Franklin, WI
Milwaukee County Sports Complex Share

1 2 Next >
 Nice 9-hole course that's always empty!

5+    11/8/2009   2/16/2010
Review By: esjaygee
Pros: - Nice use of the available land. The mix of holes is very good for a nine hole course. Uphill, downhill, left to right and right to left. Hole two has nice risk reward with the left edge on the pond and I love eight's uphill blind shot and nine's big downhill for a finishing hole.
- There's hardly ever anybody here so you can play at your own pace and take lots of extra shots.
- Ample parking day or night, just make sure to park in the lot and not along side of the DG course or you'll get a ticket.
- A couple of big fields behind hole two and three if you want to practice. I've never seen them in use, they must be soccer or practice fields.
- Great signage and an easy to follow course.
- Holes are nicely wood chipped.
Cons: - Only nine holes, not terribly long and only open late spring to late fall.
- Like many courses in the area, it can be buggy in summer, especially on hole one which plays along side a forest.
- Natural tees with gravel aren't bad, but they aren't cement.
- The thick grass, shule and brush can be quite annoying at times. I've spent 20 minutes looking for a disc and I had a pretty good idea where I thought it was and it wasn't too far from where I thought as well. I chucked my yellow wraith into a huge patch of yellow weeds on number five near dusk and I was lucky to find my disc.
Other Thoughts: While it's only nine holes, I usually play it twice when I go. The fact that it's usually empty is a great plus for me. I can warm up on hole one and then play a few rounds. Hole nine ends near the tee for hole two so it's only a short walk back to start the next round. I enjoyed playing this course after work a lot in fall when the brush wasn't nearly as high.

Hole one pretty much a straight forward hole with trees lining the left side and back of the hole with a ditch in the middle and a path on the right side. Hole two has a large pond on the left and a patch of trees in line with the basket on a big hill. I usually throw along the right side as there is a fairway there that you can't see when teeing off. Hole three plays up moderately uphill and to the right, a nice birdie op if you can park it on the hill. Hole four plays a bit more uphill with a large steep tree lined hill in front of the basket and plenty of shule off to the left. Probably the toughest hole on the course. Five is straight ahead with large shule on the left and more on the right. The hole sits slightly up hill. Hole six gives you another easier birdie op, but it's shrouded by trees on both sides and behind with the ever apparent shule if you miss left or right. Hole seven presents a blind tee shot on a left to right dogleg that's protected by trees. There's a big crater ditch in front of the hole on the right which my wife lands in every single time we play. Hole eight is up a hill and off to the left, my natural hyzer throw. In summer, there's so much thicket around, you might want to send a spotter ahead as it's a blind tee shot with a steep up hill that goes back down a bit to the green. Hole nine is my favorite hole on the course as it's a big downhill hole. Don't miss too far left or you might never see your disc again. Miss a little left and you'll be shooting a blind shot over a big mound.

5+    10/25/2009   10/25/2009
Review By: edward felcohands
Pros: Makes excellent use of an otherwise useless mound of fill. Good variety of shots. Some good lessons in elevation, and the lack of trees means wind is always a factor except in perfectly calm days. Several real risk vs. reward holes. Hole 2 you can take the safe RHBH hyzer route away from the water for an easy par, or you can snake an anny or straight shot through the gap in the trees along the waters edge for a run at the pin. Hole 4, if you shoot too far left you are down in a steep valley with tall grass, if you shoot too far right you hit the side of the steep hill and must climb along the side like a mountain goat. Either way, don't overshoot the hole because the basket is on the edge of a steep hill and you wont be able to see where your disc goes. Hole 7 is a sweet blind dogleg right, bordered on both sides by disc eating rough, especially on the left. I have found at least a dozen discs on this hole. Hole 9 is a wide open downhill shot, but of your disc gets caught up in the wind it just may sail straight back into the pond directly behind the hole.
Cons: Not many trees, tee areas are washed out beaten down gravel divots in the ground, some better than others. People with control issues will spend a lot of time searching for discs. Can be punishing on very windy days. Lots recreational traffic on the paved trail through the course, inconsiderate dog walkers who cant control their animals, and if there is a soccer game going on the crowd blasts off air horns constantly.
Other Thoughts: This course is lovely during late fall and early spring, when the rough is low. Great for learning to handle the wind and has some good elevation lessons. This course is much better than it looks on paper, and is seldom crowded. A much better challenge than nearby Abendschein.

5+    5/20/2007   8/25/2009
Review By: DarthErikUWRF
Cons: Tall grass on every hole which makes shots very difficult to track. The fairways/ holes themselves are not cared for in any way. Most of the time it is lucky that you can find the fairway more than once in a year.
Other Thoughts: I will never go back to this course.

tall grass and really short holes

5+    8/18/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: bschommer
Pros: um...lets see...there aren't many...

decent elevation change
Cons: tall grass on every hole, blind shots on 2 holes into tall thick grass

hole 2 has a pond right next to it, as a course for beginners this is a terrible spot for a pond because it is only 10 feet off the straight path to the hole and down hill towards it.
Other Thoughts: i will never go back to this course even tho i live 8 miles away

lookouts are very necessary

C- = a little below average for a 9 holer

1    3/17/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Nice 9 Hole course! Great use of terrain

5+    7/27/2011   3/15/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Excellent use of the property. Water in play on #2 only. Awesome rolling terrain on a handful of holes. Rustic links style disc golf, it is not an open park setting, but there arent many large trees in play either except if you have errant shots.

2) Lots of elevation change for such a small property. Must have been soil that was dumped but never used because it is definitely artificial mounding.

3) Variety of shots is fairly decent. There are a few up hill, a few on sidehills, one big downhill (#9) and a few that are right out there in front of you. Gunning for Birdie is possible for even a beginning player on these few holes.

4) #7 is an awesome anhyzer hole 240' with the basket not visible from the tee, but you better keep it on the fairway!!!!

5) Awesome tee signage. it is very clear where your next hole is especially because of the mowed paths between each hole. The tall grass areas will probably be very punishing in season.

6) For the most part this would be beginner friendly, except for #2. I could imagine a lot of discs ending up in the water on that hole, but all the rest errant shots aren't punished too severely.

7) Nicely woodchipped greens. There aren;'t any mud spots around greens, only around tees and on some of the thin turfed fairways.
Cons: 1) #2 could use some thinning of the small underbrush. It isn't clear where you are headed because there really is no fairway visible. Just a 300' throw right over a washout basin with water left. You can throw way right but without having played the course it isn't clear that there is a mowed area to the right of the trees.

2) Wow . . . whoever on earth decided to put pea gravel down for the tees should have their head examined . . . that gravel does not firm up so you are throwing from loose gravel which is so inconsistent.

3) Mud can be found in some spots on this course but they have used woodchips from time to time to help clean up the course. They could use more in some areas in my opinion.

Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the design of the course, and it looks like it is well maintained. I played coming out of the winter so I havent seen it in season, but I will defeintely be coming back when I am in the area. I am kindof a nut about playing new courses so I didnt mind the drive plus it was on my 4 course SUNDAY and it was only a few miles from another course I was playing. I wouldnt say it is a destinaton course, but if you are playing Abendschein you can get there in less than 10-12 minutes for another 9!

Disc Golf in a shot glass

2-4    11/16/2008   11/16/2008
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 9/30/2009
Pros: -perfect signage
-wood chip greens
-manicured fairways
-elevation changes
-technical holes
Cons: -the obvious, only nine holes
-on the short side
-non-cement tees BUT groomed gravel ones.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those nine hole courses set up in a sports complex park as part of an overall outdoors activity center...BUT it was VERY well set up and designed. Hole #4 sitting on an elevated hill with a risk/reward like no other I have seen in the Milwaukee area.

Only nine holes, 300 feet and less for most. First tee is a straight away 290+, then all of a sudden you have an over a pond, or hyzer shot for tee 2. wow, what a surprise! This place has tiny hills and whoever designed this mini course used the terrain PERFECTLY. I wish this course was 18, but it isn't, and that's ok. I had so much fun on it today. Perfect signage that rivals any 5 star rated course, manicured fairways and tees, new baskets. The tees are a loose gravel type, but it is packed gravel which makes it feel like you are on rough sandpaper without worrying about slipping. Just a sweet little nine worth making a detour for on your way to another course in the area.

If this thing was 18,longer, and designed as is, it would be pushing a 4 easily. A sweet little gem.

Surprisingly tricky

6/22/2008   6/23/2008
Review By: UltimateGeek
Pros: Unique up-hill/down-hill & blind shots. Nice views of the surrounding area on the hills.
Cons: Lots of foliage in which to loose your disc. Scary 2nd hole in which to loose your disc in a pond.
Other Thoughts: I was skeptical of a 9-hole course with dirt tees, but it was surprisingly fun.

Limited Space

8/18/2007   4/15/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: elevation changes, doglegs, trees, water, and not too difficult to find discs in the rough. Not bad course design for the limited space obviously available. A nice little 9 hole course.
Cons: dirt tees, and not much variety in hole length.
Other Thoughts: played this one on a whim while we were driving past Milwaukee during rush hour. A nice way to work off some 'road rage', and conveniently close to the freeway.

1 2 Next >