Need some sort of steps to make it safer or even a rope to hold on to would help.
Other Thoughts: Great for a 9 hole course. To have this nice of a mix in elevation changes on a 9 hole course is very impressive. Nice mix of open, wooded, uphill, and downhill holes. Best 9 hole course I have played and don't expect to see a better 9 hole!

Date: 1/3/2014 Designer Response by: HB553
The rope on hole 9 has been stolen, be sure to go down the hill well off to the side of the fairway.

Mills Park

1    6/25/2013   8/25/2013
Review By: blando3281
Pros: Closest park to Gatlinburg TN for tourists in the area.
Cons: Only a 9 hole course and a football field separates holes 1 & 2 from the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: The 9th hole is a treat for a steep down hill throw but there are no built in steps to help get down from the tee.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5