Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #5 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
I see a bright future here.

1    4/13/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Great tees. Quality baskets. Amenities of a great park facility. Elevation change was nice. Good flow. Quick play if you're in Gatlinburg for vacation.
Cons: Long walk back from 9 to 1. I can see them squeezing in 9 more. If you get the funds and land, holla and I'll help design lol.

Hole 2 seemed unnecessarily long with no great lines. The basket could of been tucked back up the hill to the right and it would still play difficult but reachable. As it stands now its spray and pray. I had a good anny line going and hit one skinny tree and I was down the hill left behind 1's tee. You could also groom the fairway a little more making the shot more fun. The original opening I'd keep but maybe take out some trees further down the fairway. I see the point there: you have the length so use it. Just seemed unnecessary.

Hole 3 was really fun but the sign said OB path and left for advanced players. I am an advanced player and that seems really punishing considering how far the path curves in on that fairway. At the very least make only the path OB and even that's luck to fall on it. My shot was left of the path pin high about 70 ft. Already I'm looking at a downhill putt w the steep hill behind my shot. My point is that I shouldn't be unfairly penalized by making a good throw. If I had to take a penalty it would be waaaaaaay back where the path curves right and where my disc first crossed it. This concern also applies to hole 4 where the path and supposed left of path OB also come into play. Not as much here but a crazy bad skip left on a hyzer would already penalize you enough. Hole 7 has this same issue with regards to OB and its a waaaay more difficult shot than 3 or 4.

Hole 8 was really fun but reminded me of the unnecessary length you saw with hole 2. Those woods are not utilized properly. I would of put the basket up on the hill so that players could have some runs at it. As it plays now, it's a layup and pitch for three. You either need to remove some trees or rethink the basket location. If you get more baskets, I could see that patch of woods being two holes.

Hole 9 needs one tree taken out to make it really ace run worthy. The tee was also awkwardly aligned to the type of throw most would take. Not a complaint because I emptied my bag here lol.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my round there and if I had all day I would of played all day.

Definitely worth the trip. Don't take my cons as complaints as much as ways this course could be a solid 3.5 nine holer.

I'd also look to put in dual tees if another 9 baskets isn't in the future.

Mountains of Fun

1    12/30/2013   1/3/2014
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Nice use of terrain. Great elevation changes with quite a bit of diversity in holes. Close to 2 other 9 hole courses which is good for a day road trip if you are close by. Nice view up in the mountains.
Cons: Long walk back to parking lot after hole 9. Distance between holes 2 and 3 is pretty far. Hole 9 can be dangerous when muddy! Trust me, I slipped and fell trying to make my way down the hill. Need some sort of steps to make it safer or even a rope to hold on to would help.
Other Thoughts: Great for a 9 hole course. To have this nice of a mix in elevation changes on a 9 hole course is very impressive. Nice mix of open, wooded, uphill, and downhill holes. Best 9 hole course I have played and don't expect to see a better 9 hole!
Date: 1/3/2014 Designer Response by: HB553
The rope on hole 9 has been stolen, be sure to go down the hill well off to the side of the fairway.

Mills Park

1    6/25/2013   8/25/2013
Review By: blando3281
Pros: Closest park to Gatlinburg TN for tourists in the area.
Cons: Only a 9 hole course and a football field separates holes 1 & 2 from the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: The 9th hole is a treat for a steep down hill throw but there are no built in steps to help get down from the tee.

On my wedding day!

2-4    7/13/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: Travisglenn1
Pros: I went and played this course on my wedding day while my wife got her hair done. The course has a good mix. I really like the hole layout of number 2 because it reminds me of Glenn Hilton. Good tee pads and quite area.
Cons: Long walk from 2 to 3. Hole 9 is unsafe to walk down.
Other Thoughts: The course was a great way to spend a quite morning. I meet a friend on the course that knew the course so that helped. I shot a 3 over. Could break even if played enough for any rec golfer.

Hills and trees

1    7/9/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: KimD
Pros: a couple wide open, mostly elevation changes and trees.
Nice little course for a quick game.
Cons: LONG walk from 2 to 3, it's across the football field.
LONG walk back to parking lot, the course doesn't circle back.
Other Thoughts: It was fun to play a game before heading into the Smoky Mountains for some hiking.

fun short hilly course

2-4    12/25/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: asp002
Pros: It's close to town, which is great for a tourists jonesin to play like myself. It has a unique design with great use of elevation. 2 8 and 9 were by far my favorite. 9 I literally said " wow " and emptied my whole bag.
Cons: It's very short. Going from basket of 2 to the t pad of 3 is annoying to navigate. Plus the fact that 9 ends so far from tpad 1 is rather frustrating. Some upkeep is needed. A tree had fallen on top of 7 tpad the week I was in Gatlinburg and wasn't removed the entire time I was there.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course if you are in Gatlinburg.

Family Trip!

2-4    4/22/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: It was close to town and clean.
Baskets were in good shape.
tees were nice and longer than normal
a great course for children or begginers.
Cons: Very short, no real opportunities to rip a drive (unless you play down the practice football field beside #9 to #6's basket)
No cell service....
Other Thoughts: Good for Family or learning. Or just a nice realxing day out to practise

2-4    7/24/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: jtblount2
Pros: Great variety of shots
Several birdie opportunities
Nice tee pads, baskets, and course map
Course map and scorecards available
Cons: Long walks
Gnats/mosquitos
No long throws
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a fun course and since it is the only course near Gatlinburg, it makes it a little more attractive. Most holes require a pretty well placed throw in order to birdie. Holes 2 and 8 have way too many trees and are almost impossible to do well on. Hole 5 is directly behind a tree and unless you get it to the other side of that tree on throw 1 or 2 you have no chance at par.

a few LONG walks

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great use of Natural and Man-Made Features. There were several holes that utilized steep hillsides with thick vegetation as punishment for errant shots. Elevation was used quite effectively, with: uphill, downhill, and sidehill danger. Several holes had a walking path that created island/peninsula type fairways and greens. The combination of the steep hillsides, use of elevation, thick rough, fairway shaping via the cement walking paths and pin placements in relation to the potential for punishment made for a few really fun golf holes that required you to throw shots - or else… get a bogey or two and struggle to recover in time to finish better than even Par.
- That it's There. My girlfriend and I were going on a "non-disc golf date" (whitewater rafting, touristy shit in Gatlinburg: shopping, the micro-brewery, the moonshine distillery, etc.). And, somehow I was able to work this 9-holer into our plans. I love when everything works out. (she sat in the car because there were too many bugs).
Cons:
- Long Walks. There were a few long walks out there that were somewhat unavoidable (park layout and land availability wise) and unforgiveable (are you freaking kidding me?) at the same time. There is a near ¼ mile walk between holes 2 and 3, and an even further walk from Hole 9 back to the car/Hole 1.
- Hole 2. Hole 2 is a 300'+ severe anhyzer without any particular fairway to speak of. They call it a Par 4, but it's still a crappy hole.
Note: Holes 1 and 2 might not even be worth playing because Hole 2 is so bad. Besides, not playing them would prevent you from having to take the long walk from 2 to 3 and the extremely long walk back to the car from 9. If I lived in Gatlinburg, or if I played this course again, I would park in the street parking area between Hole 3 and 9 and opt not to play Holes 1 and 2.
- Overall. I'm glad this little course in Gatlinburg is here… it's a great thing for the local community and a great little course for tourists to check out while visiting the region. The course is as fun as a city park style 9-hole course can be, but has one really quirky hole and a few long walks. It should be pointed out that I never did find Hole 6?? I somehow found myself on Hole 7's tee-pad without having played Hole 6 and didn't really spend too much time looking for it as beer drinking, moonshine drinking (albeit the legal stuff) and rafting were the priorities for the day. If you're on a vacation here, Mills Park would be a fun little course to bag… but, probably not a good course to bag if you had no other reason to be in the area.
- Gatlinburg… was like a little miniature Las Vegas strip combined with Hollywood Blvd and a little bit of Disneyland. There were TONS of things to do: Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Dollywood, shopping on the main drag, the Smoky Mountain micro-brewery, the Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery, and more…
- Rafting. We went down the Pigeon River with NOC's (Nantahala Outdoor Center) Pigeon River crew. We went on the evening run (4-6:30pm) which saved us $20 each and gave us plenty of time to golf and visit Gatlinburg. The rapids were awesome… somewhat simple class 3, maybe-baby class 4 rapids. Lots of fun, warm-ish water, great outfitter… I wouldn't go rafting with any of the other companies!
- My Score: even (unfortunately)

Good fun

1    5/25/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: ToneRay
Pros: - varied shot selection - good practice
- ace & birdie opp's
- ready facilities, comfortable to play
- 1st day of vacation and beat the croud. Fantastic views of the Smokies
Cons: - They make it pretty easy for you to have a good time, so who can complain
Other Thoughts: Pretty sure #6 will be my first ace - missed by 5 feet both first times. Check in with you later...

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5