Muldraugh, KY
Muldraugh DGC Share
Uploaded By: tamahawk Hole #15 (Taken 10/2009)

A great cup of tee...

2-4    6/24/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Seating at most every hole. A very unique opening hole (Through a tunnel under a road!). All holes are birdiable (Is that a word?). A nice array of BH, FH, Tommy, & Thumber opportunities.
Cons: For those who like 'pristine' courses, this is not for you. For those who love technical courses it is. No open fairways for grip 'n' rip shots. LOTS of restrooms (they're called big trees!).
Other Thoughts: For a guy like me who enjoys a good hike in the woods, this is a very cool course that is 100% kept up by the locals. Even though it seems like you are miles away from civilization, the truth is you are only a mile away from food/gas et al. I'm giving this course a 4 rather than a 3.5 simply because these good folk simply don't have the financial wherewithal that state or munincipal parks have; so you have to cut em' some slack. It's a very fun/fair course; and if you throw clean, you should have a birdie attempt on just about every hole!

This course has grown up!

1    5/22/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Let me start by giving a little history. When I started playing DG 5-6 years ago, this was the 2nd course I ever set foot on. It was horrible. No teepads. No signs. It was like a hiking trail through the woods with a basket here and there. We played about 4 holes and then turned around and left.

So last weekend I finally gave it another chance. Wow! This course has really grown up. It's like an actual DG course now, and a decent one at that!

Good concrete teepads. Good signs. Good baskets. Garbage bags/cans. Many benches (that were greatly appreciated because this course AIN'T flat!)
Cons: The aforementioned ravines/trenches/canyons are literally dangerous in places. I threw one drive on the back 9 just a tad right...got a horrible ricochet off a tree into the ravine...and then had to go Bear Grylls mode just to get the thing back. You could quite possibly hurt yourself here.

I saw a lot of poison ivy on the course, and this would honestly be the single biggest deterrant to me playing it again....but 6 days later I haven't broken out, so *knock on wood*...

The only other negative I'd have with the course is purely a matter of preference. This type of course (heavily wooded, very technical) is not really my cup of tea. My rating of 3.0 reflects this. If you dig this type of course, then I could very well see ratings of 3.5 or 4.0 being totally valid.
Other Thoughts: I have really got to hand it to the folks who have brought this course along. From where it was to where it is now...that's just a huge leap, and I really have a lot of respect for those who have given this course the type of TLC that many courses don't receive. I'll play this course again whenever I'm ready for a changeup from my regular spots.

One of a kind

5+    10/17/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: skottyb
Pros: I had been to muldraugh before and after it had gone and come back. From the first time I have played this course I have loved it. A lot of the locals seem to think its hyzer city, I for one am not on the bandwagon. It is only "Hyzer City" if you hit every gap on the course. If you miss your line there is a good chance you will hit a tree making a difficult upshot to save par. I love for one how this course is the pride and joy of the locals, I understand what it takes to maintain and work so hard for a course. My hats off to them. Now my review of the course.

Hole 1 - What else is there to say, you get too shoot under the road, how cool is that? Very.
Hole 2 - You shoot over a creek, heck I'd even call it a ravine. I love this shot!
Hole 18 - It is on a mound that you shoot too, its not very long to say the least but if you dont land it on the mound there is a good chance it is rollng to the bottom. Can we say 3 putt??
Cons: The only con I have on this course is the stray stumps.. every time I go there I seem to stub my toe on a stump that had been cut about 2 inches from the ground. Or maybe it just grew 2 inches from the last time it was cut. Maybe I should be a little more cautious.
Other Thoughts: Maintained by the locals, does it get better than that! NO! Hats off again to these guys, it takes a community too keep disc golf going. Glad to see it is back in the ground, it is truly a must see/play type of course. If hole 1 doesn't draw you into playing it then I don't know what to say.

Technical and near Ft. Knox

2-4    10/10/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: discgolphinmafaukner
This review was updated on 10/31/2009
Pros: Muldraugh is a heavily wooded disc golf course near Ft. Knox that sits in a big sink hole. The course offers a variety of shots: anhyzers, hyzers, up-hill, down-hill, and many of the combinations. Most of the tees have some kind of bench be it an actual bench, tree stumps, or in the case of one hole, a back seat from a van. Most of the holes have a garbage can nearby. The course makes one big loop through the sink hole. This course gets better each time I play it. Hole 1 has a mando through a tunnel which is a real treat! Shot placement is key and errant shots are usually punished. This course will give you a workout and test your accuracy on each hole! Tee signs with distance are now in place which bumps this course to a 4 for me.
Cons: The course makes one big loop and does not offer a chance to get back to the parking area at all.
Other Thoughts: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. We noticed several helicopters flying over head which reminds you that Ft. Knox sits nearby. The setting inside a sinkhole makes this course so unique. This is a great course to play!

5+    10/3/2011   9/24/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 10/7/2011
Pros: Muldraugh is an interesting and unique course that starts out the first hole by throwing through a tunnel UNDER the road! In addition this most unique feature, the course also has valleys to play across and ridges with baskets perched on top of them.

The course is completely wooded with lots of narrow fairways and elevation changes on nearly every hole.

This is a shorter course but I was surprised to see it has 5 holes in the 300 - 350ft range, but a few of those are downhill shots. The rest of the holes are fairly short so hitting your line means you've got a good chance at a birdie. Missing your line or hitting an early tree will make it challenging to get your 3.
Cons: The course does have three great turnover shots for RHBH players, but the rest of the course seems like all hyzer shots.

The rough used to be very bad here but the locals have done a great job cleaning it up. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I'm sure the hills on this course will be very tough to climb when the course is wet, but that's a pretty standard problem anywhere.

Because this course is in the woods, be prepared for poison ivy and bugs.
Other Thoughts: This course demands accuracy so a beginner can easily get torn up and leave frustrated. More experienced players will enjoy the tight fairways and have a chance at some very low scores.

With the exception of a nature path (which is rarely used), this park is exclusively disc golf. Playing here is truly like taking a walk in the woods.

2-4    8/14/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: tamahawk
This review was updated on 8/10/2010
Pros: Muldraugh is the Louisville area technical course. The course offers a great and challenging layout through dense woods. Muldraugh is relatively short and will give up some low scores, but don't be deceived by the distance, the fairways and pins are well guarded by mature trees and require the player to navigate some tight gaps and narrow fairways to reach the hole. Miss the fairway on this course, and you will find yourself having to use some creative shot making to save par.

Course Essentials:
The course uses mostly DGA baskets, there are a couple of older baskets (model unknown) that are a little rough and worn, but all other baskets are in great shape. Concrete tees on all holes, a little short, but more than adequate for the course length. New tee signs located at each hole that define hole layout, distance, mando's, and location of the next tee.

General Course Design:
Muldraugh makes one big loop start to finish, Hole 9 does not return back to the parking area. The course flows well from hole to hole with tee markers visible from each basket, so the course is very easy to navigate . The fairways are clearly visible and well-defined. The rough is thick and full of dense foliage and lots of things to watch out for (poison ivy, mosquitos, ticks, spiders, etc.-repellant advised). Moderate elevations are present throughout the course, and utilized effectively to present a variety of uphill, downhill and sidehill lies.

The course has a lot of right to left shots which seems to cater more toward the RHBH player who would definitely have an advantage on this course. There are nine holes with defined hyzer routes, three holes with defined anhyzer routes, and the remaining six holes are relatively straight (relative to RHBH).

Muldraugh has a very technical course layout, there are no wide open holes, period. This course will challenge even the veteran players to hit some of the tight gaps and narrow fairways present throughout the course. This course is all about precision and control, not length. An accurate, well-placed tee shot will leave you with a good look at a duece, but miss the lines, and you may find yourself struggling for par.
Cons: A couple things to mention: Most pins are visible from the box, but several holes have pins that are hidden making it difficult to know where to throw. If you are playing for the first time, you will most likely be walking several of the fairways to scout out the pin position before throwing your tee shot.

The foliage is a factor, miss the fairways and you are in the thick rough searching for your disc. I will not derate the course because of this, only mention it so you can be prepared and bring repellants! I don't consider this a maintenance issue, it's the rough, it isn't suppose to be easy to get out of, but be prepared for it.

There are several large trenches that are a factor, mostly holes 2 and 7. If you throw into one of these you are looking at climbing down steep banks into a ravine full of dead trees/limbs, mud and thick vegatation.

10/30/09 Update:
There are leaves on the ground everywhere, and they tend to be very slick. Use caution when trying to navigate the course, the slopes and leaves are a bad combination.
Other Thoughts: Muldraugh has a great layout that is very challenging for any skill level, but fair, and a lot of fun to play. New players with limited experience will find this course extremely difficult and very unforgiving. I played the front 9 as a new player (2 months experience), and that was all I wanted of the course. Now that I have been playing for almost 3yrs, I can better appreciate the challenge and beauty that is offered with this course. Another review mentioned that Muldraugh is a longer version of Otter Creek, which was exactly what I was thinking as I played through the course. Definitely longer and more challenging than Otter Creek, but very similar in style. A really great course that is going on my favorites list!

UPDATE (10/30/09):
Most all of the excess debris from the ice storms has been cleared and tee signs have been installed. The course is in fantastic shape, probably the best shape it's ever been!!!

Technical Wooded Fun!

1    8/14/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Solid, great, concrete tee pads. Each tee clearly numbered with a cool carved tree trunk section. Baskets all present and in great shape (mostly mach, couple of oddballs in there). Fairways are clear and well defined. Some holes have stairs/ladders to help up slippery slopes. Very challenging, tight and technical, just how I llike it.

My memorable holes:
1 - Mando through a culvert UNDER the road. Way cool, and I almost aced it! doinked off the front of the basket
4 - Throwing down a big hill, narrow fairway, loooonnggg anhyzer shot, very tough to hit.
7 - Lost my disc down a monster ditch, tough hazard halfway down a tight anhyzer line.
12 - Over a ravine, have to fly left then back right, and avoid a dozen trees to have a shot a par. Basket up the hill on the left, probably the longest hole on the course.
13 - My nemesis. Deceptively simple tight-alley hyzer. Kicked my but with a 6.
18 - Clear a low ditch, basket mounted on a ridge, and a dropoff waits behind the basket for a long drive (like mine). Very difficult to deuce without a lucky drive.
Cons: Number one complaint is if you get off the fairway you better have had someone watching for you on most holes. The rough is very dense in most areas. There is also a HUGE drainage ditch on 7, which is also a hazard and very likely place your disc can land, as mine did. Had to hike down the hill to where it wasn't 30 feet deep, then follow it back up.
Another complaint is NO maps available. Luckily it is easy to find the next tee from each basket, and none are very far from the previous. You will need to walk most holes to have an accurate drive though.
There are also no facilities to speak of, other than a parking lot, garbage cans, and several benches (one is a van bench seat).
A little monotonous in that several holes are variations of a long slow hyzer (RHBH). Also, I'd be surprised if any of the holes were over 350 feet.
Other Thoughts: Overall I loved this course. It is a little rough around the edges, but it is layed out very well, and will challenge even experienced players. I wish that it had one or two holes you could rip it on, but I won't complain since it has awesome risk/reward factor.
Also, if I go again soon, I'm going to try to get pictures, as I think this is a grossly under-appreciated and unknown course.
If you have the time, it is well worth a trip to muldraugh, but bring your bug spray!

Not for Beginners

1    7/8/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: benbobbins
Pros: This course is a nice hike through the typical wooded hills of this area of Kentucky. All of the tees are marked clearly and can be easily spotted from the previous basket. There are lots of elevation changes, and the vast majority of the holes are hyzers, which works well for a RHBH like me. The first hole and the eighteenth are the most memorable and great challenges, as the first one sends you through a tunnel under the road and the eighteenth poses a severe drop off after the pin. The terrain allows for good exercise while staying completely shaded the entire time.
Cons: From a beginner's perspective, much of this course was either too challenging or too unforgiving. Most notably is the dense undergrowth and brush that lined every hole. As someone who is still making plenty of mistakes, many of my shots meant that I would be negotiating some thick brush and limbs just to get my disc back. In many places, the rough was so bad that only the walking path to the pin was clear, so you had to aim for a 1'-5' "fairway" to avoid climbing back in the brush.
The tees weren't always the same size, one of them being only three or four feet long. Some of them had a sharp drop off the front due to the terrain, which affected how I threw from the tee. While all of the tees were clearly marked and easy to find, none of them had any information about distance, setup of the hole, or par. Some of the tees had benches that were once in good condition, but have since weathered. One of these benches was a back seat from some sort of minivan.
All of the holes were designed to be tightly integrated with the forest and landscape, so none of the holes were long drive scenarios (at least for me). Each throw needed to be carefully placed to avoid hazards, and there was no time to just let it rip. Two of the baskets were missing (14 and 17), but apparently this is being addressed.
Other Thoughts: The thick undergrowth was what is most discouraging about this course to a beginner like me. Maybe when I'm more seasoned, I would enjoy it more, but at the moment I need courses that I can make mistakes on. The level of encroaching and unkempt forest around and onto the fairways made it a less enjoyable 18 than I would like. My Innova Shark was swallowed by two enormous gullies, both of which were very muddy and difficult to climb in and out of. That, of course, has less to do with the design of the course and more to do with my abilities, but golfers should be aware that a bad throw (like mine) can get you thinking about leaving your disc behind. I doubt I will return until I am a) a better disc golfer, and b) the course is improved.

Tough But Unique Course

4/7/2008   4/7/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
Pros: Unique holes and shots that you probably won't see anywhere else. For example, the first hole goes through a tunnel under the road and hole 18 is set up on a little plateau with steep slopes on both sides of the basket. Lots of elevation and beautiful sights.
Cons: Beginners will be frustrated. This is a very challenging course with very tight fairways and thick rough. The whole course is in THICK woods and can feel like you are playing in a rain forest at times. Bugs and poison ivy can be a problem.

3/7/2008   3/7/2008
Review By: Russell Gore
Pros: The only place in the world where your first shot of the day is underneath the road. Reallt challenging course with thick woods. Lots of elevation changes, deep creeks and ravines.
Cons: Dont throw in the creeks, extreamly hard to get in and out of.
Other Thoughts: Dont particularly like the course but I seem to shoot better scores here than anywhere else.