Morristown, TN
Morristown Kiwanis DGC Share
Uploaded By: Baysinger Hole #5 (Taken 8/2009)
3 / 302ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Very Fun

1    4/6/2014   4/6/2014
Review By: lammersk
Pros: This course takes some technical skill to play, but it isn't ridiculously hard. It's just a lot of fun. You're going to hit some trees, but generally there isn't a lot of underbrush, so you won't be searching forever or climbing through brambles to get your disc. You'll vary which disc you use. Some pins you'll use the one which flies straight, on others there's enough room to use your distance disc, and then you'll need the one which you can get to break at just the right distance to match a hook in the fairway (the Buzzz for me). While this course isn't hard enough to scare beginners away it is definitely one that you need to play a few times to really get a handle on.
Cons: Minor: The Pits: A number of pins played around big pits in the ground. It would have taken a very bad throw to have a disc land in there, but I've made plenty of very bad throws before. While I'm pretty sure I could have gotten down there to retrieve the disc, I'm not sure I'd make it back up. Consider it the equivalent of a water hazard.

Minor: A number of the pins felt short. This didn't bother me terribly since the short ones always seemed to have some skill required to play.
Other Thoughts: I made a trip to Morristown to play Cherokee Park, the Rotary course, and the Kiwanis course. This was the best of the three, hands down. If I lived closer to it I would work it into my regularly played courses with Winged Deer and Warrior's Path, although it's not quite at their level.

I suspect that I will every so often be making the trip to Morristown to play Kiwanis and Cherokee Park in tandem. Playing the two of them will make the hour+ trip worth it.

My Favorite Course!

5+    3/30/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: Baysinger
Pros: Morristown's best course and my personal favorite! Great mix in holes that veer to the left, straight laser shots, holes that play downhill and back uphill, and holes that veer to the right. Even a couple dog-legs. They pretty much thought of every kind of shot you could imagine with this course and threw it in the mix. Always kept up with very well. I was told that the people who take care of the course also play disc golf so they take care of it the way disc golfers want it taken care of. Sinage and tee pads are perfect. Exactly what you want to see on a course. Very close to 2 other 18 hole courses by the same designer. Fairly quick course to get your disc golf fix for a round or two.
Cons: The only real cons I can think of is safety around the sink hole around holes 5 and 7 and the cave on 13. You right of the sink hole on 5 and straight towards it on 7. As long as you have a decent drive there should be no worries but there is a chance you could go down in the sink hole. I like the idea of it as an obsticle for the course but I believe maybe some steps going down the side would make it a lot safer for the unfortunate drives that land in the bottom. Same for the cave on 13. You throw to the left of it but I have seen a kick back many times where a disc ended up in the cave. Once again shouldnt be a problem most of the time but would be good to have a rope or some steps to make the walk down into the cave safer. Other than this the only other con is it can get a bit muddy in certain spots on a day after it rains. Other than these small issues... no major problems! Just watch out for people on the walking trail as not to hurt anyone while they are getting their exercise in!
Other Thoughts: As I said above, this is easitly my favorite course. As of now I have played 24 different courses and this one is the one that I prefer over any. May be because it was my first course I ever played / my home course... not really sure but something about it keeps me playing it at least 2 times a week. Also, course maps / brochures available at all times would be a great addition to all the Morristown courses. Out of towners would really appreciate it.

One of my favorites

5+    12/16/2013   12/17/2013
Review By: TroyJ
Pros: This is a great course. One of my favorites. The tee pads and baskets are clearly marked and everything is very easy to find. On certain holes they will change the basket location a little to change things up. 99% of the course is very well kept up, which is hard to come by sometimes. Its a short and technical course so its easy to get in a quick round before or after work. One or 2 people can play through the course in a bout 30 minites depending on how fast you play.Also this is a small park so there are never to many people there unless there are ball games going on.
Cons: Like I said before, 99% kept up. There are still some areas that if your disc goes there your going to spend atleast 30 minites looking for a disc. This is TN so like every where that is some what wooded you have critters to be aware of, main of all snakes. My group and I have encountered serveral. Over all though not to many bad things to say about the course. Not much parking when there is a good group of people there. (baseball games etc)
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses like I said before. I play this course all the time after I get off from work. The length is perfect to get in your disc golf fix and not spend your whole day at the park.

1    11/1/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Matt T
Pros: Excellent course for learning. Forces me to focus on my lines and know what disc in my bag does what. Really clean as well. There were benches and trashcans at what seemed like every other hole.
Cons: None really that I could think of unless you don't like walking up and down hills. If you get kind of bad roll it can turn worse quickly but thats just part of the game.

My favorite course in Morristown

5+    12/23/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: cberney
Pros: This course is great for beginners and pros.
Has short and long tees. Holes that go left and right. Tee pads on all holes with tee signs.
Cons: Some holes have a lot of trees, other than that I do not see anything else wrong with this course.
Other Thoughts: I love the layout of the course. You can start on hole #1 play 9 and end back up where you started. You can start on #10 and finish on #18 and end back up where you started. Great course to play!!

Fun course

1    10/14/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: RonnieHolbert
Pros: This was the first time I ever played disc golf. Had a great time time. I think its an easy course.
Other Thoughts: Its sad that vandals cut the hand rail saftey ropes. Unfortunately this website does not like my review. Its too short. It doesn't want to post it.

Unique and Excellent

1    8/22/2012   8/31/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: This course has so many good qualities, I don't know where to start! I was impressed at hole #1, and it just kept getting better.
PLAY; The play of this course is very smooth. I didn't have any trouble finding the next tee pad, thanks to the great signage and flow of the layout. The course utilizes the land well; perfectly fitting 18 holes of great disc golf in the space provided. Baskets and tee pads were solid, likely above average. The yellow basket tops are always easier to identify in a wooded course.
The fairways were all "fair", if you will. No ridiculous shots are required, while the course does offer a great variety of average difficulty shots, with a nice balance of a few easies and a few hards. Lots of elevation change, hyzers/anhyzers, wooded/open, and "sinkholes" are all involved in this course. And my favorite pro... the course makes a perfect loop, so you start and finish where you park!
SURROUNDINGS; I had the course to myself, although I played at 1:00 on a Wednesday. The course is gorgeous, in my opinion, with the rocky landscape and abundance of mature trees. I haven't really seen anything like it. It seems to be well-taken care of.
There's also a map, bathrooms, vending machines, and a practice basket on site.
I also appreciate that the course takes time to assign different pars to different holes.
Cons: Sharp rocks could damage discs? I didn't run into this problem, but it could happen...
Other Thoughts: CHECK OUT THIS COURSE IF YOU'RE IN THE AREA.

Nice short wooded course

1    7/28/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: byebyebirdie
Pros: Nice short 18 hole course on an neat landscape. Beautiful rock formations and sink holes bordered by a mix of cedar and old oak forest. Most of the fairways are well defined unlike some comparable technical/wooded courses. Has a nice mix of pin placements that require a variety of shots. Amateurs will love this course because you don't need a strong arm to have fun. More advanced players will appreciate the challenge of the technical shots required.
Cons: Not many cons to mention. If you're the player that enjoys a course with long open fairways ('grip & rip'), this is probably not the course for you. Even though there is good signage some of the holes require you to walk a good ways down the fairway to locate the basket (this is to be expected). Restrooms on site but were locked when we played (not sure if this is the case every weekend)
Other Thoughts: Overall a nice course designed by H.B. Clark. The landscape of the course really is something to appreciate. If you're the player that enjoys the challenge of a short wooded course then you can't miss this one. If you like longer more open fairways make sure to visit H.B.'s other course: Cherokee Park--which is not too far away.

Morristown technical short course

5+    6/11/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: doctorgrainger
Pros: Playability:
-great course for beginners and intermediate
-great layout and easy to follow
-a nice balance of straight and dogleg throws
-sinkholes add a nice potential psych-out
-defined fairways

Upkeep
-Great Signage post for everyhole
-Trash cans almost on everyhole
-Random benches
-Clean bathrooms
-Drink vending machines in parking lot
-pins are moved around
Cons: Playability
-mud on 5&7
-hole 9 has "a rope" to help you go down & up
-no grip & rip holes
-one bad shot will make you pay; trees or sinkhole
-random powerlines in middle of course
-no secondary tees
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great and fun course to play. I highly recommend it if you are in the knoxville/bristol area. It is a nice balanced short technical course. The pros outweigh the cons byfar. The signature hole to me would be 9.

Random fun-
I like to change up the hole numbers to have an outside and inside set. Outside: 3,4,5,6,14,15,16,17,18. Inside 10,11,12,13,7,8,9,1,2.
Some holes can be linked well for additional fun.

Morristown: home of the white rocks

1    5/20/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/1/2013
Pros: Morristown Kiwanis is a unique course to say the least. The course can be summed up by three things: trees, valleys and rocks. If you avoid those, you'll be in good shape.
- Very interesting piece of land. Looking at the online pictures, I always envisioned this course to be in a hilly, more mountainous region. Nope. You pull into the parking lot, and it looks like a regular, run-of-the-mill park with no visible elevation. You walk to hole #1, and you feel like you've crossed over into somewhere else.
- Due in part to the terrain, there are some very interesting hole layouts here. There aren't any overly difficult or long holes on the course, rather a bunch of solid to above average holes.
- This course belongs to the dog(legs). On the front nine alone, #2, 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8 are doglegs. On one hand it gives you plenty of practice, on the other, it can get old pretty quickly.
- The other major obstacle the course uses is heavy tree coverage. The four hole stretch of #9 - 12 are on the extreme end of being challenging, teetering on the edge of being unfair. #11, especially might have too much luck factor in it. At least it's a short hole, so If you hit a tree, you should still have a good chance to salvage par.
- The course places all of its emphasis on accuracy. Only six holes are longer than 300 feet, the longest is the downhill 333 foot #8, so if you can control your shots, you will be seeing a lot of birdie putts. The front nine generally is a little more open with wider fairways than the back nine. So, you better get your birdies early because they're a lot harder to get on the back nine.
- Very good tee signs and tee pads. Course also has a great flow to it, with short walks between holes. As a first-time player, I had printed out a map, but never needed it. The only slightly confusing part would be the quagmire where the tees for #8 & 13 are right next to each other, so if you can't/don't read the signs, you could easily go from #7 to 13 without noticing it. Also, the front nine and back nine both wind up back at the parking lot, so you can start on either #1 or 10, or only play nine holes if desired.
- The rock formations are pretty cool. On some holes they take up a big chunk of the fairway, so be careful about scraping up your discs. Also, a couple of the valleys are pretty cool. There's a huge hole on the right side of #7, which might be 20 feet deep. My tee shot landed on a rock ledge in this hole, which is about 50 - 75 feet from the basket, and I was below ground throwing my second shot.
Cons: The biggest issue I noticed here is that the course is very repetitive. The trees, valleys and rocks can be a good thing, but it also gets very redundant by the time you're on the back nine.
- The lack of variety goes beyond the terrain. The hole lengths are all between 200 and 333 feet, with an average length of 270. Throw in the amount of doglegs, and yes, you do feel like you're throwing the same shot the whole time.
- There could be some safety concerns with all the rocks. The walk downhill on #9 is kind of steep and rock-laden, and the only aid you have is a rope. It doesn't seem like that's enough of a precaution to prevent injuries. All, the rocks appear like they could be very slick when the course is wet. There should be better signage in some of the valleys/holes, especially the deep hole I mentioned above on #7.
- On the Sunday afternoon I played this course, there were three groups of people using the course as a walking trail. There is also a walking path that comes into play on some holes on the back nine, so be alert to that.
Other Thoughts: Seeing this piece of land, one thought came to my mind. I could just see the Parks & Rec department trying to decide what to do with this piece of land, seeing the potential safety concerns (we can't have walkers/kids on here, they'll get hurt), and deciding to put a disc golf on the land (DGers don't care, they'll play anywhere). So, yes, even though you're right in the middle of the park, you're almost isolated from everyone else.
- The repetitiveness of the course is a definite love/hate aspect of the course. A little more variety would have made the course even better. By hole #15, I was wishing for something different. At least you end with a tight, rock-free hole on #18.
- I could see this course appealing to beginners to experienced players. Newcomers and regular players will like the challenge. Pros, on the other hand, will probably have a field day.
- Unique courses always are appealing to me. It's part of the draw that will bring players back for more.
- This is a solid course within the Knoxville area. If you've only got time for one or two courses in the area, there are better ones to play. If you live in the area, or have the time, you'll like the variety this course has to offer.

< Prev 1 2 3