Peru, IN
Mississinewa State Park Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #F (Taken 9/2012)
-- / --   3 / 220ft.   3 / 220ft. Par / Distance:
Hole F Tee

1 2 Next >
 Thorn Star

5+    6/1/2010   6/2/2010
Review By: discpicable
Pros: Tight fairways; Beautiful scenery; Awesome layout
Cons: The baskets are in pretty bad shape, the distances on some of the signs are suspect; thorns everywhere!
Other Thoughts: This course makes you think before you throw. And I usually think wrong. And then I spend a ton of time crawling through thorn bushes trying to retrieve errant shots. The baskets are all bent to hell and you're probably going to get eaten alive by bugs. But it doesn't matter because this course rocks so hard that I can't stop coming back for more. It's a gorgeous and peaceful setting and when you play a hole well you feel like a disc god. At least I do. There's also plenty of chances to see wildlife (my cousin spotted a fawn nestled down under the thorns 2ft of the path between 12 & 13). So, grab $5 and do your best to find this course. You won't regret it.

Very nice!

1    3/27/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: Jermy
Pros: Lots of variety, tight wooded shots and long open bombers. T-pads were in good shape, concrete. 24 holes total.
Cons: Layout could have been better, Once you start you don't get back to your car till 18. A couple of the holes were kind of confusing to find. And some parts were VERY muddy. Some of the baskets were in bad shape.
6$ a car (Was free because its out of camping season though)
Other Thoughts: This course has alot of potential, a TON of space and some really cool shots. (heres lookin at you 250'ft shot across the pond!) I feel like the course had ALOT of left to right holes, especially in the beginning. But they did have an alternate layout too.
The scenery was amazing, I can't wait to get out to this park when everything is bright green! Truely a beautiful park!

First course I played

5+    11/22/2009   2/24/2010
Review By: chuckdisc
This review was updated on 2/25/2010
Pros: - A very nice course with 24 holes A-F are by hole 9
- Easy to find each tee pad flows nice
- Some long holes up to 483ft. Short holes 205ft.
- Two down hill shots on hole 7 & 14
- Hole 3 curves hard to the left, holes 2 and 8 curve hard to the right.
- Signs with concrete tee pads at every hole
- Hole 10 basket is on other side of shrubs 10 to 15 ft high throw over it
- Trees are perfect nice wooded course but with a good look at basket
- on back hole there is one hole with pond you have to throw over it
- A bench and trash can at amost ever hole
Cons: - Baskets are bent & crooked on holes 8 & 12
- Course can get muddy when wet. Hole 4 is very BAD when wet.
- Vandalism to some signs
- By camping grounds so people walking around on course who aren't playing.
Other Thoughts: It costs $6.00 a car to enter the park.I have seen deer on back holes more than once.Some times store before you go in park is open and has discs for sale and snacks. I saw my first ACE there on hole 5.

My old home course

1    11/19/2009   11/19/2009
Review By: sportsheros90
Pros: Great variety of shots, maybe the guys that can whip it 500+ might be frustrated, but for the rest of us it really is a chance to empty out the bag and all your shots. Wooded holes are precisely laid out for good sight lines requiring technically accurate shots to score yet still reasonable player friendly for the am's. The hole you tee off and throw over a little marshy area to a protected green area is my favorite. In a beautiful park with lots of features. Being able to shower after the round and before work was a real plus.
Cons: park folks randomly walking the course, mosquitos after times of heavy rain, signage could be a little better.
Other Thoughts: I lived in Indiana from 1999-2006 and this was my home course and still my top 3 fav's. I miss it dearly.

Great course

1    8/24/2009   9/1/2009
Review By: DOGvsRAPTOR
Pros: tons of variety, great course to use most of your bag on, tech holes that test your midrange game, long holes to air out on, lots of trees, rolling hills, water, ect
Cons: couple of baskets were messed up, but thats really about it.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Peru area and have some time go play this course, you won't be disappointed. I will be playing this course as often as I can, just really had a great time playing this. I would consider myself to be an average player (been throwing about a year and a half) and I went +1 with a couple of birdies that jump out of the chains for pars.

Didn't have time to play the extra 6 holes, but I have a bunch of friends that say these holes are great as well.

Go play.

Tree Tight Goodness

2-4    6/14/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: LStephens
Pros: I'm a lover of trees and tight courses. Most of the course is tree lined and offers what I call open holes with strategic placement of large trees. The 'Letter Holes' of A-F are very tight and I enjoyed these deuce or bogey holes very much.

The grass here was manicured and looked freshly planted. The dark soil is very bad for flooding issues but is highly advantageous when growing ball golf grade grass. This opened up the possibility of both backhand and forehand rollers.

The course offered a wide range of shots from short to long, open to tightly wooded, righty, lefty and neutral. A great variety.

You always have to love a shot over water. I high recommend this park to anyone that loves trees.
Cons: Two of the baskets were totally useless with damage. In the tournament I played, they brought two temp baskets to replace them with. If you aren't in a tournament...this is a very bad thing since such a pristine course should have workable baskets.

I would rate this course higher if they would simply fix the two broken baskets. However, the older spiderweb baskets all need to be replaced with modern baskets...whether they are updated spiderwebs or of another manufacture.

It does cost money to enter the park...so in essence you can think of it as pay to play.

I would say that 80% of all the tee signs have the wrong distances...some off by as much as 100 feet.

The shule can be very 'thorny' once you get off the fairway...fortunately...most holes..the fairway is quite wide.
Other Thoughts: This is an incredible park that offers more than just disc golf. If you plan on camping..this is a perfect place. The park is well maintained and it offers just about anything you would expect from a large park such as fishing, camping and what not.

I will visit again next year during the 26th annual Circus City Pro Open.

Missing Mississinewa

5+    1/9/2009   1/10/2009
Review By: discflinger
Pros: Designed by Peru local Bill Johnston, this course could be heaven in Indiana's disc golf Mecca. It features dog-leg lefts, dog-leg rights, tight fairways and a couple open holes well over 400'. Most of the holes feature a length of around 300'+, however. Be sure to play holes A-F after hole 9 where holes get shorter, but much tighter; one shoots over a beautiful pond. Upkeep on the course is phenominal and there are trash cans, well marked signs and benches on every cement tee (they're all cement; even the alts.). Hole one opens to a beautiful scene of the swamp with woodpeckers and swallows swooping every which way. There are bathrooms and a practice basket in the parking lot. This course demands length and shaping enough to challenge any level player.
Cons: There is a $5 car fee during the busy times of year. Pack your car with as many dgers as you can, clown style! There are two baskets that are a little gnarled by fallen trees, but nothing to spit out a well placed putt. Not for the faint of heart.
Other Thoughts: This is a perfect place for camping. The campground is very close to the course and one can easily walk from their tent or trailer for a glow round; highly recomended, but get to know the course in sunlit hours.

Thread the Needle

5+    11/7/2008   11/7/2008
Review By: zud00
This review was updated on 6/14/2011
Pros: There was a practice basket at the parking lot of the course. The course was easy to find in the state park. There are 24 holes with a variety of shots. There are benches at nearly every tee station. Tee signs at every tee. Nicely paved cement tee pads.
Cons: The baskets are old and rusty and some of them are badly bent. Most of the holes have narrow fairways and make it very possible to lose a disc in the thick brush.
Other Thoughts: I'm not exactly sure what I expeced from this course before I played it...from reading other reviews I guess I expected to enjoy it enough that I would want to come back and play again on several occasions.

Stepping up to the first tee I was very excited to see the hole layout and threw a beautiful shot; I even dueced it. After continuing play, it seemed that all the holes were heavily wooded with tight fairways. It was fun for awhile, but also frustrating. Trying to thread a needle on hole after hole got somewhat annoying. There were a few holes that were a bit longer with more open fairways, but I always seemed to find a tree limb bring my disc to a stop.

The extra 6 holes were after hole 9 in an area seperated by thick brush. These 6 holes were very difficult in the fact that they were even narrower. They were shorter holes, but if you dont throw the fairway, you are going to spend some time looking for your disc in the thick brush. One of the extra holes was unique in that you tee-ed off over a very small pond.

The course was very well maintained. With it being fall, the fairways and woods were heavily covered with leaves, but you could tell they still mowed the grass-all of the leaves in the fairways were mulched. The grass was very short and I didn't see too much trash on the course. The baskets could be updated; they were however up-kept. You could easily tell that they have been worked on with some having newer chains or zip ties to hold the chains on.

The course was nice, but very heavily wooded and could get frustrating very quickly if your aim isn't on. I will play this course again, but I would rather go to Peiradise which is close.

Edit: After having played many more courses and having more experience since I wrote this review, I would like to add that I love this course. The old baskets and tee signs were some of the first things I saw when I first played this course, but now I see beyond that and how great this course is. This course offers great variety and is well laid out, It is definitely one of the best courses in the area.

Miami (Mississinewa) State Recreation Area

2-4    7/28/2008   7/29/2008
Review By: grynreeper
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: This course has something to offer for everyone from the beginner (me) to the pro (not me). There is ample parking with very easy and close access to the first tee. The course loops around (first 18 - couldn't find the other 6 that are mentioned) very well right back to the parking lot. There is good distance on most of the holes with varying widths of fairways. I found that I needed to use a lot of different shots to get to some of the baskets, making it quite challenging at times. When I have played the course it has always been incredibly well groomed. There are very few people on the course most of the time, which makes the games as fast or slow as you want them to be. There are benches and a trash can at almost every tee. There is also a water fountain about half way through the course.
Cons: There are a few things that I think could be improved on the course. Better flow and/or marking of the course would be the first. Some holes are very obviously lead to by common sense or markers, but some need to be searched for if you haven't played the course before. Next would be the condition of the hole description signs by the tees. Some have faded pretty badly, and others have had graffiti painted on them. Lastly would be the condition of the baskets and the hole number markings on the baskets. Time and weather have defiantly taken their toll on some of the more exposed baskets making them close to needing to be replaced. The hole number signs on a lot of the baskets have been broken or have fallen off over time. The numbers are just drawn with marker on the pole on a lot of the baskets.
Other Thoughts: On a clear sunny day you just can't beat this courses natural beauty from the great skyscape to the trails along the water. Overall, this is an incredible course that just needs a little cosmetic TLC to make the aesthetics of it match its draw for playability. Many people in this area play Honey Bear Hollow and say it is their favorite course, but I think they might change their minds if they would just take the time to drive a bit further out of the way and play this hidden gemů

Mississinewa State Park

5/25/2008   6/2/2008
Review By: ZipperBlueZ
Pros: Huge course with 24 full holes. High difficulty, especially on the 6 extra holes. Vast, rolling terrain with lots of trees, exceptional course layout and use of land. Very well maintained, this course is a thing of beauty.
Cons: 5 Dollar entrance fee (per car) to Mississinewa state park, and about an hour drive from Indianapolis (but well worth it). That's it. The course itsself is pretty much perfect.
Other Thoughts: Like I said, load up your friends and make the drive to this park. You won't regret it. It's the best course I've played yet.

1 2 Next >