Ocala, FL

Fun In The Florida Woods

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 10/28/2014
Pros: A short to moderate length technical course set in a wooded, hilly park, seemingly dedicated to disc golfing.

Two sets of concrete tees, with decent sinage at the long ones, show the hole layout and distance.

Very nice benches, some with small covered pavillions over them, make for nice resting spots.

The park is very clean, and well maintained.

Cons: Porta potty style restroom.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course, and fun to play. I would be happy if it were my home course and would enjoy playing it regularly, if it were close by.

Elevated from the norm

1    1/30/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 10/22/2014
Pros: Solidly designed course in quiet, out of the way neighborhood park with paved bike/skate/walk path and picnic areas well away from the course - makes for a peaceful round.
Variety: well balanced between L/R/straight fairways, as well as wooded and semi-open. Good spread of distances from short Ace Runs to long open holes with a few long woodsy holes, too. Offers ample opportunity to whack a ton of trees, while providing several holes with the L-R space certain shots need to work, plus some low canopies and several well-thought out pin placements. Many holes are tough par 3's and I can see how some would say this course has a couple of legit par 4's from the longs. Gives you chances to work all kinds of lines and all kinds of shots.
Elevation: 10-12 holes where elevation comes into play in one way or another (a true rarity for Florida) not just mildly rolling terrain, but substantial uphills, downhills, gulleys, elevated pins, and rollaway greens. Don't expect mountains, but it's legit and nicely used to make the course more challenging, fun and interesting.
Equipment: Tee signs with distance and basic overview of the fairway along with occasional Next Tee signs help you get from hole to hole. Concrete tees were adequate and DGA baskets perform as expected. Everything was in good shape and I don't recall seeing much in the way of vandalism. Short, painted posts near each tee tell you if it's short (orange), long (lime green) or single, combined tee (green/orange). Enough benches and trash cans to not be an issue.
Aesthetics: Ocala's a fairly pleasant course, and while I personally don't find hammocks of scrub, palmetto, oak and pine separated by patches of sand particularly beautiful, it's ubiquitous to central/northern FL. Doesn't enhance the course this reviewer's opinion, but it's certainly not ugly by any stretch and your tastes may differ.
Disc golf dedicated land: you might come across a hiker or two, but there's little other traffic to contend with where the course is.
Memorable holes: I liked the elevated basket on # 8 and the use of timbers to box in the base and make it look nice - well done. There's a splendid hole (#12 maybe ??) that tees off "looking" downhill through some tight, well positioned trees, and plays back uphill and to the left of the low point - I'm not sure the basket is really any lower than the tee, but the hole can play quite down-hill off the tee, and unless you carry the green on your tee shot, you'll be throwing up a substantial incline for your approach. I also have to give props to 6B: one of the longer holes, requiring a good line off the tee and a solid upshot to a nicely sloped and reasonable well-guarded green to set up a putt.
Cons: Navigation: The original 18 was a bit iffy in spots, but not actually all that bad - it's the supplemental holes that impede flow IMHO. Even with the map I had a hard time finding them. I'm sure locals think its fine, but every course feels OK "once you get the hang of it."
Supplemental holes: they don't necessarily suck out loud, but five of the six are meh, and definitely are among the weakest holes on the course. Admittedly, 6B is a very good hole, and given how it routes away from the rest of the course, I suppose 6C makes sense to bring you back (not that I'm typically an advocate of "filler" holes). But when you consider what holes 1-18 offer, I don't see the point in adding less interesting holes, particularly when they screw up the flow on a course that already had couple of navigational rough spots. They make a not so bad situation worse while adding no new or interesting wrinkles to the experience. Even if you concede 6B and 6C, the remaining four (4B, 4C, 9B, 9C) don't add something the course was lacking; more does not necessarily = better. Using those baskets as alt pin locations on some of the more interesting, existing fairways would have been a better choice.
Sandy tees - tees themselves were fine, but Ocala would benefit from brooms more than most courses.
Hard to spot DGA baskets in the woods, especially well-guarded baskets in the shade - a blast of fluorescent paint on the lollipops would work wonders.
For what seemed like a "sleepy, out of the way" park, the small parking lot was quite crowded.
Other Thoughts: Of the ten or socourses I've played in the state so far, Ocala Greenway is easily one of the best (Magnolia and River City Nature Park being the others in that conversation), and is the only one of those with real topography - a welcome breath of fresh air in FLatland.

I like my courses "greener" than this and freely admit the indigenous landscape isn't my idea of a beautiful course, but the disc play here is damned good, and that's why we throw, right? Fun, challenging, and makes you think. Trying to put my personal tastes aside, Greenway it isn't quite on par with some of the other 4.0 courses I've played... upon revaluation, I've dropped it down to 3.5, but I'd actually describe it as a 3.75... falls just a bit short of being a truly excellent course.

Tenting it? Santos Campground (state run) is 7 miles away. Nice campground with clean facilities.

Mixed Feelings

1    12/22/2013   12/30/2013
Review By: Horsman
Pros: - 2 very nice concrete teepads for almost every hole.

- A very nice mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer shots.

- Tee Signs for every hole.

- Most holes are very straight forward and easy to figure out where the hole is.
Cons: - Tiny Parking Lot

- There is a sign that points to where the course is from the parking lot to point you in the right direction but onceyou go down the path there are a couple ways that it splits from there. I walked down 2 incorrect paths before choosing the correct one and finding the first hole.

- The flow from hole to hole is not the greatest. I had a heck of a timefinding a lot of the holes and missed 2 of the the alterante holes becasue I didnt know there were even there.

- There seems to be a lot of room on this course the is underutilized and could easily have 2 more pin positions for every hole.
Other Thoughts: - Overall I was a little let down by this course. I came in expecting a 4 star course and it came close but didnt live up to its rating for me.

- I liked the ammount of diffeent shots I had to use to complete this course, but its not my style of course.

- I would still recommend playing this course if you are in the area but I prefer the longer bomber course that is Pine Oaks.

Out There

1    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Ocala Greenway may not actually be far from civilization. You drive through a neighborhood to reach the entrance, after all. But it feels as if it is a world away from anything. Part of that is the long drive that it takes to get to Ocala from, well, anywhere. But mostly, it is due to the raw, almost primordial landscape on the course itself. We saw one other player out there, a solitary gent who we let play through.

The terrain is best described as light woods, with a mix of sand and soil supporting a multitude of trees with little underbrush. By trees i mean big beefy trunks with thick branches covered in surprisingly solid leaves just waiting to knock a disc down. Considering that this is Florida it's mostly flat but the natural escarpments are used well to create a few elevation changes. (Typically, there will be a sharp rise at one point in the fairway, after which its flat again to the pin.)

The Greenway also features some of the nicest benches I've seen on a course. They aren't on every hole but they all feature a small roof for shade. This makes a ton of sense because A: it gets hot out there, and B: its extremely likely that you will wait out a short downpour at some point. Very thoughtful. They really did think a lot about the needed amenities here.
Cons: That said, this course needs next tee signs badly. There are a multitude of trails out there, which I assume are used for dirtbiking or hiking perhaps. Some of the greens have several trails leading away that could go to a tee. Frequently had to split up and yell back and forth when the next hole was found.

Other Thoughts: I would love for this to be my local course. Great mix of shots that I could play again and again. But it falls into a bit of a grey area for me. Not awesome enough to be a destination. Not close enough to anything to be a regular course. If I regularly traveled I75, this would be a frequent stop and if there was a 3.75 option, this would be the ideal candidate for it.

Tight, Tight, Tight

1    8/5/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: djpatch28
Pros: Tight holes
Elevation variety
Extra holes
Under tree cover for a majority of the course
Nice baskets
Doable signs
Tee pads!
Cons: Too tight in spots
Hard to follow the setup, especially the extra holes... missed a few of those
Sandy...should have worn shoes, not sandals
Other Thoughts: I got rained on at hole #15 and it was a Godsend...so hot, even with all that tree cover. I was the only one out there and wanted to play another 18...darn you rain! Fun for my first time out, when i visit the state again, I will gladly play this again!

Worth the Drive

1    9/26/2011   3/22/2012
Review By: Oruatyrim
Pros: *Varied shots-tight fairways, open fairways, anhyzers, hyzers, straight, uphill/downhill.
*Challenging course- nothing too easy, but nothing so hard that you'll want to run away.
*Very well marked holes-once you found the teepad, it was easy to locate the basket and select a path to get to it. The signs are very accurate.
*Good use of terrain-Fully utilized what is out there, whether it be a skinny ATV trail, a nice open field with a protected green, or slight hills for elevation changes.
*More than 18 Holes- Would have been fine with the 18, but the addition of the b and c holes I got to experience more disc golf that day!
Cons: *Navigation from basket to tee-Bring a guide. It's sometimes confusing on how to get from 1 hole to the next especially with the addition of so many extra holes, it can get confusing coming back across fairways, and moving around to find the next teepad. It wasn't too easy to locate hole #1 without reading the reviews and descriptions here first.
*Port-a-Potty-I brought my wife and parents out to try and get them 'into' playing. Most of the courses I bring her to, has #9 ending near a restroom. This one is not to female or eldery couple friendly.
Hot-Not really a con, but the course is only 75% covered by foliage while playing. In the summer, bring sunscreen and a hat.
Not too beginner friendly- Again, took out some new people and they had a difficult time 'having fun' because the course wasn't too forgiving at times.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great time for a Disc Golfer. I wouldn't recommend bringing family out to this course unless they want to just go walking along. I would like to see a map printed out and made available at the kiosk in the parking lot. It would help people navigate to the first hole, and through the course.

I find myself describing Hole 9 to my friends quite often as it is one my most remembered holes anywhere. Also there was an alternate pin hole on either 4 or 6 that was just a skinny trail straight up the gut that was quite memorable. It was beautiful and with the overhanging palm trees on both sides it felt like I was throwing in a rainforest or a jungle in South America.

Being from NC this course was the most challenging in the area and one I would place on par with the courses in my area. 100% worth that 54minute drive I had to make to get my 'fix'. Next time I travel that way I will definately be stopping by again, I just won't bring the family out.

1    2/20/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This course is one of the better ones I've played in FL. It's not as open as I thought it would be which makes you have to work harder and shape your shots. Didn't get to play this with any locals so a few of the holes on the back 9 were a little tricky to make out where the basket was in relationship to the tee sign. Really enjoyed the course and would go back again just a little more off I-95 than I expected. Great use of elevation, I was actually very impressed with a few of the holes. Lots of blind tee shots made for some interesting approach shots. I'll play this one again if I'm passing through. Very well maintained and lots of benches at almost every hole.
Cons: I wish there were a few more open holes on this course, guess that's just personal preference, but it's a little more wooded than most other courses I've played in FL. Had several people walk through the course while I was playing (walkers, joggers, mount. bikers) so just be aware.
Other Thoughts: Course is very easy to navigate, had the map on my phone, only used it maybe once, but other than that it's a fun course that makes you work for birdies.

One of Central Florida's Best!

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Concrete tee boxes (Greens)
2. Good tee signage indicating distance and par (though the basket locations are sometimes different from where they appear on the signs)
3. Next Tee signs (still confusing if you're playing it for the first time, but good for following rounds)
4. Great variety of shots required and will challenge both righty and lefty players equally
5. Adequate seating and trash receptacles
6. Port-o-Let on site (better than nothing)
7. 24 holes with almost no repeats / deja vu
8. Good challenge for different skill levels (maybe a little tough for beginners, but definitely playable!)
Cons:
1. Difficult to navigate for first-timer
2. Yellow tee pads weren't concrete (rubber mats are playable, though)
3. No water in play
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a challenging and fun one... The elevation changes make for some tough and interesting shots, and the layout (though very confusing for a first timer) works. I personally enjoyed #8, the Lighthouse, with the uphill and small ravines of the fairway ending with a putt to an elevated basket - don't miss or you're down in the gulley! Each hole had a different challenge, whether it was distance, pin location, tree location, elevation, or various combinations... With some updating of the signage, all concrete tee boxes, and maybe some permanent restrooms, the course would score higher. In the end, this is a great course in Central Florida and if you're in the area I'd strongly recommend it (even if you have to drive a ways!).

Fantastic course

2-4    4/20/2010   2/10/2011
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 8/17/2012
Pros: Everytime I go back to Florida I stop by this course simply because it is half a block from my dads house. Location for me is a huge pro but the course speaks for it's self.

DG exclusive. Hole layout can be a bit tricky the first time through but with DGCR maps it was easy. Great mix of short and long holes with plenty for left and right handers. Some very slight evlevation in play but well placed to add course quality. The baskets were nice and not rusty and the course was well mantained. Plenty to offer for ace runs and big bombs. I am really a big fan of the fact that this course plays all the elevation in the area to its best potential.
Cons: Some minor teepad issues need to be resolved if they haven't already. I would love to see running water.
Other Thoughts: A perfect hidden gem to play a round at and always feel good about the way I shot. It's no DeLa but it's just right.

Secluded course

1    7/28/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: 1) Secluded. Played in the middle of the day during the week & I was the only one out there.
2) Saw plenty of wildlife, none to dangerous.
3) Great use of elevation chage.
4) Each hole has it's own character. Nothing boring here.
5) Extra holes
6) Post markers at the tees
7) Not every hole is a par 3. 4 & 5 par holes makes for a good birdie oppurtunity for new players without a long throw.
8) Benches & trashcans throughout the course.
Cons: 1) Hole 9 does not finish up front. Sometimes you need that mid-game potty break.
2) Got lost going to 6c took 30 min to get back on track. Find a local if possible for your first round.
3) Took a little searching to find the first hole. Not to bad, found it first try, just wasn't sure I was going the right way until I ran into it.
4) Some tee signs missing.
Other Thoughts: Great overall course. The play itself was a blast, will be going back soon with the wife & daughter. The course could use some more signage to help newcomers navigate the holes, including getting to the first hole. Bring plenty of water & hit the porta potty before you go out.