Jackson, TN
Muse Park Share
Uploaded By: C.. Lohmann Frolf   (Taken 11/2013)
Practice Basket

1 2 Next >

1    4/24/2009   4/24/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: I liked this course because it has multiple tee pads and each one gives you a different look. It's not like there is one farther back just to make it a harder three. Matter of fact, on the back nine, two or three of the Pro pads are closer significantly, but the overall line is harder. I wasn't expecting that, and it was a nice surprise. Almost every hole is in the woods, but the fairways are, for the most part, wide and forgiving. Not to say easy - the layout was used well and there are some pretty hard shots on this course. The only wide open just throw in a field hole is #9. My favorite hole was probably 15 - "Two Roads" it's called. It has two routes and each one makes it a totally different hole. I think this is one of the ones that the pro pad was closer than the am pad, but I can't swear to it. Just a really neat hole, and like most of the holes on this course, fun to play.
Cons: Here is the problem: The tee pads SUCK! They are short and instead of making them horizontally flat, they made them match the lay of the land. Some of them are on hillsides and they actually point down! I would not recommend playing this course any time after a rain. It's too bad too, because other than that, this course was really fun. I would have given it at least a 3.5, maybe a 4. Someone has thrown down some wood chips at the back of the pads, though, so you can start there. I have a smallish run up and I ran out of room every time!
Other Thoughts: A great little course! I really enjoyed it and if you're in the area, stop and play it.

Fun little course

1    4/6/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: This is a fun little course that has 2 teepads on every hole and multiple pin location for most as well. There are nice signs that seem to be fairly accurate. The course is almost all in the woods with only a couple holes that are mostly open. There are some longish holes but still not very long and most of the holes are under 300ft. The 2 teepads are setup so that the course almost plays like to differet courses which is very nice. There quite a bit of elevation change and the course is very well kept. There were several memerable holes such as #2, the goal post hole, and the short pitch over the rivine hole. This is a great course to go work on some midrange driving and you accuracy with mids in the woods. There are also lots of ace chances. The woods are farily thick but the fairways are well defined and very fair.
Cons: This is almost strictly a pitch and put course. It is pretty darn short and not many holes require long throws. My main complaint about this course is the teepads. They are very short and do not allow for much of a run up at all. I was not comfortable throwing off of them at all and this definately cost me a stroke or two.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course if you can overlook the small pads. It is well laid out and has some good holes. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you are in the area. It is not real hard, but still fun to play.

Good Course...but only "good"

1    3/24/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This course had multiple tees on many holes. Tee pads and baskets were in good condition. Fairways were well defined. Not sure how old the course is but it seemed as though it was very mature. Excellent use of elevation. There was not a lot of flat area on the course which added to the challenge. The course required a variety of shot shapes to score well. The "schule" is very minimal so losing a disc would tend to be rare on this course.
Cons: It was really short, with only 1 hole that I can remember in excess of 300 feet and that hole was essentially wide open and rather plain. I wouldn't consider this a "tight" course either as the fairways were rather wide. There really was no challenge here.
Other Thoughts: Muse Park is a nice course. It makes a great stop on the journey from Nashville to Memphis. I would almost classify it as "a poor-man's Richmond Hill". The pine needle-strewn fairways and hills gave the ambience of Richmond Hill. This course, however, is extremely short and not nearly as challenging. It was a nice place to play. I don't feel that it is on the level that others have placed it.

I did not let the following factor into my review, but I think it bears mentioning. I had to make a Bathroom stop at the park during my round. It happens. I really don't expect much from park restrooms as a rule of thumb. After "assuming the position" I began to sweat profusely..and then I realized that it felt like about 125 degrees in there. There is no ventilation of anykind in this bathroom. The day was a 70 degree day with gentle breezes, but not in the bathroom. I would dare say that on a hot day, the bathroom temp could reach 130. Add the swirling of smells that cannot be released and....it's just plain bad.

Again, I thought this was a nice course and rated it as a good course. I believe it is above average, but only slightly above average. That assessment comes from the excellent groundskeeping and course maintenance and overall lack of challenge. If this course were located in a larger city, a city with multiple course options, I don't think it would have the rave reviews it has been given. But it is the best place to play in Jackson, TN and is definitely worth the stop if you are passing through.

Possibly the best I've ever played

1    11/24/2006   3/3/2009
Review By: m1ke
Pros: Not sure I have much to add beyond what other reviewers have said, but I can reiterate:
-Outstanding variety among holes; each one has something interesting to offer.
-Truly excellent use of terrain with plenty of elevation change.
-Very clear signage; we had zero problems finding our way from hole-to-hole.
-Easy parking.
-Makes me actually _want_ to go visit my in-laws since I don't live in TN.*
Cons: I'm kind of reaching here- no course is perfect, is it? Umm...
-I guess, as has been noted, if you don't like technical courses so much and prefer big throws, this wouldn't be as much fun for you to play regularly. But I'd still check it out- this course is so good you'll enjoy it at least once.
-We played in fall and had some trouble finding discs under thick layer of leaves. (Of course, we were having too much fun overall to really mind.)
Other Thoughts: I've been hesitant to review this course for a while because I didn't think I had much to add beyond the posititve things other reviewers have said. However, 5 reviews really isn't that many, and this course is very worthy of getting more attention. I really can't recommend this course highly enough- of all the courses I've loved and put in my Favorites, this is the only one where I had to genuinely think to come up with something to put under Cons.

*(In truth, my in-laws are great. But hopefully I gave a few of you a chuckle.)

Awesome Course!

5+    8/15/2008   8/18/2008
Review By: whjcs23
Pros: I love this course. It is my home course, so I may have a bit of a bias. The best thing about Muse is that it is never boring! I've been playing this course for years and still love it. I have played several courses in TN and none really compare to it. No hole mimmics another. It is short, but there are enough obstacles that a huge throw isn't going to give you a birdie on every hole. For those big throwers there are several holes that will allow you to stand out (#9 and #17, for example). Additionally, several tees have been moved back since the inception of the couse, so the tee signs no longer have the correct distances. It is well manicured. And to respond to a previous post, the course is very safe. The only problems at this park occur at night when no one is really present. Play Muse with no reservations about you safety!
Additionally, there is a tournament on the first sunday of every month. It always begins at 1:30. It's a partner scramble ... very laid back, but still very competative. Partners are usually chosen at random before we start. We try and match up partners so that every team has an equal chance to win. The entry is 5 dollars. The top three teams get prizes (gift certificates, discs, t-shirts). Come out and play!
check out:
www.jacksonareadiscgolf.com
Cons: I can't really think of any. It's definately not a "grip it and rip it" course. So, if you are a one-deminsional launcher, be wary (you would probably still love the course though).
Other Thoughts: I recommend coming to play here. Even if you are just driving down I-40 going to Memphis or Nashville. If you play disc golf, it would be worth your while to take a pit stop at Muse!

A short, shady, hilly, fun course!

8/8/2008   8/8/2008
Pros: We played the shorter green tees. There was only one hole over 300' with the shortest being 130'. So it's just a little longer than a pitch and putt. But with the hills and trees, it makes for a nice challenging throw. The tee pads were fine and this was probably the most clearly marked course that I have ever played. There are two sets of teepads (green and the slighly longer reds). Both were more than clearly marked. There are a few slightly confusing walks between holes but because it's so well signed, it's easy to follow. I saw no signs of any vandalism yet or else someone has been replacing missing or disfaced signs. Probably my favorite thing about this course was the fact that I really enjoyed each and every hole. I didn't encounter any boring or throwaway holes. There were lots of over-the-gully type shots, an equal amount of right, lefts and straight shots.The course is predominately in the shade for those warm Tennessee days.
Cons: Big arms types will miss those opportunities for the epic throws. I would have liked to see a couple of the tee pads poured on even ground instead of sloping slightly up or downhill.
Other Thoughts: I'd love to have this for my home course. It's the kind of course I want to go back and throw again and again. Kudos to the course designers, I think you did an awesome job designing Muse Park DGC.

Challenging, Shady, City Course

2-4    3/30/2009   7/1/2008
Review By: Kurt Hodges
This review was updated on 7/5/2009
Pros: Muse Park DGC is a new course that plays like it is more mature. Because it is on a city park, it is well kept and mowed and has good facilities. It has lots of topography and forces you to compensate for elevation differences. I would call it a medium length course, so big arms aren't a huge plus here, but will help on a few holes. I also was impressed by how nice the concrete pads, baskets and signs were. There also are two sets of tee pads (green and red) and they play very differently. Overall, the red course is longer, but it sets up at different angles to give you a fresh look. There are no water hazards on the course, so there is no need to worry about floating disks. The course is pretty well wooded and very shaded (good in summer). You will need a good mid-range and short game as well as a variety of shots if you hope to score well.
Cons: My main complaint about Muse Park DGC is that they city could use to get out the chain saw and open it up a little, but this is a minor complaint, as it is fair, just very challenging. Finally, in the past, Muse Park has had a reputation for being a pretty rough place. So, I would not go alone just to be safe.
Other Thoughts: Muse Park DGC is a great golf course and I would highly recommend playing it, even if you have to drive a little. I have only played 9 different courses in my time, but Muse Park DGC is in my top 2.

Love it

6/7/2006   2/7/2008
Review By: WillA
Other Thoughts: Very nice course. Wooded but if you miss the fairway you usually have a decent shot. Very well kept.

play muse today

12/21/2007   12/21/2007
Review By: flippinpro69
Pros: this is a good course for all skill levels. It is easy to get to and has plenty of parking. Most all the holes are carved thruogh the woods which makes for some challenging holes for a beginer like me but has been a great course for me to learn on. The fairways are clearly posted and the course is very easy to follow.
Cons: This is an old city park so things could always happen but we've never had a problem
Other Thoughts: Me and a buddy can play this couse in about an hour and a half

1 2 Next >