Sanford, NC
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #8

Decent little course

1    9/20/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Course layout is fairly intuitive - even with no map, you can pretty easily find the right hole.
- Distances on the
- Am teeboxes as well for beginners.
- Decent variation of tight, wooded, typical NC course for front nine and more open, air-out for the back nine (over the whole course, but somewhat repetitive - see below).
- Even though it was wooded, there is minimal underbrush, so there is minimal risk for losing a disk.
- 15 is a very cool hole - as mentioned in other reviews.
Cons: - Tee pad variations - the dirt was fine, some were under construction - I am somewhat concerned with how the paver blocks they were installing will wear over time (will they stay level?).
- Some of the front nine are a little repetitive - just another tight shots through trees.....
- Two holes (6 & 7 I think) throw parallel and within 50' of the busy street that you just drove on - bad news for an errant RHBH throw. I really don't like them
- The course is tight, and several of the teeboxes are very close to, or you backtrack back down the fairway to throw for the next holes, so it definitely would slow down heavy traffic (although it was empty when I played).
Other Thoughts: - one of the weirdest vibes I have gotten - I went mid-day mid-week, and there was a ton of traffic through the parking lotto the YMCA and a lot of "loitering cars" - people were just watching you. There was nobody on the course, which I like just fine, just concerned that if I "went missing", nobody 'cept the folks who done it would notice.
- The course has a "worn" feeling. All the baskets are there, some are missing the number. Would be nice to have signage with hole layout, or course map at the beginning instead of the old school sponsor's list.
- The course had some trees/branches down (holes 16 and 17) from either the spring tornadoes or Irene, but it was in decent shape considering the damage that was done in other parts of Sanford.
- Decent course - I wouldn't recommend just coming the the Triangle to play that course, but if you're here, you may as well!

Good Little Course

1    10/10/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: All Back Hand
Pros: A few ace runs but require a tight line, quiet and never crowded, 15 is a beautiful hole and worth bragging to friends about, good variety of throws
Cons: Not very many holes that challenge you distance wise, not much change in elevation other then 2 and 15
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the back 9 more then the front 9. Woods make you throw your line and make the lack of distance a littel more challenging, a nice course but only worth the trip out from Raleigh/Cary if you stop and play Swinging DBs or Buckhorn on way back.

Better than I expected

1    8/23/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: uncjibble
Pros: I went to this course for the first time expected a somewhat rundown course that was poorly designed. I was surprised as it was neither. The holes were fun to play, a birdie is possible on all yet its challenging enough that some trees cost me too many bogeys. The course is well maintained, I ran into the club playing doubles, I wish I had know about it!
Cons: Holes are short. The course uses elevation and trees to make it more challenging, but theres a lot of short holes. It would be nice to see some cement tees. As noted in other reviews theres a hole way too close to the road. I had a drive get away from me and I missed the road by a few feet.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me a lot of Kentwood in Raleigh. Short holes, but enough chances for you to screw up that it still has some challenge to it. The missing basket has been replaced!

Solid course

5+    5/8/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: kerplunk
Pros: Signs at every tee to indicate hole number and distance. Fairly easy to navigate, especially once you've played it once or twice. Good use of OB makes a fairly easy course more challenging. Despite what a previous reviewer stated, there is a well defined fairway on every hole, some of them are just very narrow as is typical of NC courses. Decent variety of shot types, and multiple "fairways" on many holes. I gave this course an extra .5 on my rating due to the very cool signature hole #15. As previously stated, Fins Firs and Feathers just up the road has great selection. Novice tee indicators. Very friendly and active locals.
Cons: Still majority natural tees, I believe. Scenery is not great as it is in the middle of town, but it is convenient to grab a quick lunch and play a second round. Only one layout, so I could see it getting boring. Hole 13 basket was stolen, but they brought another for the monthly I just played.
Other Thoughts: Saw a 5+ foot black snake near the basket of hole #2, so if you are scared of snakes pay attention. The duck flies at midnight. Go see Chuckster up at Fins Furs and Feathers right up the road, and have him show you the Spike Hyzer Cooler Competition Bag!

Decent Course, but.....

1    4/3/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: rjmimagery1
Pros: Short, concise, & *basically* to the point, course. With the exception of holes 10 & 11, I don't believe there's anything over 280 feet. Great course to work on short/medium range accuracy. Also, as previously stated, hole 15 is quite fun!
Cons: Quite a few: hole 13 is missing (as of 4/3/10), 4-lane road within 30 feet of a fairway, and again a 4-lane road within 30-40 feet of a hole, overall course layout (I haven't played that many courses, but I can still say that this is WAYYY too clustered. As a previous reviewer said, it would be rather hard to play the front nine with someone one hole ahead of you, without hitting them in the head.... Holes 1 through 9 all seem very repetitive. And, I believe it's hole #9 that has ABSOLUTELY no fairway, what-so-ever. If you don't over-hand it & hope for the best, I can't say you'll be anywhere near the vicinity of a decent putt.
Other Thoughts: I'm certainly appreciative of whomever made this course possible, as it is a disc golf course, where there aren't many others...however....the layout could have been drawn up a bit better. Hole 18 is very awkward, hole 15 is REALLY fun.

Just 3 discs

5+    11/15/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: My favorite thing is that I can play this course with 3 discs and shoot well. A great place to work on driving your putter, throwing thumbers/tomahawks and working on your short game. Short course that is easy to play and find your way around. I have never seen it crowded. Mostly wooded with a few WTF holes that are real tight. Enough variety to keep you from getting bored.
Cons: Natural tee pads. Can get muddy and lumpy. No great holes. A few holes are just straight and dull. 13 stands out as a hole that just kind of got thrown in where it could be fit. 12 and 14 aren't much better. They are just tucked a few feet in the woods to make it look interesting from a distance. Not real challenging though. Simple par, and a good shot at a 2 if you can throw around 225' with a little accuracy. Tee on 18 is on a little island in parking lot. I have had some pedestrian traffic cutting across fairway from parking lot. And they have no clue you are about to throw fast moving plastic at them.
Other Thoughts: Good change of pace if you don't want to play the challenging Buckhorn up the road 20 minutes. Good place to shoot for your ace. There are probably 5 or 6 holes where you have a legitimate chance at an ace.

Technical but easy

2-4    4/27/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 5/30/2009
Pros: Mostly wooded, some tight fairways, well maintained, very clean, easy to follow for the most part, not gorgeous but still a nice, pretty park. This is a very finesse oriented course, good for boning up on your mids and putters. Leave your drivers at home. Minimal underbrush so losing discs is null. Never really noticed anything resembling a crowd. Holes 16 and 17 are the only real non pitch-and-putt holes, tightly wooded with decent length.
Cons: Very short, you could easily boost your ace count here. Most holes are fairly straight and not super imaginative. Big arms who have trouble scaling down the power might not like it. Holes 6 and 7 run right beside a fairly busy road. Dirt tees. Course doesn't particularly flow well, from hole to hole. For example, you have to cross the fairway of 11 to get to 10.
Other Thoughts: I do not remember there being concrete tees the first time I played but now there are 2 of them (one on 3, the other on 11) so I guess they're phasing them in. I've been playing for almost 2 years so I'm no pro but this course was pretty easy by my standards, I used only an Impact, a Wizard, and a Warlock and I finished +2. Hole 6 was tricky to find, hang a right towards the road (Bragg St), the tee for 18 is at the end of the parking lot in a little island near the swimming pool building. A local tried to return a XD to me but it wasn't mine so I told him to keep it. Still, a nice gesture I didn't want to go unnoticed. Really good beginner course and the Fins, Furs and Feathers store down the road on US 421 has the best disc selection I've ever seen at darn good prices. My buddy got a CFR Star Monarch for $16 there. I boosted this up to a 3 rating just for that fact and that it was one of the cleanest courses I've played. Latinos like to mingle on the benches a bit it seemed, I felt like I was in a telenovela. Kinda cool.

C = Too much of too little

1    9/14/2007   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- NA
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

fun course

2-4    2/17/2009   2/18/2009
Review By: jleonar18
Pros: Easy to follow layout. Good course for beginners and still somewhat challanging for more expeirenced players. course seems to be maintained fairly well.
Cons: Hole 17 is a down hill shot with pools to the left and a few wholes are close to the street.

Nice Course

5+    7/25/2009   10/28/2008
Review By: YonderScott
This review was updated on 9/6/2009
Pros: Mainly wooded, never a big crowd unless you show up on a tourney day. Makes you practice your accuracy. The fairways on the wooded holes are tight, but not unfair. If you take a bit off your first shot to make sure it goes straight(or throw that putter or mid-range) you shouldn't have a hard time here. The only long holes are fairly open. The course has been clean everytime I've played it and the local players are really friendly. Possibly the best selection of discs are just down the road.
Cons: Some of the tee pads, esp on the back 9 are rutted and cause you to pull up on your throws. Hole 12 and 13 run along a tennis court, throw low, slow and straight and it's not a con. Holes 6 and 7 run parallel to a 4 lane road, There are plenty of trees along the side of the road to catch errant throws, normally. Same road runs behind hole 10 basket, unless you overshoot your 2nd shot by 50' it shouldn't be a problem. Only one water fountain I found and the water from it tastes like pond sludge.
Other Thoughts: I am mainly a recreational player who doesn't have a big arm. The front 9 will only test your accuracy, which suits me fine. I really enjoy playing this course and do everytime I am in the area. It reminds me of Davidson and Asheboro in a way, which is good because I love both those courses. I guess I'm a sucker for tight, wooded places that force you to work on your mid-range/approach game. There is a great local store that sells discs, Fins Furs and Feathers.
-Favorite hole:#15-It's a fun downhill run that has a public swimming pool to the left. The summer position is to the right tucked in a couple of trees, the winter position is dead ahead. I would only carry my flat top roc and a putter here, but I carry a full bag to empty on this hole.