North Charleston, SC
3 / 355ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Free and fun

5+    7/28/2013   7/28/2013
Review By: diskchucker
Pros: This is a free course close to town. 9 baskets with 18 tee boxes. Challenging hole as well as easy ones. They move the baskets often to make things fun. Mostly open with some trees as well as some bush hazards. Great for an introduction to disc golf. Tuesday night the cdgc has a captains choice tourney that is full of friendly players.
Cons: Crowds at times and traffic can be a challenge as you navigate from island to island.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice to see repairs on sinage as vandals have destroyed most of them. concrete tee pads could use some TLC. This is a great course I endorse it and recommend it to skilled players as well as those new to the sport

sweet stop-over

1    6/15/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: chainedwraith
This review was updated on 7/25/2014
Pros: -Gorgeously manicured single-hole strips of land among suburbia that take 9 sections to make one full circle. 2 times around for 18 holes makes it a perfect fit for a nice disc golf course and size of the each strip of land is of adequate size for a disc golf hole.

- I didn't use any park amenities, but it appeared the park had all the standard park amenities across the street in the "inner circle" of the giant neighborhood round-a-bout.

- Navigation is extremely simple once you play a couple holes and figure out the sequence. Throw a hole, cross the street, check the sign or spray paint on the teepad for the hole#, throw a hole, cross the street, repeat. It takes 9 holes to complete the circle, then go around again from a different tee pad for 18.

- 2nd loop (back 9) from the alternate tee pads provides great change-up in shot requirements and optional lines to the basket compared to the 1st time around (front 9). It's not just simply short and long pads. Sometimes you throw from the more difficult shot during your 1st time around and vice versa.

- Definitely novice/rec/intermediate friendly, which is great for growing the sport, especially in suburban neighborhoods like this one. Advanced and pro level players will still have a great time shredding this course just from the sheer fun factor that almost every fairway provides.
Cons: - You are in a semi-busy neighborhood and you have to cross a street after every hole as you make your way around Park Circle. Not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
- Most tee signs were missing. It appears the course caretakers made up for this by spray painting the hole numbers on the concrete teepads, which is still helpful, but it doesn't exactly score points on the asthetics and informational categories that would otherwise force this comment into the pro column instead of the cons.
- I recall a teepad or 2 being a little cracked up and/or uneven enough to make me consider it on my run-up (I like to use the whole pad) but not enough to make it seem unsafe or anything.
- some of the bushes can be thick and hard to find your disc if unfortunate enough to land in them.
- Not much challenge to the advanced/pro player except maybe some short game work. It's a shame that it's not quite enough land to make it truly championship caliber. Not much can be done about this and I applaud the efforts that crafted this great course out of what was made available.

-looked as though the course could get crowded often at certain days/times. I was kindly allowed to play through a few groups that I came across on a late Saturday afternoon.
Other Thoughts: This course is nestled into a nice little suburb of North Charleston. I'm definitely glad I stopped by to play this course, as it was the closest to my hotel during my brief stay in that area. I would certainly put it on the worthy list for any other traveling disc golfer passing through this area.

Fun Course

1    10/21/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 10/5/2013
Pros: Nice variety of lines and shots, from open drives to tight windows. It was especially enjoyable to be able to play the same hole from multiple angles: what is an open, straightforward drive from one tee becomes a tight, technical shot on another. I found this change of perspective to be an enjoyable part of the course.

I thought they did a good job of minimizing the presence and threat of the road: I had been concerned about that going in (I'm still a pretty new player, and don't exactly have an entirely reliable release), but I never had to worry about chasing a disc into the road.

Overall, an enjoyable course.
Cons: I agree with the other reviews that congestion can be an issue. We had one hole where we let three groups play through us, just because things were getting a bit tight and rushed. This is the downside of having two tees per a basket.

I also thought that the length of the tees can be an issue as well. I don't consider myself to have a big run up (standard X-step), but I stepped off the second tee I threw on, and after a few more test throws, ended up driving in the grass next to the tees for the remainder of the course. I'm not adverse to driving from the grass - the ground was flat and clear enough that it wasn't a problem - but it seemed a shame that the concrete tees were effectively unusable for me.

Bushes were a bit much at times; I did a fair bit of digging for discs. Obviously this was my fault, but there were times when the bushes didn't really seem to add any constructive difficulty, and only served to be a pain
Other Thoughts: The circular design made it unusually easy to find the next hole, and lent a nice flow to the course overall.

Cool

1    7/11/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Great use of space to create 18 holes using 9 baskets. Beautiful park with azlaleas and cool looking trees. Good variety of shots too
Cons: Until I played this course I have never had to lay up a 15 foot putt because the basket is almost completely surrounded by bushes. There are signs in the park saying no trimming or cutting branches allowed. However, the azalea bushes around several of the baskets are just too much. By trimming some areas around the baskets and making a 'green' not only would the course be a lot more fun and less flukey, the azaleas would be healthier as they benifit from yearly trimming.
Other Thoughts: More signs at the tee pads would be helpful. Cool concept for a course, it is definitely unique!

Roundabout

1    6/26/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: dtomb
Pros: This course is wrapped around a recreation center, so if you have any trouble finding it, there is friendly help available. The tee pads are all concrete and well balanced to throw off of.
The locals are very friendly, and it is in a beautiful little group of neighborhoods with a very manicured landscape. the overall feel of the course was very enjoyable. The catchers were for the most part fairly easy to locate from the tee box, and the fact that it wrapped around the outside of a large roundabout which gave it a unique feel and allowed for the wind to be coming from all different directions making it a constantly changing variable. It was the best nine catcher course i have ever played (the tees were creatively placed for a different feel to the same hole).
Cons: The fact that it did wrap around a roundabout and through several neighborhoods also made local traffic a bit of a hassle, since you had to cross a fairly busy road between all but two holes. Some of the tees are put right on the edge of the sections of land between the roads and make it very easy for you to throw into the road if your drive is too vigorous or a little far to the right or to the left.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a wonderfully done course that has been put in a very creative location. There was an excellent variation in long straight holes and shorter winding holes, all with a slight scattering of shrubs and trees throughout the course. Well done tee boxes, very nice catchers, available restrooms, but the thing that stuck out the most to me about this course is how friendly the locals were. I went on a rainy day and took several of my young cousins and my younger brother, and we were warmly welcomed by several of the course's more experienced players and they even asked if we wanted to play a round with them, in the weekly local tournament they hold where for a five dollar entry fee you will be paired with a pro and you play captains choice to win the pool of entry fees with bonuses for holes aced. All in all i highly recommend this course for anyone in the Charleston area and will be returning to it myself in the near future!

Play a round or play around.

2-4    10/22/2011   1/1/2011
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 10/22/2011
Pros: -Park Circle is located in around a recreation facility. It plays on the outer perimeter of the traffic circle.
-Wide and lengthy fairways. 250-372ft in length
-Bulletin Board@first tee
-Very nice scenery, the park itself is very enjoyable to take in.
-It is segregated from foot traffic and other park activities. (…though it's not a 100% guarantee)
-Has its challenges, yet it is not difficult.
-Despite being counted as a 9 hole course, the multiple tee's are situated to where it plays nicely as an 18
-Well maintained and clean. Garbage cans located throughout the course.
-Concrete tee pads and signs on most holes. (Signs consist of hole # and Distance only)
-Perfect for beginners, and still fun for advanced players.
-Extremely easy to navigate, and plays back to the starting point.
-Easy to locate
-The people I met at the course were very nice and friendly.
-One has the option of a quick 9 holes if necessary, (i.e. Lunch Break, before work, etc)
-Excellent pin locations. Some Pins are tucked around corners, behind bushes, or in the midst of a cluster of trees.
-Park Circle requires one to think about how to approach the basket. There are a variety of lines and obstacles to play around.
-Multiple pin placements
-Good "Fun Factor"
Cons: -Some of the pins can be hard to locate, due to them being located behind bushes, and trees. (first time issue only) Though you won't need it for navigation, a map could be handy for locating the pins.
-No way of knowing which position the pins are in. (I didn't see anything to let me know).
-No bathrooms or port-a-jons. I could have used one! (If there is, and I didn't see them, let me know.)
-Course is subject to congestion. Bottlenecks can really become an issue. I ended up joining the group in front of me. Since they were waiting on the group ahead of them to finish, and I was trying to stay ahead of the people behind me.
-Two tees per basket: Though, the pin placement is fine, you may run into a situation where you are teeing off on the same basket as someone else. When we were on 17, people were waiting for us on 8. They share the fairway.
-Holes #5 and #6 share an block. It's could be very easy to go from 5 to 7 and not realize you just skipped 6. As repetitive as the course gets, it's easy to forget which hole you are on.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. It's a unique experience to play on the circle. Park Circle is the kind of course that you play, when you just want to grab your discs and have a fun enjoyable round. It's not extremely difficult, but the obstacles and distance will still offer up a satisfying challenge. Park Circle's "Fun Factor" had me wishing I had time for a second round. It's very easy to find, and makes for a very nice quick stop if you are traveling.

This is the kind of course that is for everyone to enjoy, including DG and Non-DG players alike. One could very easily take in a quick round over a lunch break. This is not necessarily a destination course, per say, but it is a course well worth playing. If you are coming to Charleston, allow yourself enough time to take in a round at Park Circle. You'll have fun, and you'll be on your way to the next course in no time.

A "Round" of Disc Golf

2-4    3/7/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: The course is pretty easy to follow. Since it plays around the outside of a traffic circle. You'll end up just walking around in a circle from hole to hole. If you are somewhat decent the traffic doesn't present a problem for hitting cars or being in the street much. I thought the course was very well taken care of, from the grass, bushes and trees, to the tee box and overall grounds. The baskets were well protected by trees and bushes(which some people might not like) but it really added strategy around the hole. All concrete tee boxes, and some holes felt totally different on the back 9 even though you end up shooting at the same basket as the front nine. Baskets were all in great shape.
Cons: Even though I said the traffic really wasn't an issue, I'd rather not be so close to moving vehicles, especially since you have to cross the street 8 times per 9 holes (although traffic isn't bad). Locals didn't seem to be big on letting a fast group by, and there were at least two groups of 7+ playing super slow. (I have no problem with big groups having fun, but let people play past you). No real birdie opportunites for the non-advanced, non-pro players. We made one birdie between 3 players over 3 rounds. Pretty much every hole uses the maximum amount of room given in that section.
Other Thoughts: Going in I thought I'd hate this course, but I was very pleased at the result. Next time I'm down in Charleston I'm sure my friend and I will hit this course. If your a decent player you can crank out 18 in probably an hour.

Playing the circle!

5+    4/1/2010   3/4/2010
Review By: JoshuaWayneHester
This review was updated on 11/24/2012
Pros: Park Circle is a very fast, fun course in the Charleston area.

1) No water hazzards.
2) No wildlife problems, with it being in the city.
3) Free admission.
4) Professional style PAR 3 coures.(PDGA)
5) Fun for beginners, but still difficult enough for better players.
6) Alot of trees to help prevent golf disc from flying into roads.
7) All tee's are now concrete (end of 2009)
8) Tuesday Doubles every week.
Cons: 1) Crossing the street from one course to another is difficult in heavier traffic (5pm).
2) Noisy with the motorist driving by.
3) All PAR 3's, can be difficult for weaker players.
Other Thoughts: A very fun course, Trophy Lakes is the other major course in Charleston.
I uploaded a custom Map/Scorecard combo to the link-file for this course...enjoy!