Layout Extinct

3 / 332ft.   3 / 351ft.   3 / 409ft.   -- / 475ft. Par / Distance:

Waiting for the revamp!

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: maynes35
Pros: I think the actual layout and structure of the course is really nice. Several hard holes with technical shots if you want to make birdie. I thought the land was used well, and it was shaped well. I want to say before I move on to the "cons" section that I really liked the hole layouts by themselves, being the area between the tee box and basket.
I do want to point out that most of the reviews I read talk about how shady/sketchy the course is... I thought it was nice. Sure the neighborhood isn't great but you aren't actually playing in the neighborhood. There were people walking, playing ultimate and disc golfers. No part of the rating I gave was based on "questionable surroundings".

We both actually thought the park was nice. I saw very little trash, and none of the questionable people.
Cons: Talk about a course that needs some help, which thankfully is supposed to be coming this year. I could easily see this course being a 3.5 or 4.0 rating with a revamp.

Tee boxes - some of the worst I've played on (which I really only play courses rated well but still). A collaboration of sidewalks, mats, mud, and a concrete pad here and there. The best is the spray painted sidewalks for blue/red/white tees. I can appreciate using what you're given but that is pretty ghetto honestly.

Signage- Not one. Nothing to tell you where to go or how far or anything.

Baskets- Pretty bad, I usually take what I can get on baskets but these are needing replacing. Half are "shorty" baskets which seem to have about a foot less chain to hit.

Benches/trash cans - Don't remember seeing any of these around the tee box.

Layout (from basket to next tee)- Not the best, but not the worst. Just an arrow in the right direction would be great.
Other Thoughts: I played the morning after a hard rain so it was slippery throughout the course. I shot +2 out there and had a couple of tee shots where I was more worried about breaking an ankle/leg than where my disc was going.. which does not help a disc golf round.

The holes themselves where really nice. Good shape, and use of natural obstacles throughout. New baskets and a major overhaul of tee boxes will jump this course rating up about 1.5 discs. I just hope they'll handle the basket/tee box problems and add a little length to the holes when they can. Adding a couple long holes would be nice if possible.

The potential is there for a great course and I'll be interested to see it once the revamp is done.
As for right now I'd much rather play Victor Ashe, Groves Park "The Mounds", or probably even Admiral Farragut than this one.

5+    2/23/2011   2/24/2011
Review By: tjweig
Pros: I've played this course at least 40 times and it isn't really all that bad, just very neglected in terms of maintenance and updates. If you can find the longer tees, you'll definitely be challenged. Most everyone plays from the blue tees. I'm still learning how to play the game, and this course is both challenging and playable for me.

There are 4, yes 4 sets of tees for every hole (I think... but honestly I haven't found every tee for every hole yet).

Regardless of what you might think, they made the best of the land they had to work with. I respect that.
Cons: If its your first time playing here, you'll probably get turned around. There is zero signage (unless you count the spray painted hole numbers on the walking paths). As of february 2011, the course has seen better days.

The area is not a good area, lots of interesting characters passing through to say the least. If you're playing with a group I don't think you've got anything to worry about, but if you're there alone I'd make sure you look over your shoulder every now and then.

If you're looking for an aesthetically pleasing place to play, this isn't it. I have never seen more trash in a public park. It is a dumping ground, bottles everywhere, cardboard, old furniture, clothes, crutches, garbage bags full of trash.
Other Thoughts: Hole #1's basket location has changed, and I don't have the means to do so, but it would be nice to see the information changed on this site. I don't think the entire course layout needs to be changed, I like it actually. But this course needs signage, new tee pads, and new baskets. But honestly, I can see why these things haven't happened. The possibility of vandalism at this course due to the surrounding area seems high.

I'd really like to see a practice basket put in at this course too, when you need to warm up you're always in someone's way.

Ok course

1    8/24/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: JimDK27
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: Close to the school I go to. Easy to find. Pretty fun course. It is very compact which makes for a shorter walk time from hole to hole.
Cons: A lot of trash on the course. It is also confusing trying to find some of the tees and some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: *UPDATE: hole 5 has been lengthened by about 30ft and the basket is hard to see against its new background but it is on the same line as the old position. There are also some new mandos but you can see those fairly easy for yourself.
If you read this before you play then know that the 6th hole starts up the hill and back towards tee 5 and the hole is up the hill through the clearing. It took me forever to find. They have supposedly repainted the tee areas so they may be easier to find now.
If you go I would suggest going in the afternoon during the week to avoid the local hoodlums and don't go alone.