Layout Extinct

North Port Charlotte, FL
North Charlotte Regional Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #2 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #2 Approach

Nice re-design!

5+    11/10/2011   11/11/2011
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: - easy to follow the course.

- nice concrete pads, multiple pads and multiple basket positions on several holes.

- newly designed back 9 adds much needed diversity to the course. There are now some holes that open up more yet still maintain a good technical challenge.

- lots of shade for hot days.

- very tight technical course that will surely challenge all skill ranges.
Cons: - very long walk between 18 back to hole 1 if you decide to play again or if you play an organized round where people start on different holes.

- a few new tee pads (holes 2, 9alt, 13, 15alt) were a little too close to the fairway or basket from the previous hole but I suppose that could only be an issue if the course was crowded, which it was not.

- It's one thing to make a hole virtually impossible to ace, but to make it virtually impossible to birdie in 2 is somewhat of a disappointment to me. Holes 1 & 2 are case in point. I don't mind a good tight wooded hole as there are plenty of great tight holes on this course, but holes 1 & 2 are just too tight with trees and vegetation too have such long funky twists in the fairway. This really kills the fun factor on these holes in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: - restrooms & water fountain @ baseball field pavilion.

- there is quite a contrast of difficulty between the front 9 & back 9. The front 9 is considerably tighter and the fairways are less forgiving. The vegetation and landscape change on the back 9 which helps open the fairways enough for ample birdie opportunities that were just not there on the front 9.

- overall, I think the redesign was a big improvement and the new back 9 is awesome. Can't wait to play this course again.

nice little course

1    6/10/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: Guru10
Pros: -easy to navigate
-trash cans were plenty, little trash on ground
-flows very well
-great for all skill levels
-concrete tees
Cons: -little, if any, elevation
-just slight variation in hole design, a little monotonous
Other Thoughts: i played with my family and we had a blast. it was easy for us to navigate hole-to-hole and we never lost any discs, even though it was my mom and dad's first time on a course and my first course outside of texas. the holes felt a little monotonous, but the usage of the available land and the creative pin placements kept things fresh. i will definitely play this course whenever i visit. just wish i could have played the course several times to learn the lines.

1    5/9/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Tee areas: Wooden Posts with Distance, direction, an hole #. (No Map) Concrete Tees, plenty of garbage cans.

-Signs in the park directing one to the Disc Golf course*.

-Navigation: There isn't a map per say, but there are plenty of directional signs to find your way through the course. The course flows nicely

-Layout: It does play 18 straight through, but it returns to the start after #5, so a quick round is possible if one were on a schedule. …or even start on 6 and play through 18, if one were so inclined.

-It's a wooded course and the fairways are wide and the brush is sparse enough that losing a disc is a low risk. Although, I did have one disc get stuck up in a tree.

-Good pin placements. For the area that was used, they did a great job maximizing the course potential.

-Good fun factor. This is a course that is beginner friendly, yet can still be enjoyed by all skill levels. I only used a driver on 6 and 18. The rest of the course, I threw mids.

-The distances are fair for a wooded course. They average from 250-300ft, with a 416ft open shot. You will find specific lines that you will need to throw, in order to work your way through trees and around corners. It's challenging, but not difficult. The trees will also require you to keep it low.

-For the most part, the course is separate from the rest of the park and doesn't play near common areas.*

-The players that I met on the course were very friendly. Two guys coming off #18 help point me in the direction towards hole #1*. I met some other players on the course, and they walked up, shook my hand and introduced themselves. That is something I felt was well worth mentioning. Very cool!

-If there is a Baseball game going on, the lights can help light up the last few holes. Just in case it gets dark on you like it did me.

-For what it's worth: There are baseball fields here, so there might be a concession stand (seasonal) and bathrooms nearby. (I forgot to double check this, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
Cons: -Though the navigation* here was very good, locating the first tee can be tricky. I had to ask a couple of guys coming off the 18th basket, for directions. From the parking lot, you'll see a basket along the edge of the woods. That is #18. The first tee, is just past it to the right and down in the woods. To give you a generalized location, it's between the 18th basket and the road.

-Though the course is segregated, for the most part, some events might find some stragglers roaming around near some of the baskets. In my case, it was a little league game. I stumbled onto some kids running around the fairways. Namely 11 and 12. The interactions may not be limited to Baseball.

-I didn't see any bathrooms or portos on the course. I would assume that there would be some near the ballfields.

-Although, issues with this con should be minimal, 6 &18 do share a fairway. The odds of getting hit here are slim, but it's still worth the mention to be alert for that possible shank.

-A few holes plays alongside the back of the ballfield. So be alert for Home Run balls. The trees might deflect most, but anything is possible. As I always say: They don't yell Fore in Baseball, so heads up!

-This is just for the mention, not necessarily a slight. The elevation changes are minimal. For the most part, the course is flat, with a couple of gradual hills on the longer holes. This is just part of being in a coastal area. It is what it is.

-I could foresee this place having a bug issue in the summertime. So throw some repellent in the bag.

-They are pulling this course, this summer so hurry up and enjoy it!
Other Thoughts: I wasn't sure what to expect here, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed myself, and felt I was challenged. It could get muddy here, but normal Tennis shoes should be okay footwear here. There weren't any immediate places to eat nearby, but you should pass plenty of Gas stations or restaurants on the way to the course.
If you are in the area, or driving up 75, this is a good course to take in. It also compliments the other courses in the area nicely. If you are doing a roadtrip, it's a little ways off I-75, but not too much to complain about. It's woodsy, but not frustratingly tight. It's open enough that you have a variety of options for your lines. Though it would appear to be right-hand dominate, the placements are set straight ahead. So whether you are right handed or left, you'll still be required to shape your shot. I had a great time here, and I'm glad I got in a round before the course gets relocated.

Fun & Sun SW Florida style

2-4    3/14/2011   3/14/2011
Review By: g1nked
This review was updated on 3/17/2011
Pros: Course is a good example of a Florida course
Clean, well maintained, safe place I felt to play
Cons: Signage could improve to help navigation
Benches would be a good addition
Other Thoughts: Look up thrembro and his brother are great guides. Dont know about a signature hole besides StoneHenge possibly. For the area great place to check out. Excited to see the course redesign should be soon according to a couple locals.

YOUR HELP NEEDED!!!!

1    10/31/2010   10/31/2010
Review By: kfellmy
This review was updated on 11/13/2010
Pros: Awesome course very tight and technical. Most holes are short 250 feet or so. Some longer but still just as tight. Friendly locals abound on this course.
Cons: THERE IS A TOWN COUNCIL MEETING. THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE THIS COURSE AND ADD BASEBALL DIAMONDS. MEETING IS WEDNESDAY DURING THE DAY (SO THERE WON'T BE ANYONE THERE TO OBJECT.)
Other Thoughts: I hope this course is still around. You've got until March before this course gets plowed over.

1    8/10/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: A lot has already been said about this course. I will just add what I think would be helpful to someone coming for the first time that has not already been said.

Pay close attention to the navigation signs. They are excellent and otherwise you would just wander all over the woods.

I was clueless for a while where hole 1 was located. Pull in the first park entrance well before the road dead ends. You will see a disc golf course sign on the right side of the road and a basket. That is the basket for hole 18 and hole one is just to the right of that basket by walking next to the bench, down the hill. I wish I had known that. It would have saved me some time. This course has plenty of challenge and requires a VERY high degree of accuracy if you want to get some birdies. Just enough obstacles in the way to keep birdies from being easy.
Cons: The course was empty when I played it and it would have been nice to have someone point out where the baskets were because so many holes are blind. If you are alone and playing for the first time you will have to walk up the fairway for a bit on many holes to know where you are throwing. The navigation signs help but you still don't want to throw blind and lose a disc. This is a drawback only on the first few times playing this course. Later, this would be a big plus on this course as it adds difficulty and challenge once it is no longer a nuisance through experience on the course.
Other Thoughts: This is one park along I-75 that I would love to play again. That can't be said for all the courses along I-75. If you are going to play any make sure to hit this course and the ones in Sarasota (Lakeview & Water Tower).

A good technical short game workout

2-4    7/10/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: This course provides a very solid short game workout for intermediate/advanced players. The fairways are fair and require a variety of shot shapes to score well.

The schule is moderate and the chance of losing discs is slight.

The navigation is intuitive and there are plenty of next tee signs.

I consider this to be a white-level par 56 course with holes 6 and 7 considered par 4's for the intermediate level player. Those holes provide good opportunities to place a good shot off the tee and then thread a gap on a 150 ft. second shot.

The cement tee pads and baskets are in good condition and there are some trash cans on the course.

The park is a very nice complex with other amenities.
Cons: The course does not loop back to the starting area after 9 holes, even though it could have easily been designed that way.

The tee signs do not provide the shape of the holes. Many times it is necessary to walk ahead to see the basket, even if you've played the course before. Many of the holes could benefit from having "sight lines" cut to allow the basket to be glimpsed from the tee.

Several of the fairways are unecessarily and dangerously close to each other. There is unused land within the course area that could have been used to prevent this.

There is prime real estate near the course, including two ponds that could have been employed to create a longer, more dynamic course.

The drinking fountain and restrooms are quite a hike from the course, near the ballfields.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I enjoy playing this course and find it to be a great short game practice course. Some beginners may become frustrated with the tight fairways, but I don't consider that to be a con.

Please don't be a dirty disc golfer, always pack out MORE than you pack in! :)

AKA The Preserve DGC

1    1/8/2010   1/8/2010
Pros: 1) Directional arrows and #'s directing you to the next tee. They had these little tags on posts and there was one for every hole unless it was obvious to continue straight to the next tee. There was also an arrow directing you to the first tee. This course sets a good example for navigation aids.

2) Hole # and Distance are listed on little yellow tags on a post right next to each tee. More helpful for navigation than anything else.

3) There is also a disc golf sign (although half of the arrow has been broken off) on Odonnell Road directing you to turn right into the parking lot.

4) Nice park with multiple baseball fields, a pond near the parking lot and a wonderful disc golf course. I did not explore but I would assume there were bathrooms and a concession area over by the ball fields. Most likely however they are not open all of the time.

5) Trippers (roots and stones) are painted with red paint. I have seen this done where disc golf courses double as cross country running areas.

6) Concrete tees are always a plus in my book. Planting on sandy soil would be just like playing on worn turf, so the concrete is highly welcomed. The sand from the sandy soil gets on the tees but doesn't seem to be an issue for slippery tees.

7) Course looks to be heavily played. Some may view this as a negative but it surely works in the walking paths and fairways. I think the play also helps to thin the underbrush and keep the fairways well defined.

8) DGA baskets in great shape with number plates facing the tees. SO many courses neglect to pay attention to the # plate alignment and it gets annoying. They did a good job of planting the sleeves at the appropriate angle.

9) This course is tight and challenging. It will make you shape your shots, but it is also fair and forgiving in appropriate places. I think a lot of this has to do with the amount of play.

10) Garbage and makeshift benches are scattered through the course and seemed to be adequate to me.

11) Underbrush is under good control. Again I think this is the case because of the high amount of play that this course seems to receive.

12) Soil is sandy but it nice to walk on. It wouldnt be muddy on this course anywhere because it is almost 100% sandy soil and no organic soil included.

13) There is a great variety of shot shaping. Some go left to right some go right to left and some require an S curve. There are also some straight at the basket options on some of these holes but that factors in more risk/reward. You can play safe and hope for a good bounce, or you can gun it right up the gut and go for the birdie.
Cons: 1) No diagram on the tee signs. I always like to see a general hole shape but most of the baskets are visible from the tees or the fairways are pretty clearly defined, but the diagram on the tee would be better in my opinion.

2) Only elevation on this course is on Hole #6 where you throw down and across some open turf to an opening into the wooded area. Hole #18 is also back up this same hill you came down on #6. Not enough elevation to consider worthwhile and/or challenging.

3) Water never comes into play on this course. I think they could have tucked a few baskets up to the troughs surrounding the course. They maybe could have even tucked baskets over the canals, unless that isnt their property.

4) Too many holes on this course seem to be simple par 3's Sure they are challenging for the birdie but most people will hit one obstacles lay up and make their three with a putt. I would rather see a wider range of scoring on some of these holes.

5) I hope this park is doing well . . . I did see three or four workers over by the ball fields so they must see some usage. It is located in an old abandoned development and I am sure it isn't very visible to many people. There is only a small Brown sign located out on the main road directing people to this park. Since the area along Odonnell is an abandoned development, and on a dead end road, not many people will end up on this road.
Other Thoughts: I also rated this course a little higher than some people on this site. I enjoyed it very much and it is very well designed, has enough amenities and it flows well. It has good signage, is well broken in, and seems to have some good maintenance people. I consider this course on par with many courses I consider my favorite, it just simply doesnt have enough variety to be one of the best. That does not take away from how fun the course is or how likely I would be to return, especially considering the other courses between Tampa and Naples. There just are not enough good courses for this area, probably because the tropical weather creates a lot of maintenance issues for plant material. I will make it a point to hit up this course whenever I visit my parents in Fort Myers and am most likely to drive to this course and the two in Sarasota before playing the other ones like FGCU, Bay Oaks, or Bonita.

Well Kept

1    11/17/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: Very good sign-age on where to actually start as well as next tee. Rocks painted red along a few fairways, as well as trails to tee's make the course easy to navigate, especially on your (mine today) first time here. None of the holes are too difficult and the DGA baskets are very easy to see. Different curves to the holes make good practice of forehand and backhand throwing.
Cons: Has quite a lot of trees to bounce off, but the shade here in Florida far out way's the nuisance of a million obstacles. Short holes make it easy for a beginner to end up in the trees, however the under brush here is Very thin compared to the NFM course. So it makes discs easy to find.
Other Thoughts: Drinking fountains and bathrooms are nice, especially when you loop back close to them on the start of the back nine. Holes seemed a bit short, but helpful sign-age made up for it. Course went by fast. Nice spot between the parking lot and hole 1/18 to warm up and throw a few for practice.

Tight, tough, technical

2-4    10/29/2009   10/30/2009
Review By: DOGvsRAPTOR
Pros: -nice concrete teepads
-a few benches spread out over the course
-trash cans at a majority of the teepads
-an overall clean course
-variety of shots
-bring your midrange discs
Cons: the Florida woods provide a thick rough, but it only makes you a better player. Keep it in the fairway!
Other Thoughts: I'm in the area for a quick Indiana getaway, had an opportunity to play this course with a friend of mine, as well as with a local. Most holes have a variety of shots to choose from, plus there is a pond that does not come into play currently, but our local guide told us the park had gotten the ok to put in an additional 9 holes around the pond. I try to play as many courses as I can and I had a blast working my Rocs down the tight fairways and unique greens.