Pebble Beach, CA
Old Sawmill Share
Uploaded By: lion Hole #13 (Taken 7/2012)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Doesn't live up to the Legend

1    7/10/2003   1/5/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros: - Amazing, breathtaking views near the end of the course (if you make it that far)
- Shots unlike anything you have seen before, with plenty of variety: some long, some short. Tunnel shots, wide open shots, low ceiling shots
- No waiting at holes as there is hardly anyone ever there
- Plenty of opportunities for Safari, in fact, it's almost mandatory in some sections
- Lots of obstacles to play around
Cons: - No baskets, no tees, relatively no markings
- First timers absolutely need a guide, and there doesn't seem to be one available nowadays
- Heavy local spot - it's quite tough for out of town players to "stop in" and play
- Really no elevation changes on the first 2/3rds of the course
- "Ocean views" in the description is a little misleading. The majority of the course is in the woods with a view of, well, trees.
Other Thoughts: I hit this course on a road trip a few years back up the Cali coast. I read all about it on the PDGA website and it was one of the courses that intrigued me the most. I called the listed course guide 4 times (he is still listed on the PDGA course directory) and didn't manage to get him to answer the phone or return any of my messages, which I was quite put off by. I even called him a week in advance to give him time to plan. We tried to play anyway, but nothing is marked, there are no tees, and the holes are objects.

I'm not sure if the "Object target" concept is a Norcal thing, but it is not popular in Socal or any other locations I've seen. I and my fellow players find it quite boring and a bit half a$$ed if you will. I understand it is better than nothing, but it just does not do it for me. I love the sound of my disc hitting chains! Not the gong of a pole...

We played the course anyway and maybe found a total of 8 holes out of the 24. Saw some Lumberjacks out there that had never heard of disc golf, and we were not able to locate the "Signature hole" that plays "845 feet down to the water".

This course seems heavily hyped by a small group of locals, but it just doesn't live up to any of the hype. Only go if you have a guide, and keep in mind it is more of an improvisational course than anything.

Watch out for Poison oak! I got it bad on this trip.

Epic course

5+    10/4/2008   11/10/2008
Review By: Weebl
Pros: Very challenging and has some very memorable holes. Almost guaranteed to be the only ones playing. Beautiful scenery.
Cons: You need a guide, who not only knows the tees/pins but those occasional spots where you do NOT want to go. Can be very discouraging for first few times unless very experienced. Because its on a hill facing the ocean with water less than 3 miles away, weather can change quickly so bring layers. Some teepads can be dangerous..
Other Thoughts: Very very wooded to the point where some holes barely have a path to walk on because the brush is so dense. Makes one learn and use a variety of shots from sidearm, skips, grenades, overhands and every air shot line imaginable. Helps to have a local show you for first few times. This course is perfect for a tough doubles round, or a singles round if your very experienced. Overall this is one of my favorite courses of all time, the only thing keeping my rating from a 5 is in how unforgiving this course is to beginners and how teepads can be very slippery/dangerous due to the granite rock foundation on the upper section.