North Charleston, SC
Park Circle DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #17
Hole #17 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4
decent course in the middle of traffic

1    8/6/2013   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
Pros: many chances for birdies
good tee pads
option for 18
Cons: lots of traffic can force you to wait after every hole
very flat
Other Thoughts: this course is average with chances to score well. there are 9 baskets with 18 tee pads. not worth the drive from John's Island. good for a quick round

Park (Traffic) Circle

2-4    7/6/2013   7/6/2015
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: This is a decent course in a really unique location. Are there any other courses set completely within a giant traffic circle? While it is unique, I don't know that I would advocate for more courses to be built in traffic circles.

I'm a big believer in playing courses that match your ability. I don't enjoy playing super-challenging, long, tightly wooded courses -- even if they are pro-caliber -- because I'm not good enough to play the course how it's meant to be played. Park Circle is a course that beginners and intermediate players will enjoy. While I am not a fan of the traffic circle concept, the course itself is nice. There are typical lowcountry trees, flowers and vegetation -- enough to pose a challenge, but not enough to make it an overly difficult course for the types of players who are likely to play here.

Navigation isn't an issue at all...just keep walking around the circle!
Cons: Constant traffic noise and having to cross the road a bunch of times during the round: does this sound relaxing? You don't realize how much the peaceful, serene settings of most disc golf courses add to the enjoyment of the game until you play a course surrounded by a traffic circle.
Other Thoughts: If you live in Charleston or visit the area, this course is worth playing. However, based on reviews I've read of nearby courses, there are better options in terms of challenge and, especially, serenity.

Playing in Circles

5+    6/16/2015   7/1/2015
Review By: Apsey
Pros: - Centrally located course. Easy to get to if you're visiting Downtown Charleston or surrounding areas.

- Decent mix of Hyzer and Anhyzer shots. Several holes have alternate pin placements which make big differences in the way the hole is played. It's not just moving a basket closer or further. The alternate placements usually change the shot to a flick or turnover shot, while adding or subtracting a little distance.

- You can play multiple rounds really quickly. I think if I'm playing solo my average round takes between 30-40 minutes.

-Though it's an 18 hole course with 9 baskets, the different tee pads to an excellent job of changing the look of the hole. You don't feel like you're playing the same hole twice to get your 18 in.

- Because there are only 9 baskets, it makes it a very easy course for first timers and out of towners to play. Most baskets are visible from the tee pads, and once you've thrown the first 9, you have an idea of your landing zones for the back 9.

- This is probably the best draining course in the "Low Country". When all other courses have standing water, you can usually bet that this course will still be playable.

- Great course for beginners. Most holes aren't too long. No water hazards. Holes are pretty wide open so I'd say a lost disc would even be a difficult thing to achieve.

- Free to play

- Amenities are available on the inside of the round about in the Rec center.
Cons: - For more experienced players, this course may not be much of a challenge. Holes are pretty wide open and it's easy to turn shanked drives into pars.

- Though the streets aren't super busy, you do have to cross a street after almost every hole played. This could also be a con if you're playing with small children.

- Since you're playing around a roundabout, you lose that "hiking with a purpose" feeling that Disc Golf is great for. You're never not around traffic when you're playing this course.

- The course is un-playable for a month during the holidays while they have their annual Christmas Light Show up.

- For at leas the past year, there are only 17 tee pads. One of them broke so the City removed it. Still hasn't been replaced. You have to tee off from a dirt spot next to the tee sign.

- I haven't tested them, but the distances on the tee signs seem like they could be off a bit. It could also be because there is only 1 distance on them and some of the holes have multiple pin placements. I'm not sure which ones were the original to know which one the sign would be referring to.

- Tee signs are just painted pieces of wood in the ground with the hole number, and distance. Limited information. Not too much a bad thing since all of the holes are easily seen from the tee pad, but it would be nice to have the added distances and pin placements on there as well.

- A couple of the baskets are a little wonky. Like maybe they were hit by a city workers truck, or lawn mower etc. They aren't horrible, but to someone easily distracted while putting it could be tricky on the eyes.

- The course gets a lot of traffic. Which is good, but when you're sharing 9 baskets for 18 tee pads you're twice as likely to get held up out there by slower players or big groups.
Other Thoughts: Park Circle is a fun course for a lot of people. It's a great course for newer players to learn and fall in love with the game. The City seems to be really helpful in planning events and such as well, easy to work with. I play this course from time to time when I'm trying to work on a new throw or iron out some issues in technique as it is a very forgiving course.

The Niner x2 Circle

1    5/18/2015   6/26/2015
Review By: Jiggy202
Pros:
-Course plays around a well landscaped large circle park twice.
-The 9 pin positions were well thought out to make the holes different.
-Decent concrete tee pads at just about every every hole.
-Tee signs/markers at every teepad with distances on them.
Cons:
-Had to cross a road after almost every hole, most of the time without crosswalks.
-There is also a chance of your disc ending up in the road or hitting a car if you have a bad shot.
-This is really a 9 hole course with 2 different tee pads for each basket. This can causes problems when the course gets busy. You can have 2 groups ready to play from both teepads.
This is a pretty alright course. With the limited land, and flat elevation, it still offers a fun round of disc golf. The course does not offer a whole lot of variety, but it's laid out well enough to make every hole a little different. This is a good course for beginners or for intermediate/ advanced players who want to work on their short game. The fact that its listed as 18 holes irks me because it is definitely only 9. Having to cross the road after every hole was a bit annoying during peak hours. The course is in a pretty busy area seems to attract a lot of local players in the evenings. Was able to play "the first nine" with almost no waiting then we started running into other groups trying to play 10-18.

Mis-leading as an 18 holer

2-4    2/11/2015   4/1/2015
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Nice baskets, and most all tees are concrete and in fairly decent shape (and large enough for the course). Two tee pads on every hole.

Good tee signs that seemed accurate distances, mostly...

Excellent use of the land available, as the course is quite tightly packing into 8 segments of land in between roads. Very good use of what s available, but not the most idea property for a disc golf course. None the less, well done job by the designers and proposal to get a course in such a high foot traffic and busy streets, with homes just across the roads every where.
I would figure that this course generates many newer players as its highly visible from the roads, and the locals must be very well aware of disc golf just by driving past baskets...

I purposely played this course over Trophy Lakes while in Charleston for business on a one day trip - I am in process of designing a course on a slightly larger park, with similar high foot traffic and roads/homes in close proximity. So I learned what I came there to see and learn - that was gold for me.
Cons: I do think the designers tried to cram a harder, longer course into the property, with other courses nearby; there is a possibility that this course might be best as a beginner/noob design with very short holes and less change for throwing past each basket into vehicles - which I did several times...
I did find that despite traveling with 4 discs, I really only used two of them and would not use/need a full bag for a tournament. Many of the holes felt similar distance and I felt like there was very little variety in shot selection here. But to defend the designer, there is really not much you can do when you have a road breaking up the land every 350 ft... So land locked is what I would call it, not poor design.

Where as I listed the design as a pro, the available land is the con here.

Advertising this as an 18 hole course is entirely mis-leading. Had i not read the reviews and searched out this course, I would've been highly disappointed.
This is a 9 holes course, with dual tees on each hole. I recently built one just like it, and did not even consider calling mine an 18 holer... This should be changed IMO
Other Thoughts: Trash cans everywhere, bathrooms in the center of the park, ample parking give the amenities portion a passing grade in my book.

The concrete tees are nice, some are showing wear and have need of repairs, but overall they are more than adequate and better than many courses I've played.

Overall, a reasonable course that is very limited by the available land - But I really can;t seem to get over the false advertising that this is an 18 hole course. I would be highly disappointed to travel to a tournament here and discover that fact the morning of the event...

and the wheel goes round and round

2-4    9/18/2014   9/22/2014
Review By: Dickie B
Pros: Beautiful landscaping with lots of azalea bushes and magnolia trees.
Open fairways are they are clean and well attended.
Baskets are "like-new" condition.
Concrete tee pads. All holes (except hole 6 that we totally missed) are well marked with distance)
Great mix of shots and holes run from around 200 to over 300, so there's lots of room for birdies if you hit your lines.
The course is perfectly flat so "out of shapers" can enjoy basically a walk in the park.
Easy access from Charleston (30 min?) go up I26, off at Monteague Ave, and continue a couple of miles till your run into the roundabout.
Restrooms are in the center of the roundabout as are sports fields, so no need to "water" the bushes.
Cons: This course is basically a 9 holes course that has 2 tee pads per basket. Players on hole 1/basket 1 have to wait on players playing hole 10/basket 1. The wait isn't all that long though.
This is a course set up around a roundabout traffic circle and the holes play on the grounds between each road that intersects with the traffic circle. But there are only 9 roads entering the circle which, if you do the math, only leaves 8 areas for holes. Indeed one of the holes, I think it is 5/6 play the same area and if you don't know this, you will blow right by 6 and go to 7, which we did . . . twice.
Of the 8 roads leading into the circle, only one of them has a cross-walk. You take you chances crossing the road on the other 7. We were challenged by cars at almost every crossing and of course, had to wait as drivers almost NEVER give the right of way to pedestrians.
We ran into severaly places with lots of ants, and of course mosquitoes were in play as well.
Other Thoughts: On 2 of our rounds, there was only 3 groups playing and we never had to play through or allow playing through, so we had very smooth play and it was great! On all 3 of our other rounds, we had to let players through. Of course there were 4 of us and only 1 of them, so that's pretty normal.
This is a picturesque course that was a blast to play and we enjoyed if very much.
I highly recommend this course to anyone going to Charleston, S.C.

Free and fun

5+    7/28/2013   7/28/2013
Review By: diskchucker
Pros: This is a free course close to town. 9 baskets with 18 tee boxes. Challenging hole as well as easy ones. They move the baskets often to make things fun. Mostly open with some trees as well as some bush hazards. Great for an introduction to disc golf. Tuesday night the cdgc has a captains choice tourney that is full of friendly players.
Cons: Crowds at times and traffic can be a challenge as you navigate from island to island.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice to see repairs on sinage as vandals have destroyed most of them. concrete tee pads could use some TLC. This is a great course I endorse it and recommend it to skilled players as well as those new to the sport

High Utility

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: This is a high utility course, in two ways. One is that it is a very residential area. I'm sure tons of people live in walking distance of ark Circle. If I was one of those people, I would be extremely grateful that this course exists.

It's also vary utilitarian in its use of space. When I got out of the car at hole one, and saw the space in between streets, I rolled my eyes and thought, "what have I gotten myself in to?" Fortunately only hole one was in that particular block: each hole after that was in its own area of grass.

And the majority of the holes are decent, they do a good job of making it so you won't throw into the road without a terrible botch.
Cons: But decent is as good as the holes get. They're creative in as far as using the space available. In comparison to most courses, they are bland and uniform. There's not much challenge, and not much length. Inevitable when each hole occupies a more or less identical plot of land.

The worst part, and I guess this is something locals would get accustomed to, is how close you are to active roads. These aren't interstates but they aren't back roads either and on any hole they are on either side of you. What's more, you have to cross a road in between each hole. There wasn't a point on the course that I didn't feel that I was about to bounce one off a moving car, even though I never came close.

It's also disingenuous to advertise this course as 18 holes. It's 9 holes. Alternate tees does not make additional holes. The tees aren't even that far apart from each other. If this course is 18 holes, than I 've played several 50 hole courses that mistakenly referred to themselves as containing 18.
Other Thoughts: I'm sure that courses like this spread the sport. I'm sure if I lived in the area, I would love that it was here. Is it a great course, nope.

sweet stop-over

1    6/15/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: chainedwraith
This review was updated on 7/25/2014
Pros: -Gorgeously manicured single-hole strips of land among suburbia that take 9 sections to make one full circle. 2 times around for 18 holes makes it a perfect fit for a nice disc golf course and size of the each strip of land is of adequate size for a disc golf hole.

- I didn't use any park amenities, but it appeared the park had all the standard park amenities across the street in the "inner circle" of the giant neighborhood round-a-bout.

- Navigation is extremely simple once you play a couple holes and figure out the sequence. Throw a hole, cross the street, check the sign or spray paint on the teepad for the hole#, throw a hole, cross the street, repeat. It takes 9 holes to complete the circle, then go around again from a different tee pad for 18.

- 2nd loop (back 9) from the alternate tee pads provides great change-up in shot requirements and optional lines to the basket compared to the 1st time around (front 9). It's not just simply short and long pads. Sometimes you throw from the more difficult shot during your 1st time around and vice versa.

- Definitely novice/rec/intermediate friendly, which is great for growing the sport, especially in suburban neighborhoods like this one. Advanced and pro level players will still have a great time shredding this course just from the sheer fun factor that almost every fairway provides.
Cons: - You are in a semi-busy neighborhood and you have to cross a street after every hole as you make your way around Park Circle. Not that big of a deal once you get used to it.
- Most tee signs were missing. It appears the course caretakers made up for this by spray painting the hole numbers on the concrete teepads, which is still helpful, but it doesn't exactly score points on the asthetics and informational categories that would otherwise force this comment into the pro column instead of the cons.
- I recall a teepad or 2 being a little cracked up and/or uneven enough to make me consider it on my run-up (I like to use the whole pad) but not enough to make it seem unsafe or anything.
- some of the bushes can be thick and hard to find your disc if unfortunate enough to land in them.
- Not much challenge to the advanced/pro player except maybe some short game work. It's a shame that it's not quite enough land to make it truly championship caliber. Not much can be done about this and I applaud the efforts that crafted this great course out of what was made available.

-looked as though the course could get crowded often at certain days/times. I was kindly allowed to play through a few groups that I came across on a late Saturday afternoon.
Other Thoughts: This course is nestled into a nice little suburb of North Charleston. I'm definitely glad I stopped by to play this course, as it was the closest to my hotel during my brief stay in that area. I would certainly put it on the worthy list for any other traveling disc golfer passing through this area.

Quality for 9 hole course

5+    1/5/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: DNewq
Pros: - Nice length. Not sure the official Par, but I usually play it as a Par 27. Lucky if I finish with a par. Usually end up with one or two birdies and one or two bogies.
- I like the location relative to I-526 and Montague Street, which is a cool place with a few restaurants. I usually park in one spot and walk from the course to the bars/ restaurants.
- The hole variety is limited but I like how the holes are oriented. Most have enough of an open fairway with some bushes lining the fairway and a nice tree or two near the baskets.
- Awesome course to play in the spring when all the azaleas are in bloom.
Cons: - I am not a huge fan of having to cross the street from hole to hole. The traffic varies, but with any busy road you get some who drive fast or don't use blinkers (minor pain).
- It is located in a park that has amenities such as a bathroom, but you never know if they will be open or not. (thank god for the thick azaleas) because course is located in a densely populated neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: - There are not too many 9 hole courses I go out of my way for, but this is one of them hence the high rating. Good spot to check out if you are in the Charleston area.

< Prev 1 2 3 4