Tahoe Vista, CA
North Tahoe Regional Park Share
-- / 300ft. Par / Distance:

Rugged, Challenging Course, Alright!

1    8/17/2012   9/11/2012
Pros: Starting at # 10 like the locals advise, I missed the big hike up to # 1. The course features a course sign at the parking lot, bathrooms, rubber mats, tee signs with pictures. The signs also had the A-B-C pin location wheels which I find to be very helpful although on this course sherpas would've been helpful too. The view from the top of # 17 is epic with Lake Tahoe glistening in the distance with boaters and para-sailers. The hole itself should be a world class epic hole if the basket were visible far below but with the basket placement in the far left position (blind) you're just chucking your disc down into the trees and hoping for a lucky break. I was very disappointed, especially after the EPIC climbs it took to get to this point.
Hole # 1 is a great hole. It's Epic or close to epic, probably 300' to a visible basket in a grove of pines far, far below.
I loved the engineering that went into # 8 with the bench and teepad being built into the hillside.
Many players will love the challenge, both playing and physical, that makes this course what it is.
Cons: This course had far too many design flaws for me to ignore. In general the navigation was sketchy starting right away after # 10. There is a par-course trail that intertwines with the course on holes 11-15 and that was confusing.
# 11 plays along a dirt road. I'm never a fan of holes that play along existing roads or trails or parking lots. (See # 18 and # 9 below)
# 12 sign was faded and illegible.
# 15 & # 16 were back to back, straight up the mountain climbs. Yes, they're challenging but no-one enjoys throwing uphill.
# 17: For all it's EPIC beauty, And it truly breathtaking, the actual throw into the trees was a total disappointment for me. Heaving my disc 400' downhill into a grove of pine trees with no knowledge of where the basket is not my idea of fun. ***NOTE*** I lucked out and parked it here for a gimee birdie. I still received very little satisfaction out of that throw.
I was even more disappointed with # 18. It's like 700-1000' downhill hole, then plays across an asphalt road and a construction yard. Does anyone think that's a beautiful hole?
# 6 was another hole where the basket was hidden. Playing here the first time, I would have really enjoyed this hole had the basket been visible. It's a beautiful disc golf hole waiting to happen.
Were # 7 and # 9 long just for the sake of being long? And is there a reason for # 9 to play across a gravel lot? I found it a sad way to end my round.
Other Thoughts: First thing, I admit, this is not the course to tackle by yourself the first time through. Spotters and a local to guide me through would have certainly enhanced my experience here. I would love to see some navigational signs added here and there. Maybe a couple less blind basket positions.
In conclusion, If you're looking to test your disc golf skills and challenge yourself, I recommend North Tahoe. Just be advised, the course is not for the faint of heart.

Decent course, in an amazing setting

5+    10/11/2009   3/15/2010
Review By: cjskier
Pros: -Amazing location, in the mountains of north Lake Tahoe. Incredible views on some holes.
- Good variety of holes, about 6 holes have decent elevation changes.
-Back 9 are really nice, tightly treed holes.
-Good layout around the park.
-Has its own regional online message board, http://northtahoediscgolf.ning.com /
-Can't say enough about the setting.
Cons: -Some holes on the front 9 can be VERY hard to find your disc, even with a spotter.
-Some of the rubber tee-pads are not very level and smooth.
-18th hole, although a nice long finishing hole plays threw basically the dumping area for the park.
Other Thoughts: -Definitely a must play in your in the area. But do your self a favor and play all of the Tahoe area courses to get a real taste of what disc golf is like up here. Every course is VERY different.
-Afternoon mountain winds can really mess with your game...
-Watch where your disc goes carefully when playing holes 2-6, bushes and trees hide discs well.
-Enjoy the incredible views on whole 17!