Hibbing, MN
North Hibbing DG Park Share
Uploaded By: Martin Dewgarita Hole #3 (Taken 6/2010)

Lookout! No, Really, Itís A Viewing Lookout.

1    6/28/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course is next to a beautiful mining area. There are a few lookout points and one is even right behind a tee pad for you to enjoy. This course has a "real tunnel" shot, lots of woods, a few open holes, great basket placements, and really uses the environment well. The wooded holes have narrow and wide fairways. The "real tunnel" hole actually has a concrete alley near the end of the hole to shoot through. The baskets are in good shape. The tee signs are fantastic. These have the aerial maps and they show the holes near by as well. The are concrete tee teeing areas for the short and long tees
Cons: The final basket has a silly giant tractor tire surrounding it in an attempt to be something different. It is more just a pain to retrieve your disc with it there. This is not a negative actually, but there are some tee pads that are painted out on some old building foundations. So watch for those when looking for the next tee. If you make sure you check the maps before leaving the tee, you should not have much of a navigation issue. If you don't keep an eye on this, you may get lost a few times.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor was good. There were a few holes that made you want to throw again, if for no other reason, but to see if you could have done better navigating the trees. I truly like these types of holes. This was a really decent course and I would certainly play here again given the opportunity.

Nice History

1    10/17/2010   10/19/2010
Review By: Tret4653
Pros: Excellent use of the terrain and historical features of the site.
Information signs, benches, garbage cans and recycling bins at each tee. Racks to hang your bag at many tees, and junior tees in addition to Rec and Pro at a couple holes. Direction signs at most holes to guide players to the next set of tees.
Course takes longer to play than most because we spent time reading all the historical info at each hole, and checking out the views.
Plenty to do nearby if there are non-players in your party.
Red, yellow, and orange discs can be hard to find in the fall when the leaves are on the ground, but it does look great.
Cons: Several tees and holes have been relocated since the map was made, and the maps and photos were placed at each tee. It pays to scout the holes you can't see wether you've played the course previously or not.

Probably my favorite so far

1    7/6/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: Astus Vulpi
Pros: NO WATER HAZARDS, the course is very well laid out, every tee marker has some historic little factoid that is fun to read about while you wait for people before you to finish up, located near the Knitting Knight Disc Golf store, a great place to go if you want to play a long 18 holes and do a bit of hiking at the same time, bathroom located near the 12th hole, maps located on tee stands.
Cons: Easy to lose discs in the woods, hiking makes you thirsty, takes forever to find a disc in heavily wooded areas (which is where it will end up if you throw it poorly)
Other Thoughts: If you are gonna play this course, be sure to have a few things to drink on you, especially if it is warm out. all of that hiking makes you thirsty. You may also want to stop into the Knitting Knight and pick up a scorecard and map of the course.

Gorgeous Iron Range Course

1    7/3/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: deadbody
Pros: Great looking course, multiple Cement tees and basket locations, good use of elevation, and historical significance. Pretty good signs that show the hole locations and tell you what pin it is. Gorgeous views, very nice locals. Not too many long holes, really only a couple. Mostly shortish and very wooded. Very easy to lose a disc in the heavy woods.
Cons: Most of the tee shots are blind. we played from the rec tees and still had to scout up almost every hole to see where the pin was, the signs while good are tough for a non-local to consider since you have to figure out where the pin is in relation to the openings (since on many holes there are at least 2 openings you could throw through). We played with a local guide and it helped, but had we been playing on our own it would have been very rough.
Other Thoughts: I thought about this review for a bit before posting as I played terrible in part due to the oppressive heat and humidity the day we played, and combined with the sunburn I got through my shirt in a couple places I didn't enjoy the course as much as I think I should have. I will be making another trip to the range later this year and playing again here, I may adjust my review at that time.

Overrrated and Overhyped, but still a good course.

1    6/24/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: himynameismatt
Pros: Good but not great teepads, most are concrete and all are of uniform length and width. Also every holes has a Pro Tee that's generally much further back.

Baskets are great, the same ones used at my local course. Except they had the hole number on top, and the par of each hole is written on the back, which was nice for new comers to course who might forget.

Benches, ashtrays, and garbage cans at each teepad which I thought was a very nice touch. My local courses in Portland, OR have quite a bit of litter.

Fantastic signage, that show not only footage and par. But pictures of what the area looked like when the mine was still active.

Good variety of shots required you'll use every disc in your bag for this course.

The locals are all very friendly from the middle-school aged twins who pointed us in the right direction of the 1st tee, to the two some behind us who let us follow them throughout the course. As they were leaving and we were walking to the 18th they even stopped on their way out and told us to have a nice day etc.

Plays fairly quickly for an 18 hole course with little walking between the last basket and the next tee. My brother and I finished our round in a little more than an hour, and that was only because we had to search for discs.

Incredible views of the Hull Rust Iron Mine throughout the course.The ruins of old buildings add a rustic touch which I found to be quite fun. And it was fairly well maintained despite not being in a major metropolitan area.
Cons: I found the course fairly challenging, but most of the the tees were clear and wide open. No low ceiling or really tight tunnels right off the tees. Pretty much just grip it and rip it.

Not particularly technical. What makes these holes hard is their length, If I could throw 400' consistently I would destroy this course. (currently at about 325'-350')

Lots of high grass and thick vegetation, which advanced players might find enjoyable. However for an intermediate player like myself who still shanks the occasional drive...Expect to spend some time looking for discs.

Due to the thick vegetation, If you're ant out-of-towner like I am, I ended up throwing a lot of conservative drives with discs I could live with losing. This definitely affected my score.

13 Is pretty much only playable with a Tomahawk or Thumber as the view to the pin is heavily overgrown. We threw from the Jr. tee just because I didn't even want to risk losing a disc.

Other Thoughts: I'm only reviewing this course with slight bias, as I'm an out-of-towner who's been spoiled by gems like Pier Park, Milo McIver, and Horning's Hideout, all less than an hour away from me.

Not a lot of elevation change, and the heavily wooded front 9 play so differently than the wide open back 9 they might as well be labeled as different courses.

So when compared to most of the nearby courses it's a 5/5, however, when compared to my local courses back home I found North Hibbing to only a hair away from being a great course.

A history buff myself self I got a kick out of playing on historic grounds and old building foundations. However if you have legitimate home courses you might be a little disappointed by this place.

However don't let that stop you from visiting this place. If you're in the area its absolutely a must see. But I wouldn't go out of my way to play it.

History, obvious care by local players

2-4    6/22/2009   6/26/2009
Review By: bollwyvl
Pros: Beautifully maintained course, very friendly local players. Wildflowers, diverse tree species are preserved in many places, giving the course a very organic feel. The ruins provide some interesting course design choices, and many holes have both a B and C pin location for added challenge. The signage is excellent throughout. Many baskets are protected by small trees making precise and creative putting necessary.
Cons: The focus on technical tree and other obstacle shots is pronounced, so you may only drive on a handful of these holes from the front tees. Some uneven terrain can be slippery under wet conditions, and some of the pin locations can be hard to find, even with the map.
Other Thoughts: For added challenge, ruins/foundations are played as water hazards, especially relevant on 18 and 13(?). The course is adjacent to an RC airplane field, so you might see some tiny helicopters, dirigibles or planes around. Also nearby is the Greyhound Bus Origin Museum, if you need somewhere to leave non-golfers while you play.

7/11/2008   7/11/2008
Review By: masterP
Pros: I like how it had signs on were to start. It had practice putting. It was right next to very nice outlooks. You are always on history, of the old town. The posts next to the tee offs told you were the hole was and also what building used to be there from the old town.
Cons: If they trimmed the trees it would be the ultimate.
Other Thoughts: Hole # 1 had a very nice outlook of the mine. Hole # 14 is a perfect hole for a thumber. Hole # 16 is right on the old school. Take your time on this course to think of what you are playing on.

Fun Fact: The reason they moved the town to were it is now is because the mine was getting to close to the old town.

History with Disc Golf

7/4/2008   7/10/2008
Review By: theculliganman
Pros: Every hole has a cement tee some of them are located on old foundations or sidewalks. There is a variety of wooded and open holes. A couple of the holes have a very good view of the Hull Rust mine. The tees there have very clear pictures of where the hole is. The grass is kept short and it is usually really easy to find your disc.
Cons: There are not very many courses nearby.
Other Thoughts: The course is located in downtown North Hibbing(100 years ago downtown). The whole town was moved a while back to make room for the Hull Rust open pit mine. The mine never expanded that far so now there is a bunch of old foundations, sidewalks, street lights and even the old school stairs. At each tee they have a picture of what you would have been looking at in the old town of North Hibbing. North Hibbing DG Park is interesting history lesson with a fun and challenging disc golf experience.