Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #1 (Taken 7/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Elevated from the norm

1    1/30/2014   2/3/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 2/4/2014
Pros: Solidly designed course in quiet, out of the way neighborhood park with paved bike/skate/walk path and picnic areas well away from the course - makes for a peaceful round.
Variety: well balanced between L/R/straight fairways, as well as wooded and semi-open. Good spread of distances from short Ace Runs to long open holes with a few long woodsy holes, too. Offers ample opportunity to whack a ton of trees, while providing several holes with the L-R space certain shots need to work, plus some low canopies and several well-thought out pin placements. Many holes are tough par 3's and I can see how some would say this course has a couple of legit par 4's from the longs. Gives you chances to work all kinds of lines and all kinds of shots.
Elevation: 10-12 holes where elevation comes into play in one way or another (a true rarity for Florida) not just mildly rolling terrain, but substantial uphills, downhills, gulleys, elevated pins, and rollaway greens. Don't expect mountains, but it's legit and nicely used to make the course more challenging, fun and interesting.
Equipment: Tee signs with distance and basic overview of the fairway along with occasional Next Tee signs help you get from hole to hole. Concrete tees were adequate and DGA baskets perform as expected. Everything was in good shape and I don't recall seeing much in the way of vandalism. Short, painted posts near each tee tell you if it's short (orange), long (lime green) or single, combined tee (green/orange). Enough benches and trash cans to not be an issue.
Aesthetics: Ocala's a fairly pleasant course, and while I personally don't find hammocks of scrub, palmetto, oak and pine separated by patches of sand particularly beautiful, it's ubiquitous to central/northern FL. Doesn't enhance the course this reviewer's opinion, but it's certainly not ugly by any stretch and your tastes may differ.
Disc golf dedicated land: you might come across a hiker or two, but there's little other traffic to contend with where the course is.
Memorable holes: I liked the elevated basket on # 8 and the use of timbers to box in the base and make it look nice - well done. There's a splendid hole (#12 maybe ??) that tees off "looking" downhill through some tight, well positioned trees, and plays back uphill and to the left of the low point - I'm not sure the basket is really any lower than the tee, but the hole can play quite down-hill off the tee, and unless you carry the green on your tee shot, you'll be throwing up a substantial incline for your approach. I also have to give props to 6B: one of the longer holes, requiring a good line off the tee and a solid upshot to a nicely sloped and reasonable well-guarded green to set up a putt.
Cons: Navigation: The original 18 was a bit iffy in spots, but not actually all that bad - it's the supplemental holes that impede flow IMHO. Even with the map I had a hard time finding them. I'm sure locals think its fine, but every course feels OK "once you get the hang of it."
Supplemental holes: they don't necessarily suck out loud, but five of the six are meh, and definitely are among the weakest holes on the course. Admittedly, 6B is a very good hole, and given how it routes away from the rest of the course, I suppose 6C makes sense to bring you back (not that I'm typically an advocate of "filler" holes). But when you consider what holes 1-18 offer, I don't see the point in adding less interesting holes, particularly when they screw up the flow on a course that already had couple of navigational rough spots. They make a not so bad situation worse while adding no new or interesting wrinkles to the experience. Even if you concede 6B and 6C, the remaining four (4B, 4C, 9B, 9C) don't add something the course was lacking; more does not necessarily = better. Using those baskets as alt pin locations on some of the more interesting, existing fairways would have been a better choice.
Sandy tees - tees themselves were fine, but Ocala would benefit from brooms more than most courses.
Hard to spot DGA baskets in the woods, especially well-guarded baskets in the shade - a blast of fluorescent paint on the lollipops would work wonders.
For what seemed like a "sleepy, out of the way" park, the small parking lot was quite crowded.
Other Thoughts: Of the ten courses I've played in the state so far, Ocala Greenway is easily one of the best (Magnolia and River City Nature Park being the others in that conversation), and is the only one of those with real topography - a welcome breath of fresh air in FLatland.

I like my courses "greener" than this and freely admit the indigenous landscape isn't my idea of a beautiful course, but the disc play here is damned good, and that's why we throw, right? Fun, challenging, and makes you think. In my mind, it isn't quite on par with some of the other 4.0 courses I've played, so I really wanted to call it a 3.5 but honestly think that has more to do with my personal taste in course aesthetics than it does with disc play. Putting that bias aside, I genuinely think the disc play here is closer to excellent than very good.

Tenting it? Santos Campground (state run) is 7 miles away. Nice campground with clean facilities.

Mixed Feelings

1    12/22/2013   12/30/2013
Review By: Horsman
Pros: - 2 very nice concrete teepads for almost every hole.

- A very nice mix of straight, hyzer and anhyzer shots.

- Tee Signs for every hole.

- Most holes are very straight forward and easy to figure out where the hole is.
Cons: - Tiny Parking Lot

- There is a sign that points to where the course is from the parking lot to point you in the right direction but onceyou go down the path there are a couple ways that it splits from there. I walked down 2 incorrect paths before choosing the correct one and finding the first hole.

- The flow from hole to hole is not the greatest. I had a heck of a timefinding a lot of the holes and missed 2 of the the alterante holes becasue I didnt know there were even there.

- There seems to be a lot of room on this course the is underutilized and could easily have 2 more pin positions for every hole.
Other Thoughts: - Overall I was a little let down by this course. I came in expecting a 4 star course and it came close but didnt live up to its rating for me.

- I liked the ammount of diffeent shots I had to use to complete this course, but its not my style of course.

- I would still recommend playing this course if you are in the area but I prefer the longer bomber course that is Pine Oaks.

Great day of Golf

1    12/6/2013   12/20/2013
Review By: WholeLottaWampum
Pros: This course offers a wide variety of shots! There are several wide open throws that allow you to let the disc rip, but there are also shots that require a little more strategy. The tee pads are all concrete and the course is well maintained. It is a very well shaded course that is consistently wooded. Great for players of all skill level!
Cons: The signage for the next hole is difficult to locate at times. There will be a brown sign posted high up on a tree pointing to the next tee pad. These are sometimes blocked by other trees. Other than that I had absolutely no problems with the course!
Other Thoughts: There are a few extra holes to be played that are just as fun as the rest! Make sure to bring water and bug spray for a fun and enjoyable day!

A very nice surprise

2-4    9/7/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
This review was updated on 12/8/2013
Pros: Nice course flow once you know the layout
Several nice holes for lefties or forehand drivers
Elevation changes
Difficult holes still felt rewarding
Wonderful scenery, the walk is worth it even if you are not playing the course :-)
Cons: Annoying to get to (coming from the highway or anywhere else in florida, it's tucked back in an out of the way place next to the Nat'l Forest)
Extra holes can be confusing the first few times
Inconsistent amateur pads
No water
Other Thoughts: Overall this course exceeded my expectations, and is worth the hour drive to play it. The locals were friendly, and overall the course made me "think" about my throws more than other area courses. It was a challenge, but in a good way. There is much more you can do to add challenge besides just lengthening the hole, or making a tiny fairway and this course seems to get it right.

The course itself is a mix of florida scrub, a couple meadows, some pine woods and live oaks. There is plenty of elevation changes, but despite the trees, the course plays fairly open. The trees are mature and if you stay close to the fairway undergrowth is generally not an issue. Benches are scattered throughout, and shade is plenty to be had. However, the course is kind of in a bowl and wind can be lacking (thus feeling hotter despite the shade at times -- sticky florida summer humidity). Some sandspurs can be found on holes 14 through 18, in sandspur season (sept - feb?).

Playing this course feels like a hike in the woods, and I find it much more relaxing than something more urban. You aren't likely to run into anyone, barring your fellow disc golfers. The course is big enough that you aren't necessarily going to even notice others playing, except at the few crossing points in the middle. Courses that can deliver that experience rank more highly in my book (this might be the only course in this area that is solely dedicated to disc golf -- Northside Park being similar, with 90% of the park being solely for disc golf). If you want a little time with the trees and your discs, this is the course to play.

Out There

1    8/11/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Ocala Greenway may not actually be far from civilization. You drive through a neighborhood to reach the entrance, after all. But it feels as if it is a world away from anything. Part of that is the long drive that it takes to get to Ocala from, well, anywhere. But mostly, it is due to the raw, almost primordial landscape on the course itself. We saw one other player out there, a solitary gent who we let play through.

The terrain is best described as light woods, with a mix of sand and soil supporting a multitude of trees with little underbrush. By trees i mean big beefy trunks with thick branches covered in surprisingly solid leaves just waiting to knock a disc down. Considering that this is Florida it's mostly flat but the natural escarpments are used well to create a few elevation changes. (Typically, there will be a sharp rise at one point in the fairway, after which its flat again to the pin.)

The Greenway also features some of the nicest benches I've seen on a course. They aren't on every hole but they all feature a small roof for shade. This makes a ton of sense because A: it gets hot out there, and B: its extremely likely that you will wait out a short downpour at some point. Very thoughtful. They really did think a lot about the needed amenities here.
Cons: That said, this course needs next tee signs badly. There are a multitude of trails out there, which I assume are used for dirtbiking or hiking perhaps. Some of the greens have several trails leading away that could go to a tee. Frequently had to split up and yell back and forth when the next hole was found.

Other Thoughts: I would love for this to be my local course. Great mix of shots that I could play again and again. But it falls into a bit of a grey area for me. Not awesome enough to be a destination. Not close enough to anything to be a regular course. If I regularly traveled I75, this would be a frequent stop and if there was a 3.75 option, this would be the ideal candidate for it.

Tight, Tight, Tight

1    8/5/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: djpatch28
Pros: Tight holes
Elevation variety
Extra holes
Under tree cover for a majority of the course
Nice baskets
Doable signs
Tee pads!
Cons: Too tight in spots
Hard to follow the setup, especially the extra holes... missed a few of those
Sandy...should have worn shoes, not sandals
Other Thoughts: I got rained on at hole #15 and it was a Godsend...so hot, even with all that tree cover. I was the only one out there and wanted to play another 18...darn you rain! Fun for my first time out, when i visit the state again, I will gladly play this again!

very nice course

1    7/14/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: boursin
Pros: Great scenery, not a house to be seen. Some nice openholes and some that need target throwing. Some nice hills (for FLA). great landscape nice pads (concrete) pins have great placement Just a super course
Cons: It is very hot in July, other than that no cons at all except navigation takes a little time to find a couple of the holes. But
Who Cares. It was super fun
Other Thoughts: If you have a chance play this course you will not be dissapointed. No really long throws but some good intermediate distances. Quiet and serene

1    2/12/2013   2/12/2013
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: Wow! What a great course. This course is a journey through some atypical Florida terrain. This place runs from flat to ridiculously hilly (by Florida standards). It is not very often in Florida that you have uphill and downhill holes. That was a thrill! This course is in some pretty thick woods. The fairways are still very clear and well defined. It would be had to lose a disc here because there are enough trees to challenge your game and make you shape your shot without punishing you ridiculously with lost discs due to out of control rough. There were some "next tee" signs that were sometimes helpful. Teepads were generous. Holes were in good condition. Hole length was pretty challenging, especially if you play all par 3's. No water...that is a plus for me when playing a course for the first time. I hate losing a disc to some water I didn't know was there. Now, from a longer term perspective (if I was going to play this course regularly), the lack of water might be more of a negative.
Cons: The only real con is navigation. Holes 6-9 get very tricky and we walked all over the place on those holes trying to find them all (and we even had a map). I wish they would either add more "next tee" arrows or else take some of the ones off the obvious holes and put them from 6-9. Other than that, no complaints here!
Other Thoughts: I will be playing this course again whenever I had the chance. My wife came along to walk this round with me, which she hasn't done in years. She loved the course and the beauty of the woods. People were friendly and the course was in great shape. Some great locals who take great care of this course. Maybe needs more trash cans and some day updated tee signs.

great course

2-4    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: pimpski03
Pros: This course has a mix of everything. Very clean! I liked how you can play the entire course and not see a single car or road or person walking across your fairway. The course is deep in the woods and provides some great scenery. Fairways are not easy, but are not too chalenging to where you cant throw with out hitting trees.
Cons: 1st time playing can be a little difficult navigating hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: Will definately come back to this course. It is worth the drive and would be a good day trip.

Worth the Drive

1    9/26/2011   3/22/2012
Review By: Oruatyrim
Pros: *Varied shots-tight fairways, open fairways, anhyzers, hyzers, straight, uphill/downhill.
*Challenging course- nothing too easy, but nothing so hard that you'll want to run away.
*Very well marked holes-once you found the teepad, it was easy to locate the basket and select a path to get to it. The signs are very accurate.
*Good use of terrain-Fully utilized what is out there, whether it be a skinny ATV trail, a nice open field with a protected green, or slight hills for elevation changes.
*More than 18 Holes- Would have been fine with the 18, but the addition of the b and c holes I got to experience more disc golf that day!
Cons: *Navigation from basket to tee-Bring a guide. It's sometimes confusing on how to get from 1 hole to the next especially with the addition of so many extra holes, it can get confusing coming back across fairways, and moving around to find the next teepad. It wasn't too easy to locate hole #1 without reading the reviews and descriptions here first.
*Port-a-Potty-I brought my wife and parents out to try and get them 'into' playing. Most of the courses I bring her to, has #9 ending near a restroom. This one is not to female or eldery couple friendly.
Hot-Not really a con, but the course is only 75% covered by foliage while playing. In the summer, bring sunscreen and a hat.
Not too beginner friendly- Again, took out some new people and they had a difficult time 'having fun' because the course wasn't too forgiving at times.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great time for a Disc Golfer. I wouldn't recommend bringing family out to this course unless they want to just go walking along. I would like to see a map printed out and made available at the kiosk in the parking lot. It would help people navigate to the first hole, and through the course.

I find myself describing Hole 9 to my friends quite often as it is one my most remembered holes anywhere. Also there was an alternate pin hole on either 4 or 6 that was just a skinny trail straight up the gut that was quite memorable. It was beautiful and with the overhanging palm trees on both sides it felt like I was throwing in a rainforest or a jungle in South America.

Being from NC this course was the most challenging in the area and one I would place on par with the courses in my area. 100% worth that 54minute drive I had to make to get my 'fix'. Next time I travel that way I will definately be stopping by again, I just won't bring the family out.

< Prev 1 2 3 4