Layout Extinct

Jacksonville, NC
Northeast Creek Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: riqr Hole #11 (Taken 2/2009)
Hole #11 Approach

1 2 Next >
 1001 ft.?

5+    2/14/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: BigJ198
Pros: The front nine works your ability to read the course and make good decisions and throws through a moderately wooded course. the backs lets you open it up...and I mean open it up!
Cons: 1. Mandos. I hate mandos and there are two on the front. A little thought in course development and one can avoid using mandos in the design.
2. Somewhat boring back nine. These holes show little imagination and seem to play only to those with distance.
Other Thoughts: I do like the the 1001 footer on the back. I have two or three real opportunities to card a three on this hole in my 8 years playing this course. The course can be confusing to navigate your first time out. nice evening course with the shade and usual breeze.

Semper Fi!

2-4    12/7/2008   1/7/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Nice course, mostly wooded, fairly challenging, easy to navigate, lots of Pine trees and flat terrain. Players who think they have big arms get a little exposed on the 1001 footer.
Cons: The holes are all pretty much the same till you get to the 1001 ft hole and you're like, "Where did that come from?"
Other Thoughts: I found a business card for KKK recruitment on one of the fairways, not sure what that was about. I wouldn't let that deter you from playing here though.

Not what I expected.

1    8/11/2008   8/13/2008
Review By: Mystery
Pros: The baskets were Innova Discatchers that were in great shape. The tees are made of concrete and about 3ft X 4ft or more. There are signs at the tee that include a map, distance, and par. I found that the inclusion of numbers on the back of the signs did help me find my way. The front nine begins as you tee from behind the parking lot towards a small creek that is between the basket and the tee. The 2nd hole was situated at the corner of the park entrance and the main road. The foliage required an anhyzer shot to the basket. The 3rd hole was a straight shot with the basket off to the left. The 4th hole was straight and tight with a possible anhyzer shot at the goal. The 5th hole was a short 211ft throw that had the basket protected by three dogwoods. The 6th hole was intended as a hard anhyzer to the basket, but you could come off of the corner of the box and attack it straight on with a tight accurate throw. I saw no sign of a mandatory, but one may be in play for local play. The 8th hole had two baskets in the fairway that creates confusion. The 9th hole was a straight shot over the creek with the basket shielded by a grove of trees. The 10th hole requires you to throw over the parking lot and tee box on your flight to the basket. The 11th hole is a good stretch at 567 ft and gets your arm warmed up for the 1001ft 13th hole. The 13th is a downhill shot under power lines towards the boat dock. It doesn't require much in flight control but is just about raw distance. I liked the 14th hole. After finishing the marathon 13th, you are required to throw uphill into the open to a basket that is mounted on a hill that is surrounded by trees. The entrance road can come into play on the next few holes as they play up through the thin stretch of trees. The 16th hole is a short shot along that road. The throw is only 196ft, but the basket is directly behind a row of bushes tall enough to cover all but the yellow band of the basket. The 18th hole is a nice throw back from the corner of the parking lot to a basket that is tucked to the right in trees by the road.
Cons: While I enjoyed playing my round here, I would be wary of playing this course if it was crowded. The layout is interesting, but it is jam packed. There are many tees that have the basket of another hole dangerously close. There are many holes that have multiple baskets in view. As a result, I found navigating the course to be problematic. It would help to have directional signs. I had trouble finding the first tee, but after 5 minutes of searching I discovered it behind the parking lot. When playing, I was unsure which of the three baskets that were visible from the 12th tee was the correct one. This was repeated on a number of holes. The sequence of holes from #11 through #16 utilized a thin, but long stretch of trees that were dotted by baskets. While the signature 1001ft 13th hole was interesting, it was wide open without much change. I noticed a stretch of land between the ball field and the dock that would have housed a couple of holes that could break the monotony of this stretch. However, this land may not be in the possession of the park to be utilized.
Other Thoughts: I am sure that many local players will not agree with my assessment, but I this course can be confusing without a local guide if played for the first time. I have heard about this course from a number of people and expected a different experience. I did have a good time and would definately play it again. I did not do a good job of recording both the par and pro par, so it would be nice if some locals could update it on the site.

2/16/2008   7/14/2008
Review By: caiman
Pros: Well signed and maintained. The front nine is moderatly wooded, requiring a variety of shots, with enough room for slight mistakes. The back nine is generally more open, although you still have to think a little bit on some holes. A very fun course to play.
Cons: Pro-caliber players may consider the course too easy.

The course parking lot comes into play on a couple of holes. I wouldn't be surprised if parked cars are occasionally dinged by flying discs. It might not be a bad idea to park across the street in the ballfield parking lot.
Other Thoughts: Hole #13 is 1,001 feet long, according to the tee sign. Whether that's a "Pro" or a "Con" is up to you. Personally, I like it, because it's fun to "let 'er rip" for one hole. It's also a quite memorable, and serves as the course's "signature" hole (whether that was their intent or not). Some people don't really care for it, though. Many holes on the back (including the infamous 13th) have no shade, so on a hot day, you'll probably be pretty winded by the time you get to the end.

I have to wonder if the hole is exactly 1,001 feet long, though...

3/23/2007   3/23/2008
Review By: kpkirishy
Pros: Nice front nine that requires various types of shots.
Cons: Some holes really crammed into others. other holes are hard to find and some are just plain long for no reason.

Decent beginner or practce course

7/27/2007   12/27/2007
Review By: turkey33
Pros: Nice setting with good shade on the front 9 if you're playing in the summer heat. I thought the front 9 in particular although short they required precision so it was good practice and fun to get around the trees.
Cons: The holes on the powerline including one monster on the back nine. It just felt like driving practice.
Other Thoughts: Was on vacation in Emerald Isle and I believe this is the closest course. Some other players I ran into said it was the only one with shade on a hot day.

1 2 Next >