Charlestown, RI
Ninigret Park Share
Uploaded By: JAKE master Hole #3 (Taken 10/2012)

Way Better than its Disc Score

1    10/17/2012   10/25/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- New Directional Signage. According to the other reviews below… and the courses disc score… navigation used to be a bitch at this course - and I can see how. However, the new directional signs that must have been installed recently made navigation a near breeze (I did have to consult the map 2 times). With the additions of the tee-signs, I think the course is considerably better than its disc score might indicate.
- Play Golf. Ninigret makes you "play golf". The ruff is brutal, the fairways are tight, and the ceilings are low… these three things force you concentrate on your shot, or else! If you're trying to throw spike hyzers over everything, or out there playing willy-nilly, you're bound to lose some plastic and get scratched up trying to retrieve it. However, if you look at the holes (I'm speaking of the more difficult holes) for what they are (holes designed to force you to link shots), then the course is fantastic.
- The Green Monster. I loved Hole 17… a 500+' long, extremely roughed corridor, with a green painted bamboo wall (i.e. The Green Monster) at about 400' out with a mandatory around the "foul ball" side of the left "Foul Pole".
- That it's There. Ninigret is the only course listed for Rhode Island… so I guess that it's a good thing that the course even exists. Plus, if you bag it… you get to play 100% of the courses in that state!
Cons:
- Crossover Confuses Navigation. There are several areas where the course figure 8's on itself, and it's easy to get turned around… especially if you don't trust the NEW directional signs. TRUST the new directional signs, they will take you to the next hole.
- Un-Numbered Tee-Pads. It would have been helpful if the tee-pads had tee-signs. Nothing helps aid navigation better than seeing a 4x4 post sticking up… especially if the course has natural tee-pads!!! It would have been nice to know the pars and distances of the holes too.
- Hole 18. After so many interesting holes, it was a letdown to finish the course out on a more regular, just get me back to the car, type of hole… especially after the build-up of playing the extremely legit, championship caliber, Hole 17.
- USE A SPOTTER. I played the course with my girlfriend spotting for me. I had her stand near where I wanted to throw the disc so she could get right on top of them as soon as they landed. This allowed me to open up a little more on shots that I might otherwise have laid up on.
- Better than its Disc Score. I think the cumulative total of bad scores (all probably well-deserved at the time of their writing) have forced this awesome little course to be ranked poorly. However, with the recent improvements (9 new holes and directional signage) and continued maintenance, this course could become pretty solid. I was expecting an atrocity of a course and was pleasantly surprised by the great golf at Ninigret.
- Overall… Ninigret has a bad rap. I would gladly play here again if I was in Rhode Island. The rough is BRUTAL and the shots demanding… but I like that! The use of a spotter is highly recommended if you want to go big and not lose plastic. Navigation was enhanced with the new directional signs and linked course map. It was pouring rain while I played the course (by myself, with the Girlfriend as a spotter) and I still had a blast. It's definitely better than its disc score indicates and well worth the effort to play it if you want to bag Rhode Island and get that "100% in a state played" mark hit.

Donde estan los Tee Signs Mando?

2-4    7/20/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: *Good Distance
*Thick Terrain
*Many Blind Shots
*Beachside Bombs
*Mellow and Quick
Cons: *NO TEE SIGNS
*Poorly Marked Boxes
*Overgrown
*Poison Ivy!
*Jenky Ass Benches
Other Thoughts: All in all not a bad course, but it deff needs some TLC. You can see that the baskets are fresh and nice, but it has you wondering who is Mando and why hasnt he broken out the weed whacker and found out whoever stole the signs haha

OK Course

1    5/12/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: dj cabron
Pros: Good course, fun to play and the locals were fun to chat with.
Cons: BEWARE OF TICKS!!! I was very shocked that there were no signs posted anywhere regarding the huge problem of ticks that carry Lyme Disease in this area. We were loaded with ticks when coming out of the park. Remember to check yourself and I would not bring any pets along.
Other Thoughts: This course played very well and I did enjoy the views and environment. I would recommend playing this in the winter when there is no threat of ticks.

training grounds

5+    10/23/2012   2/15/2012
Review By: JAKE master
This review was updated on 10/27/2012
Pros: New tee signs posted on the Blue and Red tee pads. New direction signs abundant throughout the course. Seating on several holes. come here to practice and it will due you well. you can make use of just about any throwing style. this course forces you to play with finesse and imagination due to the the tight fairways and wooded holes. awesome variety due to multiple tee boxes. many fun ace- able holes.
Cons: Steel pads can be slick in rain or snow.during the summer i have been mauled by mosquitos, spraying them with repellent did not have any effect. There is about 5 holes that tend to be slightly overgrown but always playable if you keep your eyes open. Poison ivy preventatives could be utilized here as well
Other Thoughts: can be technical with shot placement so it could be a pro or con depending on the player. big arm throwers may be discouraged. there is only a few holes you can really utilize air space. Beautiful course to play in the fall. memorable holes. 12 is a unique hole like none other ive seen with its giant 20x30 tee pad, and winding S fairway. 17, with the green monster, now a par 5, as well as 15 with the dreaded OB pit that i went double OB from the blue. that SOB 15. but as they say here, no wimps, no whiners!

Ninigret now has 18 baskets

5+    1/28/2012   1/29/2012
Review By: tr8k
This review was updated on 9/12/2013
Pros: Very challenging. Good variety of throws required. 3 sets of tees for all 18 baskets. Brand new mach 3s with number plates on all 18 baskets. Never seen it crowded. Plenty of parking. Free. Nice mixture of plant life makes it quite scenic.
Cons: Flat. Poison ivy. Really rough roughs. Lots of rocks/boulders that make mowing very difficult. Layout can be hard to navigate at times. Very hard to maintain with little help from the park or city.
Other Thoughts: I met the course designer and he has spent many years trying to improve the course. I see him there quite often, working on clearing brush and hanging new signage. For the few months ive been playing here, i have seen the course greatly improved.

Skip It.

1    8/15/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: H3LlIoN
Pros: Score cards with course map stocked at the start of the course. Some tight and interesting short throws that really challenge you to curve discs and throw accurately.
Cons: This course is poorly laid out. Tees are nothing more than painted rocks or logs. There are only 8 holes...3 is "closed until further notice." Some land marks marked on the score card are no longer on the course. At times, you have to walk across one hole to get to the next. Bugs and thorns were terrible. Also, one of the holes requires that you throw down the side of a main road, possibly in to traffic. Also and surprisingly, this course was pretty busy, which was great, because we could ask the locals where the heck the next tee was.
Other Thoughts: Unless you have nothing better to do, skip this one and hit the beach close by. I also recommend Mew's Tavern about 15 minutes away for some killer grub and brews.

Frustrating

1    8/24/2011   10/3/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a wooded park with tight technical fairways and punishing rough. You'll need to be accurate here or it'll definitely cost you strokes. There is a mix of left and right turning holes, forcing a decent variety of shots. The short tees offer a bunch of ace run shots, and many of the long tees have some decent distance especially on the newer 9 holes. The online course map is accurate and very helpful.
Cons: The Course is nearly impossible to follow without a map. There are several awkward transitions that aren't marked, and the numbering is incorrect. 9 holes were added between. The original 7 and 8, but none of those holes have tee signs or numbers on the basket and there are often trails to the wrong tee. Even with the maple got turned around, without it we would never have found all the holes (especially with 3 missing a basket, apparently a permanent condition). There are tee signs on the original 9, but a few are missing or broken. The new 9 have only ground level markers making the tees very difficult to locate.

The maintenance here was pretty miserable. I understand thick thorny rough, but losing blood to tall thorny bushes while searching for a disc that landed in the middle of the fairway is unacceptable. The lack of fairway maintenance also makes it even more difficult to find the tees other than the few where someone put down a sheet of rusty metal as a tee surface...
Other Thoughts: There are some shots that could be interesting here, but it's a mediocre course at best. Couple that with terrible signage, navigation and maintenance and it just makes for a frustrating round. The few shots that could be fun were ruined by the threat of losing your disc in the middle of the fairway if you actually went for more than a 150' putter shot. Beginners will hate the tight fairways and nasty rough, and experienced players will be disappointed when all the fun shots aren't really throwable if you value your blood and plastic.

Misquito Heaven!

1    8/5/2011   8/9/2011
This review was updated on 12/3/2012
Pros: First of all, can someone please explain to me how a course with eight (8), that's E-I-G-H-T, 8 baskets gets listed as an 18 hole course. Even when the seemingly pulled basket # 3 is returned, that makes this a 9 basket course with dual tees. That is not a 18 hole course fellows. If there are three pads for each basket, it's not a 27 hole course.

I wasn't fortunate to get any help from locals. The only locals I encountered were about a bizillion misquitos who swarmed and feasted on me as soon as I teed off from # 1. Applying liberal doses of repellant numerous times didn't seem to dissuade the little bastards even a smidgen. So I must admit, the rest of my review was only glimpsed through the rear view mirror on my disc golf bag as I flew through this course as fast as my old legs could carry me. The fairways were fairly narrow with thick underbrush. I could see spending a fair amount of time hunting for discs here. There are some tee signs and the baskets that I found were numbered. There are two or maybe three teepads for each basket but I'm pretty sure there are currently only eight (8) basket. A nineth is on the way. According to my 2011 census, there are 67,312 misquitos per each hole. And each one is hungry!
Cons: Beside the pesky little misquitos, I got pretty lost after # 4. I finally found and played # 8 and # 9. # 9 from the short pad is only about a 100 feet. Truthfully, by this time, I just wanted to get the hell outta Dodge.
Other Thoughts: This is the first time I ever been able to write this in a review but here it is. If I lived in this state (Rhode Island), I'd go to another state and play.

Okay-Since I now understand there are 18 baskets instead of the 8 when I played and I hear there is some?? signage, I've raised my previous 1 to a more reasonable 2. If and when I return to Little Rhody, I'll play here again and maybe raise my rating some more!

frustrating

2-4    6/19/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: max1012
Pros: Recently converted back to 18 hole course, the posted map is fairly accurate, shade. no traffic
Cons: poison ivy everywhere, mosquitoes, very dense brush, lost discs easily, no trash cans, overgrown fairways, no next tee signs, basically not maintained at all.
Other Thoughts: I wont play this course until i hear of extreme improvements,desperately needs upkeep. it's just the only course within a reasonable distance.

Perfectly Even

2-4    2/12/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: Three sets of tees that give you three completely different courses essentially. The front nine holes that have signs are very good ones. Lots of OB makes a flat wooded course much more challenging. OB is clearly marked and/or defined. There are ace races from all three tees, the short tees have the most by far though. There is a perfect mix of holes: six each dogleg right, left and straight. The pin placement is very strategic on every hole, whether it be on a ridge, behind a bush or on an island green. Punishing rough forces you to make your shots count. There are unique and fun mandos. Only course in Rhode Island.
Cons: Next tee signs are missing and course is hard to navigate without them, so bring the map! There aren't tee signs on the back nine yet. There are no facilities just for the course. There is a nature and senior center near the course but are closed most of the time. The tee pad condition is very different. Some are nice on pavement, others on large sheets of rusted metal, some dirt and others on rocky soil. On at least one occasion three holes share the same tee. Basket three is currently pulled due to some construction work that went on in the fairway (should be replaced soon).
Other Thoughts: You will need the course map because of the twist and turns and crossover. In the summer you can hear the waves of the ocean.