Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #8 (Taken 7/2010)

Fun In The Florida Woods

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: thrembo
Pros: A short to moderate length technical course set in a wooded, hilly park, seemingly dedicated to disc golfing.

Two sets of concrete tees (looks like they are in the process of redoing the tees, as there are some new ones on the course, and a couple of the old ones showing their age) with decnt sinage at the longer tees, showing hole layouts and distances.

Very nice benches, some with small covered pavillions over them, make for nice resting spots.

The park is very clean, and well maintained.

Cons: Porta potty style restroom.

Fun and somewhat scenic course, but it doesn't really have a "wow" factor.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course, and fun to play. I would be happy if it were my home course and would enjoy playing it regularly, if it were close by, but I also was a little underwhelmed playing it for the 1st time. It just doesn't stand out like say the Turkey Lake courses, or Medard imo.

Mixed Feelings

1    12/22/2013   12/30/2013
Review By: Horsman
Pros: - 2 very nice concrete teepads for almost every hole.

- A very nice mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer shots.

- Tee Signs for every hole.

- Most holes are very straight forward and easy to figure out where the hole is.
Cons: - Tiny Parking Lot

- There is a sign that points to where the course is from the parking lot to point you in the right direction but onceyou go down the path there are a couple ways that it splits from there. I walked down 2 incorrect paths before choosing the correct one and finding the first hole.

- The flow from hole to hole is not the greatest. I had a heck of a timefinding a lot of the holes and missed 2 of the the alterante holes becasue I didnt know there were even there.

- There seems to be a lot of room on this course the is underutilized and could easily have 2 more pin positions for every hole.
Other Thoughts: - Overall I was a little let down by this course. I came in expecting a 4 star course and it came close but didnt live up to its rating for me.

- I liked the ammount of diffeent shots I had to use to complete this course, but its not my style of course.

- I would still recommend playing this course if you are in the area but I prefer the longer bomber course that is Pine Oaks.

Out There

1    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Ocala Greenway may not actually be far from civilization. You drive through a neighborhood to reach the entrance, after all. But it feels as if it is a world away from anything. Part of that is the long drive that it takes to get to Ocala from, well, anywhere. But mostly, it is due to the raw, almost primordial landscape on the course itself. We saw one other player out there, a solitary gent who we let play through.

The terrain is best described as light woods, with a mix of sand and soil supporting a multitude of trees with little underbrush. By trees i mean big beefy trunks with thick branches covered in surprisingly solid leaves just waiting to knock a disc down. Considering that this is Florida it's mostly flat but the natural escarpments are used well to create a few elevation changes. (Typically, there will be a sharp rise at one point in the fairway, after which its flat again to the pin.)

The Greenway also features some of the nicest benches I've seen on a course. They aren't on every hole but they all feature a small roof for shade. This makes a ton of sense because A: it gets hot out there, and B: its extremely likely that you will wait out a short downpour at some point. Very thoughtful. They really did think a lot about the needed amenities here.
Cons: That said, this course needs next tee signs badly. There are a multitude of trails out there, which I assume are used for dirtbiking or hiking perhaps. Some of the greens have several trails leading away that could go to a tee. Frequently had to split up and yell back and forth when the next hole was found.

Other Thoughts: I would love for this to be my local course. Great mix of shots that I could play again and again. But it falls into a bit of a grey area for me. Not awesome enough to be a destination. Not close enough to anything to be a regular course. If I regularly traveled I75, this would be a frequent stop and if there was a 3.75 option, this would be the ideal candidate for it.

Tight, Tight, Tight

1    8/5/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: djpatch28
Pros: Tight holes
Elevation variety
Extra holes
Under tree cover for a majority of the course
Nice baskets
Doable signs
Tee pads!
Cons: Too tight in spots
Hard to follow the setup, especially the extra holes... missed a few of those
Sandy...should have worn shoes, not sandals
Other Thoughts: I got rained on at hole #15 and it was a Godsend...so hot, even with all that tree cover. I was the only one out there and wanted to play another 18...darn you rain! Fun for my first time out, when i visit the state again, I will gladly play this again!

Worth the Drive

1    9/26/2011   3/22/2012
Review By: Oruatyrim
Pros: *Varied shots-tight fairways, open fairways, anhyzers, hyzers, straight, uphill/downhill.
*Challenging course- nothing too easy, but nothing so hard that you'll want to run away.
*Very well marked holes-once you found the teepad, it was easy to locate the basket and select a path to get to it. The signs are very accurate.
*Good use of terrain-Fully utilized what is out there, whether it be a skinny ATV trail, a nice open field with a protected green, or slight hills for elevation changes.
*More than 18 Holes- Would have been fine with the 18, but the addition of the b and c holes I got to experience more disc golf that day!
Cons: *Navigation from basket to tee-Bring a guide. It's sometimes confusing on how to get from 1 hole to the next especially with the addition of so many extra holes, it can get confusing coming back across fairways, and moving around to find the next teepad. It wasn't too easy to locate hole #1 without reading the reviews and descriptions here first.
*Port-a-Potty-I brought my wife and parents out to try and get them 'into' playing. Most of the courses I bring her to, has #9 ending near a restroom. This one is not to female or eldery couple friendly.
Hot-Not really a con, but the course is only 75% covered by foliage while playing. In the summer, bring sunscreen and a hat.
Not too beginner friendly- Again, took out some new people and they had a difficult time 'having fun' because the course wasn't too forgiving at times.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great time for a Disc Golfer. I wouldn't recommend bringing family out to this course unless they want to just go walking along. I would like to see a map printed out and made available at the kiosk in the parking lot. It would help people navigate to the first hole, and through the course.

I find myself describing Hole 9 to my friends quite often as it is one my most remembered holes anywhere. Also there was an alternate pin hole on either 4 or 6 that was just a skinny trail straight up the gut that was quite memorable. It was beautiful and with the overhanging palm trees on both sides it felt like I was throwing in a rainforest or a jungle in South America.

Being from NC this course was the most challenging in the area and one I would place on par with the courses in my area. 100% worth that 54minute drive I had to make to get my 'fix'. Next time I travel that way I will definately be stopping by again, I just won't bring the family out.

1    2/20/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This course is one of the better ones I've played in FL. It's not as open as I thought it would be which makes you have to work harder and shape your shots. Didn't get to play this with any locals so a few of the holes on the back 9 were a little tricky to make out where the basket was in relationship to the tee sign. Really enjoyed the course and would go back again just a little more off I-95 than I expected. Great use of elevation, I was actually very impressed with a few of the holes. Lots of blind tee shots made for some interesting approach shots. I'll play this one again if I'm passing through. Very well maintained and lots of benches at almost every hole.
Cons: I wish there were a few more open holes on this course, guess that's just personal preference, but it's a little more wooded than most other courses I've played in FL. Had several people walk through the course while I was playing (walkers, joggers, mount. bikers) so just be aware.
Other Thoughts: Course is very easy to navigate, had the map on my phone, only used it maybe once, but other than that it's a fun course that makes you work for birdies.

One of Central Florida's Best!

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Concrete tee boxes (Greens)
2. Good tee signage indicating distance and par (though the basket locations are sometimes different from where they appear on the signs)
3. Next Tee signs (still confusing if you're playing it for the first time, but good for following rounds)
4. Great variety of shots required and will challenge both righty and lefty players equally
5. Adequate seating and trash receptacles
6. Port-o-Let on site (better than nothing)
7. 24 holes with almost no repeats / deja vu
8. Good challenge for different skill levels (maybe a little tough for beginners, but definitely playable!)
Cons:
1. Difficult to navigate for first-timer
2. Yellow tee pads weren't concrete (rubber mats are playable, though)
3. No water in play
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a challenging and fun one... The elevation changes make for some tough and interesting shots, and the layout (though very confusing for a first timer) works. I personally enjoyed #8, the Lighthouse, with the uphill and small ravines of the fairway ending with a putt to an elevated basket - don't miss or you're down in the gulley! Each hole had a different challenge, whether it was distance, pin location, tree location, elevation, or various combinations... With some updating of the signage, all concrete tee boxes, and maybe some permanent restrooms, the course would score higher. In the end, this is a great course in Central Florida and if you're in the area I'd strongly recommend it (even if you have to drive a ways!).

Fantastic course

2-4    4/20/2010   2/10/2011
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 8/17/2012
Pros: Everytime I go back to Florida I stop by this course simply because it is half a block from my dads house. Location for me is a huge pro but the course speaks for it's self.

DG exclusive. Hole layout can be a bit tricky the first time through but with DGCR maps it was easy. Great mix of short and long holes with plenty for left and right handers. Some very slight evlevation in play but well placed to add course quality. The baskets were nice and not rusty and the course was well mantained. Plenty to offer for ace runs and big bombs. I am really a big fan of the fact that this course plays all the elevation in the area to its best potential.
Cons: Some minor teepad issues need to be resolved if they haven't already. I would love to see running water.
Other Thoughts: A perfect hidden gem to play a round at and always feel good about the way I shot. It's no DeLa but it's just right.

Secluded course

1    7/28/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: 1) Secluded. Played in the middle of the day during the week & I was the only one out there.
2) Saw plenty of wildlife, none to dangerous.
3) Great use of elevation chage.
4) Each hole has it's own character. Nothing boring here.
5) Extra holes
6) Post markers at the tees
7) Not every hole is a par 3. 4 & 5 par holes makes for a good birdie oppurtunity for new players without a long throw.
8) Benches & trashcans throughout the course.
Cons: 1) Hole 9 does not finish up front. Sometimes you need that mid-game potty break.
2) Got lost going to 6c took 30 min to get back on track. Find a local if possible for your first round.
3) Took a little searching to find the first hole. Not to bad, found it first try, just wasn't sure I was going the right way until I ran into it.
4) Some tee signs missing.
Other Thoughts: Great overall course. The play itself was a blast, will be going back soon with the wife & daughter. The course could use some more signage to help newcomers navigate the holes, including getting to the first hole. Bring plenty of water & hit the porta potty before you go out.

Great secluded course

1    5/15/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 9/15/2010
Pros: * Secluded - No outside "noise interference" (i.e. NO: kids on jungle-gyms, roadways, barking dogs, etc.)
* Multiple Tee-pads - Gives you variety whether you want a longer tougher challenge or a shorter game if you happen to bring someone new to the sport
* Concrete Tee-pads on the Pro Tees
* Tee-signs - The tee-signs were accurate and gave you a good idea of where to drive on a blind hole
* DGA baskets - Double-chained baskets make for a more confident putt in my opinion (i.e. less "spit-outs")
* 24 holes! - It was great getting to play those extra holes, it sure beats just 18
* Benches at most holes, including a couple of picnic tables throughout the course
* Trashcans - They are scattered throughout the course
* Good use of elevation - Florida can be known for being relatively flat but the designer has made great use of the somewhat moderate elevation in this area.
* Port-o-potty at the beginning of the course (but this is also a con)
* Great shot variety - Every hole out on this course was a new experience. Definitely not a "monotonous" course.
* Locals! - Everyone I ran into out there had a great attitude and was very kind (Including the TD that happened to be there while a tourney was going on: He mentioned he was from NC as well and gave us a couple of beers from his cooler he had on the back of his golf-cart! Thanks guy!)
* Wildlife abounds here - We saw lots of diverse wildlife here including a large gopher tortoise that was poking his head out of a large hole in the ground. Saw a beautiful Kite-tailed Hawk flying overhead as well as some interesting "Big Headed" ants. Numerous cool lizards as well.... (Thankfully we didnt run into any rattlers that have been known to be on the course!)
Cons: * Navigation - I had to contact a DGCR member to guide me through the course before coming to play this one.... I suggest you do the same. If it hadnt been for a course guide, I dont think I would have been able to find the first tee, let alone navigate through the course.
* The port-o-potty - I had to use it (twice) before starting the round and lets just say I should have brought some nose-plugs or at least stopped by a store to use the restroom before coming to play.
* No multiple pin placements - this could be an erosion/wear problem for this course in the future.
* Sand - It started to get a little annoying after my shoes were filled with sand after only about 4 holes. I used to live in the panhandle of Florida and I feel that sand only belongs on the beach, but its just a minor gripe. It gets all over your discs. The sand on the ground did help keep the disc from rolling away after a missed putt though so in that case it could be seen as a "pro".
* Lack of defined fairways on some of the holes
* The shorter/alternate tee-pads were not concrete
* This course could use a little more TLC/clean-up on some of the fairways
Other Thoughts: I contacted I3ooI3oo before coming down to Ocala and he met up with me at the course. He was fun to play with and an all around great guy. If you plan on playing this course it would be wise to contact him before coming down due to the navigation issues. He will be able to show you all of the added/extra holes as well.

Every local I talked to was just as nice as can be. That really makes the course experience that much more enjoyable.

It was very hot there on the day that we played, and I would suggest applying some sunscreen before starting your round (if you play it in the summertime like we did!). Also: BE SURE to bring extra water.... You'll need it.

A few of the reviews before me had mentioned paint-ballers but there were none to be found there that day.... good thing.

I know this course has gotten 4.5 disc ratings in the past but after playing a course like Bracketts Bluff, I had to give OGDGC a 3.5 rating. If there was an option, I would have given this course a 3.75 disc rating but I feel a 3.5 is fair. OGDGC is a great course and I will definitely be coming back down through to play it again.