Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #8 (Taken 7/2010)

Tight, Tight, Tight

1    8/5/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: djpatch28
Pros: Tight holes
Elevation variety
Extra holes
Under tree cover for a majority of the course
Nice baskets
Doable signs
Tee pads!
Cons: Too tight in spots
Hard to follow the setup, especially the extra holes... missed a few of those
Sandy...should have worn shoes, not sandals
Other Thoughts: I got rained on at hole #15 and it was a Godsend...so hot, even with all that tree cover. I was the only one out there and wanted to play another 18...darn you rain! Fun for my first time out, when i visit the state again, I will gladly play this again!

very nice course

1    7/14/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: boursin
Pros: Great scenery, not a house to be seen. Some nice openholes and some that need target throwing. Some nice hills (for FLA). great landscape nice pads (concrete) pins have great placement Just a super course
Cons: It is very hot in July, other than that no cons at all except navigation takes a little time to find a couple of the holes. But
Who Cares. It was super fun
Other Thoughts: If you have a chance play this course you will not be dissapointed. No really long throws but some good intermediate distances. Quiet and serene

1    2/12/2013   2/12/2013
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: Wow! What a great course. This course is a journey through some atypical Florida terrain. This place runs from flat to ridiculously hilly (by Florida standards). It is not very often in Florida that you have uphill and downhill holes. That was a thrill! This course is in some pretty thick woods. The fairways are still very clear and well defined. It would be had to lose a disc here because there are enough trees to challenge your game and make you shape your shot without punishing you ridiculously with lost discs due to out of control rough. There were some "next tee" signs that were sometimes helpful. Teepads were generous. Holes were in good condition. Hole length was pretty challenging, especially if you play all par 3's. No water...that is a plus for me when playing a course for the first time. I hate losing a disc to some water I didn't know was there. Now, from a longer term perspective (if I was going to play this course regularly), the lack of water might be more of a negative.
Cons: The only real con is navigation. Holes 6-9 get very tricky and we walked all over the place on those holes trying to find them all (and we even had a map). I wish they would either add more "next tee" arrows or else take some of the ones off the obvious holes and put them from 6-9. Other than that, no complaints here!
Other Thoughts: I will be playing this course again whenever I had the chance. My wife came along to walk this round with me, which she hasn't done in years. She loved the course and the beauty of the woods. People were friendly and the course was in great shape. Some great locals who take great care of this course. Maybe needs more trash cans and some day updated tee signs.

great course

2-4    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: pimpski03
Pros: This course has a mix of everything. Very clean! I liked how you can play the entire course and not see a single car or road or person walking across your fairway. The course is deep in the woods and provides some great scenery. Fairways are not easy, but are not too chalenging to where you cant throw with out hitting trees.
Cons: 1st time playing can be a little difficult navigating hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: Will definately come back to this course. It is worth the drive and would be a good day trip.

Worth the Drive

1    9/26/2011   3/22/2012
Review By: Oruatyrim
Pros: *Varied shots-tight fairways, open fairways, anhyzers, hyzers, straight, uphill/downhill.
*Challenging course- nothing too easy, but nothing so hard that you'll want to run away.
*Very well marked holes-once you found the teepad, it was easy to locate the basket and select a path to get to it. The signs are very accurate.
*Good use of terrain-Fully utilized what is out there, whether it be a skinny ATV trail, a nice open field with a protected green, or slight hills for elevation changes.
*More than 18 Holes- Would have been fine with the 18, but the addition of the b and c holes I got to experience more disc golf that day!
Cons: *Navigation from basket to tee-Bring a guide. It's sometimes confusing on how to get from 1 hole to the next especially with the addition of so many extra holes, it can get confusing coming back across fairways, and moving around to find the next teepad. It wasn't too easy to locate hole #1 without reading the reviews and descriptions here first.
*Port-a-Potty-I brought my wife and parents out to try and get them 'into' playing. Most of the courses I bring her to, has #9 ending near a restroom. This one is not to female or eldery couple friendly.
Hot-Not really a con, but the course is only 75% covered by foliage while playing. In the summer, bring sunscreen and a hat.
Not too beginner friendly- Again, took out some new people and they had a difficult time 'having fun' because the course wasn't too forgiving at times.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great time for a Disc Golfer. I wouldn't recommend bringing family out to this course unless they want to just go walking along. I would like to see a map printed out and made available at the kiosk in the parking lot. It would help people navigate to the first hole, and through the course.

I find myself describing Hole 9 to my friends quite often as it is one my most remembered holes anywhere. Also there was an alternate pin hole on either 4 or 6 that was just a skinny trail straight up the gut that was quite memorable. It was beautiful and with the overhanging palm trees on both sides it felt like I was throwing in a rainforest or a jungle in South America.

Being from NC this course was the most challenging in the area and one I would place on par with the courses in my area. 100% worth that 54minute drive I had to make to get my 'fix'. Next time I travel that way I will definately be stopping by again, I just won't bring the family out.

1    2/20/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This course is one of the better ones I've played in FL. It's not as open as I thought it would be which makes you have to work harder and shape your shots. Didn't get to play this with any locals so a few of the holes on the back 9 were a little tricky to make out where the basket was in relationship to the tee sign. Really enjoyed the course and would go back again just a little more off I-95 than I expected. Great use of elevation, I was actually very impressed with a few of the holes. Lots of blind tee shots made for some interesting approach shots. I'll play this one again if I'm passing through. Very well maintained and lots of benches at almost every hole.
Cons: I wish there were a few more open holes on this course, guess that's just personal preference, but it's a little more wooded than most other courses I've played in FL. Had several people walk through the course while I was playing (walkers, joggers, mount. bikers) so just be aware.
Other Thoughts: Course is very easy to navigate, had the map on my phone, only used it maybe once, but other than that it's a fun course that makes you work for birdies.

Awesome Time

1    12/31/2011   1/3/2012
Review By: 1978
Pros: I played this course on my way to Venice Beach from Charlotte, NC and I really enjoyed it. There is a wide variety of hole types here straight, left and right. It seems as though (while limited) every possible use of elevation was utilized. Longer (350'+) holes weren't just bombs. You still had to shape shots through corridors of small leaf oaks and palms. It would be difficult to lose a disc here and the sandy landing areas were easy on discs, flairs, and roll aways from raised basket locations. The course was clean and complete with benches, tee signs, 24 holes, 12' pads (in most cases) trash cans and a port-a-john. Layout was fun and I found no boring holes. Birdies are numerous out here (if you can putt) but 4's are easy to come by too.
Cons: I rated this a course a 4 so... my Con's aren't really reasons to skip this course, just things that keep it from a 5.

Some of the 6 alt holes have shorter tee pads. The normal hole pads are so nice, the shorter ones really stand out. A few holes require you to walk back down the fairway of the hole you just played. 1 loop of the alt holes has you cross back across the course to continue on to the next set of holes. In some areas trees need some trimming around the basket to make a good 30' circle for putting. A few holes could stand to be slightly more fair and lose the poke and pray aspects. Play dictates that all holes are par 3's, but there are some tweeners there that could easily be par 4's. The tee signs have a very different par structure (400' par 5's) A few holes are guarded by trees with very low canopies. This really makes it tough to make the right shot. A few holes would benefit from better next tee signage.
Other Thoughts: This is a must stop if traveling I75 through Florida. I met the course designer, builder, and league TD. He was a really good guy and we need more people like him in Disc Golf. Take some time out of your trip to Florida and Play Ocala Greenway.

Love this course

2-4    10/1/2011   10/4/2011
Review By: joesouthfla
Pros: This has got to be one of the best courses in all of Florida and now one of my top 10 courses ever. The course has a great varity of holes, and several with elevation. Florida is mostly flat but not this course.
Cons: No water, porta johns
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Ocala area this Is a must play course.

Greenway Great

1    8/3/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Ocala's Greenway DGC winds through lots of trees and up and down hilly ridges. Very fun lines changing directions and varying distance over 24 holes. More change of elevation than I have seen at any other Florida course. Not that there are long runs up and down large hills, but enough to add another dimension and a lot of fun. The tee signs have maps and length of each hole. Almost all of the boxes are concrete and good sized. Many of the holes have short tees as well. Others playing the course were helpful and friendly. I didn't see anyone around the course not playing golf. Good course if you like to bring your dog with you.
Cons: I can only complain about the fact that I didn't bring a course map. I missed the supplemental holes after hole four and hole six. Backtracking to find them in the afternoon heat was not much fun.
Other Thoughts: Ocala Greenway DGC is a great mix of fun and challenging, and I would include it among my favorite courses in Florida or anywhere. I am glad I was able to include the course on my vacation, and recommend a visit to any disc golfer who visits or lives in the area.

One of Central Florida's Best!

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Concrete tee boxes (Greens)
2. Good tee signage indicating distance and par (though the basket locations are sometimes different from where they appear on the signs)
3. Next Tee signs (still confusing if you're playing it for the first time, but good for following rounds)
4. Great variety of shots required and will challenge both righty and lefty players equally
5. Adequate seating and trash receptacles
6. Port-o-Let on site (better than nothing)
7. 24 holes with almost no repeats / deja vu
8. Good challenge for different skill levels (maybe a little tough for beginners, but definitely playable!)
Cons:
1. Difficult to navigate for first-timer
2. Yellow tee pads weren't concrete (rubber mats are playable, though)
3. No water in play
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a challenging and fun one... The elevation changes make for some tough and interesting shots, and the layout (though very confusing for a first timer) works. I personally enjoyed #8, the Lighthouse, with the uphill and small ravines of the fairway ending with a putt to an elevated basket - don't miss or you're down in the gulley! Each hole had a different challenge, whether it was distance, pin location, tree location, elevation, or various combinations... With some updating of the signage, all concrete tee boxes, and maybe some permanent restrooms, the course would score higher. In the end, this is a great course in Central Florida and if you're in the area I'd strongly recommend it (even if you have to drive a ways!).