Course Extinct
Travis AFB, CA
National/Johnson Field Share

When hope, determination & goodwill collide

1    7/25/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: elton807
Pros: Legit distances, nice layout, and great use of elevation. Cool airplane adjacent to first hole; fun & unique way to start the round. Variety of tee shots with even a few tomohawk opportunities into the prevailing wind. The navy blue powder coated baskets are in decent shape. Using the course map link made it a breeze to navigate for first time.
Cons: No tee pads, and only about 6 barely legible signs. Very limited access to civilians.
Other Thoughts: I still cannot believe I was able to get on the course today! On a whim I decided to pull off on the Travis exit to at least ask what the situation would be. When I got to the entry gate, I asked if a civilian such as myself could play the DG course. The officer said I needed a Sponsor or guest pass & directed me back to the visitor center. I took a ticket & waited to talk to the guy at the front desk. After talking to the old timer, he profiled me & very kindly offered to sponsor me since his shift was done after lunch. I can now proudly say that I've played & reviewed every course in the greater Bay Area. Thank you W!!!
======================
Uniqueness: A- (awesome airplane, air force base, exclusivity)
Difficulty: B+ (decent wind, some elevation changes; would like more trees)
Fun Factor: A- (simply stoked to be there; fun & quick course too)
Aesthetics: B- (mowed, but not pretty grass, next to two baseball fields)
----------------------
Overall: B+