Athens, OH
Ohio University DGC Share
Uploaded By: JoseCafe704 Hole #4 (Taken 10/2010)
Hole #4 Approach

Feeliní Like a Safari?

2-4    1/19/2015   1/20/2015
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: Astonishingly compact in layout, yet still retaining some fun factor, the nine pretty, blue, 24 chain baskets along the little ravine west of the Ping Center on OU's campus allow for some quick safari disc golf enjoyment. The intended layout has distances ranging from 147 to 344 feet, so there's adequate 'D' for the casual to Recreational disc golfer. I noticed the baskets even have caged lights on top (though I'm not sure they're functional: I played on a sunny winter day). Predominantly laid out for the rhbh thrower to fade some shots into the little hill amongst the trees, there is also one shot (hole 4) with a risk/reward creek just past the basket. The little creek has three bridges, if and when you need to cross (holes 5 through 8). The nice thing is that the course survived the new construction adjacent on the west side.
Cons: The lack of tees or signage is a significant detriment to this course being much more than a cluster of baskets. If I hadn't printed a map my first time here, I would have just made up my own layout. That would change this from a 'course' to a 'practice area', which I'm sure the locals actually use it for. With minimal play, and decent lines of sight, I'm sure you can pretty safely get creative with safari opportunities aplenty.

There are none of the usual course amenities here (tees, signs, benches, etc.), and parking for non-students may be a bit of a crap-shoot. I wasn't sure where to park on the Monday holiday I stopped in, so I stayed nervous about getting a ticket as I scooted around the course. I'm sure there's not much in terms of 'legal' parking when school is in session.
Other Thoughts: This is not a 'destination' course by any stretch of the imagination, but if you're in town enjoying OU's other perks (it's rumored to be Ohio's biggest party school), you might toss a few here if you're brimming with enthusiasm. Plus, there's a really strenuous and challenging course just a dozen miles to the north at Hocking College.

OU Course

5+    4/10/2010   8/21/2010
Review By: JoseCafe704
Pros: I went to Ohio University, and for awhile back in '01, this was the only course around, so it gets a 1.5 based solely on a sentimental basis. There is good use put to the old river bed that is now a runoff creek for the nearby pond/park. The holes criss-cross through this area for good use in elevation changes. Holes 1 and 4 have always been my favorites and are a couple of the only holes that haven't changed over the years (see cons below for explanation).
Cons: Course has always been an afterthought to the nearby golf course (as can be expected, as ball golf is more popular on campus than disc golf). This being said, the old course had a bit more thought put into it, but when the ball golf course was extended a few years back, something had to give, and it was the disc golf course. There used to be an awesome hole with a long fairway lined with mature pines on the right (behind Ping Center, past current hole 4, headed towards the golf course). This hole was lost in the golf course extension. Many of the holes criss-cross one another, and if you find yourself approaching cages 4,5, or 7 down in the valley, and you're not the only one playing that day, keep your head up as there's bound to be discs flying somewhere over head. Also, the runoff creek can become inundated in the spring time, making most of the course nearly impossible to play.
Other Thoughts: Miss the old course, but with the popularity of disc golf on the constant rise, I can't imagine OU won't respond with a new course...If my opinion meant anything, I'd suggest a massive course (24+ holes) to be implemented up at the Ridges (old mental hospital owned by the university). There's a ton of land up there that can be used and the traffic isn't terribly high. It's perfect and with the right amount of planning and work, I bet a course of the highest caliber in the state could be put in there.