Cypress, TX
Oak Meadow Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #6 (Taken 9/2008)

Oak Meadow DGC

1    9/21/2012   1/9/2013
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros:
Oak Meadow DGC, located in Cypress Texas, is a beautifully manicured 18 hole course that challenges all skill levels. Established in 2006 by Disc Golf Consultants, this course was built in the beautiful neighborhood of Bridgeland on the outskirts Houston. Oak Meadow's layout has disc golfers throwing on fairly flat land that is moderately wooded. Periodically, players will be throwing over and around a large body of water (five holes) which adds to the overall difficulty. Par for the course from the cement pads (white) was 58, with holes ranging anywhere from 264 - 654 feet.

Most of the wooded holes, although they lack distance, have defined fairways that require precision. I often found myself using a buzz because it allowed me to stay out of the rough and gave me a solid shot at a birdie. With the exception of the long wide open holes, there really was no need for a high speed driver in the woods. On the longer holes, a 400 foot drive often times put me in great shape for an accurate upshot and then a birdie putt. There was no hole on the course I felt I couldn't birdie assuming I was able to execute my shots correctly. Of course this is always easier said than done! For my first time playing the course I was able to shoot four under from the whites, which apparently is a great round, so I was very pleased.

Cement tee pads were quite large and in great shape, allowing for big run ups when needed on those open holes. The Mach II baskets were all intact and helped add to the overall quality of the course. There was absolutely no garbage to be found and when I was there I saw work crews mowing, trimming and cleaning up the park which showed how much money went into the upkeep of the course.
Cons:
Again, as mentioned in almost every other review, the fact the course is private is a shame. My cousin lives across from Bridgeland in another beautiful development and warned me about possibly being kicked out but we went for it anyway since it was a weekday (Friday). Fortunately we were still able to play a full round and every time we encountered a local DGer or worker they were very kind. We just made sure we were respectful and left the course cleaner than we found it! Oak Meadow is the perfect candidate for a "Pay to Play" course as it would help alleviate some of the HOA dues that go to the course as well as continue to keep off most of the "Huckers."

As I mentioned in my Texas Army Trail review, being from the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) where we have no poisonous snakes west of the Cascades, it is always a bit alarming to be playing DG in areas with VERY poisonous snakes hanging out near bye. Although most of them stay out of the way, it often made me think twice about my disc selection when throwing through those wooded holes.

Last, the course tends to have a lot of issues with drainage. When the hard rain comes through the area it takes days if not weeks to dry up and can fester, allowing for mosquitoes to take over so make sure you plan accordingly!
Oak Meadow DGC is easily one of the best courses I have played in the state Texas. Even though there are some drawbacks to it being that the course is private, the pros by far outweigh the cons. This area would be ideal for a home course due to its mixture of open and moderately wooded holes. Its proximity to the other courses is a huge bonus as well. This course can be played fairly quickly and with a map, is quite easy to navigate from the white tees. Although I didn't see any marks for the red and blue tees, it is a great addition for the local players and tournament play.

I have wanted to play this course ever since my cousin moved into his home across the way and it didn't disappoint for a second. Although it was Africa hot the day I was there playing, I brought plenty of water and sunscreen and was just fine. The local club and HOA have done a tremendous job with the upkeep and there seems to be a great DG following from what I saw. Hopefully this course is able to stay permanent for years to come as it adds a lot to the local DG scene in Houston and would be missed greatly by all who have played it. I am just thankful I was able to play this course while I had the chance!

Pretty fun, but wet

1    2/5/2012   2/5/2012
Review By: LoPan12
This review was updated on 2/7/2012
Pros: +Long or medium length holes with clearly defined fairways, with small islands of ROUGH to play around. The varied cover limits routes in a good way.
+Use of terrain forces specific lines, but still gives you multiple routes.
Cons: -Like much of texas, its flat, so after a whole day of rain previous, lots of the course was under atleast an inch of water.
-The rain results in pond overflow, which causes a run-off ditch/creek to come up, which precludes use of one of the tee pads (due to excessive long walk to get the normal route's landing area).
-Some of the holes were wide open on the sides, giving you room for error, but as a result, not forcing you to hit a particular line.
Other Thoughts: A great course, it was lots of fun! Despite the long holes, there were lots of Buzzz shots.
Too bad you have to be a development resident to play there, but the guys I met up with were great, and I had a ton of fun. Thanks to JRW III for showing my around! Wish my neighborhood had its own DG course!

Bored Soccer Moms

5+    2/11/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: MrNiceFella
Pros: Course is big, well maintained, has a nice layout, tee pads are excellent. The park is beautiful with lots of trees and a couple lakes.
Cons: Some soccer Moms with nothing better to do have taken it upon themselves police the course and find out if you are a resident of Bridgeland or not. I believe that the more people that play a course, the better that course becomes. This course is mostly flat and the distances are too long to be a par 3.
Other Thoughts: Soccer Moms should start to fill some of their vast time with playing disc golf so that they will stop chasing off peaceful players.

championship caliber course

1    1/31/2010   2/19/2010
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -well maintained, semi private course with water fountains, bathrooms, big trapezoidal concrete pads and nice signs
-Some great holes here that require smart play because of the length and the rough, lay ups abound on some of the holes to get the 3. This is especially apparant on the front nine (3,4,5) as it is longer, a bit more open, but with pockets of rough to avoid.
-No real elevation "changes" here, but some cool elevation play around the spillway holes. 6 for instance has a cool lay up spot over the spillway, or risk it and go big to get across the spillway on the basket side.
-Nice use of the lake to mess with the mental part of your game. You don't actually throw over it, except on hole 8, but if your disc gets flippy, it's in trouble.
-The baskets by the lake are very well placed on the edge of the slope down to the lake, good, safe upshots are paramount.
-Back nine rounds out the course by being shorter and very tight on some holes. Add to that the thickness of the rough, and it is very risk-reward.
Cons: -A couple throw away holes here namely 1 which is just kind f long with one tree in the way and 12 which is long and flat, no trees with the spill way in play on the upshot.
-The water holes are all rhbh friendly from the whites. It's hard to change that up, but I think it could have been done.
-Multiple teepads were not able to be found.
-Course is flat as a board
Other Thoughts: -Overall this is a very good course, I like the fact that it is private. It keeps the riffraff off the course, and allows it to be underused and therefore really nice looking. I do think it could benefit from being a pay to play which would essentially do the same thing as keeping it private but allow for it to be more utilized. JRWIII was a great guide for this course as well as being a nice guy. Overall the group consensus was that this was the second best course we played on the Houston trip, just a bit above Links, and below Shawshank, although JB CH will be a better course than Oak when it's done.