Gatlinburg, TN
Mills Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #3 (Taken 10/2009)

Same designer for Raone Co and Athens?

5+    10/16/2010   10/18/2010
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 5/3/2011
Pros: In Gatlinburg.
Real baskets (i.e. not Innova)
Cons: Navigation is a bit tricky.
Descent from tee to pin on 9. . . I don't know about you but I don't like the fear for injury risk on this hole. Is there another way down I should know about?
Other Thoughts: I really didn't intend to review this course. Just wanted to mention my take on #2 and #8:

#2 - I've managed to consistently make 3 on #2 by ignoring any semblance of OB or mando by (accidentally) driving out of the woods to between the horseshoe pits and the tree line. I haven't tried driving over the cemetery, though.

#8-- There's some railroad ties you can see straight in off the tee. try to lay up right in front of those and it's an easy up to the pin.

1    8/15/2010   9/11/2010
Review By: bigronbowski
Pros: Very nice course map with scorecard pamphlets! Variety of shots. Clean park. Near Gatlinburg.
Cons: long walks from 2-3 and 9-1.
Other Thoughts: Vacationed in Gatlinburg and finding and playing this course was one best things I did there.

Good Challange

1    6/12/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: ohiostatefan38
Pros: Nice large map of course at start. I took a pic of it with my phone and used it throughout the round to easier navigate the course. great challenging holes almost aced number 9.
Cons: Only 9 holes and too close to the tourist trap that is Gatlinburg
Other Thoughts: Will def make a point to play the course again next time im in TN

In Hiking Distance

1    7/20/2010   7/20/2010
Review By: jarnson
Pros: - A unique design on every hole
- The holes can be completed without the need of a driver; great for mid-beginners to pros
- Forces you to utilize skills like the Tommy and better control (average to heavy foliage)
- Bathrooms! (Bring lots of water!)
- Great concrete tees
- Very detailed signs of each hole (very helpful, and also needed for holes 2, 3, and 6.

Cons: - A bit of a walk between holes two and three
- Complicated holes, can get lost if it's your first time or unfamiliar
- Even though holes offer up a challenge to players, the heavy foliage plus weird angles of the terrain can be a let down for players
Other Thoughts: Not from around the area, but from other players it's a great course for being the only one near the city excluding the ones 30 miles away. Beautiful landscaping, a perfect park for you to bring your family and an unforgettable ending at the ninth hole, a 45 degree drop from the tee!

if you're in gatlinburg

1    7/7/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: vinmoe73
Pros: -short drive from gatlinburg
-on the trolley line
-fun elevation changes
-clean facilities
-nice family picnic area with large playground for kids
-horseshoe pits -- just sayin'
Cons: -very short course
-long/confusing distance from holes 2 - 3 (TAKE MAP)
-course doesn't finish remotely close to where it starts.
-although a fun hole, number 9 is a very steep drop to get to the basket.
Other Thoughts: -It's the perfect place to get away from the sensory overload that is Gatlinburg.
-I played early evening during a July heat wave. tons of pesky gnats buzzing around.
-My family and I were the only people in the park.

Picnicers Beware!

2-4    4/7/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Nice concrete tees and good tee signs. Elevation changes on each hole. Bathroom on site.
Cons:
Like most courses squeezed into the unused bits of a small park with a variety of sports fields, this course suffers from lots of potential to negatively interact with non-players. Picnic tables and/or walking paths are quite close to more than half the holes - #6 is particularly hazardous as the basket/table is blind from the tee, a downhill left-turner. Bit of a walk from basket #2 to tee #3, basket #9 to tee #1 - make sure you have a map beforehand.
Four holes are up-slope, not too steeply, four are down-slope, with #9 being practically straight down (be careful walking down the hill), and one is across an open valley to a wooded slope. Five holes require left turns, three require right turns, no turns being very sharp, and #9, as mentioned before, STRAIGHT down. Woods come into play nearly the entire length of #2 and the last half of #8, #1 is wide-open, the remainder have some trees to avoid. Your mid-ranges should get a lot of work, as several holes are short.

Ignoring the potential of conflict with non-players, I'd rate this course about 2.5, but with picnic tables/walking paths so close to over half the holes, the score has to be lowered.

Fun holes for all levels...

2-4    3/25/2010   3/26/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Although there are only 9 holes, each has it's own character; and all are fun to play (Especially since the next closest course is some 30 miles away!). I'm a typical RHBH driver which holds fine on hole one; however immediately on #2 you find a heavily wooded shot that demands either a forehand or a Tommy unless you are just super accurate with say anhyzering a Rogue or something akin to it through the woods. (And this is during late march when the tree's have yet to bud/bloom; so I can only imagine what it's like when everything has filled out!). Holes 7-9 can really be challenging for a # of reasons; and 9 is one of those that is just fun 'because'! Another plus are the teepads/baskets are all in excellent shape, as are 8 of the 9 tee signs (The other is just sitting next to the pole on the ground :( They also have course maps available at hole #1 (And you'll most likely need it your first time through; or else you'll do some unnecessary walking!)
Cons: As mentioned at the end of the 'pros', there is quite the jaunt between holes 2 to 3 (You gotta go all the way around the football fields track portion to get to tee #3). For a RHBH whose average drive is 300+, there's no need to bring your long drivers.
Other Thoughts: Generally speaking though, this course is a great deal like my first experience with a 5 Guys Cheeseburger in that I enjoyed it so much that it was over before I knew it! My son's and I played it the first time the day we arrived in Pigeon Forge, then twice the next day; and if we would have had more time would have played another round (27 holes) as it's simply a good, if not great, play. I'm in my upper 40's; and have only been playing less than 2 years; and average around 270 on drives to give you an indicator of my personal prowess. Day 1, round 1 I was 5 over par, day 2, round 1 I was 4 over, and day 2 round 2 I played it even. For pro's, I would expect a bag full of birds; but you'll use a variety of shots to get em'; and that's always fun!!!

cramped but fun

2-4    12/23/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: A good 9er when you need to get away from the family for a few hours while you're visiting the area. There are a few holes that really make this course worth playing, holes 2,8, and 9. They have great elevation, design and pin placement. The ninth hole alone is a blast. Maybe 150' straight downhill. the walk down to the pin can get a little hairy.

The parking lot has a very large sign that maps out the course for you and there are scorecards there that also have a map on them. Make sure you grab one because you will need it.

The course has cement teepads and nice tee signs.
Cons: This course is kind of crammed into a multi use park and is right next to a high school and the layout is strange because of this. The first 2 holes are completely separated from the rest of the course. Again, make sure you pick up a course map of study the sign before you leave the parking lot because it is very easy to lose track of where the next hole is. Really, the only true con this course has, in my opinion, is the location of it. Everything else stems out from that. There is so much open land in the surrounding area that smashing in a course around the high school seems silly to me. So instead of playing in the beautiful setting of the smokies, you are playing around football fields, roads, and cemeteries. You literally play in the shadow of the high school on hole 7. The area could be so much better than what it has with this course.

The teepads, while cement, are pretty small. This one is a bit nitpicky, but I thought you know about it.

Not a ton of distance on this one. I have what some would call a "noodle arm" and I could drive the pin on 6 out of 9 of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun little course if you are in the area, though going too far out of the way to play it isn't recommended. It is you basic pitch and putt, with a few memorable holes tossed in the mix.

The locals I met on the course were extremely nice and played one of the rounds with my buddy and I. He acted as a guide and told us about the course and the area in general.

1    12/25/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: After reading several reviews on here I only played this course because I was in Gatlinburg, TN over the Christmas holidays and it was the only course within reason that didn't take away time from my other activities. HOWEVER, once I got to the course I enjoyed myself. Sure, it is only 9 holes. Sure, it is packed tightly into a mixed use park. But it has a great mix of elevation that makes it an enjoyable quick play.

Hole #1 says 240 on the site and I think 255 on the tee sign. It is an open uphill shot with a little hyzer at the end with OB to the right. I throw a Buzzz about 275. Knowing that it was an uphill shot I laid into with about 90% power...I was still 15 feet short.

Hole #2 reminds me of some of the shots around here in Northern Kentucky. A hilly wooded shot that forces you to hit your lines. I threw a forehand for accuracy but I know the shot is a turn over thrown with a stable disc down the middle with that late fade right under the basket. My shot landed beside a poorly placed pic-nic table that could pose a safety issue but a strategically placed bush/tree made me miss my deuce putt and take a 3.

After I found #3 with the help of some nice ladies walking on the track I liked what I saw. Slightly uphill turnover with some OB to the left. Trees overhanging up the middle can snare your disc and cause you to hyzer out OB so I went with a forehand approach and made for an easy putt.

#4 was a great little hole. You have OB path right, left, and behind the basket. You have two nice trees making a choke point down the middle. I soft tossed a comet down the middle...still hit a few leaves on the right but not enough to slow me down. A few feet short but an easy putt.

I get to #5 and walk up the fairway to see where the basket is. 175 feet but the base of the basket is well above my head. I pull out a predator and go for a wide hyzer looking for a skip finish. I let loose and hear some talking...I accidently buzzed #6 teepad but I was parked on #5 basket...sorry guys on #6 tee...didn't see ya.

#6 is a downhill hyzer to a basket slightly out of view behind some trees. I looked for a point to throw a Drone with touch since this hole is only 195ft downhill. There was a piece of farm equipment and I aimed right for it...it hyzered just before and parked. There is some OB paved walkway behind the basket.

#7 was another uphill turnover shot with OB left starting early and OB right later on with OB behind the basket as well. Another case of if you hit something early to mid you are going to hyzer OB. I went with a forehand Predator to make sure I got to the 265 ft uphill basket and remained inbounds. I missed a 30 footer right into the cage with a BOINK!

#8 is a great hole. The tee sign shows it as being a relatively straight shot with a hyzer finish. At 270 feet...starting in as an open shot then going way downhill then back uphill and ending in the woods...I pulled out a Buzzz and threw a straight shot to the left of the center pine with a slight hyzer finish. When I get to my disc I notice the basket is still another 50 feet to my left and even further uphill. Next time I'll throw an overstable driver on a skip shot to help get it the rest of the way to the basket.

#9 was an insanely fun shot. Here you are standing on a 4x4 wooden platform staring straight down a hill to a basket that is a mere 165 ft away. It probably plays 90 feet away. This forces most players to do a shot they stink at...a putter off the tee shot with a 'firm touch'. If they baby it..it will hyzer way left. If they don't throw down hill...it will be in the road behind the basket. If their accuracy is off...it is smacking a large tree on either side of the fairway. If you come up a few feet short...you are in tiny little creek that is played as OB. I carry 6 putters and threw all six with every one of them being a deuce. I really enjoyed this teeshot.
Cons: I played on a 54F day on Christmas day a few days after a pretty large snow storm...followed by a rain storm. This course was very muddy and the steep banks were slippery as hell. This caused a few unsafe condition for most casual players. I saw more than one or two hit the ground...I tried not the laugh...but seeing they were ok...it's hard not to atleast giggle inwards. To be fair...I think the soils handled this much water better than most courses I've played would have.

Eventhough I read the warnings here and looked at the course map on the big board by #1...I still got temporarily lost going from holes #2 to #3 and from #6 to #7. A simple Next Tee sign would help. The walk back from #9 really isn't that long...I've seen worse..but it is long enough not to want to play round 2 when you get back to your car...so it doesn't flow well if you want to get in 18.

I thought the placement of #6 tee was a dangerous location when you got guys like me throwing big hyzer skips not knowing where the next tee is.

Picnic table placement on #2 is scary when you are throwing a 300ft+ wooded hole blind.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself and I don't think any of the holes were 'bad holes'. Usually I go to a place and atleast one hole is a 'stupid'. If you are in Gatlinburg and you need some alone time away from family and/or friends...drop by this park and enjoy a quick round. I'd much rather be here than holding the girls purse while she is dragging me around the outlet malls in Pigeon Forge.

1    10/8/2009   10/8/2009
Review By: tamahawk
This review was updated on 12/28/2009
Pros: Mills Park is a nice little park that offers a fun 9-hole disc golf course, as well as many other recreational activities for both locals and travelers.

Course Essentials:
The course uses MachV baskets that all look brand new and are in great shape, including a practice basket near the first tee. There are concrete tee pads on holes 1-8, and a small, wooden tee pad on hole 9. The concrete pads were a little small, but given the length of the holes, they were adequate. Each hole had a nice tee sign that gave both hole distance and an accurate layout. A large sign with course map was located at the first tee with a box that contained course maps and scorecard (I highly recommend grabbing the course map to take with you during your round).

Course Design and Layout:
The course offers a fun layout and some really nice holes, despite the fact that the park itself is so small, but course design/layout was heavily impacted by the size of the park, and all the other activities and usages of the park. Hole length is a little short, averaging around 230ft, and a couple of holes have a decent hike from the basket to the next tee (2-3, and 6-7), so it interupts the flow a little. No underbrush or excess foliage to deal with, maintenance on the course is good. Lastly, hole 9 finishes a long way from the parking lot near hole 1, there wasn't room in the park to loop back to the start.

Moderate elevations are present throughout the course, and utilized effectively. There is a great mix of uphill/downhill shots, and nice variety in right to left/left to right fairways. The course offers both open holes with little to no obstacles to clear and a couple more technical shots through the woods on 2, 8, & 9. Navigation was easy with the map, but would have been pretty difficult without it due to the spacing between some of the holes.

Some Fun Holes Worth Mentioning:
Hole 2: A very challenging fairway that sweeps continuously left to right along a right to left slope through a 25ft gap the entire length of the hole. The basket sits just outside a clearing in the trees at the end of the fairway. Hole 2 is by far the hardest hole on the course.

Hole 9: A neat little 165ft hole straight down a steep incline with a 20ft wide fairway and a small creek just in front of the basket.
Cons: Be aware of other people in the park with walking tracks and picnic tables near some of the golf holes, a few areas of the course could be a potential safety hazard to others in the park. The course is pretty short, and will not provide much challenge to the more experienced players. The fairway up to 8's basket and down to 9's basket is pretty steep with little to no grass. These 2 areas in particular were pretty slick, and made for some slippery conditions, a little difficult to walk here when wet.
Other Thoughts: This is the only course near Gatlinburg, so if you are in the area, this is the one to play. Otherwise, you are going to be driving roughly 45 minutes (with traffic) to the next course. This is a nice little park that has a playground with nearby pavilion, baseball fields, track, basketball courts, tennis courts, skatepark. A fun little course located just outside downtown Gatlinburg, check it out.