St. Paul, MN
Highland Park Share
Uploaded By: sunshay Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)

A fun, popular little coarse.

2-4    6/30/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: Barefooter
Pros: Well groomed park.
Fine tee pads and baskets.
Friendly locals, casual crowd.
2 miles from my Aunts house.
Cons: No tee signs,
It's a newbie crowd so sometimes they are in weird places not paying attention, so look twice.
Can get crowded quickly.
Other Thoughts: This was my daily player while visiting my wife's Aunt in St. Paul. To that end it preforms perfectly.
It plays quickly if the traffic is light. I mostly played it on weekday mornings in the summer, not too bad. I will play this coarse every time I am in town.

Nothing Special

2-4    9/7/2011   9/8/2011
Review By: ElectricBoogaloo
Pros: -This course has wide-open fairways and no underbrush to speak of. No lost discs!

-Well worn paths lead you to the next tee immediately (except for 9).

-More than just a pitch and putt. Some holes require a big arm, or a good approach game.

-Great grass all over the course. Well mowed with no rough to speak of. This allows for nice casual barefoot rounds, which I really enjoy on a nice summer day.

-The WPA building is a pretty cool course feature.

-Nice trapezodial teepads. Run-ups aren't really necessary, but some players might find them a bit short.

-The people playing here are pretty friendly. Not the greatest players, but I've never seen a roaming pack of 6 players that slow the whole round down.

-#4 is a fun little hole. It's a short hole, but there is a large drop-off immediately to the right of the basket. It makes you think about your shot, which doesn't happen often at this course.

-This is a great course to take a beginner to. It's easy enough for learning, a beautiful city park, and you can't lose discs.

-Decent baskets
Cons: -Wide-open fairways mean little to no shot shaping is required.

-CAUTION: There must be a hornets nest in the trees on the walk from five to six. I nearly got swarmed.

-I still haven't found #9's teepad, but I usually just tee from the walking path.

-#8 can be a bit confusing at first. You can easily think that you are shooting straight ahead at #9's basket. Just remember that 8 is the long hole that follows the road turning left.

-No trash cans on any holes, but the litter wasn't too bad so it's not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: The wide-open nature of this course allows for a great opportunity to learn a disc. If a have a new disc, I often come here to learn how it flies. Much more entertaining than field practice.

This is a great course to go to if you don't have 2 hours to play a round, but it doesn't offer much for repeat players. I've only played here 3 or 4 times, but I feel like thats all I need to play here before I get totally bored with it.

Nice for a warm up

1    9/6/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: frylock
Pros: ~Nice Baskets
~Easy beginner course
~Great for warming up or brushing up on your skills
Cons: ~Tee pads are just TOO short
~No signage
~No numbers on tee pads
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course if your looking to warm up before a big round. We hit this one up on our way out to Hyland. Unless your with someone who's been here before navigation can be a little confusing, but after one round through it's easy.

Good but unspectacular

5+    2/7/2012   8/19/2011
Review By: bigbeano
This review was updated on 2/7/2012
Pros: If played as an all par 3 it is a decent length, fairways are well kept, nice bathrooms on site. A quick play for those in search of a faster round.
Cons: Extremely busy, cement tee off locations seemed to be a little bit shorter than usual, no signage.
Other Thoughts: The course was pretty well maintained. Some more experienced players would think that it's too short, but for the casual player it's okay. There is a section of woods that really only comes into play for one hole; this is a wasted opportunity to add some new elements and difficulty to the course. The tee off for hole 9 can be difficult to find as it is a painted (and badly faded) line on a pedestrian walkway, I would've never found it if I wasn't golfing with somebody who had been there before.

UPDATE: This erosion at this course around the tee pads and baskets has become quite bad. Avoid this course during the spring thaw or after rains as these areas of the course essentially become giant swamps. Several baskets will puddle up to the point where you can't finish the hole unless you're willing to get your feet wet up past your ankles. This significant problem forces me to knock the course rating down from a 3.0 to 2.5. Once this is fixed I will feel comfortable moving my rating back up to 3.0.

Nice Recreational Nine Holer!

1    7/15/2011   7/23/2011
This review was updated on 9/8/2011
Pros: The Highland Park plays in what seems to be a pretty much disc golf exclusive area of a large metro park. It's an excellent piece of land for a course with wide open expanses of rolling hills and mature trees. There are no signs but it was easy to navigate by just following the baskets to teepads. The baskets are DGA with the red numbers on top. That helped with the navigation. The pads are the large trapazoid shaped concrete ones. I like the # 4 hole the best, it's about 200' from the longs to a basket close to a fairly deep gorge to the right of the basket. Don't want to go right on this hole. This is a great little recreational course. Intermediate players should score well here but they might eventually get a little bored.
I like the old WPA building from 30's. Adds a bit of charactor to the park. I hope they can find a suitable use for it someday.
Cons: Lack of challenge for players intermediate and above. Other than that, this is just your basic little metro rec course. Enjoy it for what it is. I'd like to see add some very simple vandal proof signs or at least write some numbers on the pads.
Other Thoughts: I'm sure this course gets busy but isn't that what we're all about, promoting this game??? This is just an excellent place to introduce someone to our sport or bring your girlfriend for an enjoyable little throw. It's the perfect course for that quick little 30 minute round before work or when you're in a hurry.

I had a guy and his son stop and park his classic 1955 Chevy on the busy street next to the # 2 teepad and come over and ask me about the game. He and his son ended up throwing a few of my discs and vowing to buy some of their own and get started. I like it when the disc golf courses are visible from streets-more publicity for what we're doing out there.

5+    9/6/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: E_Rock25
Pros: Easy & open. Great for beginners. Nice tee pads and well kept. Can be played in 30 min with no problem. good for working on your short game.
Cons: Short and no imaginative. This course is easy. Watch out for hoodlums on the road trying to steal you disks. I got one stolen on hole 7 and the same kids were there the next day. I got my disk back and gave them a scare maybe it wont be a problem after I talked to them.

Quick 9 holes of fun

1    7/10/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: Astus Vulpi
Pros: Great course for beginners and warming up. very small range, and very easy to find discs.
Cons: it does have a few places that cut a bit too close to traffic for comfort, and some of the holes are absurdly easy.
Other Thoughts: I have only played this course once, but I did find it quite fun. If you are an beginner, this is a good course to start on.

1    4/25/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: Rentadot
Pros: Lots of players to follow for 1st timers, only 1 blind basket (#8)
Cons: Lots of 1st timers/beginners make for slower play. Watch for traffic on #'s 4 & 8 - parallel to the road.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice if the city updated the park map on the kiosk with the course layout rather than just a vague "9 hole DGC" statement.

Nice

5+    11/15/2009   1/21/2010
Review By: ChillyWilly
Pros: -Almost all terrain is grassy so it's hard to lose discs. If you throw your disc in a tree, grab one of the big fallen branches from the creek to knock it out.
-It's pretty balanced in terms of handedness advantage
Cons: -Highland get's very crowded in the summer, especially on the weekends or after work. People tend to be pretty considerate of singletons though.
Other Thoughts: -It's my "home" course and I've probably played it over 100 times. Definitely not the hardest course, but you're close to Kaposia, Acorn, etc. There are still a few good challenges though. I've never birdied #8. I've seen very few righties who can consistently stick their drive on #5 to set up a birdy. The wall of trees forces a sharp right at the end so you either have to throw forehand with accuracy or a turnover backhand. At the same time, there are a lot of holes where you just have to throw a nice straight 250ft drive. So overall, a lot of opportunities to practice your fundamentals.
-On #8, the sign no longer exists, but the street is OB.
-You can expand #1 by driving from up near the little building where the bathrooms are.

Open park, old school course

1    12/21/2009   12/21/2009
Pros: 1) Holes are just long enough for the average player to really make you work for your birdies. It takes a really good drive on most holes to get close enough to birdie.

2) Nice big grippy concrete teepads and are generally shovelled in winter.

3) Nice DGA baskets in very good shape especially considering the location of this course set in the heart of the metro area. I think my friend actually swung a deal to get one of the old baskets. I noticed it in his yard last year when I visited and I am pretty sure he said it was one of the old baskets from Highland.

4) Terrain is pretty nice in that it is gently rolling hills however they don't use the big elevation changes at all (and #1 is by far the hole with the biggest change from tee to basket, maybe 10-15' vertical).

5) Someone else said it in their review, and truthfully I thought I might be the first to mention it . . . but I love it when city parks leave those old building up. There is some mystique that goes with those buildings and the past stories they have been involved in. I can only imagine what happened inside of that old building back in the day. I just like to see those buildings maintained and left on site, maybe someday it could become a disc golf store!

6) Course is fairly isolated from any other activity areas which is nice. No worries about slamming a disc right into someone, except where #9 is someone who launches one that hyzers out badly could end up over near the pavilion.

7) Beginner friendly. This is a straight out course with minimal obstacles and perfect for a beginner to come out and learn the game.
Cons: 1) Because of location I can assume this course will be full all of the time. I played in winter and noone else was there, but it is in the heart of the metro area (probably closer to downtown St. Paul than any other course). This could all lead to slow rounds (again just an assumption from what other people have said and the location).

2) Map at the kiosk is a map of the whole park and all it says is "9 hole disc golf course". You would think that after 21 years in existence it would be nice to have a map of the layout of the holes, especially because I did not see any teesigns or posts or anything directing people through the course. As a traveller it might be hard to find the first tee, and the second tee is hidden behind some trees (and when I played it had also been plowed under with snow from the road). Fortunately, I had some previous tracks to follow.

3) The layout didn't use some of the best property into the design. Not sure if some of this was by direction of the city to leave the wooded areas alone, or if the designer just bypassed those areas. Since the entire course is virtually open park space with some spotty trees, some variety would have been nice.

4) #4 is one of the best 2 holes on the course in terms of challenge. It is fairly long and narrow (with the road) creeping into play ont he left. It will take a good straight shot with no skip to keep it straight at the basket. Plus if you get near the basket you have to worry about a gentle kiss off the basket or a tree that shoots you down the massive gulley on the right of the basket. A lefty drive will also risk going down the hill. There also is one side (left from the tee) that is virtually blocked by a half dozen branches from the boxelder and other trees that hang right over the basket. If you are 10' away from the basket you would think it is a guaranteed birdie, just don't throw over on the left side!

5) Sign would be helpful directing you to the next hole. #1 o #2 tee, #4 to #5 tee, and a sign that clearly stated where #8 basket was. I accidentally threw at the 9th basket because it was closer to the tee than the real 8th basket. I figured the 9th tee was just off to the side ad when I got up there I realized I had just thrown to the 9th basket instead of the 8th (further up and to the left in the corner of the property).

6) A few of the baskets (or more specifically the # plate) was facing the wrong direction. This can lead to some flow confusion when looking for the next tee and also the 8th/9th basket confuion I experienced. I know this will only be a problem once for each individual, but if you get behind people that dont know where they are going it can create a mess for everyone on the course at that time!
Other Thoughts: All in all this course is just plain. Nothing too exciting, nothing too challenging, just a nicely maintained open feel park with a selection of trees. The trees that are incorporated intot he holes do provide some obstacles and shot selection needs to be decided, but all in all there just isn't enough challenge here for me to love this course, especially considering that some of the best land for disc golf wasn't even used (for whatever reason).

For my Milwaukee readers, I would compare this course to Dineen (but much shorter). It is mostly open, some spotty trees, but just not a lot of challenge. No real hole stands out as a great hole (except maybe 5 because it is the most protected basket). 4 isn't bad because of the location of the basket but there are other issues with #4 as mentioned above.

This is just simply an average course. It has some of the amenities I come to appreciate like the teepads and nice baskets. It seems to be well manicured and taken care of and it even has a soda machine for your beverage of choice. The course doesn't present enough challenge, but it still could be a good course to bring new people. In general it flows pretty well (although signs for first timers would be nice for direction to the next tee. No teesigns or posts marking the next tee. I can't say anymore, it is just an average course.

WARNING: Please keep in mind I played this in winter. If anything I have stated is incorrect depending on season please let me know I can edit the review. I think I was accurate in my assumptions in a few places. I also cannot see the turf in the park or erosion/compaction issues because it is under 6 inches of snow, so if there are maintenance issues that I didnt comment on pleas emakeme aware of them so I can edit the review.