Charlestown, RI
Ninigret Park Share
Uploaded By: JAKE master Hole #18 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #18 White/Blue Approach

Good Rep for Rhody

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: Leftist
Pros: Excellent assortment of long and short baskets with the shorties bunched in the middle. Nice setting in a scrub oak / shrubby littoral woodland split by old paved roads from an abandoned airfield training community. Signage is now primo! Apparently this is a recent development and it certainly made my solo first time a breeze. If you can't find the next tee or get turned around then you're an idiot:)
Cons: Heavy metal sheet tee pads on a bunch of (blue) tees. When they weren't puddling water they were eliciting ginger f'''ed up footwork that kinda pissed me off occasionally. Nice local found object distinctiveness but functionally suspect for this tosser.
Other Thoughts: Pleased to finally play this only permanent course in my home state! I can recommend it unequivocally and look forward to attacking it on my next visit...

Call me a Homer!

5+    3/19/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Challenging course, especially the back Nine
- A tremendous amount of improvement since the last time I played.
- Great creativity on many holes with use of Mandos.
- Still remains the best course for miles.
- Ninigret Park is near the coast and beach, so plenty of places to check out nearby.
- If it ever reached its full potential, the Park has plenty of parking and amenities to host a solid tournament.
Cons: - Tough during summer- vegetation grows like crazy
- the whole area is prone to ticks, so be careful.
- The course will perpetually need more maintenance than most, due to the vegetation growth on most holes
Other Thoughts: - I have a tremendous amount of sentimental attachment to this course. It was one of the first ones I regularly started playing when I got into disc golf over 10 years ago.
- The course is challenging and has made me a better player as a result.
- Hole #17 is a classic. I would love to see how pro level players fair on this one. One of the toughest Par 5s I have ever come across.
- Glad to see some of the upgrades with tee signs around the course. It is currently in great shape and it is definitely worth a stop if you are passing through the area. Will always remain one of my top fav courses, wish there were more in my home state of Rhode Island.

Pleasant surprise!

1    5/1/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Challenging lines with nice distance. You will need accuracy and some big throws to score well here.The course felt very even for right-left-dart shots. I had to flick more than a couple from the funk to get back on track. The longer holes call for drivers but I recommend caution. There are some nice ace runs as well.

There wasn't much elevation and no water to speak of but the course was balanced. I don't believe in knocking a course hard for not having certain natural effects. For the land and terrain available, I feel this is a very well designed course from tee to pin (from pin to tee is another story).

The apparently new tee signs were quite nice. They illustrated distances and lines for each of the three tee's. FYI for this review, we played the blue/long layout.

I read in the other reviews commenting on how terrible the rough and insects are, however, I played in early spring. The rough was just beginning to green and there were very few pests. I found the rough to be a bit thick but nothing too terrible. Perhaps my opinion of this would change on a humid July afternoon. Regardless, it seems this course is best suited for early spring and late fall play.
Cons: I was fortunate enough to join a couple locals on the first tee. During the round, it was obvious that navigation would have been tough without their lead. There is a lot of wandering, sometimes it seemed in circles, to get to the next tee.

Not much in the amenities department but no big deal. Pack it in - pack it out, use the john before you get there and byo bev.
Other Thoughts: I seriously enjoyed this course. It was challenging yet fair. A lot of the gripes folks have had about this course have seemingly been addressed recently. The signage was sweet and the tees were solid. I tip my hat to the individuals maintaining this course. The growth and brush here must take considerable effort to keep at bay.

Due to the low overall rating of this course, I almost past it by on this trip. Very glad I stopped. Good time had by all.

Don't sleep on Ninigret

5+    11/1/2012   11/3/2012
Review By: starwhale
Pros: - Ninigret is a course that makes you think about every shot you throw, you can't just say ill just throw it hard and far and ill be fine because you'll end up in 3 feet deep bushes. It forces you decide what you want to do before you throw your shot which will come in handy playing all courses.
- New tee signs have now been put in which tell you par, distance, and the interesting out of bounds rules that spice up many holes.
- Fall is the perfect time to try Ninigret, all the overgrowth is dying all as well as all the bugs that can make playing here in the summer time almost not worth it.
- great variety of hyzer, straight, and anhyzer holes.
Cons: - overgrowth on some holes still but it is only one guy who takes care of the course so considering, he is doing a pretty good job.
- no tee pads on many holes which can cause trips and falls on a wooded course, but I've heard this is the next step on revamping Ninigret.
- no leagues which is a shame since this is the only course in Rhode Island.
Other Thoughts: I was going to give this course a 3 but the new tee signs bumped it up for me. (No tee signs has been a common complaint of mine since I first played here). But some holes and tee pads are still missing tee signs but I assume it is on going to put them on all holes. Once again it would be great to have some leagues here since it is the only course in Rhode Island but good job Ninigret it is worlds from where it was as a 8 hole course!

training grounds

5+    10/23/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: JAKE master
This review was updated on 10/27/2012
Pros: New tee signs posted on the Blue and Red tee pads. New direction signs abundant throughout the course. Seating on several holes. come here to practice and it will due you well. you can make use of just about any throwing style. this course forces you to play with finesse and imagination due to the the tight fairways and wooded holes. awesome variety due to multiple tee boxes. many fun ace- able holes.
Cons: Steel pads can be slick in rain or snow.during the summer i have been mauled by mosquitos, spraying them with repellent did not have any effect. There is about 5 holes that tend to be slightly overgrown but always playable if you keep your eyes open. Poison ivy preventatives could be utilized here as well
Other Thoughts: can be technical with shot placement so it could be a pro or con depending on the player. big arm throwers may be discouraged. there is only a few holes you can really utilize air space. Beautiful course to play in the fall. memorable holes. 12 is a unique hole like none other ive seen with its giant 20x30 tee pad, and winding S fairway. 17, with the green monster, now a par 5, as well as 15 with the dreaded OB pit that i went double OB from the blue. that SOB 15. but as they say here, no wimps, no whiners!

Ninigret now has 18 baskets

5+    1/28/2012   1/29/2012
Review By: tr8k
This review was updated on 9/12/2013
Pros: Very challenging. Good variety of throws required. 3 sets of tees for all 18 baskets. Brand new mach 3s with number plates on all 18 baskets. Never seen it crowded. Plenty of parking. Free. Nice mixture of plant life makes it quite scenic.
Cons: Flat. Poison ivy. Really rough roughs. Lots of rocks/boulders that make mowing very difficult. Layout can be hard to navigate at times. Very hard to maintain with little help from the park or city.
Other Thoughts: I met the course designer and he has spent many years trying to improve the course. I see him there quite often, working on clearing brush and hanging new signage. For the few months ive been playing here, i have seen the course greatly improved.