Layout Extinct

Hole #1 Approach

Fun Short Course full of Birdies

1    5/19/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: DGAggie
Pros: Fun course with several short tight ally shots. A good mix of flicks and back hands. Two tees a red and a blue. There are numerous birdie opportunities on this precision course. Given the space the course was designed well.
Cons: Poor tee signs; the reds are difficult to find on each hole. Also no concrete or well marked tee pads. The course is very short and does not allow for any real bomb shots.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to practice your precision mid-range shots.

Good course, if you'll work for it.

1    4/25/2010   5/1/2010
Review By: AlexAuB
Pros: Interesting terrain with some truly memorable holes (almost all on the front nine).

Insane variety in tee placements - there are four tees on almost every hole, provided you can find them. White is a must-deuce on every hole, Blue is manageable, Red is very difficult but fair, and Orange is just plain crazy.

Secluded and used almost exclusively for disc golf. That said, this course is CROWDED if you play at a peak time.
Cons: Almost impossible to navigate without the help of a map or, better yet, a local. Some tees are extremely difficult to find.

Only one poured concrete tee. The rest are either natural or lines spray-painted on sidewalks.

The only parking is on Hazen St. which, in addition to putting your car at some risk from drives on #1 and #14, leaves your car in a fairly suspect area of town.

Zero signage, trash cans, bathrooms...any sort of amenities.

Baskets haven't been changed since the course was installed in the early 80's. Gives the course some character, but they can spit out some questionable putts.
Other Thoughts: It seems like the cons heavily outweigh the pros when reading reviews, but they tend to leave out the most important part - this course is just plain fun to play, mostly because of its personality. Winding through steep elevation changes and some impressive trees, throwing to ancient and weathered baskets, it's a different breed of disc golf than what you'll get at a course like Victor Ashe.

I live roughly equal distances between this course and Victor Ashe, and although the latter is better-maintained, stocked with amenities, and in all respects a pro-caliber course, I'll play here instead 9 times out of 10. It's just more fun.

Where do you Start

1    4/19/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: metthem
Pros: I couldn't find any.......
Cons: Very very sketchy neighborhood. Launch pad? are you kidding me, we found a painted blue line with the number 18, on the bike path, with no direction of which of the baskets to throw to, WTF? We also found a white line with the number 16 on the bike path too, are these the tee pads? NO-one was there (cept the few dudes walking in the road) and my car was parked alone with out of town plates on it, I was expecting it to get broke into. Absolutely no signage, no marked baskets, no tee pads, cept for the bike path I guess. Did someone mention a map? Where do you get them? We left after about 30 minutes of trying to figure out how to play this course, absolutely ridiculous.
Other Thoughts: I guess if you find somebody that knows where you throw from and too, it would be ok.

Could be great

1    5/9/2009   1/30/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course is on a piece of property that seems mostly devoted to disc golf, with great hills and a nice mix of open areas with scattered trees, and more densely wooded areas. The course takes advantage of this variety with lots of hill shots, with some great basket placements on hillsides or among boulders to add some fun risk factor to putting. There is a really nice mix of holes where you can rip it a little, and ones where you really need to hit a line to stay out of brush or keep from ending up way down a hill.

There is a nice variety of hole shapes, with multiple lines required to score well, especially from the tougher tees. It felt pretty balanced between right and left turning holes, with a few straight shots thrown in too.

There are (supposedly) four tees on every hole, and the ones we found added another level of variety to the course. Many offered totally different looks at the hole from different tees, so you wouldn't get bored playing here often. The couple local players we met were really quite nice and helpful, and were more than happy to help us navigate the course. Despite other reviews, we felt entirely safe in the neighborhood and on the course, and when we had trouble finding the beginning of the course there were some neighborhood kids who pointed us in the right direction.
Cons: The navigation on this course is nearly impossible without local guides or a map (or both). We had a hard time finding tees at all on many holes, and ended up playing a mix of red, white and blue tees for time's sake. It's also often difficult to find the next hole often, especially when the course crosses the street into another part of the park.

The course is poorly maintained, with rusty baskets, run down tees, and no real signage. On top of this, the park is a complete mess, with trash everywhere including broken glass around many baskets and tees.

The holes across the street didn't flow well with the rest of the course, and had a totally different feel. They weren't bad holes, but they were in a more heavily used park with lots of foot traffic on the walking path that came into play on nearly every hole.
Other Thoughts: This course has a huge amount of potential. The design is solid, with some really nice holes. If some work was put into cleaning up the park and marking the course so that the tee pads were visible, this would easily be a 4 disc course. As it stands, this course is still worth playing if you have a map, or preferably a guide, and if you don't mind doing some exploring to figure out the course.

Beginners will find this course a little tough, though there are short tees that help with that. More experienced players will have a lot of fun negotiating the various challenges this course presents.

Morningside Park

5+    11/22/2009   11/26/2009
Review By: b_rad44
Pros: Good mixture of long open shots and technical woody shots, fairly well kept, easy access, good elevation changes
Cons: poor take-offs, confusing hole lay-out for 1st timers, sketchy neighborhood (though most of the neighbors seem really nice)
Other Thoughts: This is my most visited and favorite disc golf course and I frequent it. It is in the early process of a redesign with parking and a more practical hole layout being the main changes. neighborhood kids from the surrounding low-income housing have caused trouble in late afternoons so I would recommend going with a friend, though it is usually throwing rocks and such at the worst.

What could have been.

5+    8/4/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: glax
Pros: Like everyone has said, this course is well layed out and alot of fun to play. Back in the late 90's the back nine was destroyed to make way for road construction. It has never been the same.
Cons: Very shady area of town, this place has been a crime zone for years. Don't hang around after dark!
Other Thoughts: Worth playing but, I can't help and think back to the good old days.

Just Needs Some TLC

2-4    9/5/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: nicemeup
Pros: This is a really fun course with a good mix of technical shots and opportunities to let it rip. With lots of elevation changes and a few mandos, no two holes are alike. There's a wide open meadow surrounded by 15-18 that makes a nice driving range for pregame warmups.
Cons: The layout is a little tricky and signage is bad to nonexistent. You have to look out for colored metal poles that designate the teeboxes on some holes, spraypainted rocks or lines on the sidewalk on others. As other reviews mention, there is a little bit of a litter issue, and sometimes you'll encounter some transients. They keep to themselves, but just be aware that they're there. Hole #2 is a pretty easy place to lose a disc in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a lot of fun. Your best bet is to play it with someone who's been there before so you can find your way around.

Ok course

1    8/24/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: JimDK27
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: Close to the school I go to. Easy to find. Pretty fun course. It is very compact which makes for a shorter walk time from hole to hole.
Cons: A lot of trash on the course. It is also confusing trying to find some of the tees and some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: *UPDATE: hole 5 has been lengthened by about 30ft and the basket is hard to see against its new background but it is on the same line as the old position. There are also some new mandos but you can see those fairly easy for yourself.
If you read this before you play then know that the 6th hole starts up the hill and back towards tee 5 and the hole is up the hill through the clearing. It took me forever to find. They have supposedly repainted the tee areas so they may be easier to find now.
If you go I would suggest going in the afternoon during the week to avoid the local hoodlums and don't go alone.

Could be a great course

1    7/10/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: roadtripstuff
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: Great variety in distances, good mix of left, right, and straight shots, very creative basket placements (trees, rocks, etc around basket adding challenge, multiple tee pads on each hole
Cons: street parking only, very dirty, no tee signs, very hard to navigate, no trash cans on course(have to go off the course and use the ones in the park), no bathrooms, tee pads vary and are very hard to find all of them
Other Thoughts: First I want to say that this course has all the makings of a great course 3.5 - 4 discs. The layout and obstacles on the course are amazing. Hole #7, for instance, the basket is surrounded by huge boulders, adding a lot of character and challenge to this course. The tee pads leave a lot to be desired, but if it weren't for all of the other cons this wouldn't be an issue at all, I have definitely seen and played on worse. The real issue with this course is the maintenance. I don't think I have ever seen a dirtier and down right disgusting course out of the 45 that I have now played. There was broken glass surrounding almost every basket, as if people had been using them as bottle catchers instead of using them to catch discs. The amount of other trash was also amazing to me. Beer bottles, diapers, and used contraceptives were the abundance of the trash. We also found about six shotguns shells laying around the basket for #10. All of this was a real shame because the course itself is amazing and if taken care of properly could be amazing.

When you come into the park you will pass the park sign on the right, and continue just past it, you will see the sign for the course, and the tee for #1 on your right. You can park along the street hear the tee for one.

The course has four tees for each hole, but they can be very hard to locate. We played from the blue tees, some of which are nice concrete tees, others were spray painted lines on blacktop walkways throughout the park. The best advice I have is to print the map if you are a first timer. There is not one at the course, and its almost impossible to find all of the tees without it, many of them as I said before are painted lines on blacktop, so you can't see them from any distance.

The shots on this course are amazing, there is a very good mix of left to right as well as wooded and open holes. They also did an amazing job of using the elevation changes that they had to add more challenge to the course.

I would want everyone to get out and play this course at least once, but there are some things I would be prepared for and some things that I just wouldn't do. If you are going to get out and play this one, I would leave the kids at home, with all of the trash and broken glass its not a great place for them. I had my dog with me and was worried for him because of the amount of broken glass that was around, we just tried to keep him in the grass, and away from the baskets, it seems the blacktop and baskets were the main targets for the bottles. I would also recommend playing with someone or a couple people you know. Like I said the course itself plays great, if you can deal with the cons, we did and it wasn't horrible, than get out and give this one a try.

Update: After some discussion in the forums and some thinking I decided to change my rating a bit. Someone had asked me were the litter problems really enough to give it a two disc rating? After some thinking I decided that while the litter was bad, the course itself played really well, probably a 4 disc course without the litter and other maintenance issues. There were some navigation issues, but there is map online, so I guess I should have printed it out and it would have been a lot easier. So anyway what I did was take my original score, 2 discs which was based more on the upkeep, and the score of 4 discs which the course play gets and used the average. Sorry for the rant, but I do think this course deserves to get played a my original rating might deter some people from giving it a chance.

B+ for Bery Bery Nice Urban Course

5+    10/23/2006   6/7/2009
Pros: This review is based on playing the red tees (not the longest ones since they were not defined when I last played it).

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A