Maryville, MO
NW Missouri State University Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #9 (Taken 3/2010)
4 / 354ft.   4 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

The Wind Bowl

1    5/14/2011   5/15/2011
Review By: Dan Ensor
Pros: It's a short walk; pins and tees are never more than a couple hundred feet from one another. They used some buildings, roads, and ball fields well to close off some shots that didn't have trees. It's not long, in general, but does have a couple of holes in the 450-600' range. Some tee shots are blind, but most baskets you can see from the tee. It's a very well marked course, apart from 1 tee placement that seems to have been moved (18).
Cons: Tee-pads are grass (and mud) and not very well marked (just a sign beside some worn grass). It's easy to put a disc somewhere it's hard to get. It's always windy in Maryville, and many baskets are on flat ground with no trees (I would like to see some hedges blocking the wind, and making approach shots tighter).
Other Thoughts: It was pretty miserable when I played it. Mid 30s (F), 30 mph winds, spitting rain. But the bathroom by #3 was heated, so I ran in there a few times. The only thing that flew close to decent was a flick (and my nuke when I was beside an embankment). Tomahawks wouldn't turn over, and if you threw a roller, it just tore off across a field whichever way the wind was blowing. Putting was attrocious. I believe this would be a good course if it weren't windy, but as I understand it, it's always windy.

Danger, Danger, Warning Will Golferson!

1    3/26/2010   4/8/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This course stretches around parts of the actual college and through some of the campus. Some of the holes have the most unusual obstacles. There are shots to be made around buildings, over parking areas, between soccer fields, and around bleachers (at least the day I played). It is a little like Urban Disc Golf on Campus. You have a bunch of wide-open shots, a couple of tunnel like shots, and there are some accuracy ones in there too. I can't tell you how crazy some of these holes are. On one hole you actually throw along a parking lot. (LOL, I would not park there if I were you.) On another hole you can actually bounce your disc off a building to help you stay in a tunnel shot longer. If it's windy the baseball field could suck your disc up over the fence and head out to center field. The baskets do have solar lights on top of them. I don't know if they work, but what a great addition. There are some bathrooms near the parking area in a small building in the back of the sports complex. The tee signs were really good at pointing out which basket you need to throw too. The tee areas were all grass, but in great shape.
Cons: OK, let's talk safety. If school is in, you are likely to have to wait to avoid hitting someone. On the hole along the building, hopefully no one comes out one of those doors once you have thrown. If there are cars in the parking areas, it is open season. Navigation is not the best. The tee signs do a fair job, but you really should bring a map. Some manmade obstacles will change day by day. I had folded up bleachers blocking my tee shot on one hole the day I was there.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor here is a bit odd. I had fun throwing on some of these holes. I actually played the bank off the building, well, because I just had too! I did play this course during Spring Break and there was hardly anyone around. So I had the place to myself. But with lots of people there…I am not sure how much of this course will actually be able to be played. I mean some areas depending on that day's functions may be somewhat inaccessible.

Really enjoyed this course...

2-4    1/14/2010   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Both grip and rip holes alongside some long technical shots. Very interesting in that so all of the holes are interspersed amongst the varying buildings/playing fields of the Northwest Missouri State University campus. All baskets have solar powered lights on top of them; so a round in the dark would be most enjoyable!
Cons: While not a con per se, there is a need to be careful on probably 10-12 of the holes or else you could end up skewering a building, automobile, or the occasional passer-by!
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course to play in that it is so different from a typical wide open or highly wooded course. If on a roadtrip from say KC to Omaha, this would be a worthwhile course to play on your way through rural Northwestern Missouri!