Ocala, FL
Ocala Greenway DGC Share

1    2/20/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This course is one of the better ones I've played in FL. It's not as open as I thought it would be which makes you have to work harder and shape your shots. Didn't get to play this with any locals so a few of the holes on the back 9 were a little tricky to make out where the basket was in relationship to the tee sign. Really enjoyed the course and would go back again just a little more off I-95 than I expected. Great use of elevation, I was actually very impressed with a few of the holes. Lots of blind tee shots made for some interesting approach shots. I'll play this one again if I'm passing through. Very well maintained and lots of benches at almost every hole.
Cons: I wish there were a few more open holes on this course, guess that's just personal preference, but it's a little more wooded than most other courses I've played in FL. Had several people walk through the course while I was playing (walkers, joggers, mount. bikers) so just be aware.
Other Thoughts: Course is very easy to navigate, had the map on my phone, only used it maybe once, but other than that it's a fun course that makes you work for birdies.

Awesome Time

1    12/31/2011   1/3/2012
Review By: 1978
Pros: I played this course on my way to Venice Beach from Charlotte, NC and I really enjoyed it. There is a wide variety of hole types here straight, left and right. It seems as though (while limited) every possible use of elevation was utilized. Longer (350'+) holes weren't just bombs. You still had to shape shots through corridors of small leaf oaks and palms. It would be difficult to lose a disc here and the sandy landing areas were easy on discs, flairs, and roll aways from raised basket locations. The course was clean and complete with benches, tee signs, 24 holes, 12' pads (in most cases) trash cans and a port-a-john. Layout was fun and I found no boring holes. Birdies are numerous out here (if you can putt) but 4's are easy to come by too.
Cons: I rated this a course a 4 so... my Con's aren't really reasons to skip this course, just things that keep it from a 5.

Some of the 6 alt holes have shorter tee pads. The normal hole pads are so nice, the shorter ones really stand out. A few holes require you to walk back down the fairway of the hole you just played. 1 loop of the alt holes has you cross back across the course to continue on to the next set of holes. In some areas trees need some trimming around the basket to make a good 30' circle for putting. A few holes could stand to be slightly more fair and lose the poke and pray aspects. Play dictates that all holes are par 3's, but there are some tweeners there that could easily be par 4's. The tee signs have a very different par structure (400' par 5's) A few holes are guarded by trees with very low canopies. This really makes it tough to make the right shot. A few holes would benefit from better next tee signage.
Other Thoughts: This is a must stop if traveling I75 through Florida. I met the course designer, builder, and league TD. He was a really good guy and we need more people like him in Disc Golf. Take some time out of your trip to Florida and Play Ocala Greenway.

Love this course

2-4    10/1/2011   10/4/2011
Review By: joesouthfla
Pros: This has got to be one of the best courses in all of Florida and now one of my top 10 courses ever. The course has a great varity of holes, and several with elevation. Florida is mostly flat but not this course.
Cons: No water, porta johns
Other Thoughts: If you are in the Ocala area this Is a must play course.

Greenway Great

1    8/3/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Ocala's Greenway DGC winds through lots of trees and up and down hilly ridges. Very fun lines changing directions and varying distance over 24 holes. More change of elevation than I have seen at any other Florida course. Not that there are long runs up and down large hills, but enough to add another dimension and a lot of fun. The tee signs have maps and length of each hole. Almost all of the boxes are concrete and good sized. Many of the holes have short tees as well. Others playing the course were helpful and friendly. I didn't see anyone around the course not playing golf. Good course if you like to bring your dog with you.
Cons: I can only complain about the fact that I didn't bring a course map. I missed the supplemental holes after hole four and hole six. Backtracking to find them in the afternoon heat was not much fun.
Other Thoughts: Ocala Greenway DGC is a great mix of fun and challenging, and I would include it among my favorite courses in Florida or anywhere. I am glad I was able to include the course on my vacation, and recommend a visit to any disc golfer who visits or lives in the area.

One of Central Florida's Best!

1    5/4/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: stsren
Pros:
1. Concrete tee boxes (Greens)
2. Good tee signage indicating distance and par (though the basket locations are sometimes different from where they appear on the signs)
3. Next Tee signs (still confusing if you're playing it for the first time, but good for following rounds)
4. Great variety of shots required and will challenge both righty and lefty players equally
5. Adequate seating and trash receptacles
6. Port-o-Let on site (better than nothing)
7. 24 holes with almost no repeats / deja vu
8. Good challenge for different skill levels (maybe a little tough for beginners, but definitely playable!)
Cons:
1. Difficult to navigate for first-timer
2. Yellow tee pads weren't concrete (rubber mats are playable, though)
3. No water in play
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is a challenging and fun one... The elevation changes make for some tough and interesting shots, and the layout (though very confusing for a first timer) works. I personally enjoyed #8, the Lighthouse, with the uphill and small ravines of the fairway ending with a putt to an elevated basket - don't miss or you're down in the gulley! Each hole had a different challenge, whether it was distance, pin location, tree location, elevation, or various combinations... With some updating of the signage, all concrete tee boxes, and maybe some permanent restrooms, the course would score higher. In the end, this is a great course in Central Florida and if you're in the area I'd strongly recommend it (even if you have to drive a ways!).

Fantastic course

2-4    4/20/2010   2/10/2011
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 8/17/2012
Pros: Everytime I go back to Florida I stop by this course simply because it is half a block from my dads house. Location for me is a huge pro but the course speaks for it's self.

DG exclusive. Hole layout can be a bit tricky the first time through but with DGCR maps it was easy. Great mix of short and long holes with plenty for left and right handers. Some very slight evlevation in play but well placed to add course quality. The baskets were nice and not rusty and the course was well mantained. Plenty to offer for ace runs and big bombs. I am really a big fan of the fact that this course plays all the elevation in the area to its best potential.
Cons: Some minor teepad issues need to be resolved if they haven't already. I would love to see running water.
Other Thoughts: A perfect hidden gem to play a round at and always feel good about the way I shot. It's no DeLa but it's just right.

Solid FL Course

1    1/20/2011   1/29/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: Ocala Greenway is a great semi-wild course located near a small off the main drag community. The course itself has tons of variety in terms of both distances and lines off the tee. Several holes allow you to pick and choose what approach you want to take while others have tree-lined fairways to shape your shot. Several greens up on hillsides also add a little bit of extra challenge for the short game. Although not grueling in terms of par 4 and 5 holes, several of the long par three holes would be an achievement for anyone to birdie and nearly all holes seemed like they had enough teeth to really bite back if you threw a poor drive or approach. Even after playing a bunch of rounds at this course, I bet it retains a lot of its charm.

On a side note, this course really reminded me quite a bit of the North Star course in Idaho - The shots and feel of the layout are very similar even though they are separated by thousands of miles.
Cons: While not an incredibly challenging course, I wouldn't recommend bringing a newer player out here because of the rough and length of many of the corridor holes.

A small sign to indicate exactly which direction hole 1 is in would have been helpful, we walked down to 17 before finding out we went the wrong direction. Other than that, navigation was not terribly difficult for a couple of first-timers. As other reviewers stated, once you are on the course you will have very limited opportunity to restock on water or hit the bathroom so just a heads-up!
Other Thoughts: We met several neighbors walking through the course who had not ever heard of disc golf which I thought was a bit strange being that the course was installed in 2003. My best guess is that people aren't usually hitting up Ocala early on a weekday like we did. Everyone seems friendly here and interested in the game.

Secluded course

1    7/28/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: 1) Secluded. Played in the middle of the day during the week & I was the only one out there.
2) Saw plenty of wildlife, none to dangerous.
3) Great use of elevation chage.
4) Each hole has it's own character. Nothing boring here.
5) Extra holes
6) Post markers at the tees
7) Not every hole is a par 3. 4 & 5 par holes makes for a good birdie oppurtunity for new players without a long throw.
8) Benches & trashcans throughout the course.
Cons: 1) Hole 9 does not finish up front. Sometimes you need that mid-game potty break.
2) Got lost going to 6c took 30 min to get back on track. Find a local if possible for your first round.
3) Took a little searching to find the first hole. Not to bad, found it first try, just wasn't sure I was going the right way until I ran into it.
4) Some tee signs missing.
Other Thoughts: Great overall course. The play itself was a blast, will be going back soon with the wife & daughter. The course could use some more signage to help newcomers navigate the holes, including getting to the first hole. Bring plenty of water & hit the porta potty before you go out.

Great secluded course

1    5/15/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 9/15/2010
Pros: * Secluded - No outside "noise interference" (i.e. NO: kids on jungle-gyms, roadways, barking dogs, etc.)
* Multiple Tee-pads - Gives you variety whether you want a longer tougher challenge or a shorter game if you happen to bring someone new to the sport
* Concrete Tee-pads on the Pro Tees
* Tee-signs - The tee-signs were accurate and gave you a good idea of where to drive on a blind hole
* DGA baskets - Double-chained baskets make for a more confident putt in my opinion (i.e. less "spit-outs")
* 24 holes! - It was great getting to play those extra holes, it sure beats just 18
* Benches at most holes, including a couple of picnic tables throughout the course
* Trashcans - They are scattered throughout the course
* Good use of elevation - Florida can be known for being relatively flat but the designer has made great use of the somewhat moderate elevation in this area.
* Port-o-potty at the beginning of the course (but this is also a con)
* Great shot variety - Every hole out on this course was a new experience. Definitely not a "monotonous" course.
* Locals! - Everyone I ran into out there had a great attitude and was very kind (Including the TD that happened to be there while a tourney was going on: He mentioned he was from NC as well and gave us a couple of beers from his cooler he had on the back of his golf-cart! Thanks guy!)
* Wildlife abounds here - We saw lots of diverse wildlife here including a large gopher tortoise that was poking his head out of a large hole in the ground. Saw a beautiful Kite-tailed Hawk flying overhead as well as some interesting "Big Headed" ants. Numerous cool lizards as well.... (Thankfully we didnt run into any rattlers that have been known to be on the course!)
Cons: * Navigation - I had to contact a DGCR member to guide me through the course before coming to play this one.... I suggest you do the same. If it hadnt been for a course guide, I dont think I would have been able to find the first tee, let alone navigate through the course.
* The port-o-potty - I had to use it (twice) before starting the round and lets just say I should have brought some nose-plugs or at least stopped by a store to use the restroom before coming to play.
* No multiple pin placements - this could be an erosion/wear problem for this course in the future.
* Sand - It started to get a little annoying after my shoes were filled with sand after only about 4 holes. I used to live in the panhandle of Florida and I feel that sand only belongs on the beach, but its just a minor gripe. It gets all over your discs. The sand on the ground did help keep the disc from rolling away after a missed putt though so in that case it could be seen as a "pro".
* Lack of defined fairways on some of the holes
* The shorter/alternate tee-pads were not concrete
* This course could use a little more TLC/clean-up on some of the fairways
Other Thoughts: I contacted I3ooI3oo before coming down to Ocala and he met up with me at the course. He was fun to play with and an all around great guy. If you plan on playing this course it would be wise to contact him before coming down due to the navigation issues. He will be able to show you all of the added/extra holes as well.

Every local I talked to was just as nice as can be. That really makes the course experience that much more enjoyable.

It was very hot there on the day that we played, and I would suggest applying some sunscreen before starting your round (if you play it in the summertime like we did!). Also: BE SURE to bring extra water.... You'll need it.

A few of the reviews before me had mentioned paint-ballers but there were none to be found there that day.... good thing.

I know this course has gotten 4.5 disc ratings in the past but after playing a course like Bracketts Bluff, I had to give OGDGC a 3.5 rating. If there was an option, I would have given this course a 3.75 disc rating but I feel a 3.5 is fair. OGDGC is a great course and I will definitely be coming back down through to play it again.

The almighty Greenway!

5+    4/17/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: stewbeck
Pros: My home course, love it! Challenging even after close to 50 rounds played on it this year. Chainstar baskets (no "chastity belt"). I could keep going but just come out and play this course!
Cons: Only 24 holes