Layout Extinct

< Prev 1 2 3
 Waiting for the revamp!

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: maynes35
Pros: I think the actual layout and structure of the course is really nice. Several hard holes with technical shots if you want to make birdie. I thought the land was used well, and it was shaped well. I want to say before I move on to the "cons" section that I really liked the hole layouts by themselves, being the area between the tee box and basket.
I do want to point out that most of the reviews I read talk about how shady/sketchy the course is... I thought it was nice. Sure the neighborhood isn't great but you aren't actually playing in the neighborhood. There were people walking, playing ultimate and disc golfers. No part of the rating I gave was based on "questionable surroundings".

We both actually thought the park was nice. I saw very little trash, and none of the questionable people.
Cons: Talk about a course that needs some help, which thankfully is supposed to be coming this year. I could easily see this course being a 3.5 or 4.0 rating with a revamp.

Tee boxes - some of the worst I've played on (which I really only play courses rated well but still). A collaboration of sidewalks, mats, mud, and a concrete pad here and there. The best is the spray painted sidewalks for blue/red/white tees. I can appreciate using what you're given but that is pretty ghetto honestly.

Signage- Not one. Nothing to tell you where to go or how far or anything.

Baskets- Pretty bad, I usually take what I can get on baskets but these are needing replacing. Half are "shorty" baskets which seem to have about a foot less chain to hit.

Benches/trash cans - Don't remember seeing any of these around the tee box.

Layout (from basket to next tee)- Not the best, but not the worst. Just an arrow in the right direction would be great.
Other Thoughts: I played the morning after a hard rain so it was slippery throughout the course. I shot +2 out there and had a couple of tee shots where I was more worried about breaking an ankle/leg than where my disc was going.. which does not help a disc golf round.

The holes themselves where really nice. Good shape, and use of natural obstacles throughout. New baskets and a major overhaul of tee boxes will jump this course rating up about 1.5 discs. I just hope they'll handle the basket/tee box problems and add a little length to the holes when they can. Adding a couple long holes would be nice if possible.

The potential is there for a great course and I'll be interested to see it once the revamp is done.
As for right now I'd much rather play Victor Ashe, Groves Park "The Mounds", or probably even Admiral Farragut than this one.

A good mix of things

5+    8/3/2011   8/3/2011
Review By: m34tba11
Pros: Great mix of hole types..you have tight narrow tunnels; wide open long shots; sweeping doglegs it's a good mix of stuff for someone who is driving in the high 200s. If you are more advanced or just can throw the heck of the disc throw Reds for more of a challenge.

#2 and #6 are great holes for finding discs :D

Cons: Trashy
The shady characters dont really bother you, (if you dont bother them/believe in stereotypes).

hole #7 blue tee pad SUCKS after a hard rain.
city needs to mow more often..throw a disc w/ razor blades on some holes to help mow the grass.

Some teepads could use some TLC
Other Thoughts: Great use of space. I really dislike Victor Ashe b/c the space is underutilized. They could easily expand to 27 (individual) holes in the existing space that's being used and still run double pins on a few. Morning side is nice and close to downtown and gives you a lot of different obstacles to contend with.

If you are from out of town hit up Pluto Sports #1(downtown) for good course maps and info

Nefarious

1    6/24/2008   5/28/2011
Review By: Sandman01
Pros: The only pro is it gave me a chance to throw.
Cons: A lot...A pet peeve for me is trash which this course has a lot not to mention the shady charecters lurking around. Thank goodness I look shady myself so was not bothered but when you see matresses and clothing all over the park something is up. Itts a shame I chose this park tovisit when I was travelling.

Hard to find most of the tee boxes. I think I made up my own course when I played of course had one eye opened on the neighbors.
Other Thoughts: Trash, trash. Trash all over the place left me feeling bad after attempting to throw this course.

A Round at Morningside

1    3/12/2011   3/12/2011
Review By: rpitt08
Pros: A nice enough park not too far frowm downtown Knoxville. A few holes were difficult to find including the tee for hole 2. Many of the tees are indicated by spray paint (red or white) on the asphalt paths. Most of the blue tees have clearly marked tee boxes. Nice varied of shots and is fairly beginner friendly. Longer tees are more challenging. Nice elevation changes.
Cons: Tees need to be clearly marked.
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice play. A little on the boring side but try to find the long tees to challenge yourself.

5+    2/23/2011   2/24/2011
Review By: tjweig
Pros: I've played this course at least 40 times and it isn't really all that bad, just very neglected in terms of maintenance and updates. If you can find the longer tees, you'll definitely be challenged. Most everyone plays from the blue tees. I'm still learning how to play the game, and this course is both challenging and playable for me.

There are 4, yes 4 sets of tees for every hole (I think... but honestly I haven't found every tee for every hole yet).

Regardless of what you might think, they made the best of the land they had to work with. I respect that.
Cons: If its your first time playing here, you'll probably get turned around. There is zero signage (unless you count the spray painted hole numbers on the walking paths). As of february 2011, the course has seen better days.

The area is not a good area, lots of interesting characters passing through to say the least. If you're playing with a group I don't think you've got anything to worry about, but if you're there alone I'd make sure you look over your shoulder every now and then.

If you're looking for an aesthetically pleasing place to play, this isn't it. I have never seen more trash in a public park. It is a dumping ground, bottles everywhere, cardboard, old furniture, clothes, crutches, garbage bags full of trash.
Other Thoughts: Hole #1's basket location has changed, and I don't have the means to do so, but it would be nice to see the information changed on this site. I don't think the entire course layout needs to be changed, I like it actually. But this course needs signage, new tee pads, and new baskets. But honestly, I can see why these things haven't happened. The possibility of vandalism at this course due to the surrounding area seems high.

I'd really like to see a practice basket put in at this course too, when you need to warm up you're always in someone's way.

Holes good, all else bad

1    7/23/2009   2/6/2011
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 3/16/2011
Pros: This 18 hole course is fairly spread out in a city park that is pretty much just a disc golf course and paved walking trail. The design from hole to hole is the strength here offering a lot of variety- with varying degrees of open to wooded, moderate elevation including baskets on side hills, as well as many other unique challenges using the features of the park, both natural and man-made. I enjoyed the fact that each hole was unique.

The course supposedly offers four sets of tees per hole, and if you played here often and knew where to find them this would keep the course interesting for many rounds. A lot of the different tees drastically change the look of the hole.
Cons: This course is older and shows its age. It has been neglected and many of the baskets are in rough shape. Navigation is difficult and can be frustrating. (We had trouble finding several holes and spent a lot of time searching for any tee and we had to ask other players a couple of times if they knew, but they were just as lost as us!) There are 4 sets of tees per hole, but good luck finding them. We were doing good to find one tee and we ended up just playing each hole from the first tee we could find. The tees are inconsistent- combination of concrete, sidewalks, dirt, carpet, etc. adding to the difficulty of finding tees because you don't know what to look for.

The park itself is located in a not-so-nice looking part of town. You have to park on the street which made me a little uncomfortable to leave my car. The course was littered with trash everywhere, large boxes, carpet, and a lot of clothes giving the appearance that many other "activities" happen here after dark.
Other Thoughts: A couple of tips: 1) print a map and/or get a local DGer to show you around 2) spotters are recommended on holes #2 and #4 for sure 3) the last few holes are actually across the street.

This could be an excellent course, as the holes themselves are pretty good, but it needs some major work (some of the other reviews say that improvements are in the works, and I hope so.) The area looked shady and so did some of the people we met, but everyone we saw kept to themselves and those we talked to were nice and we did not have any problems.

Knoxville as a whole for disc golf would rank in TN below the Nashville, Memphis, and Bristol areas in my opinion. OK if you are passing through, but don't make it a priority destination.

Quick round in a city park

1    12/31/2010   1/2/2011
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Creative use of the land provided. I especially liked the rock soldiers guarding the basket on Hole 7. Multiple tee pads on every hole (easy)white/blue/red/orange(hard). Friendly local disc golfers. Very effective use of mandos and OB to increase the variety of shots required to score well. Mixture of concrete/natural tee pads. Every single piece of elevation was used effectively. Not many amenities but I did see a nice playground for the kids around the Hole 17/18 area.
Cons: Navigation was hard in spots. Some of the baskets were very old and single chained. Anyone in the park not playing disc golf looked very seedy. Some holes had no tee pad, just a marker in the ground or a line on some sidewalk, which did make mud an issue.
Other Thoughts: A short walk down the trail from 9 to 10 was hard to spot through the leaves. Crossing the street for Hole 14 would have had me scratching my head as well without the help of a local. We followed a couple the whole time so navigation really wasn't an issue. Also, a twitchy dude with a big scrape over his eye asked asked me what the fastest way out of the park was on Hole 6. He told me a long winded story about getting in a fight at the apartment complex nearby. He seemed nice enough... Anyways, I enjoyed playing through the blue tees. They were just enough to be challenging for the mid-level player. I look forward to coming back to play the orange tees, which in most cases drastically changed the way each hole played.

5+    12/6/2010   12/6/2010
Review By: coolhand
Pros: my favorite course in knoxville. changing the setup though. it's in good hands (stan mcdaniel) though for sure. not sure when that's going down. if you play this course from the red or orange tees it is one of the most challenging you will find. i loved it. very easy from the blues.
Cons: holes across the road are close to field that almost always has ultimate players everywhere. it's in the ghetto.

Love it!

2-4    8/27/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: adrake
Pros: I loved this course. Course has tons of different holes with lots of different looks at the pen. Has shorter holes and longer holes. It has the variety that I like, and the holes are just pretty.
Great teepads
Good, deep baskets
Lot's of tee options
There is a map layout of the course their.
Cons: Hole #1 was almost impossible to see for the blue tee. I got lucky and found a guy right their and asked him. Course can be a little confusing the first time.
Kind of in a ghetto area
Other Thoughts: Love the look of hole #2 and throwing from the mound of #8. Fun course with a cool layout

Older Gem

5+    4/20/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: vidyogamer
Pros: This is the oldest course in Knoxville and on a few holes does show its age. That being said the layout in the space available is incredible. Several shots look about as big as a postage stamp from the tee only to open up into a wide open fairway. The variety of open and narrow holes lend to this courses playability.
Cons: Bad reputation of the neighborhood does hurt the appeal of this course. In the past the area has been a questionable area and it hasn't lost that rep. Lack of facilities reasonably close does hurt a little as well.
Other Thoughts: Course description.

Hole #1 has been moved in recent months to prevent damage to cars parked along the road. The old blue tee at the top of the hill is now the white tee. The basket has been moved in from around 300 ft. to around 175 ft. from the white tee.

Hole #2 has to be the most intimidating shot at first glance. The hole plays through a HEAVILY wooded fairway sloping steeply down from right to left. Poorly placed puts have a very good chance of rolling far off down the hill.

Hole #3 plays down a hill through a tight fairway through about a dozen large trees. Basket is at the bottom of the hill in a V created by the trees.

Hole #4 plays through a hole in the tree line and up the hill on the other side. Fairway opens up quite a bit on the other side of the trees.

Hole #5 plays across a hill sloping moderately down hill left to right.

Hole #6 is one of the gems of this course. the hole play for about 150 ft. or so up a hill and doglegs left at the top opening into a fairly sizable putting area overlooking the river.

Hole #7 is a slight right dogleg fairway with the basket about 250 ft. away sheltered by two large boulders.

Hole #8 plays from the top of a large mound into a narrowing fairway sheltered by a large willow tree. This is another signature hole on this course.

Hole #9 follows an uphill track to the left through several large trees narrowing slightly near the top.

Hole #10 is a tight opening drive opening up into a spacious fairway all the way up to the basket.

Hole #11 is a straight on shot with a slight fade left to a basket sheltered from above and in front by several Bradford Pear trees.

Hole #12 is a dogleg right along an open fairway lined by Bradford Pear trees down the left side and a fairly steep hill covered in thick brush on the right.

Hole #13 has a wedge shaped fairway opening up towards the basket. The basket itself is sheltered by a large oak tree.

Hole #14 one of the two newest holes to the course. The basket is sheltered by over a dozen medium sized trees and tees across a large open drainage basin. Routes on either side of the raised basket.

Hole #15 is a dogleg left through a large group of trees and plays to another elevated basket.

Hole #16 this is the other new hole. The hole play uphill to the right to a pin across the path from a large gazebo.

Hole #17 is a straight shot for about 150 ft. then fades right. Fairway is narrow as it plays between several large trees to the left and moderately thick brush on the right.

Hole #18 is similar in layout to hole 17 yet plays completely different. The hole travels for about 175 ft. and fades left to an elevated pin placement.

< Prev 1 2 3