Okmulgee, OK
Okmulgee Municipal Park Share
Uploaded By: sandford Hole #9 (Taken 3/2011)
-- / 345ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Needs Rescue

1    8/29/2014   8/30/2014
Review By: OILEE
This review was updated on 9/2/2014
Pros: Mature trees at 3 of the 5 baskets I played. I found 5 baskets (one with a single chain marked number 2) and 2 tee signs (sunbaked and unreadable). I found numbers on 4 of the 5 baskets (#2, #7, #8 and #9). The basket that is nearest the parking lot is #6 (I think). I played it safari style. Like the other reviews, it has potential (mature trees and some open areas for long shots).
Cons: I guess there is no DG Club in this town to take care of the course.
Other Thoughts: If in Okmulgee, play the nine hole course at OSU Tech (it has concrete tees with tee signs).

A shell of its former self

1    8/2/2013   8/4/2013
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: There are still 3 usable baskets.
The park itself is clean and well kept.
There is ample parking by the YMCA and swimming pool.
There were a few trees in the middle of the park that could have been incorporated to make a couple of good holes.
The trees that were up by the cemetery might have been used to make a couple of technical holes.
Cons: This course (if you want to call it a course) only has 3 standing baskets, 1 (#2 that only has 1 chain, that's right 1 chain), and another (#7 that has been ripped out of the ground cement and all and thrown across the road and mowed over and around) that are left.
I only saw 2 tee signs and they were totally blank. There isn't really a course here just the remains of a course that has apparently been this way for several years.
You really have no idea what the layout of the course was because there is just so little of the course that is left.
For the most part this course plays in the open area in the middle of the park and there wasn't a whole lot of line shaping to be done.
Other Thoughts: I really hate to give a course a zero and this course came close in my books but I just couldn't do it. There were 3 baskets that were there so safari action could be made up if you were that desperate for a round. I only played here to bag another course and threw to the 3 baskets safari style and made up my own 9 holes and called it a day.
It was funny/sad when I threw my first shot and a kid at the pool asked their friend, "What's that guy doing?" That pretty much sums up this place.
Don't waste your time with this course unless you are a serious course bagger or you have a good sense of humor and like to invent you own course. You will be better off saving your gas and driving across town to the OSU Tech course. Its a better play.
So sad to see a course this neglected and forgotten.

Needs a lot of TLC

1    3/19/2011   3/25/2011
Review By: sandford
Pros: DISTANCE VARIETY (5% weight) - 3 - I think there is distance variety, but hard to tell without a course map or signage. The course I kind of "made up" as I played had both short and long holes....
BENCHES / TRASH BINS (3% weight) - 4 - There are plenty of trash cans and benches in the park, but not necessarily at the tee locations.
PARKING (2% weight) - 5 - Plenty of free parking!
Cons: OVERALL FUN FACTOR (16% weight) - 0 - It was not fun at all, just frustrating to try and figure out the holes and when you do try to avoid hitting people with your discs on boring shots.
COURSE DESIGN (14% weight) - 0 - It seems like holes 1 and 2 both throw through a cemetery - pretty tacky and disrespectful, but I may be wrong on this because I could not find any maps or defined tee locations for these holes. Other holes are just throwing in an open field and a few through right over the very busy walking path at the park.
SIGNS/MAPS/MARKERS (11% weight) - 0.5 - Looks like at one point there were nice DGA signs ordered, but they are all faded and the numbers / letters are peeled off so you can't tell the hole lengths or tee numbers on most of them. Many of them are missing also.
TEE PADS (8% weight) - 0.5 - I could not find any defined teepads at all, bust just be the ground next to the tee signs
ELEVATION (8% weight) - 1 - Only holes 1 and 2 seemed to have any elevation, but I may be wrong about this. All the rest are just on flat ground.
SCENIC BEAUTY (8% weight) - 2 - The park is pretty much an open space with a cemetery hill on the side
BASKETS (5% weight) - 0.5 - I could only find 7 baskets, they are old DGA baskets, and of those 7 =, one had very few chains and a few others had broken chains.
EPIC HOLES (5% weight) - 0 - none to speak of.
SHOT VARIETY (5% weight) - 1 - most all shots are relatively open
FOLIAGE MAINTENANCE (3% weight) - 2 - while the grass is mowed, there were a few felled trees / branches that had not yet been picked up
MIX OF TIGHT AND OPEN (3% weight) - 1 - most all shots are relatively open
OVERALL CHALLENGE (3% weight) - 1 - It was a challenge to figure out what the holes were, but the play itself was not challenging
CROWDED? (3% weight) - 1 - Park is very crowded with people walking the exercise loop, kids running around and playing and people flying kites, playing soccer, etc. But I did not see any other DG players there. Most people were looking at me funny when I was throwing frisbees and the distorted metal targets so I don't' think the regular park goers really even know what disc golf is.
Other Thoughts: It wouldn't take much to make this course more playable:
- a course map
- defined tee locations
- re-post over existing signs
- repair broken baskets and add a couple more
- possibly re-route holes to avoid the walking paths
- make the cemetary OB

It's too bad because it seems like this park gets plenty of traffic from the townsfolk - even with bored looking teenagers that might like the game if they were properly introduced to it.

Okmulgee

1    2/8/2010   2/9/2010
Review By: Air Gator
Pros: Potential...that's it.
Cons: Not enough space...I'm not being rude, just trying to save others the frustration. The signs are worthless; baskets must be missing; chains missing from one basket. Should not be listed as 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: Nice place to practice...serves as a decent driving range.

Needs Love

1    3/17/2009   1/7/2010
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This was the last course I played in a marathon attempt to cram the Tulsa area over a warm spring break day in March and as the sun set on the park near the creek , the weather was perfect and it was a great ending to more than 90 different holes in one day. The park and the town are lovely; however it just did not extend to the course.
Cons: The great disc golf scene in Tulsa heads south just south of Tulsa. Warned by DGCR reviewer notrpmp (who's review is spot on) in person just a few short hours before, I had to see for myself. Without any knowledge to the politics of the park and available lands, I have to question if this was the best land. There are not many trees or hills.

Number one, when you finally do find it, is located near both the parking lot and the side of a hill that belongs mostly to a cemetery. I just don't feel right teeing off on top of the dead. One fairway had a soccer field that was in use in the middle of it and the course struggles to find any noteworthy obstacles usually having the basket or tee area find one of the few very mature trees. There is a paved walking trail that circles the park and comes into play in many parts. I met am older couple on it who told me that they haven't seen anyone use the baskets in years.

To say that the course runs by a creek is correct but in full disclosure the creek is actually very far from the fairway down a very steep hill of jagged rocks that make climbing a tough go. A review of this course is encapsulated in the sight of a basket bent out of shape and resting on the ground hugging a pole beneath set of random rusted chains. A state of disrepair that was mostly blamed on the wind, but it's not hard to imagine a rouge vandal, bored to destruction in Okmulgee.
Other Thoughts: How do things get like this? I imagine that park was once the setting for a local disc golf enthusiast given permission to build a suitable course a decade or more ago. I'm shocked that the established date for this course is 2001 I would have guessed late 80's. Hopefully as the popularity of disc golf grows the locals will adopt this course and give it the treatment the original builders and designers had intended.

I drove away happy to have played, happy that the night air was cooling me off, laughing to myself about the comedy of errors that this place has somehow become. I wish I could adopt this course and put in the work myself but that not my place, I guess I'll leave it to the people of Okmulgee.

Playable but not great

1    1/1/2009   1/1/2009
Review By: notrpmp
Pros: Set in a nice park that runs along a creek for 2 holes. Mostly flat, Not too many trees, wide open drives. Grass tees but most of the holes have 3 cinder blocks in the ground to mark the tee boxes.
Cons: Course layout is pretty straight forward if you can find the first tee box which i did not so i kind of improvised for holes 1 and 2 which also run along an old cemetary which i thought was kind of cool but most people wouldn't like it i dont believe. If the tees for 1 and 2 were at the top of the hill in the cemetary that would be real nice. A few of the baskets that are sitting under trees are missing chains and are all bent up from the ice storm. Not much variety and could have used other parts of the park for a different harder 9 hole or expand to an 18 there is plenty of room. Hole 7 throws near a parking lot so watch out for parked cars and pedestrians walking on the trails here.
Other Thoughts: Some repairs on the baskets and 3 tee signs and this course is all set, but it seems this course has been in this condition for a while with no signs of repair.

Needs a little work

4/17/2008   4/17/2008
Review By: gravedigger
Pros: Well kept park. Real big area.
Cons: Very tough to navigate. Some tee boxes seemed almost non existent. A lot of openess.
Other Thoughts: It has potential. Some solid, defined tee boxes would do wonders.