Sanford, NC

Fun course

5+    10/8/2011   10/8/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 5/12/2012
Pros: This course is a beginner friendly layout with excellent variety of open and technical holes that makes for a fun course to play. The front nine and 16-18 are short and technical while most of the back nine (10-15) are longer and slightly more open.

Holes 9 and 18 loop back to the parking lot so you can go play a quick nine if you want and you don't have to hike back to your car.

Lost disc risk is very low

Benches on every hole.

Most of the holes have fair and attainable lines and the greens are open enough that you won't find yourself with a wall of trees in front of you 20ft from the basket.

A lot of work is being done on the course to make it even better. There were signs of fresh cutting on 16 and 17 (or maybe a lot of fallin trees)

Concrete Tee-pads have been added on many of the holes (mostly the long ones)
Cons: many of the holes will be easy and short for the better players.

While there are concrete pads being put in not all of the holes have them (Doesn't affect my view on the course but some don't like natural pads) also some of the concrete pads are short and awkward.
Even though these are mostly on shorter holes there should still be more room

A few holes come very close to a busy road which could be a problem or danger if someone throws an errant shot.

Some of the tee pads are very close to the previous basket and someone could easily be hit.

I also don't remember seeing many trashcans if any on the course.
Other Thoughts: Overall it was a very fun course to play and was relatively well kept. Nothing fancy and not your championship caliber course but it is defiantly worth a stop if you're in the area

Decent little course

1    9/20/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Course layout is fairly intuitive - even with no map, you can pretty easily find the right hole.
- Distances on the
- Am teeboxes as well for beginners.
- Decent variation of tight, wooded, typical NC course for front nine and more open, air-out for the back nine (over the whole course, but somewhat repetitive - see below).
- Even though it was wooded, there is minimal underbrush, so there is minimal risk for losing a disk.
- 15 is a very cool hole - as mentioned in other reviews.
Cons: - Tee pad variations - the dirt was fine, some were under construction - I am somewhat concerned with how the paver blocks they were installing will wear over time (will they stay level?).
- Some of the front nine are a little repetitive - just another tight shots through trees.....
- Two holes (6 & 7 I think) throw parallel and within 50' of the busy street that you just drove on - bad news for an errant RHBH throw. I really don't like them
- The course is tight, and several of the teeboxes are very close to, or you backtrack back down the fairway to throw for the next holes, so it definitely would slow down heavy traffic (although it was empty when I played).
Other Thoughts: - one of the weirdest vibes I have gotten - I went mid-day mid-week, and there was a ton of traffic through the parking lotto the YMCA and a lot of "loitering cars" - people were just watching you. There was nobody on the course, which I like just fine, just concerned that if I "went missing", nobody 'cept the folks who done it would notice.
- The course has a "worn" feeling. All the baskets are there, some are missing the number. Would be nice to have signage with hole layout, or course map at the beginning instead of the old school sponsor's list.
- The course had some trees/branches down (holes 16 and 17) from either the spring tornadoes or Irene, but it was in decent shape considering the damage that was done in other parts of Sanford.
- Decent course - I wouldn't recommend just coming the the Triangle to play that course, but if you're here, you may as well!

Good Little Course

1    10/10/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: All Back Hand
Pros: A few ace runs but require a tight line, quiet and never crowded, 15 is a beautiful hole and worth bragging to friends about, good variety of throws
Cons: Not very many holes that challenge you distance wise, not much change in elevation other then 2 and 15
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the back 9 more then the front 9. Woods make you throw your line and make the lack of distance a littel more challenging, a nice course but only worth the trip out from Raleigh/Cary if you stop and play Swinging DBs or Buckhorn on way back.

Better than I expected

1    8/23/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: uncjibble
Pros: I went to this course for the first time expected a somewhat rundown course that was poorly designed. I was surprised as it was neither. The holes were fun to play, a birdie is possible on all yet its challenging enough that some trees cost me too many bogeys. The course is well maintained, I ran into the club playing doubles, I wish I had know about it!
Cons: Holes are short. The course uses elevation and trees to make it more challenging, but theres a lot of short holes. It would be nice to see some cement tees. As noted in other reviews theres a hole way too close to the road. I had a drive get away from me and I missed the road by a few feet.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me a lot of Kentwood in Raleigh. Short holes, but enough chances for you to screw up that it still has some challenge to it. The missing basket has been replaced!

Solid course

5+    5/8/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: kerplunk
Pros: Signs at every tee to indicate hole number and distance. Fairly easy to navigate, especially once you've played it once or twice. Good use of OB makes a fairly easy course more challenging. Despite what a previous reviewer stated, there is a well defined fairway on every hole, some of them are just very narrow as is typical of NC courses. Decent variety of shot types, and multiple "fairways" on many holes. I gave this course an extra .5 on my rating due to the very cool signature hole #15. As previously stated, Fins Firs and Feathers just up the road has great selection. Novice tee indicators. Very friendly and active locals.
Cons: Still majority natural tees, I believe. Scenery is not great as it is in the middle of town, but it is convenient to grab a quick lunch and play a second round. Only one layout, so I could see it getting boring. Hole 13 basket was stolen, but they brought another for the monthly I just played.
Other Thoughts: Saw a 5+ foot black snake near the basket of hole #2, so if you are scared of snakes pay attention. The duck flies at midnight. Go see Chuckster up at Fins Furs and Feathers right up the road, and have him show you the Spike Hyzer Cooler Competition Bag!

Decent Course, but.....

1    4/3/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: rjmimagery1
Pros: Short, concise, & *basically* to the point, course. With the exception of holes 10 & 11, I don't believe there's anything over 280 feet. Great course to work on short/medium range accuracy. Also, as previously stated, hole 15 is quite fun!
Cons: Quite a few: hole 13 is missing (as of 4/3/10), 4-lane road within 30 feet of a fairway, and again a 4-lane road within 30-40 feet of a hole, overall course layout (I haven't played that many courses, but I can still say that this is WAYYY too clustered. As a previous reviewer said, it would be rather hard to play the front nine with someone one hole ahead of you, without hitting them in the head.... Holes 1 through 9 all seem very repetitive. And, I believe it's hole #9 that has ABSOLUTELY no fairway, what-so-ever. If you don't over-hand it & hope for the best, I can't say you'll be anywhere near the vicinity of a decent putt.
Other Thoughts: I'm certainly appreciative of whomever made this course possible, as it is a disc golf course, where there aren't many others...however....the layout could have been drawn up a bit better. Hole 18 is very awkward, hole 15 is REALLY fun.

Just 3 discs

5+    11/15/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: My favorite thing is that I can play this course with 3 discs and shoot well. A great place to work on driving your putter, throwing thumbers/tomahawks and working on your short game. Short course that is easy to play and find your way around. I have never seen it crowded. Mostly wooded with a few WTF holes that are real tight. Enough variety to keep you from getting bored.
Cons: Natural tee pads. Can get muddy and lumpy. No great holes. A few holes are just straight and dull. 13 stands out as a hole that just kind of got thrown in where it could be fit. 12 and 14 aren't much better. They are just tucked a few feet in the woods to make it look interesting from a distance. Not real challenging though. Simple par, and a good shot at a 2 if you can throw around 225' with a little accuracy. Tee on 18 is on a little island in parking lot. I have had some pedestrian traffic cutting across fairway from parking lot. And they have no clue you are about to throw fast moving plastic at them.
Other Thoughts: Good change of pace if you don't want to play the challenging Buckhorn up the road 20 minutes. Good place to shoot for your ace. There are probably 5 or 6 holes where you have a legitimate chance at an ace.

Technical but easy

2-4    4/27/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 5/30/2009
Pros: Mostly wooded, some tight fairways, well maintained, very clean, easy to follow for the most part, not gorgeous but still a nice, pretty park. This is a very finesse oriented course, good for boning up on your mids and putters. Leave your drivers at home. Minimal underbrush so losing discs is null. Never really noticed anything resembling a crowd. Holes 16 and 17 are the only real non pitch-and-putt holes, tightly wooded with decent length.
Cons: Very short, you could easily boost your ace count here. Most holes are fairly straight and not super imaginative. Big arms who have trouble scaling down the power might not like it. Holes 6 and 7 run right beside a fairly busy road. Dirt tees. Course doesn't particularly flow well, from hole to hole. For example, you have to cross the fairway of 11 to get to 10.
Other Thoughts: I do not remember there being concrete tees the first time I played but now there are 2 of them (one on 3, the other on 11) so I guess they're phasing them in. I've been playing for almost 2 years so I'm no pro but this course was pretty easy by my standards, I used only an Impact, a Wizard, and a Warlock and I finished +2. Hole 6 was tricky to find, hang a right towards the road (Bragg St), the tee for 18 is at the end of the parking lot in a little island near the swimming pool building. A local tried to return a XD to me but it wasn't mine so I told him to keep it. Still, a nice gesture I didn't want to go unnoticed. Really good beginner course and the Fins, Furs and Feathers store down the road on US 421 has the best disc selection I've ever seen at darn good prices. My buddy got a CFR Star Monarch for $16 there. I boosted this up to a 3 rating just for that fact and that it was one of the cleanest courses I've played. Latinos like to mingle on the benches a bit it seemed, I felt like I was in a telenovela. Kinda cool.

C = Too much of too little

1    9/14/2007   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

fun course

2-4    2/17/2009   2/18/2009
Review By: jleonar18
Pros: Easy to follow layout. Good course for beginners and still somewhat challanging for more expeirenced players. course seems to be maintained fairly well.
Cons: Hole 17 is a down hill shot with pools to the left and a few wholes are close to the street.