North Charleston, SC
Park Circle DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #2 (Taken 12/2010)
3 / 316ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Free and fun

5+    7/28/2013   7/28/2013
Review By: diskchucker
Pros: This is a free course close to town. 9 baskets with 18 tee boxes. Challenging hole as well as easy ones. They move the baskets often to make things fun. Mostly open with some trees as well as some bush hazards. Great for an introduction to disc golf. Tuesday night the cdgc has a captains choice tourney that is full of friendly players.
Cons: Crowds at times and traffic can be a challenge as you navigate from island to island.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice to see repairs on sinage as vandals have destroyed most of them. concrete tee pads could use some TLC. This is a great course I endorse it and recommend it to skilled players as well as those new to the sport

High Utility

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is a high utility course, in two ways. One is that it is a very residential area. I'm sure tons of people live in walking distance of ark Circle. If I was one of those people, I would be extremely grateful that this course exists.

It's also vary utilitarian in its use of space. When I got out of the car at hole one, and saw the space in between streets, I rolled my eyes and thought, "what have I gotten myself in to?" Fortunately only hole one was in that particular block: each hole after that was in its own area of grass.

And the majority of the holes are decent, they do a good job of making it so you won't throw into the road without a terrible botch.
Cons: But decent is as good as the holes get. They're creative in as far as using the space available. In comparison to most courses, they are bland and uniform. There's not much challenge, and not much length. Inevitable when each hole occupies a more or less identical plot of land.

The worst part, and I guess this is something locals would get accustomed to, is how close you are to active roads. These aren't interstates but they aren't back roads either and on any hole they are on either side of you. What's more, you have to cross a road in between each hole. There wasn't a point on the course that I didn't feel that I was about to bounce one off a moving car, even though I never came close.

It's also disingenuous to advertise this course as 18 holes. It's 9 holes. Alternate tees does not make additional holes. The tees aren't even that far apart from each other. If this course is 18 holes, than I 've played several 50 hole courses that mistakenly referred to themselves as containing 18.
Other Thoughts: I'm sure that courses like this spread the sport. I'm sure if I lived in the area, I would love that it was here. Is it a great course, nope.

sweet stop-over

1    6/15/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: -Gorgeously manicured single-hole strips of land among suburbia that take 9 sections to make one full circle. 2 times around for 18 holes makes it a perfect fit for a nice disc golf course and size of the each strip of land is of adequate size for a disc golf hole.

- I didn't use any park amenities, but it appeared the park had all the standard park amenities across the street in the "inner circle" of the giant neighborhood round-a-bout.

- Navigation is extremely simple once you play a couple holes and figure out the sequence. Throw a hole, cross the street, check the sign or spray paint on the teepad for the hole#, throw a hole, cross the street, repeat. It takes 9 holes to complete the circle, then go around again from a different tee pad for 18.

- 2nd loop (back 9) from the alternate tee pads provides great change-up in shot requirements and optional lines to the basket compared to the 1st time around (front 9). It's not just simply short and long pads. Sometimes you throw from the more difficult shot during your 1st time around and vice versa.

- Definitely novice/rec/intermediate friendly, which is great for growing the sport, especially in suburban neighborhoods like this one. Advanced and pro level players will still have a great time shredding this course just from the sheer fun factor that almost every fairway provides.
Cons: - You are in a semi-busy neighborhood and you have to cross a street after every hole as you make your way around Park Circle. Not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
- Most tee signs were missing. It appears the course caretakers made up for this by spray painting the hole numbers on the concrete teepads, which is still helpful, but it doesn't exactly score points on the asthetics and informational categories that would otherwise force this comment into the pro column instead of the cons.
- I recall a teepad or 2 being a little cracked up and/or uneven enough to make me consider it on my run-up (I like to use the whole pad) but not enough to make it seem unsafe or anything.
- some of the bushes can be thick and hard to find your disc if unfortunate enough to land in them.
- Not much challenge to the advanced/pro player except maybe some short game work. It's a shame that it's not quite enough land to make it truly championship caliber. Not much can be done about this and I applaud the efforts that crafted this great course out of what was made available.

-looked as though the course could get crowded often at certain days/times. I was kindly allowed to play through a few groups that I came across on a late Saturday afternoon.
Other Thoughts: This course is nestled into a nice little suburb of North Charleston. I'm definitely glad I stopped by to play this course, as it was the closest to my hotel during my brief stay in that area. I would certainly put it on the worthy list for any other traveling disc golfer passing through this area.

Quality for 9 hole course

5+    1/5/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Nice length. Not sure the official Par, but I usually play it as a Par 27. Lucky if I finish with a par. Usually end up with one or two birdies and one or two bogies.
- I like the location relative to I-526 and Montague Street, which is a cool place with a few restaurants. I usually park in one spot and walk from the course to the bars/ restaurants.
- The hole variety is limited but I like how the holes are oriented. Most have enough of an open fairway with some bushes lining the fairway and a nice tree or two near the baskets.
- Awesome course to play in the spring when all the azaleas are in bloom.
Cons: - I am not a huge fan of having to cross the street from hole to hole. The traffic varies, but with any busy road you get some who drive fast or don't use blinkers (minor pain).
- It is located in a park that has amenities such as a bathroom, but you never know if they will be open or not. (thank god for the thick azaleas) because course is located in a densely populated neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: - There are not too many 9 hole courses I go out of my way for, but this is one of them hence the high rating. Good spot to check out if you are in the Charleston area.

Fun Course

1    10/21/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 10/5/2013
Pros: Nice variety of lines and shots, from open drives to tight windows. It was especially enjoyable to be able to play the same hole from multiple angles: what is an open, straightforward drive from one tee becomes a tight, technical shot on another. I found this change of perspective to be an enjoyable part of the course.

I thought they did a good job of minimizing the presence and threat of the road: I had been concerned about that going in (I'm still a pretty new player, and don't exactly have an entirely reliable release), but I never had to worry about chasing a disc into the road.

Overall, an enjoyable course.
Cons: I agree with the other reviews that congestion can be an issue. We had one hole where we let three groups play through us, just because things were getting a bit tight and rushed. This is the downside of having two tees per a basket.

I also thought that the length of the tees can be an issue as well. I don't consider myself to have a big run up (standard X-step), but I stepped off the second tee I threw on, and after a few more test throws, ended up driving in the grass next to the tees for the remainder of the course. I'm not adverse to driving from the grass - the ground was flat and clear enough that it wasn't a problem - but it seemed a shame that the concrete tees were effectively unusable for me.

Bushes were a bit much at times; I did a fair bit of digging for discs. Obviously this was my fault, but there were times when the bushes didn't really seem to add any constructive difficulty, and only served to be a pain
Other Thoughts: The circular design made it unusually easy to find the next hole, and lent a nice flow to the course overall.

Cool

1    7/11/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: Steelo
Pros: Great use of space to create 18 holes using 9 baskets. Beautiful park with azlaleas and cool looking trees. Good variety of shots too
Cons: Until I played this course I have never had to lay up a 15 foot putt because the basket is almost completely surrounded by bushes. There are signs in the park saying no trimming or cutting branches allowed. However, the azalea bushes around several of the baskets are just too much. By trimming some areas around the baskets and making a 'green' not only would the course be a lot more fun and less flukey, the azaleas would be healthier as they benifit from yearly trimming.
Other Thoughts: More signs at the tee pads would be helpful. Cool concept for a course, it is definitely unique!

Roundabout

1    6/26/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: dtomb
Pros: This course is wrapped around a recreation center, so if you have any trouble finding it, there is friendly help available. The tee pads are all concrete and well balanced to throw off of.
The locals are very friendly, and it is in a beautiful little group of neighborhoods with a very manicured landscape. the overall feel of the course was very enjoyable. The catchers were for the most part fairly easy to locate from the tee box, and the fact that it wrapped around the outside of a large roundabout which gave it a unique feel and allowed for the wind to be coming from all different directions making it a constantly changing variable. It was the best nine catcher course i have ever played (the tees were creatively placed for a different feel to the same hole).
Cons: The fact that it did wrap around a roundabout and through several neighborhoods also made local traffic a bit of a hassle, since you had to cross a fairly busy road between all but two holes. Some of the tees are put right on the edge of the sections of land between the roads and make it very easy for you to throw into the road if your drive is too vigorous or a little far to the right or to the left.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a wonderfully done course that has been put in a very creative location. There was an excellent variation in long straight holes and shorter winding holes, all with a slight scattering of shrubs and trees throughout the course. Well done tee boxes, very nice catchers, available restrooms, but the thing that stuck out the most to me about this course is how friendly the locals were. I went on a rainy day and took several of my young cousins and my younger brother, and we were warmly welcomed by several of the course's more experienced players and they even asked if we wanted to play a round with them, in the weekly local tournament they hold where for a five dollar entry fee you will be paired with a pro and you play captains choice to win the pool of entry fees with bonuses for holes aced. All in all i highly recommend this course for anyone in the Charleston area and will be returning to it myself in the near future!

Great Use of Available Terrain

5+    6/22/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 12/15/2013
Pros: For a nine basket course, this layout gives a great variety using the separte tee pads. The front and back nines actually have a different feel to them, which is a rarity for nine basket loops.

Beautiful neighborhood and surrounding area.

Nice concrete tee pads.

New course signs

Very well maintained areas - one of the best manicured courses I've played.

The bushes around the course are incredibly penal...which makes what seems to be a wide-open layout into a difficult course if you miss in the wrong spots.
Cons: The obvious: only nine baskets.

Signs are often missing, so it is difficult to tell which tee pad you should pick (although it remedies itself somewhat if you just play each one twice). We used the course map online to help. EDIT 11/25/13 - now there are hole signs, but the distances are wildly inaccurate...so its almost as bad as not having them

Difficult to see some of the baskets...especially some of the alternate ones.

The basket behind the trees on hole 1 is a bit ridiculous...that approach is a bit of a gimmick. That basket has now been moved.

The new hole signs are wildly inaccurate on some holes...that's pretty disappointing

Because it is a 9 basket loop, the course can get crowded with only a small number of groups on the course.

Lots of roads and parking areas are close to the course...I had an errant throw which got my disk ran over. It requires you to occasionally be mindful of traffic.

Edit: The concrete tee pads are in a bit of disarray on a few of the holes and could definitely use some TLC...especially #3.
Other Thoughts: Very well designed and well thought out layout combined with well kept course makes this very enjoyable and quick to play.

This is one of the best 9 basket courses that I've seen.

Edit: After playing this course multiple more times...I am always reminded of one thing. How bad the 1st/10th hole basket placement is. 300 ft to a wall of inpenetrable trees with only a 2 foot opening...that is just silly and not really sporting.

Edit: It now looks like the basket on 1/10 has been moved well left, assumedly to the alternate position. Here is to hoping it stays there.

Fun course

5+    3/21/2012   3/24/2012
Review By: bacord18
Pros: This course is pretty beginner friendly. Most of the holes are wide open and the bushes aren't too thick. The baskets are moved around every once in a while to change things up. Very easy to navigate (its a circle).
Cons: Since this is on a traffic circle, you have to cross a street after every hole. Course can become very crowded since there are only 9 holes. Bees everywhere! There are hundreds of azalea bushes that attact bees, so be careful (no pun). Signs need to be replaced on some holes. Some tee boxes are cracked.
Other Thoughts: Not bad for a free course. It is pretty fun to play with some friends. Definitely a good course to start, if you have never played disc golf before.

nice n easy

1    11/12/2011   11/12/2011
Review By: ryborg
Pros: most fairways are pretty open, no mandos or close trees to the tees. All of the open space makes drives fairly easy. No crazy hard shots at all. Definitely not an advanced course. Big plus is that it is hard to lose a disc. No water hazards.
Cons: 9 baskets, 18 tees. surrounded by roads on both sides, all of the time. So, you might pop a car if you're not careful. Some of the yardages didn't seem accurate, but whatever. All tees are concrete, but many of them were cracked and busted.
Other Thoughts: not hard to find, but I did have an issue determining where the first tee was. I would definitely play again.

< Prev 1 2 3 4