Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #1 (Taken 7/2010)

Greenway

2-4    6/15/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 11/25/2014
Pros: Playing in summer here I expeceted a very green and rough course. What I got was very unexpected. At a time of year that most wooded courses are very dense, this one was very managable. Course is in great shape. Rough is present. However, not growing into the fairway like most wooded courses in summer. This being said there is still plenty of challenge and things to bite you. There are shots with slight up hill with low branches to force you to stay low, but not too low or you are in the ground. 24 total holes. Signature holes such as #8, The Lighthouse that plays a little up hill to a slightly elevated basket with roll away potential on a missed upshot or putt. Another early highlight was #3 that plays slightly uphill to a cluster of spooky large oak trees. Signature bonus hole 6c plays on a hogback with basket under another spooky oak tree.
Elevation on a number of holes, more than most any course in Florida. Built on abandoned barge canal property, evidence of the dig is still very visable and creates a lot of fun slopes and gullies. Another highlight was 11 a slight uphill shot to a basket under a large tree with roots exposed by erosion reminiscent of DeLaveaga Park in CA. The roots are in just the right spot to protect short up shots from skipping to the basket or also may push you into a tricky but fun gully along side of fairway. Hyzer shot on 12 has a key hole trimmed through the trees to view the basket, saving a long recon walk. Trees on other holes are trimmed so perfectly to give tight yet very defined fair lines. Hit the line, not chuck & luck. This is a Disc golf sancturay. The course is dedicated to disc golf with no paved walking trails, no car noize, no playground with screaming kids or other actavities to bring other park users into the area. The short walk to hole 1 brings you into the woods to where you cannot see any signs of civilization making for a very zen round. Concrete tees and baskets are in great shape. Great signage by all long tees give info for long & short tees and direction of next tee. Also some next tee signs after baskets show direction to next tee or next bonus hole. Never got lost looking for next tee and we did play all 24.
Cons: Sand on most greens and on the tees. Sand can stick to your disc on wet days & get inside your bag.
Large red ants everywhere. Bring your stool, not to sit on but to place your bag on or there will be ants on your bag, then one you.
Could not find my way back to the car for more water after what would be 9 or 12 holes and I do not think you come back to parking area until hole 18. No rest room for the ladies. Just a port-a-potty. However, it was clean with no smell on this day. Did not see a practice basket.
Other Thoughts: Looks like every tree out there was hand planted to make you think before you throw. This was only the fourth time I played Greenway and it is now my favorite course in Florida! I have never given a 5 star review. However, as for 51 courses I have played in my home state of Florida, this one is the best of the best.

very nice course

1    7/14/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: boursin
Pros: Great scenery, not a house to be seen. Some nice openholes and some that need target throwing. Some nice hills (for FLA). great landscape nice pads (concrete) pins have great placement Just a super course
Cons: It is very hot in July, other than that no cons at all except navigation takes a little time to find a couple of the holes. But
Who Cares. It was super fun
Other Thoughts: If you have a chance play this course you will not be dissapointed. No really long throws but some good intermediate distances. Quiet and serene

The almighty Greenway!

5+    4/17/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: stewbeck
Pros: My home course, love it! Challenging even after close to 50 rounds played on it this year. Chainstar baskets (no "chastity belt"). I could keep going but just come out and play this course!
Cons: Only 24 holes

Best in Florida

1    1/1/2010   1/7/2010
Pros: 1) Nice big sign at the parking lot includes disc golf on the sign.

2) Portopotty at the parking lot which is good, but one in the middle of the course may also be appropriate, but I suppose there is no access.

3) Picnic tables and garbage are located under a massive tree near the first hole. This is a wonderful thing to have especially if there are tournaments played here. There also are plenty of garbage cans and benches scattered through the course. This would be helpful when behind a slow group or in tournament play.

4)Information on the tee signs is good including hole #, par, distance, and shot shape.

5) There is some incredible diversity on this course. The plant material ranges from palmettos (although trained very well and kept in good control for the most part), palm trees, massive pines and even some hardwoods.

6) How a large sandpile has turned into such a cool property is beyond me, but the erosion and massive rains have clearly played an integral role in making this course as good as it is. You can see washouts all over the place and they seem to use those areas for basket placements on more than one occassion. There are plenty of holes that have a good amount of elevation change. The majority of the holes have some elevation change, but the first few and last few have only moderate changes. Regardless this course uses the terrain effectively to create an awesome feel.

7) This course challenges you on almost every hole. The first few give you a little warmup for the arm and are relatively open, but then you work back into the rolling sandy terrain with the massive diversity in plant material. You have to shape your shots on most holes to avoid the trouble, but unlike Jack McLean where I had played earlier that day it was a little bit more forgiving of a slightly errant shot. Less luck was needed to play well on this course and it showed in my score. This ever present challenge is what takes a good course and makes it great.

8) Baskets are all in great shape and although the original 18 are different than the alternate holes they are all fine.

9) Green posts mark the pro tees and yellow posts mark the forward tees. This is very helpful in navigating because it is consistant the whole way through.

10) There is a shelter in the middle of the course and is easily accessible from about 5-6 holes.

11) Next tee signs are generally easily visible and helpful to the first timer (such as myself). Some are missing which contributed to me missing a couple holes.

12) The course is isolated from any other activity, in fac you never even get close enough to the paved walking trail to see it but I know it is there because you can see it in the parking lot.

13) The humor of a local was apparent when I saw a couple christmas ornaments in trees. It made me laugh when I saw it. I am a fan of a random gnome placement on a course (much like The Sinks in Chattanooga, TN). Not as funny as a gnome, but still something out of place on a disc golf course.
Cons: 1) Not all tees are concrete, some rubber was used on forward tees, but at least they have used something and not just given you a sandy worn out spot.

2) While the course generally challenges you at every turn, there are a couple simple plain holes. This may be by design to give you a warmup before hitting the elevation and more difficult part of the course, but I would rather have played a few more holes back in the wooded tougher area. It looks like they have more land that could have been used too.

3) Paintballers were present when I played but they were not on the course. I have no problem sharing the area with other people but they were loud and yelling and distracting to the peaceful natural setting. I can't imagine the paintballs are appreciated by the environmentalists but I suppose that would be happening there with or without the disc golf course. I do have to say if I liked paintball this would be an awesome place to play. I also would have to say I would thoroughly enjoy a dirt bike ride through this area too, so hopeful nobody gets any ideas!

4) Some of the next tee signs are missing. I got turned around a couple times because I was relying on the signs to help me through the course. I am thankful the ones are there, but it would be nice if the missing ones could reappear.

5) The layout was a little strange and I would guess it is because of the additional holes. Walking past baskets and tees to get to the next hole is always a little odd, but if it helped to make it a better course I can't be to hard on it.

6) I could imagine the course would get very hot sticky and buggy in summer, fortunately YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME IN FLORIDA IN THE SUMMER! This would be a negative for the locals, but at least the course is somewhat shaded throughout. There are always going to be shady areas to sit down and drink some water.

7) There are other plants that create a little havoc on this course and they generally are thorny. Not sure what they are but I don't like them. Fortunately there aren't any areas that are overgrown in my opinion, unless you are way off course.
Other Thoughts: Walking in to this course made me think I was in for it because of how tightly canopied the trees were. I had to look up the definition of the word hammock to complete this review so who says DGCR isn't helping us all become smarter. The area you walk through is certainly a hammock. Dense vegetation with trees, shrubs and vines creating cover over an area. It gave me a cool feeling (no not below the belt), it just created atmosphere to the course in my opinion. It feels like you are throwing on a wind swept sand dune with a large amount of foliage and plant material.

I have to agree with Roller Coasters who has said he think Ocala Greenway is the best course in Florida. I know Florida is a different kind of disc golf area, but this course doesn't play like many of the other Florida courses but I think that may be why it is the best in Florida. Most Florida courses are overgrown with Plamettos and other plant material, and this course is virtually devoid of those plants and the issues they bring to a course. This course is unique and it is also very enjoyable. You are locked away in nature on a sandy rolling terrain in a state that has almost no elevation change. It simply put is an awesome course and a wonderful property. Get here if you can, it is well worth the 15 minute drive from the interstate.

I have to give this course a 4.5 as I would play it as often as I do Silver Creek, Winter Park, Bud Hill, Bryant Lake, Kaposia, and Charlie Vettiner if all things were the same.

#1 Course

5+    7/29/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Beautiful use of nature! I always see Deer tracks but haven't seen one yet. Often see turtles though! Great layout, only one time on two side holes (4b,4c) are the holes laid out to where you could possibly throw into the oncoming fairway. This course is quite wooded but not overly. Trees either leave you praying for luck or make you fine tune your shots. Uphill (That's right - in FL) and downhill shots! Short and long holes along with most where you can see the basket others leave you with just a main direction. Mostly concrete tees. Benches at most holes for those waiting. (A few with covers to hold you through those daily FL rains). Signs at every hole describing the best route(s) to throw. (Hint, hole 9 for RHBH throwers, hyzer to the right of the big tree directly in front of the tee, don't follow the obvious path) 24 holes! We love the game, why stop at 18??!
Cons: Not very populated, I wish more people would play!

Not all concrete tees.

Mosquitos are plentiful especially in the warmer times (Welcome to FL).

There could be a porta-potty or two throughout the course (Only 1 at the beginning) as it is a long course.

The signs at the holes are getting faded and some "Next Tee" signs are gone making newcomers unable to navigate properly.

Mowing during the summer doesn't keep up with the seed pods and grass height in the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Although there are some things that could be improved upon (Mostly the care of the course) This course is by far my favorite to play! This course tests my abilities every time I play and I love it!

Bring all of your discs and Water! Especially in the summer!

Extra holes are as follows: 4b/4c - after getting your discs out of 4's basket, turn to tee # 5 and walk straight past it. Two paths are visible, the right one takes you out and the left one brings you back. 6b/6c - after taking your discs out of the basket go down the path that is to your left as you were approaching the basket. 6b is long and when done with that go up the hill to the left and make your way back towards 6. 6c is quite short with a green tee. 9b/9c - 9b is right in line with the main course (I couldn't imagine the course without 9b). After you take your disc out of 9b - continue straight and pass up hole 10 to your left. 9c is around the bunch of trees on your right.

Amazing Course

2-4    3/30/2009   3/31/2009
Review By: Roller Coasters
Pros: This course is located on one of the most beautiful tracts of land that I seen. You definitely get the sense of becoming one with nature while out on this course. This course is very well marked and makes great use of the land. It has a great mix of short and long holes with varying pars. It does play a natural 18 holes.
Cons: None that I could mention.
Other Thoughts: I loved every minute that I was on this course. I played two consecutive 18s. I met up with 3 locals during my second round. I asked if they played it as a 24 or an 18. They all said they play 18. I was looking and the only extra holes I saw were 9B and 9C. The layout and signage has good flow for holes 1-18. It was a bit tricky to find the 9th tee, (walk past the hole and then take the path down the hill to the right) but everything else was really easy to navigate. This course should be a must stop for anyone traveling south on I-75. Ocala is before the Turnpike heads east toward Orlando, so no matter what your Florida destination is, you will pass through Ocala. Do yourself a favor and take a long enough break to enjoy a truly great disc golf course.

Favorite Course

5+    1/25/2009   1/25/2009
Review By: MrDger
Pros: Out of all the courses I've played, this is by far my favorite. Besides the fact that the course is on a great piece of land where you're usually secluded from anyone else on the course, the layout of the course is probably the best I've played.

- Plenty of long throw opportunities, but only 1 or 2 that don't require really good accuracy
- Uphill/Downhill holes that use the layout of the land perfectly
- Par 4's and 5's make the round a lot more interesting
- Great mix of straight shots, anhyzers, and hyzers. Need to bring every shot in your bag.
Cons: - No facilities
- Haven't run into the paintballers, but have seen the fresh mess they leave behind
Other Thoughts: - Locals are really friendly, if name and number are on lost discs, there's a good chance you'll get a call.
- Bring plenty of water/beverages, plenty of parts of holes where the sun beams down on you.

Beautiful tricky course!

1    1/21/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: cocopop
Pros: This course is the most beautiful and challenging course that I have played in Florida.

Beside the tee pads and baskets, you wouldn't know the course was here. It is as natural of a setting as you can find in disc golf. If there wasn't a course here, it would be a great trail to walk. The seclusion and isolation of this park is refreshing and very much a plus to me.

The design of the course is smart and uses most of the natural obstacles very well. The challenges vary from uphill to down hill and from long to short. The short holes require surgical precission to avoid obstacles and gain position, and the long ones must be navigated with control and accuracy. Basket placement could not be better chosen, with every hole you have choices and decissions on your aproach. Some of the holes border on madness with almost 180 degree turns right and left, uphill and down.

I played 3 rounds and ran into 3 groups the entire day. It was a Wednesday, and it was cold out but I saw very few people out. The course is not overburdened with other activities like joggers. The paintballers, mentioned above, were nowhere to be seen. I don't know if it was the day I was there, or if the problem was resolved, but I saw or experienced no other activities on the course.
Cons: I try to list every little con I can, just for the sake of being thurough, but there's not much here to dislike.

I played with a few locals for a round and I was told that the summer months find the course a little over grown with skule and high grass off the fairways.

Navigation was a little tough for the 1st time, but after the first round I was finding my way around without a problem.

I didn't notice any facilities or water anywhere so come prepaired with water and munchies.

I have nothing to report that makes this course anything short of a must play for anyone.
Other Thoughts: I love this course and WILL play it again as often as I am in the area. Bring your A game and a full bag of tricks to have any chance of beating this course.

My favorite hole, I think it was #12!!

315 ft downhill, through the trees, and it finishes uphill to the basket. The guy I played with said it was not possible to park it. I throw 350ft easilly and thought he was nutz, so I took out my Boss and cranked it over, had a great shot through the trees and hyzered it perfectly. I thought I was pin high but it ended up 50+ft from the basket! The uphill finish makes it play more like 400ft, and the left hook is so sharp that you can't see the basket from the tee pad. I am determined to beat this hole!!

1    11/24/2007   12/24/2008
Review By: aceman
Pros: this is one of my favorite courses in the country,very scenic great mix of long and short tight and open.really enjoyed the challenge that this course offers.has good open fairways that rewards good play.
Cons: We found that on a couple holes that a spotter was necessary to keep from looking forever for disc due to blind landings due to elevation especially if you have a big arm.
Other Thoughts: If in the area its a must play,you will enjoy this course!

Challenging

4/18/2008   4/21/2008
Review By: shadehunter
Pros: 24 holes, concrete tees on main 18. Nice variety of wooded/open holes. Elevation on most holes is nice for Florida. Dont be mislead by previous review - there are 24 holes, 24 baskets, no baskets are shared.
Cons: I have never even looked at the tee pad signs here so i can not comment on their accuracy, but the course is easy to figure out.
Other Thoughts: This is a wooded Florida course...bring 100% DEET bug repellent and tons of water. If you dont mind the heat and bugs then be ready for a great playing course.