Layout Extinct

North Ft. Myers, FL
N. Ft. Myers Community Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: Roller Coasters Hole #6 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #6 Mid-Fairway

Fort Myers Challenge

5+    10/15/2009   1/2/2010
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: This course is the most challenging course among the 4 courses that Fort Myers has to offer. It offers a challenge for even the best players. It has concrete tees, well marked tee signs and Mach III baskets that are in good shape. There are alternate tee positions on every hole and they get moved frequently. The local club has done a lot of work to get it cleared out and more navigable. You will want to use a spotter on at least 12 of the holes as tight fairways and palmetto fields will claim a drive that strays even a little off course.
Cons: Thick palmetto fields. If you haven't played much in Florida you may not be familiar with palmettos. After playing this course, you will be! Palmettos are a palm type plant that grows on the ground. Think palm tree without the trunk. The problem is that they are razor sharp along all edges. It is recommended to wear long pants when playing this course. You should also be careful when moving them to look for discs. Your hands will come back bloody. I like to take a disc in each hand to root around while searching.
Other Thoughts: This course plays as two totally different courses - Pro Tee Course and Amateur Tee Course. From the amateur tees, this is a good test with lots of danger on nearly every hole, but most danger can be taken out of play with a pretty good tee shot. From the pro tees however, you need to be a very good player to take the danger out of each hole. The danger that I am referring to is thick palmetto fields that have razor sharp edges, thick underbrush, a lake and very narrow to non existent fairways. Unless you are a pro, I would not recommend playing from the long tees by yourself. You need at least one spotter and having three or four players doesn't guarantee that you will be able to find all of your discs. To illustrate my point, at our recent club championship the difference between the pro tees and amateur was between 15 and 20 strokes for most of the amateur players. I don't mean to discourage any players, but just be ready for what you are getting yourself into. There is a league that plays on Saturday mornings around 10:00 a.m. and visitors are always welcome. I like playing this course, but you must be up for the challenge.

Hard yet Pretty good

2-4    12/1/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: Lanomode
This review was updated on 12/6/2009
Pros: Course was easy to figure out AFTER we walked the whole thing backwards. Pro and Am tees are nice, not much sign-age, but once you figure out the layout you can tell where tees and holes are. Right in my backyard so I will play it again, but not the easiest for a beginner such as myself.
Cons: Not very well maintained. Throwing along the dirt road is fine, and the few open areas are fairly well mowed. But the minute you hook to the right or left, you need a machete to find your disc because of the Palmetto's and Very thick underbrush. Have to throw pretty conservatively to avoid losing your disc to a gator, being bitten by a snake while you dig, or just losing your disc in general.
Other Thoughts: Kinda felt like I was gonna bean a homeless person with my next throw, or get mugged by one. Had to pee, picked a spot near a bench on one hole. During the next, a guy rode his bike up to the very bench and made him self comfortable. I think we peed in his living room, "sorry buddy".

NOFO

5+    11/14/2009   11/16/2009
Review By: Nutcheese
Pros: Has pro and am concrete tees w/ a good mix of long and short holes. League changes pin placement every so often. Unlike FGCU, you could still end up paring the holes w/ shanked or not so great drives. By far the best course Sw florida.
Cons: Not much Signage. PALMETTOS! Wildlife. Must have a spotter. Not uncommon to lose a disc in the rainy season.(hole9)
Other Thoughts: Moved out here from Miami in Jan 2009 and was used to playing open courses like Indian Hammocks and Tradewinds. Inicially it was a nightmare. Heavy palmettos and constantly looking for discs. Try not to get frustrated. The course will make you a better player.

Give Blood Play NFM

5+    10/27/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: poolsk8r
This review was updated on 1/31/2012
Pros: My home course, good baskets and concrete pads, Rewards you will good controlled shots course is always being worked on by club gets better every year
Cons: Very wet in the rainy season, Def need a spotter playing the longs, super dense vegetation, an off shot can kill your round here
Other Thoughts: DO NOT WEAR SANDALS HERE!!! If this is your first trip out here wear pants and play the shorts you will be bleeding from razor palms LOL. The vegetation is brutal, but with controlled shots a very playable and fun course. If you are just passing through the area play in the winter the course is dry... in the summer the water hazzards increase 5 fold and without a local this is a losing battle and there is wildlife in that water. New pin placement on 14 and started looking into extending 15 for a third placement for very long par 3 at around 400+. Installing a new pin placement for 9 short. The new 9th hole short pin setting is complete and turned out great..The new pin set is in place for 15 long and the course is mowed and playing very nicely ENJOY!

Wear Pants

5+    7/6/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: emtptony
Pros: Challenging course. It's the best I've played in Fl. I do not like wide open courses and this one definitely isn't wide open. You can easily bring a cooler on wheels full of your favorite beverage
Cons: Palmetto bushes. A spotter is needed on multiple holes. Wear pants you will be in the bushes looking for your discs

Needs to be played more.

1    4/10/2009   5/5/2009
Review By: xfourevertruex
Pros: The best course at the moment in southwest florida. Nicely maintained, nicely designed, etc. Some tight holes, some very open. Great shots are well-rewarded (as it should be). Nice DGA baskets.
Cons: See that note above about tight holes? yeah. Get used to walking around in palmetto brush. It swallows discs! Also...little to know helps from the tee signs. Definitely need to play with a local.
Other Thoughts: If you're an avid disc golfer, this is where you should go. Easy as that.

B- for Brutal

5+    3/2/2006   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C+

Wear socks

1    4/5/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: acousticcarnival
Pros: A few holes fit the basic standards of reasonability for fairway width and number of obstacles
Cons: Too may palmetto bushes. These things are ridiculously dense. Lost a Star Beast in plain sight. Devoured by the palmetto. Many fairways are just too tight to allow for a standard disc flight pattern.
Other Thoughts: Trash/beer cans marred a particular section near the lake.

Coming along

1    1/3/2009   2/17/2009
Review By: HB553
Pros: Great potential, and with the work the local club is doing this will soon be a great course. God varity of layouts of holes, and varing distances. Signs were being replaced and weed eaters were going the day I played.
Cons: Need spotter, and a course map would be nice, as it is hard to find way around.

Palmetto Fields Forever

2-4    1/8/2010   1/8/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Practice basket is located near the shuffleboard courts and behind the 6th tee.

2) Dual concrete tees are positive feature of this course. Its the same as all other SW Florida courses in that the soil is mostly sand and having to throw off sand would be tough especially when using a runup.

3) PVC risers and ribbons hanging from baskets and tree branches are very helpful in locating baskets over the 5' palmettos shrubs.

4) Telephone posts are painted to indicate Pro or Am tees. Pro are painted blue and Am are painted white. A few tees that share one tee are still painted blue but say Pro/Am.

5) Lots of work is required to keep the palmettos at bay. They have done a lot of work clearing around baskets since I played here exactly 1 year ago today and that is the main reason I am rewriting this review.

6) I met the guy who does a lot of the maintenance (Bob is his name) and it sounds like they are doing a lot of work and are given virtually free reign to do what they need to. He was out with his truck, trailer, and chainsaw clearing areas round baskets and creating new basket locations. He also said they may be able to expand this course to 9 holes. Obviously this is a positive to have a guy like Bob, but also a receptive community.

7) Challenge is virtually ever present. There are multiple ways that you can get in toruble. First you can hit a tree with your driver and shoot off into the palmettos fields. Second you can throw into the pond on holes #6 and #7. Third you can throw into the water canal located along Hole #8 and #9. Then there is the ever present palmetto fields that can force you to have a tough approach to a basket that is hard to see.

8) Elevated basket is a cool hole, where you have to clear a few hundred feet of palmettos.

9) Two sets of tees seem to be appropriate distances. The forward tees are short enough to help beginner move through this course. They also take away the majority of the difficulty of throwing near the pond on holes #6 and 7.

10) Distance variations are pretty good. I like that there are a couple multiple shot holes. Many of the shorter holes will also feel like multiple shot holes because you will likely get knocked down by a tree or two.
Cons: 1) More signage would be helpful to navigation. There are a few paths through the palmetto fields that might confuse you and lead you to the wrong area.

2) Sourse starts away from the practice basket, and is completely disjointed from the rest of the course. #1 is the only hole on the other side of the road.

3) The walk path is in play (at the #1 tee since you throw from the sidewalk), but it also brings the entrance road into play. This is just a horrible place for the first hole.

4) Palmetto's are still too dense. This course would be so much better if it got more play and more and more people went through the palmetto areas. These areas would get trampled and finding your disc would not be a problem.

5) There is no sign directing you to Hole #1, nor a sign directing you from Hole #1 to find Hole #2. These are the two worst areas for navigation, and the solution is a couple $ sign that has not been made.

6) Another Florida course with zero elevation. I know it is simply the property they are given, but I still consider no elevation a negative. The only thing that acts like elevation is when you have to throw over the top of the palmettos. You have to elevate your disc as if you were throwing uphill to avoid hitting the tops of those palmettos leaves.

7) Course is not beginner friendly despite the duel tees. The water is still in play because the right bail out zone is thick palmettos and overgrown brush. The palmetto areas will be very frustrating to a beginner, and the likelihood of a lost disc is high. This will be a negative for most beginners.
Other Thoughts: I love the fact that there are 20-30 older people playing shuffleboard here everyday. It reminds me of grandma and grandpa at their mobile home. I wanted to go in there and see if anyone would take a challenge by a 34 year old disc golfer. Why, because I am a good shuffleboard player! Yep I admitted it. I don't play often, maybe 5 tmes int he last 20 year but when I was a kid I loved staying in hotels that had shuffleboard.

I played this course for the first time in exactly 1 year. However when I played last year I had only played Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown KY, Bay Oaks in Fort Myers Beach and Florida Gulf Coast University. I didnt have much to compare, I just knew I didnt like the palmettos being so difficult to walk through, hard to find discs in, and that they were everywhere on the course. I can appreciate this course much more now than when I had only played about 4 rounds and 4 courses. Now I have played 145 courses and about 400 rounds in just over 1 year so I have a lot more to compare it to. I had a great time today playing the shorts and I would enjoy the longs too, now that I can hit fairways and thread the needle. WHen I first played I was still throwing everything like a spike hyzer because I didnt have the right form. Now I know how to play the game and I have to upgrade this course rating, despite the issues on the course. It is a fun course, but it could use just a little more maintenance.