North Charleston, SC
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #3

Mis-leading as an 18 holer

2-4    2/11/2015   4/1/2015
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Nice baskets, and most all tees are concrete and in fairly decent shape (and large enough for the course). Two tee pads on every hole.

Good tee signs that seemed accurate distances, mostly...

Excellent use of the land available, as the course is quite tightly packing into 8 segments of land in between roads. Very good use of what s available, but not the most idea property for a disc golf course. None the less, well done job by the designers and proposal to get a course in such a high foot traffic and busy streets, with homes just across the roads every where.
I would figure that this course generates many newer players as its highly visible from the roads, and the locals must be very well aware of disc golf just by driving past baskets...

I purposely played this course over Trophy Lakes while in Charleston for business on a one day trip - I am in process of designing a course on a slightly larger park, with similar high foot traffic and roads/homes in close proximity. So I learned what I came there to see and learn - that was gold for me.
Cons: I do think the designers tried to cram a harder, longer course into the property, with other courses nearby; there is a possibility that this course might be best as a beginner/noob design with very short holes and less change for throwing past each basket into vehicles - which I did several times...
I did find that despite traveling with 4 discs, I really only used two of them and would not use/need a full bag for a tournament. Many of the holes felt similar distance and I felt like there was very little variety in shot selection here. But to defend the designer, there is really not much you can do when you have a road breaking up the land every 350 ft... So land locked is what I would call it, not poor design.

Where as I listed the design as a pro, the available land is the con here.

Advertising this as an 18 hole course is entirely mis-leading. Had i not read the reviews and searched out this course, I would've been highly disappointed.
This is a 9 holes course, with dual tees on each hole. I recently built one just like it, and did not even consider calling mine an 18 holer... This should be changed IMO
Other Thoughts: Trash cans everywhere, bathrooms in the center of the park, ample parking give the amenities portion a passing grade in my book.

The concrete tees are nice, some are showing wear and have need of repairs, but overall they are more than adequate and better than many courses I've played.

Overall, a reasonable course that is very limited by the available land - But I really can;t seem to get over the false advertising that this is an 18 hole course. I would be highly disappointed to travel to a tournament here and discover that fact the morning of the event...

High Utility

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is a high utility course, in two ways. One is that it is a very residential area. I'm sure tons of people live in walking distance of ark Circle. If I was one of those people, I would be extremely grateful that this course exists.

It's also vary utilitarian in its use of space. When I got out of the car at hole one, and saw the space in between streets, I rolled my eyes and thought, "what have I gotten myself in to?" Fortunately only hole one was in that particular block: each hole after that was in its own area of grass.

And the majority of the holes are decent, they do a good job of making it so you won't throw into the road without a terrible botch.
Cons: But decent is as good as the holes get. They're creative in as far as using the space available. In comparison to most courses, they are bland and uniform. There's not much challenge, and not much length. Inevitable when each hole occupies a more or less identical plot of land.

The worst part, and I guess this is something locals would get accustomed to, is how close you are to active roads. These aren't interstates but they aren't back roads either and on any hole they are on either side of you. What's more, you have to cross a road in between each hole. There wasn't a point on the course that I didn't feel that I was about to bounce one off a moving car, even though I never came close.

It's also disingenuous to advertise this course as 18 holes. It's 9 holes. Alternate tees does not make additional holes. The tees aren't even that far apart from each other. If this course is 18 holes, than I 've played several 50 hole courses that mistakenly referred to themselves as containing 18.
Other Thoughts: I'm sure that courses like this spread the sport. I'm sure if I lived in the area, I would love that it was here. Is it a great course, nope.

Playing in traffic

1    6/1/2007   6/9/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Well-maintained park. Holes fairly open, but with enough trees and bushes to give you obstacles to work around and keep things interesting. Holes tend to be in the 275-325' category, best suited for moderate-level players. While there are no great holes, all are reasonably good. Routing is pretty easy to follow, as the course circles around a traffic circle. Very easy to find the course, too, as it's the bullseye on a map of North Charleston.
Cons: Aesthetics, for those who care. Course is in between rings of a traffic circle with 8 roads entering it, so each hole is on a segment of park surrounded by 4 roads, 1 or 2 of which will be busy. You have to cross a public street to walk to the next tee (with 1 exception). Really bad shots can find their way into traffic, and the sound of traffic is a constant.
Other Thoughts: For the area, this offers a simpler alternative to the very challenging Trophy Lakes (or West Ashley, which I have not played). You wouldn't make it a destination, but it's fine as a quick-9, or 18 if you play around both sets of tees.

pretty easy course

1    4/4/2009   4/15/2009
Review By: krazybronco
Pros: relativly short so good for beginners but will still challange better players becuase of the tightly protected greens
Cons: can be repeatative
Other Thoughts: i was hurting the day i played from doing the 10k copper river bridge run but still a fun course for a quick round

1    1/1/2009   1/1/2009
Review By: jimbob9631
Pros: Good short coarse for beginners
Cons: Dual teeboxes are not marked clearly and are dificult to find.
Other Thoughts: If your a beginner or just out to throw the disk around this is an ok coarse. If your looking for a little bit more of a challenge go elsewhere because anyone trying to play seriously will just end up annoyed with trying to find the teebox.