Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #15 (Taken 7/2010)

Favorite Course

5+    1/25/2009   1/25/2009
Review By: MrDger
Pros: Out of all the courses I've played, this is by far my favorite. Besides the fact that the course is on a great piece of land where you're usually secluded from anyone else on the course, the layout of the course is probably the best I've played.

- Plenty of long throw opportunities, but only 1 or 2 that don't require really good accuracy
- Uphill/Downhill holes that use the layout of the land perfectly
- Par 4's and 5's make the round a lot more interesting
- Great mix of straight shots, anhyzers, and hyzers. Need to bring every shot in your bag.
Cons: - No facilities
- Haven't run into the paintballers, but have seen the fresh mess they leave behind
Other Thoughts: - Locals are really friendly, if name and number are on lost discs, there's a good chance you'll get a call.
- Bring plenty of water/beverages, plenty of parts of holes where the sun beams down on you.

Beautiful tricky course!

1    1/21/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: cocopop
Pros: This course is the most beautiful and challenging course that I have played in Florida.

Beside the tee pads and baskets, you wouldn't know the course was here. It is as natural of a setting as you can find in disc golf. If there wasn't a course here, it would be a great trail to walk. The seclusion and isolation of this park is refreshing and very much a plus to me.

The design of the course is smart and uses most of the natural obstacles very well. The challenges vary from uphill to down hill and from long to short. The short holes require surgical precission to avoid obstacles and gain position, and the long ones must be navigated with control and accuracy. Basket placement could not be better chosen, with every hole you have choices and decissions on your aproach. Some of the holes border on madness with almost 180 degree turns right and left, uphill and down.

I played 3 rounds and ran into 3 groups the entire day. It was a Wednesday, and it was cold out but I saw very few people out. The course is not overburdened with other activities like joggers. The paintballers, mentioned above, were nowhere to be seen. I don't know if it was the day I was there, or if the problem was resolved, but I saw or experienced no other activities on the course.
Cons: I try to list every little con I can, just for the sake of being thurough, but there's not much here to dislike.

I played with a few locals for a round and I was told that the summer months find the course a little over grown with skule and high grass off the fairways.

Navigation was a little tough for the 1st time, but after the first round I was finding my way around without a problem.

I didn't notice any facilities or water anywhere so come prepaired with water and munchies.

I have nothing to report that makes this course anything short of a must play for anyone.
Other Thoughts: I love this course and WILL play it again as often as I am in the area. Bring your A game and a full bag of tricks to have any chance of beating this course.

My favorite hole, I think it was #12!!

315 ft downhill, through the trees, and it finishes uphill to the basket. The guy I played with said it was not possible to park it. I throw 350ft easilly and thought he was nutz, so I took out my Boss and cranked it over, had a great shot through the trees and hyzered it perfectly. I thought I was pin high but it ended up 50+ft from the basket! The uphill finish makes it play more like 400ft, and the left hook is so sharp that you can't see the basket from the tee pad. I am determined to beat this hole!!

Worth the Trip off I-75

1    12/30/2008   1/6/2009
Review By: hooboy
This review was updated on 1/8/2009
Pros: Self contained course (for the most part, see cons below). Good layout, varied distances, two tee pads per hole. Mostly wooded, though not heavily wooded. Lots of elevation changes, even in Florida. This course will challenge you, and its a good walk. The par markings seem very generous (one par 5 at only 315 ft. - obstacles) so you can get an "ego" score, this can also be a con depending on your perspective. Several holes perched atop sand hills which was something new for me. If you are intermediate or above you will be challenged, but you can also score here.
Cons: One BIG one, there was an active paint ball game on holes 8-9. Being alone, in a strange place, I'm not going near guns of any kind. I skipped 8-9-9B-9C. My next con, they have 24 holes, but the "B-C" versions of 4, 9, and I think 12, are not well marked. I simply don't like that concept. Please point me to the right holes, or just number them 1-24. I played 18 holes total by accident - a local pointed me to 4B-4C, and then I skipped the paint ball holes, and never saw 12B-C. GET THOSE PAINTBALLERS OFF THE COURSE. Its pretty isolated when you are out there, I'm not really security conscious, but it felt a little dicey out there with gun fire resonating in the distance. No water on the course, bring lots with you for all 24 holes. Walking and throwing on a sand base is an extra challenge and also tiring. The only bathroom is a port-a-potty in the parking lot. Nowhere to wash up after your round.
Other Thoughts: Course is a great challenge. I enjoyed it, the paintballers aside. I was on a road trip home to Atlanta from my parents in Ft. Myers. Course is 16 miles off I-75, but you can make a "triangle" to save time. I got off at exit 341 heading north and back on I-75 at exit 358, hence the 16-17 mile "triangle". Directions on the DG review web site are spot on heading north on I-75. I'll go back on another trip to Florida, maybe the paintballers will be gone.

1    11/24/2007   12/24/2008
Review By: aceman
Pros: this is one of my favorite courses in the country,very scenic great mix of long and short tight and open.really enjoyed the challenge that this course offers.has good open fairways that rewards good play.
Cons: We found that on a couple holes that a spotter was necessary to keep from looking forever for disc due to blind landings due to elevation especially if you have a big arm.
Other Thoughts: If in the area its a must play,you will enjoy this course!

Loads of fun

2-4    11/22/2008   11/25/2008
Review By: crouchingwombat
This review was updated on 1/6/2009
Pros: All of the holes are great. It's a nice walk through the woods and the Florida Trail even goes through!!! The elevation is nice, it is something you don't get too see to often in Florida.i Some holes are up on sand banks and require an upward shot, it takes a bit to get used to but is a nice change in pace. A few holes ace B and C options and can give you more to play. This can also be a con if you are not familiar with the course.
Cons: I guess the heat and bugs could be bad. There is no water so you might need to bring your own. No really a problem but the holes are spread out and it takes a bit of time to play a full 18 or more.
Other Thoughts: Great fun and a change of pace for Florida.

my home

6/29/2008   6/29/2008
Review By: steujr
Pros: my home course play every sat. at ten lots of trees for you to shoot around more of a low, long shots. no water but lots of shrubs and thornes to capture your disc.
Cons: very hot so bring lots of water.............did i mention BRING LOTS OF WATER. long course (24 holes)
Other Thoughts: to play 9 holes, play 1,2,3,4,4b,4c,5,6,6b
or play holes, 1,2,3,4,then cross over 4b to 14,15,16,17,18

A very good course that could be great

5+    6/6/2004   6/6/2008
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 5/4/2011
Pros: This course is situated in a gorgeous greenway. The only other park users are found on the bike/blade path that doesn't come into play on the disc golf course.

Decent elevation changes and beautiful big pines contribute to a wonderful walk through the secluded woods.

The course favors a strong arm, but also tests technical skills. There is a good variety of hole looks and shots required. The challenge factor is higher than many courses, but not the absolute toughest.

Excellent tee signs and benches, ease of navigation, and low schule factor also contribute to this being a very enjoyable/ challenging walk through the woods.
Cons: This property is one of the best in Florida. It's a shame that an amazing course doesn't live there.

The course doesn't route back to the parking lot after nine holes, which can make for a tiring round lugging around extra food and water.

There's plenty of room to have an amazing 18 hole par 60+ layout instead of the 24. A few of the holes are throw-aways.

Some of the baskets are strategically placed on sand mounds, which are beginning to create erosion problems. These could be fine if the sand hills were reinforced or if the baskets had alternate placements which were rotated. Unfortunately, all the baskets have been welded into the sleeves, precluding the addition of alternate locations.
Other Thoughts: A couple quick notes that pertain to all my course reviews:

I don't use a numerical "system" for coming up with a final rating, such as 20% for aesthetics, 20% for challenge, 30% for safety, and 50% for amenities, or the like, except for the fact that I automatically deduct .5 for all 9-hole courses. I've established a base "criteria" based on the fact that more courses will receive a 3 than any other rating. I've created my number standards by grouping "like calibre" courses together and then comparing them to other groups of courses.

A few things that do weigh heavily in my mind are ease of course navigation, degree of nasty schule, likelihood of losing discs, degree of on-course crime, property aesthetics, hole variety, and good score distribution for a standardized gold, blue, white, or red skill level.

Using the 1-5 scale with a "normal" distribution in mind, most courses will fall in the 2.5-3.5 range and nearly all courses will fall in the 2-4 range. I believe that we've yet to create a "5" disc golf course. With that in mind, my highest rating rating given thus far is a 4.5, given to Idlewild. I'll never give an "all par 3's" course higher than a 4 rating.

My reviews are not meant to hurt the feelings of any designers and/or clubs, but I honestly believe that some of our courses do more harm for the sport than good. These courses have received ratings in the 0-1 range.

Nice Florida Course

6/4/2008   6/5/2008
Review By: overdose
Pros: It is great to see a course in Florida that has hills. With this only being my 4th course I have played it was great to play on something new.
Smelled great, I love the pine tree smell.
Cons: Wow, it was hot. It had some shade but still Florida is way too hot to play in the summer.

Challenging

4/18/2008   4/21/2008
Review By: shadehunter
Pros: 24 holes, concrete tees on main 18. Nice variety of wooded/open holes. Elevation on most holes is nice for Florida. Dont be mislead by previous review - there are 24 holes, 24 baskets, no baskets are shared.
Cons: I have never even looked at the tee pad signs here so i can not comment on their accuracy, but the course is easy to figure out.
Other Thoughts: This is a wooded Florida course...bring 100% DEET bug repellent and tons of water. If you dont mind the heat and bugs then be ready for a great playing course.

Great Course but not well marked.

10/19/2007   1/3/2008
Review By: Marv Vega
Pros: Great course with a good mix of wooded and open shots. Some elevation changes make this course even more challenging. Most of the holes were fairly challenging.
Cons: The holes aren't marked as clearly as they should, the distances seem to be off as well. Also a few of the baskets serve multiple holes and this isn't marked very well either.
Other Thoughts: Bring the bug spray and stay away from this one in the summer.