Course Extinct
Mt. Morris, WI
Nordic Mountain Ski Area Share
Uploaded By: TenaciousMV Hole #14
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole 14. About 200 feet, downhill then up. That path doesn't even go all the way from the tee to the basket. You WILL walk through ferns that are at least 4 feet high. Give yourself a lot of time on this one.

sweet course out in the sticks

1    10/23/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: mrragner
Pros: nice scenery, challenging, uncrowded
Cons: hard to find baskets on a couple of holes
Other Thoughts: awesome couse with lots of elevation, requiring consistent throws. Be sure to stop in at the little cafe on the way, The owners are very cool. Don't park your car at the ballpark overnight cause it'll get towed dude.

Nordic Mountain - hot summer

5+    8/29/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: Ian Goldberg
Pros: Amazing elevation and views. Very challenging course, both in terms of required accuracy but also physical stamina. Good variety of shots, and some very original holes.

The course was in good shape. A little long in a few spots, but it has been a wet and warm summer. The signs have been upgraded, and there are now signs pointing to the next hole.

This is a tough course. A 51 won doubles amongst 9 golfers today, most with ratings 900+.

Get out and play this course while you can!
Cons: The rough is very rough - lots of tall ferns, and stinging nettles and rasberries. Wearing pants is wise! The course regularly needs grooming.

Hole 1 has been redesigned for better flow. It's not a bad hole, but I miss the original layout.
Other Thoughts: It is a pay course, and is not currently profitable. There is little or no marketing, and the area has a very small residential population. I hope the owner doesn't pull the course!

Hard core disc golfers only

1    9/19/2009   9/19/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: So chill!! We played this course at the end of the day and had a blast. Fair ways: Long, short, up, down, major risk/rewards. Rough wilderness feeling. The blankets of fern, brambles, nettle poison ivy give this course a certain charm. The trails are the king where you forget your discing because you see such a variety of species in the flora and fauna.
Cons: Navigation is a little tricky at times but the extra hiking is good for you! Seriously though some next tee signs would save time (for us out of town disc golf junkies).
Other Thoughts: Use your brain! Use a spotter! Save yourself lots of time if you take the time to hike up the fairway to spot and hike back to throw. Only 3 bucks and money well spent.

Worst in Wisconsin

1    6/13/2009   6/16/2009
Review By: Mike1sMike
Pros: The scenery, once out of the muddy hollow which is the parking area, was pretty decent.
Cons: I was appalled that I paid to play a very poorly maintained course as this. It took almost as much time to figure out which hole was next as it was to play the hole. The terrain is rough, uneven, weedy and filled with multitudes of wood ticks and mosquitos. Sheer stubborness of seeing the course pushed me through it but I missed holes 12 and 17 and truthfully did not care.
Other Thoughts: To even put a sign up threatening fines and such if one does not pay course fees takes gall for this course. There should be shame somewhere and this farce should not even be listed as a course until minimal maintenance is performed on it.

I like this one quite a bit

2-4    6/11/2008   3/12/2009
Review By: tallpaul
This review was updated on 11/16/2011
Pros: Having played more than 100 courses in Wisconsin, and all of the ski hills; I find this one comparable to the hills up north. The views are very nice, and as you can imagine, elevation play is a major factor.
Cons: Your first time through, it is a bit tough to navigate. Simply finding the parking spot for the first hole takes a bit of looking. The rough is dense. Errant throws are likely to disappear over the edge of a large hill and disappear into the rough. Paying attention to throw finales and being prepared to do some disc searching is advised.
Other Thoughts: Living in the fox cities, Appleton, Wis., I consider this course to be in the close course range (i.e. less than one hour). And within that range, which encompasses 15 or more courses, this is one of the toughest and most scenic; and there has been no one there on the two occasions I've been there. I consider this a plus compared to overrun local links. I plan on heading out for at least two,day trips to the hill this year. Am planning on taking a grill and burgers and making a day of it each time.

Not the best ski run course

6/16/2008   7/4/2008
Review By: -HUC-
Pros: The course has a ton of elevation change with scenic vistas and a lot of length. Some wooded holes and some open. Off the beaten path so there isn't very busy. The course offers shots that you definitely don't see on other courses. Big endurance tester which is something you don't get at many courses. Gravel teepads with teesigns. Fairways are well maintained.
Cons: This course is kind of hard to love for several reasons.
First off, for a pay to play course I think it is very poorly maintained. It is a knee, ankle, toe buster because there is a lot of uneven terrain with thick plant cover so you can't see where you are stepping. This comes into play on a majority of holes. Beyond mowing fairway (some incompletely) there isn't a whole lot that is being taken care of on a monthly basis.
Secondly it is hard to navigate. The fairways have some spots where the mountain bike trails lead off in 3 different directions from the pin and there is no indication where to go. I threw at the wrong basket on more than one hole because the teesigns are not very detailed. I never did find the teebox for 17, but I am guessing I didn't miss much.
Lastly, the hole layouts really aren't that interesting considering what they had to work with. It seems that holes weren't really "designed" as much as they just put the baskets in where they thought they would fit without doing any additional work. This leads to some novel shots but nothing really that special. It feels like they left out some great holes and instead settled for ok ones.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough course to play for the wrong reasons. It would really be improved with more maintenance to make it easier to get around, find discs and see where you are stepping. More signs would also help finding your way much easier.
If you are looking to play a really fun challenging course on ski hills check out the Telemark resort in Cable WI. It really puts this course to shame.

A Slippery Slope

6/30/2008   7/1/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
This review was updated on 7/3/2008
Pros: A ton of elevation changes; some interesting holes; hole map at each hole with distance (not too great, though); gravel tee pads; nice views
Cons: Cons that go against the score: very little evidence of maintenance; unavoidable tall grass, ferns, and other disc gobbling plants; often can't see the ground you're walking on - can be dangerous and hide insects, branches, rocks, and other obstacles from view; wooded holes are little more than a tee and a basket - good luck traversing between the two!; even good throws may end up in a pit of ferns that will have you searching for quite a while; a ton of blind shots into grassy areas - you absolutely will need a spotter to run ahead to locate any throws that aren't perfect, and even some that are; often very difficult to find the next tee; a couple situations that may have you shooting for the wrong basket; only a couple holes have any risk/reward scenarios - in general they are either very long, very steep, or randomly wooded (there really is no course 'design' here) - this means you're likely to attempt the same shots every single time you play

Cons that do not impact score: Mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers; very tough to find the course at all (I'll add pictures shortly to aid with this); pay to play
Other Thoughts: I had been looking forward to playing this course ever since I first read the description on dgcoursereview.com. A course that runs through a ski mountain, how cool is that? I knew that some holes were in the open, some were wooded, and there was elevation all over the place - there isn't much more to ask for.

When we first arrived here, we had no idea where the course was. Long story short, it took us an extra 15 minutes or so to locate it after finding the park. I will add (or have added, depending on when you read this) some pictures to help you locate the course and first tee.

After paying $3/each for one round, we were off. We planned to play 2 rounds, but the sun set in about 2.75 hours so we weren't sure. We figured we could get 2 in and pay extra when we came back.

After some work, we found the first tee. It went directly into a small hill about 7 feet high. Turns out, the first hole wasn't just a gimmie, it was completely blind off the tee. This didn't bother us at all, except there was 3 foot high grass all over the place. The spotting began. We didn't need spotting because we throw a ton of horrible shots - you will need a spotter even if you play close to perfectly. This wasn't a huge deal, but became annoying.

The next 8 holes were all in the open. Some were very long and steep, but in general there were no unique or thoughtful challenges. Any shot that didn't hit the fairway on a drive would lead to a long search. It was already getting old. In addition, we started to have trouble finding the next tee and shot at a wrong basket before the 10th hole. The result of searching for discs and all the confusion was that our first 9 holes took over an hour!!!

It got worse.

The next 9 holes were wooded. I love wooded holes - I knew they were coming and was excited to see some risk/reward. No. Each had a tee and a basket that were between 200 and 500 feet apart, but not much else. No real fairways, no specific shots needed. There were just random trees, tall grass, and oh-so-many ferns in-between. Hole 14 (I believe) comes to mind - it was about 200 feet, went downhill and then up, not many trees, and was completely covered in ferns from the tee to the basket. The odds of not going in the ferns unless you ended up within 10 feet of the basket were about 2%. We both had good shots and both went in the ferns. There went 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. In addition to the wasted time, we got more scratches on our legs, strange bugs on our clothing, and had officially had enough of this course.

We both agreed we just wanted it to end, but also agreed if I was going to review it we should finish. I love disc golf. I've never just wanted to leave a course the first time I played it. I also haven't mentioned that I lost a disc - no points off for that, but I will say it wasn't on a terrible throw.

A score of 2.0 is average. I've given this score to courses I've played that were fun to play (after all, disc golf is fun) but didn't provide a lot of risk/reward or a wide variety of shots.

This course took more fun out of the sport than I knew was possible, didn't force risk/reward due to a lack of design, and will only require you to use 3 discs. I recommend using 3 discs that you don't mind losing.

Don't let the elevation changes fool you into thinking this must be good as I did. With that said, the elevation did keep this from being a 0.5/5.

This course is, unfortunately, poor - 1.0