Muldraugh, KY
Muldraugh DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #15 (Taken 10/2009)

Noob Review

1    5/22/2012   5/23/2012
Review By: Redleg
Pros: I know it has been said in almost every other review but #1 Mando Tunnel shot might be worth the whole trip. The rest of the course is good too! It has all the things you look for, good pole holes, and good tee signs (important since it is hard to see many of the pole holes from the tee pads). It has good use of natural features and a couple of manmade features (Tunnel on #1 and Mound on #18). There are lots of elevation changes hole to hole, and even though many of the holes are around the same length the changes have you doing different throws because of those changes. It has many good risk reward opportunities and good flow from hole to hole. Since I played in May the trees and undergrowth is full making it a beautiful walk also, which you don't get from the pictures uploaded here. If you were playing leagues or a tourney here the benches at almost every hole would be used a lot when a card is off looking for an errant throw which will be punished. The course was very clean which is surprising considering you don't have to go far from the course to find not so clean!
Cons: As others have stated you might not want to bring a beginner here. But if they have been playing any at all, the beauty of the forest will overshadow that. The way I counted it there were 3 straight on shots and 3 left to right shots, the rest played to a RHBH player (ok by me I am a RHBH player) so it could be a little repetitive. There were no facilities on sight, not a huge problem for pointers just find a big tree, but for the sitters could be an issue. If you throw like me shank one off into the woods be prepared to search unless you have a spotter with you (My wife was mine, Thank you Dear). The only other con I see is only one set of Pin and Tee Locations. This course could accommodate one or both and would give a whole new feel to the course. Parking looks like it would be tight during events.
Other Thoughts: There is obviously some very loyal players invested in maintaining this course. The community it is in does not look to have the resourses to maintain it at this level. If you like tight wooded corridors to throw down this is your course. On a open course it is easy to think a nice long drive a little off the line to a hole might be a good shot. This course shows you what a good shot feels like, cause if you don't make it you are most likely getting yourself out of trouble.

This was a really fun course for me.I am looking for an excuse to get sent back to Ft Knox just so I can play it again. If you are in the area it is a must play.

Manic Muldraugh

1    1/24/2012   1/26/2012
Pros: 1) What a wonderful way to start out this course but with a tunnel shot . . . literally! I was clean through the tunnel and within 20' but I had a weird stance and a tree forcing a slight anny putt and I missed, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the hole.

2) Nice concrete tees on this course. They are grippy consistent. I always appreciate a consistent surface and concrete is my favorite.

3) Engraved stump cutoffs attached to some trees mark the tees, they are hard to see unless you know to look for them. The numbers stand out because they are engraved and painted. Some of them are broken unfortunately, but replacement would be pretty easy and cheap.

4) This type of course is my absolute favorite type of course . . . tight wooded and relatively short. You can reach many of these holes with a good drive or a lucky kick on a bad shot.

5) The washouts and the drainageways create some interesting shots and perspectives.

6) There is pretty good variety of shot here. There are uphills, downhills, some straight shots, and some definite hyzer shots. The only thing missing is a couple more anny or flick shots (mentioned in the cons), but overall the elevation changes makes each shot fairly unique. Your recovery shots might simply be the annys you need to throw

7) Risk reward is somewhat of a factor here but simple line execution is more the premium. Sure you can choose to throw a putter or a mid-range down the fairway and not risk a big kick off a tree, or you can try to shoot the gap all the way down with a driver.

8) DGA Mach baskets in decent condition . . .except some of the S-hooks having some rust on them.

9) Hole #18 has one of the coolest greens on the course. There is an old stairway which looks like a diving board ladder laid on the edge of the green to get up and down to your disc 12' below the basket. I unfortunately landed here and missed the 20' putt that was 12' vertical and 8' sideways.

10) Benches available in a few spots to take a rest from all of the up and downs.

11) Nice tee signs with all the information, Hole #, Par, distance, and a decent map of the hole.

12) The leaves actually created a wonderful cover for what I can only assume is pure dirt/soil. I imagine it would be tough for a few weeks after the leaves all fall down because I can imagine they would be pretty deep, but even off the fairway the leaves were matted down enough that you wouldn't have to worry much about a disc going under the loose leaves.

13) The course seems like it is the only thing in this park so there should be no worries about any other park users interfering with your round.
Cons: 1) This course is not beginner friendly because of all of the chances to shoot off the fairway with a shot that isn't near perfect. Beginners will get frustrated and not enjoy this course.

2) I agree with what others say about the dominance of the right to left shots is true, but there are some shots that allow for you to pick your throw. Swap out a few of the right to lefts and make them left to right and this would be perfectly balanced.

3) Some slightly eroded areas on this course. I can see how it happens as this seems to be one of the lower spots in the area, you can actually see major drains entering this area from under the highway that borders the course.

4) Overall there is a little bit of a feel of repetetiveness . . .its hard to really dislike this because the repetetiveness is still fun shot making.
Other Thoughts: This is just a really solid course. You know I love tight wooded courses so this is my kind of course. Did I enjoy it like many of the 4 disc course I have reviewed . . . yes, but I cannot give it a 4 disc rating because of the lack of variety, the erosion and slightly messy areas on the course, and the dominance of the right to left drives. There is plenty of woods here and it could easily accommodate some remodeling of holes, if only just offering two lanes on some of the holes one hyzer and the other anhyzer. I had a ton of fun and I remember Hole #1 from my research last year and was mad I had to miss this course because of that hole. I would play here all the time if I lived nearby and it will remain a solid course in my books, but it just isn't quite top tier like the other 4 and 4.5 disc courses I have played.

Mud Season

1    9/24/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: frank11b
Pros: Challenging for a short course. Fairways are thin and easy to follow. Good flow. 18 is on an island, very cool.
Cons: The creeks should be O.B. Ugly parking lot.
Other Thoughts: First time to play this course. Fun and a little muddy.

Fun wooded course

1    4/16/2011   4/28/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through tight woods with limited underbrush, though it looked like the rough probably gets thicker later in the year. A couple holes bring some deep creek beds into play which make for really tough recovery shots if you end up down in them. There is a nice mix of hole lengths, no bombers but a good variety from ace runs to some that many players will want to pull out a driver on. The elevation is used well on most holes to add some fun and some challenges.

The first and last holes are the most memorable, though the rest of the course is solid. The opening shot is under the road with a mandatory through an underpass. It's an aceable hole, but you could easily end up hitting the side of the mando and having to throw a tricky upshot to save par. The last hole has the basket on a steep mound, it's another aceable hole that can get you in trouble if you go long or run at a putt. The signage is decent, with hole layouts and distances, and the flow is good with no navigation issues.
Cons: The course is a little heavy on RHBH hyzers, with such nice woods the hole shapes could have been a little more creative, especially with generally short holes adding to the repetitive feeling. There is a lot of poison ivy right next to the fairways, not an easy thing to remove but it could get pretty bad if you're allergic. There are some erosion issues on the hills, a wet day would get pretty slick.
Other Thoughts: Beginners might find the course pretty punishing and tight, though it's not too long. More experienced players will need a solid short game to score well, there's not a lot of distance but inaccurate shots are definitely punished here. We had a really good time playing here, it's a fun technical place to play and the first and last holes are fun and creative without feeling gimmicky.

Unique is an understatement!

1    8/9/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: Where to start. I love wooded courses, so this was a must play from the start, and I live 2 hours away. You start out by shooting underneath the road through a tunnel! Such an awesome way to drop you in on a course! In my 12 years of playing disc golf, this is hands down the most scenic, unique and gorgeous course ever. Wow does it challenge you! Technical from the start, and it never lets up. It ends just as strong as it started with the basket placed on a crazy peninsula 30 or so feet up with drop offs on all sides! For such a remote course run and maintained by locals, it is truly a gem and a MUST play.
Cons: Other than favoring RHBH throwers, I can't think of much. This course was designed to be technical, and boy is it ever. Stay in the fairways as much as you possibly can because most of the rough is extremely unforgiving. Being remote, it was kinda difficult to locate.
Other Thoughts: We got lost driving to it, but we talked to the owner of RTS Liquors in Bradenburg KY, and inside his store he has 300 plus discs for sale! Very informative and friendly guy, if you have the time to talk disc golf, talk to him, he knows his stuff! I think we were meant to get lost, just so we could find out just how cool the locals are here!

A great cup of tee...

2-4    6/24/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Seating at most every hole. A very unique opening hole (Through a tunnel under a road!). All holes are birdiable (Is that a word?). A nice array of BH, FH, Tommy, & Thumber opportunities.
Cons: For those who like 'pristine' courses, this is not for you. For those who love technical courses it is. No open fairways for grip 'n' rip shots. LOTS of restrooms (they're called big trees!).
Other Thoughts: For a guy like me who enjoys a good hike in the woods, this is a very cool course that is 100% kept up by the locals. Even though it seems like you are miles away from civilization, the truth is you are only a mile away from food/gas et al. I'm giving this course a 4 rather than a 3.5 simply because these good folk simply don't have the financial wherewithal that state or munincipal parks have; so you have to cut em' some slack. It's a very fun/fair course; and if you throw clean, you should have a birdie attempt on just about every hole!

This course has grown up!

1    5/22/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Let me start by giving a little history. When I started playing DG 5-6 years ago, this was the 2nd course I ever set foot on. It was horrible. No teepads. No signs. It was like a hiking trail through the woods with a basket here and there. We played about 4 holes and then turned around and left.

So last weekend I finally gave it another chance. Wow! This course has really grown up. It's like an actual DG course now, and a decent one at that!

Good concrete teepads. Good signs. Good baskets. Garbage bags/cans. Many benches (that were greatly appreciated because this course AIN'T flat!)
Cons: The aforementioned ravines/trenches/canyons are literally dangerous in places. I threw one drive on the back 9 just a tad right...got a horrible ricochet off a tree into the ravine...and then had to go Bear Grylls mode just to get the thing back. You could quite possibly hurt yourself here.

I saw a lot of poison ivy on the course, and this would honestly be the single biggest deterrant to me playing it again....but 6 days later I haven't broken out, so *knock on wood*...

The only other negative I'd have with the course is purely a matter of preference. This type of course (heavily wooded, very technical) is not really my cup of tea. My rating of 3.0 reflects this. If you dig this type of course, then I could very well see ratings of 3.5 or 4.0 being totally valid.
Other Thoughts: I have really got to hand it to the folks who have brought this course along. From where it was to where it is now...that's just a huge leap, and I really have a lot of respect for those who have given this course the type of TLC that many courses don't receive. I'll play this course again whenever I'm ready for a changeup from my regular spots.

One of a kind

5+    10/17/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I had been to muldraugh before and after it had gone and come back. From the first time I have played this course I have loved it. A lot of the locals seem to think its hyzer city, I for one am not on the bandwagon. It is only "Hyzer City" if you hit every gap on the course. If you miss your line there is a good chance you will hit a tree making a difficult upshot to save par. I love for one how this course is the pride and joy of the locals, I understand what it takes to maintain and work so hard for a course. My hats off to them. Now my review of the course.

Hole 1 - What else is there to say, you get too shoot under the road, how cool is that? Very.
Hole 2 - You shoot over a creek, heck I'd even call it a ravine. I love this shot!
Hole 18 - It is on a mound that you shoot too, its not very long to say the least but if you dont land it on the mound there is a good chance it is rollng to the bottom. Can we say 3 putt??
Cons: The only con I have on this course is the stray stumps.. every time I go there I seem to stub my toe on a stump that had been cut about 2 inches from the ground. Or maybe it just grew 2 inches from the last time it was cut. Maybe I should be a little more cautious.
Other Thoughts: Maintained by the locals, does it get better than that! NO! Hats off again to these guys, it takes a community too keep disc golf going. Glad to see it is back in the ground, it is truly a must see/play type of course. If hole 1 doesn't draw you into playing it then I don't know what to say.

Technical and near Ft. Knox

2-4    10/10/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: discgolphinmafaukner
This review was updated on 10/31/2009
Pros: Muldraugh is a heavily wooded disc golf course near Ft. Knox that sits in a big sink hole. The course offers a variety of shots: anhyzers, hyzers, up-hill, down-hill, and many of the combinations. Most of the tees have some kind of bench be it an actual bench, tree stumps, or in the case of one hole, a back seat from a van. Most of the holes have a garbage can nearby. The course makes one big loop through the sink hole. This course gets better each time I play it. Hole 1 has a mando through a tunnel which is a real treat! Shot placement is key and errant shots are usually punished. This course will give you a workout and test your accuracy on each hole! Tee signs with distance are now in place which bumps this course to a 4 for me.
Cons: The course makes one big loop and does not offer a chance to get back to the parking area at all.
Other Thoughts: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. We noticed several helicopters flying over head which reminds you that Ft. Knox sits nearby. The setting inside a sinkhole makes this course so unique. This is a great course to play!

5+    10/3/2011   9/24/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 10/7/2011
Pros: Muldraugh is an interesting and unique course that starts out the first hole by throwing through a tunnel UNDER the road! In addition this most unique feature, the course also has valleys to play across and ridges with baskets perched on top of them.

The course is completely wooded with lots of narrow fairways and elevation changes on nearly every hole.

This is a shorter course but I was surprised to see it has 5 holes in the 300 - 350ft range, but a few of those are downhill shots. The rest of the holes are fairly short so hitting your line means you've got a good chance at a birdie. Missing your line or hitting an early tree will make it challenging to get your 3.
Cons: The course does have three great turnover shots for RHBH players, but the rest of the course seems like all hyzer shots.

The rough used to be very bad here but the locals have done a great job cleaning it up. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I'm sure the hills on this course will be very tough to climb when the course is wet, but that's a pretty standard problem anywhere.

Because this course is in the woods, be prepared for poison ivy and bugs.
Other Thoughts: This course demands accuracy so a beginner can easily get torn up and leave frustrated. More experienced players will enjoy the tight fairways and have a chance at some very low scores.

With the exception of a nature path (which is rarely used), this park is exclusively disc golf. Playing here is truly like taking a walk in the woods.