Coeymans, NY
Joralemon Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #11 (Taken 7/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
A+ - Absolutely not "You're a Lemon"!

1    7/5/2016   7/6/2016
Other Thoughts: Here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses (over 260 played so far)....tied for 10th place:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A
(Amazing in this category overall - very appropriate for Blue level players. All the open holes provide a challenge, even though punishment is minimal for mistakes. Several of the wooded holes are on the "plinko" side (gaps too narrow to navigate by skill - luck factors in a little too much for my liking), but only hole 24 is a true "poke and hope" fairway.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me (I rate only from the long tees). I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == A
(This course is almost perfect in this regard. The 2-3 must-have/gimme birdies are balanced out by hard Par 3s. In my book, my only very minor quibble is 11 (353' - hard 3) & 18 (389' - easy 4) holes in the woods are tweener holes almost always leaving a non-challenging upshot since they are too tight to go for, so conservative play will almost always get you within 100-150'.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography. == A+
(Perfection! As stated in #1, the open holes force accurate landing even if specific flight paths are not forced. The wooded portions force you to make a wide variety of specific shot shapes. And, you are bound to be majorly tested in your creative recovery game.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A+
(The front is a beautiful manicured park, but very remote and isolated from other activities - other than the first and last 2 holes. The back/wooded section (13 holes) is as beautifully wooded as anywhere I have ever been! And, completely secluded from civilization and road noise. Stunning!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == 2 bonus points (out of a possible 5)
(The 5 Par 4s are appreciated, but 2 of them were very short (4 & 18), and the long open ones (9 & 26) did not necessarily reward great placement on the drive. I was very fortunately to run into Greg Kurtz (designer - very much enjoyed meeting you and the gang) and he asked me for thoughts/suggestions....after hearing me out on my effusive praise. I mentioned the only improvement I can think of is adding better Par 4s that have defined landing zones which reward ideal placement within, and make it a real challenge to achieve par if you are in a non-ideal part of the landing zone. There seems to be room in the park for this....but that is my impression only.)

PS: I grade courses on a school grading system...60-100 with no F's and the average/center point being a B-....been doing that for a long time and started transferring my ratings list to the similar 11 level rating system here when this cool/amazing site came online.
I gave this course a grade of 96....which is the low end of an A+, but translates a 5.0 on the DGCR scale. This course benefited slightly by having 27 holes - filler holes are forgivable and more variety is possible.

Jamming @ J-Park

1    3/27/2016   4/1/2016
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Very nice single concrete paver teepads with good tee signs and baskets. 27 or 28 holes with 18 or 27 hole loops. Course provides excellent variation of terrain challenges and hole distances/pars while playing and well designed and fairly easy to navigate. No underbrush or trash and the grass is well maintained and has portapotties. Course is visually appealing.

The front nine is mostly flat and slightly more open than wooded often with the basket raised on rock outcroppings making for some interesting approaches and putts. The front nine also has a creek coming into play near the baskets of hole 5 and 9.

The back 18 features more old school heavy wooded style golf and some fun elevation changes with lots of rock outcroppings and some ridges to play on. Hole 18 might be my favorite.
Cons: Nothing major... only one teepad and basket position. Have to cross a non-park road twice. I did notice some poison ivy vines between hole 3 and 25. I have no idea how I lost a disc somewhere around there. Some people picnic close to fairways. Rocky terrain could lead to busting ankles. No real parking lot or drinking water/restrooms.
Other Thoughts: J-Park feels like a sweet jam session while playing, it's relaxing, not too easy, not too hard, and just the right blend of material. Overall I'd highly recommend this course to anyone looking for a good time!

LOVE IT

1    3/7/2016   3/8/2016
Review By: KVandy66
Pros: 27 hole course, there's an option to play 18, you'll see the sign after hole 11.
Fantastic mix of open courses and wooded.
Elevation is great, it's a solid hike mixed with disc golf, can't get better than that.
The place is gorgeous, rock fixtures everywhere, it just makes it so much more interesting than just open fields and trees.
There's signage at every basket showing you where the next tee is. I really had no issue finding the next hole in any circumstance.
I've been playing for like a year, so I'm not super experienced, and it was challenging, but didn't discourage me or my friend that I went with.
Every hole feels like a new experience, even though holes 20+ start to wrap around back to hole 1, I never felt bored, or that I was playing a hole that I've already played.
Cons: It was my first time playing at this one, so I don't know the parking situation, really. It kind of just seemed like a driveway that lead right to the pavilion by the tee of hole 1. There was no real parking lot that we could easily see.

Well worth the trip!

1    12/27/2015   12/29/2015
Review By: Leegould
Pros: This is an amazing course! I was visiting family in Troy and decided to make the drive down and was very glad I did. Tons of unique challenging holes. The wooded holes are especially fun and the use of the use of the glacier boulders made things interesting.
Tee pads were level and large. The locals I played with were also very friendly and fun to play with.
Cons: Some fairways were ridiculously tight with the role of luck being too much of a factor.

Joralemon Park

5+    5/2/2015   9/18/2015
Review By: KnickerbockerLAG
This review was updated on 10/31/2015
Pros: -27 holes (28 if you count 12b)
-practice basket and pavilion
-great design and thought put into each hole
-gorgeous scenery: boulders, trees, a stream, manicured lawns and more.
-holes that range from relatively straight forward to downright difficult
-The sugar maples in the fall!
-Good signage.
-nice paver teepads on every hole
Cons: -lots of poison ivy
-4 wheelers and dirtbikes
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best in the tri-state area

Taking the Lemon out of Joralemon

1    8/20/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: 28 holes of disc golf at Joralemon Park DGC, I did the 27 hole experience. I guess I should have played 12B for a more complete review, but I have a feeling that hole was as good as any other. The others were good, too. Joralemon Park is vast, and offers the classic wide open grass covered city park style, as well as wooded more natural landscape as well. Both are done well, but I prefer the added challenge and beauty of playing in the woods. The first 9 are the more open variety, and they range just over 250', to over 550' in length. There are enough trees to hide pin locations, and the tees are commonly nestled in clusters of trees as well. The fairway variations kept me from getting that feeling of heavy repetition. I really liked hole 4, a 460' par 4 that hides the basket on a hill in the trees to the left side. The fairway on the Mossy Grotto of 3, and this rocky green on hole 4 gives a small hint of things to come. There is some water in play, like behind the 5th basket, and around the green on hole 9. Hole 10 is across the street, and it introduces you to the wooded middle holes, but 11 brings "Swamp Thing". Giant moss covered boulders, dense woods and moderate elevation changes dominate here through hole 20. I loved this section of Joralemon. Picking favorites isn't easy, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18 and 19 were all great IMHO. It did wreck my scorecard for a run, I was 4 shots over on holes 11-14. I did get a couple shots back with birdies two holes with good nicknames: 16 (Rock and Bowl) and 19 (Heartbreak Ridge). 21 is over 400', along a road leading out of the forrest and back across the street. Hole 22 returns to the park area featuring grass fields and less elevation change. 23 and 24 kind of have elements of park and woods where another pair of boulders rest under a group of thick trees. 23 is called "Pedestal" and the basket is near the giant rocks. 24 is named "Funnel" and the small end is the tee in the trees opening up to the basket in the open end. 25, "the Ceiling" has tree canopy forcing a low, line drive to carry you close to the target. 26 is a nice one that cuts the corner of the tennis courts, and into a pocket in the fringes of the trees. The namesake "Lighthouse" is on the green. 27 is known as "Holy Roller" but I just went with a conventional RHBH drive. I bogeyed, but a roller can't help bad putting. All of the parts on the course were good enough for me. Concrete pavers installed on the tees were level and even. The signs at each one had hole number, distance, map, nickname, and local sponsors. Additional squiggly white arrows pointed transitions from one hole to the next. Another sign gives the directions at the fork in the road, 18 hole loop (using hole 12B), or 27 holes (on to 13).
Cons: Layout might be tough to follow in spots, but printing the map linked to the course page helps a lot. 27 was a nice hole, but it was also home to a bunch of ground bees near the basket. A park staffer was mowing and gave me a heads up. If you see a random tree branch sticking out of the grass, it may be telling you something.
Other Thoughts: There are many good things about the Joralemon Park DGC. Almost any course with holes in addition to the standard 18, is at least a little better. When the extra is added into an area this beautiful, you can't lose. Rating of 4.25 would be my call, but I'll round up to 4.5, because I am bad at math, and 4 seems too low.

First NY course!

1    8/24/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: seanyboyhoward
This review was updated on 2/24/2015
Pros: Many of the holes were incorporated into the rocks and the rest of the terrain and made the course both fun and challenging. Baskets were in great shape, course was clean and park looked very well kept. Tee pads were also in great shape and it was not crowded at all for a Saturday morning.

Park was awesome, great greenage and swamps and streams and the bugs werent bad at all, wear bug spray.
Cons: I did have a few cons for this course:

Signage: if a course has poor signage it is a killer for me. I don't want to worry about where to go next, make it easy for me. Worst were between 5 and 6 and 12b-22. 5,6 just put something in the direction of the mulch path, i just assumed to go over the awesome bridge...nope. 12b-22 says go across the road but when you get over there, there is no signs, stick one on the guard rail. Also the squiggly white things on the trees are cool but not helpful. Also hole 4, the tee pad is facing directly out into the wide open field making it seem like the pin is out over the rock wall, but it is way to the left up the rock obstacles and difficult to see. Put a flag on 4 basket to see.

Layout: you throw the same shot frequently. Wide open fair way into a guarded basket. There is SO much land at this park and across the street, make longer, different and unique holes. Also going from 3-4 you have to walk right next to 25? basket. You have a great chance of getting in the way. Like i said so much land that shouldn't be possible.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here and would encourage people to go there and play. There is SO much land for there to be an awesome 18 holes instead of a repetitive 27 or even an awesome 27, the use of the land could be better.

Phish golf weekend

2-4    7/5/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: This is one of those courses that you will be glad that you played. When you get to Hole 3, you will most likely smile at the beauty of the hole and really begin to enjoy your round. You'll soon be climbing over some rock outcroppings, wandering through some beautiful fields, pass a nice little creek, and most likely will be enjoying your time out here at Joralemon.

It's a great course with lots of variety, with emphasis on being able to throw the various 250-350 foot shots that top golfers should be able to throw. It's one of those courses where you can birdie a lot of the holes, but you will have to be able to execute good shots to do so.

The landscape is phenomenal, the tee pads are great, direction signs are cool, and the holes are enjoyable.
Cons: Being the middle of summer, the biggest issues I saw were a couple of trees that needed some pole-saw work done. Hole 7 I believe in particular?? But at the same time, it was fine as-is.

Hole 8, it would be nice to see the bush near the basket removed, as it is only 5 feet away and covered in poison ivy. Either move the pin 35 feet, or just clear out that cluster of crap and the hole becomes 100 times more enjoyable as it is a beautiful hole that requires a great shot to get your 2.

Mosquitoes in the wooded holes, but not unbearable. I could see them bothering some people.

Other Thoughts: I was in town for the Phish shows and am very glad that I came here to play. I really enjoyed my time here. I ended up playing 54 holes for the weekend, and had a great time.

All of the locals were very friendly. The park was beautiful, and I had a great time. Great course that you guys should be proud of.

Coming from PIttsburgh, 90% of the time, playing a new course can be somewhat dissapointing, but Joralemon did not disappoint. One of those courses that you will remember playing 20 years from now.

our "home" course

5+    4/12/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: 3ertram
Pros: 27 holes of everything, open long shots and plenty of tricky in the woods, hole 16 is my favourie
Cons: nothing really, make sure you check for ticks, if you have played in summer the holes in the woods
Other Thoughts: we live in Saratoga, but the drive is always worth

Gem of Northeast Disc Golf

5+    9/15/2013   2/7/2014
Review By: chainsseeker
Pros: Great variation of holes. Lots of technical shots. Water hazards, fields, rocky terrain, thin/thick woods.
Easily navigated, signs, nice long concrete pads.
Great use of elevation through the woods.
Cons: Fairways arent very well defined for the most part.
Walking to hole 3 from the 2nd basket (around 25th basket) is kind of strange and confusing.

Hole 2 and Hole 26 have potential for the playground and tennis courts coming into play, particularly with new players/ on a windy day.
Other Thoughts: Never crowded when I have been (usually weekends). Great park, great design, great disc golf!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5